Genomes and Genes
epithelial cell adhesion molecule
Summary: A cell adhesion molecule that is expressed on the membranes of nearly all EPITHELIAL CELLS, especially at the junctions between intestinal epithelial cells and intraepithelial LYMPHOCYTES. It also is expressed on the surface of ADENOCARCINOMA and epithelial tumor cells. It may function in the MUCOSA through homophilic interactions to provide a barrier against infection. It also regulates the proliferation and differentiation of EMBRYONIC STEM CELLS.
- Willuda J, Honegger A, Waibel R, Schubiger P, Stahel R, Zangemeister Wittke U, et al. High thermal stability is essential for tumor targeting of antibody fragments: engineering of a humanized anti-epithelial glycoprotein-2 (epithelial cell adhesion molecule) single-chain Fv fragment. Cancer Res. 1999;59:5758-67 pubmed..This is also the first report of using a humanized anti-EGP-2 scFv in vivo for targeting solid tumors, which is a promising targeting moiety for the diagnostics and therapy of EGP-2-positive tumors in patients. ..
- Cho Y, Kwon D, Kang S. The Cooperative Role of CD326+ and CD11b+ Dendritic Cell Subsets for a Hapten-Induced Th2 Differentiation. J Immunol. 2017;199:3137-3146 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our findings highlight at least two DC subsets that play a critical role in polarizing naive CD4+ T cells to Th2 cells and support a two-hit model for Th2 differentiation. ..
- Kasper M, Behrens J, Schuh D, Muller M. Distribution of E-cadherin and Ep-CAM in the human lung during development and after injury. Histochem Cell Biol. 1995;103:281-6 pubmed..In contrast, E-cadherin expression was characterized by a change of the membrane localization to a spotty, cytoplasmic pattern in the alveolar epithelium, possibly indicating functional inactivation of the protein during fibrogenesis. ..
- Setiawan M, Tan X, Goh T, Hin Fai Yam G, Mehta J. Inhibiting glycogen synthase kinase-3 and transforming growth factor-? signaling to promote epithelial transition of human adipose mesenchymal stem cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;490:1381-1388 pubmed publisher..1 ZEB1, integrin ?5 ITGA5 and vimentin VIM) and up-regulation of epithelial genes (E-cadherin, Epithelial Cell Adhesion Molecule EpCAM, Zonula Occludens-1 ZO-1, occludin, deltaN p63 ?Np63, Transcription Factor 4 TCF4 and Twist ..
- Athyala P, Kanwar J, Chitipothu S, Kanwar R, Krishnakumar S, Watson J, et al. Neocarzinostatin, Aptamer Conjugates for Targeting EpCAM-positive Tumor Cells. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3615-3629 pubmedThe aim of this study was to investigate the role of Neocarzinostatin (NCS) conjugated with epithelial cell adhesion molecule (EpCAM) aptamer in EpCAM-positive cancer cells...
- Vargas Parra G, GonzÃ¡lez Acosta M, Thompson B, GÃ³mez C, FernÃ¡ndez A, DÃ¡maso E, et al. Elucidating the molecular basis of MSH2-deficient tumors by combined germline and somatic analysis. Int J Cancer. 2017;141:1365-1380 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our comprehensive strategy combining germline and somatic mutational status of CRC-associated genes by means of a subexome panel allows the elucidation of up to 86% of MSH2-deficient suspected LS tumors. ..
- Ding J, Zhou X, Zou H, Wu J. Hedgehog signaling pathway affects the sensitivity of hepatoma cells to drug therapy through the ABCC1 transporter. Lab Invest. 2017;97:819-832 pubmed publisher..Hedgehog signaling transcription factor Gli-2 appears to be the primary regulator for drug sensitivity of hepatoma through the ABCC1 transporter. ..
- Bedford Guaus S, Kim S, Mulero L, Vaquero J, Morera C, Adan Milanès R, et al. Molecular markers of putative spermatogonial stem cells in the domestic cat. Reprod Domest Anim. 2017;52 Suppl 2:177-186 pubmed publisher..Fluorescence-activated cell sorting (FACS) with an antibody against epithelial cell adhesion molecule (EPCAM) was used to sort live cells...
- Johnson E, Anand R, Chiu D. Improved detection by ensemble-decision aliquot ranking of circulating tumor cells with low numbers of a targeted surface antigen. Anal Chem. 2015;87:9389-95 pubmed publisher..epithelial character, which is manifested by the expression of the cell surface antigen known as epithelial cell adhesion molecule (EpCAM)...
- Balzar M, Winter M, de Boer C, Litvinov S. The biology of the 17-1A antigen (Ep-CAM). J Mol Med (Berl). 1999;77:699-712 pubmed..This 40-kDa glycoprotein functions as an Epithelial Cell Adhesion Molecule, therefore the name Ep-CAM was suggested...
- Peters I, van der Steen M, Huisman B, Hilders C, Smit V, Vahrmeijer A, et al. Morphological and phenotypical features of ovarian metastases in breast cancer patients. BMC Cancer. 2017;17:206 pubmed publisher..human epidermal growth receptor type 2 (Her2/neu), carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA), ?v?6 integrin and epithelial cell adhesion molecule (EpCAM)...
- Strati A, Kasimir Bauer S, Markou A, Parisi C, Lianidou E. Comparison of three molecular assays for the detection and molecular characterization of circulating tumor cells in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res. 2013;15:R20 pubmed publisher..Discordances could be attributed to the different gene transcripts used to evaluate CTC positivity. Our results indicate the importance of CTC heterogeneity for their detection by different analytical methodologies. ..
- Song Y, Liu C, Liu X, Trottier J, Beaudoin M, Zhang L, et al. H19 promotes cholestatic liver fibrosis by preventing ZEB1-mediated inhibition of epithelial cell adhesion molecule. Hepatology. 2017;66:1183-1196 pubmed publisher..H19 down-regulated hepatic zinc finger E-box-binding homeobox 1 (ZEB1) but up-regulated epithelial cell adhesion molecule (EpCAM) and SRY (sex determining region Y)-box 9 expression...
- Kastrinos F, Uno H, Ukaegbu C, Alvero C, McFarland A, Yurgelun M, et al. Development and Validation of the PREMM5 Model for Comprehensive Risk Assessment of Lynch Syndrome. J Clin Oncol. 2017;35:2165-2172 pubmed publisher..At this threshold, PREMM5 provides performance that is superior to the existing PREMM1,2,6 model in the identification of carriers of LS, including those with weaker phenotypes and individuals unaffected by cancer. ..
- Lustberg M, Balasubramanian P, Miller B, Garcia Villa A, Deighan C, Wu Y, et al. Heterogeneous atypical cell populations are present in blood of metastatic breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res. 2014;16:R23 pubmed publisherCirculating tumor cells (CTCs) are commonly isolated from the blood by targeting the epithelial cell adhesion molecule (EpCAM) through positive selection...
- Babaei M, Abnous K, Taghdisi S, Amel Farzad S, Peivandi M, Ramezani M, et al. Synthesis of theranostic epithelial cell adhesion molecule targeted mesoporous silica nanoparticle with gold gatekeeper for hepatocellular carcinoma. Nanomedicine (Lond). 2017;12:1261-1279 pubmed publisherIn this study, we report the fabrication of epithelial cell adhesion molecule targeted 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) encapsulated PEGylated mesoporous silica nanoparticles (NPs) hybridized with gold NPs (PEG-Au@Si-5-FU) as gatekeeper for ..
- Nagasato M, Rin Y, Yamamoto Y, Henmi M, Hiraoka N, Chiwaki F, et al. A Tumor-targeting Adenovirus with High Gene-transduction Efficiency for Primary Pancreatic Cancer and Ascites Cells. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3599-3605 pubmed..For ascites samples, both vectors increased gene-transduction efficiency of epithelial cell adhesion molecule (EpCAM)-positive ascites cells by >2-fold in two out of five cases...
- Seto K, Sakabe T, Itaba N, Azumi J, Oka H, Morimoto M, et al. A Novel Small-molecule WNT Inhibitor, IC-2, Has the Potential to Suppress Liver Cancer Stem Cells. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3569-3579 pubmed..CSC marker-positive populations, namely CD90-positive HLF cells, CD133-positive HepG2 cells, and epithelial cell adhesion molecule-positive cells, were also reduced by IC-2 treatment...
- Espenschied C, Laduca H, Li S, McFarland R, Gau C, Hampel H. Multigene Panel Testing Provides a New Perspective on Lynch Syndrome. J Clin Oncol. 2017;35:2568-2575 pubmed publisher..These data also highlight the limitations of current testing criteria in identifying these patients, as well as the need for further investigation of cancer risks in patients with MMR mutations. ..
- Hayashi T, Yamashita T, Okada H, Oishi N, Sunagozaka H, Nio K, et al. A Novel mTOR Inhibitor; Anthracimycin for the Treatment of Human Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3397-3403 pubmed
- Lampignano R, Schneck H, Neumann M, Fehm T, Neubauer H. Enrichment, Isolation and Molecular Characterization of EpCAM-Negative Circulating Tumor Cells. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2017;994:181-203 pubmed publisher..Finally, the latest findings in the field will briefly be discussed with regard to their clinical relevance. ..
- Brunk F, Michel C, Holland Letz T, Slynko A, Kopp Schneider A, Kyewski B, et al. Dissecting and modeling the emergent murine TEC compartment during ontogeny. Eur J Immunol. 2017;47:1153-1159 pubmed publisher..These emergent MHCIIhi CD80- cTECs directly generate mature MHCIIhi CD80hi mTECs in vivo and in vitro, thus supporting the asynchronous model of TEC lineage commitment. ..