Genomes and Genes
Summary: A desmosomal cadherin that is an autoantigen in the acquired skin disorder PEMPHIGUS FOLIACEUS.
- Payne A, Siegel D, Stanley J. Targeting pemphigus autoantibodies through their heavy-chain variable region genes. J Invest Dermatol. 2007;127:1681-91 pubmed..Together, these data suggest novel V(H) gene-targeted approaches toward PV treatment. ..
- Amagai M, Tsunoda K, Suzuki H, Nishifuji K, Koyasu S, Nishikawa T. Use of autoantigen-knockout mice in developing an active autoimmune disease model for pemphigus. J Clin Invest. 2000;105:625-31 pubmed..This model will be valuable for developing novel therapeutic strategies. Furthermore, our approach can be applied broadly for the development of various autoimmune disease models. ..
- Kallel Sellami M, Ben Ayed M, Mouquet H, Drouot L, Zitouni M, Mokni M, et al. Anti-desmoglein 1 antibodies in Tunisian healthy subjects: arguments for the role of environmental factors in the occurrence of Tunisian pemphigus foliaceus. Clin Exp Immunol. 2004;137:195-200 pubmedPemphigus foliaceus is an autoimmune blistering skin disease mediated by autoantibodies directed against desmoglein 1 and occurs as a sporadic form throughout the world, or as an endemic form called fogo selvagem in Brazil...
- Yokouchi M, Saleh M, Kuroda K, Hachiya T, Stanley J, Amagai M, et al. Pathogenic epitopes of autoantibodies in pemphigus reside in the amino-terminal adhesive region of desmogleins which are unmasked by proteolytic processing of prosequence. J Invest Dermatol. 2009;129:2156-66 pubmed publisher..These findings support the idea that at least some pathogenic pemphigus autoantibodies induce the loss of cell adhesion by directly binding the trans-interaction site of Dsgs. ..
- Abreu Velez A, Javier Patiño P, Montoya F, Bollag W. The tryptic cleavage product of the mature form of the bovine desmoglein 1 ectodomain is one of the antigen moieties immunoprecipitated by all sera from symptomatic patients affected by a new variant of endemic pemphigus. Eur J Dermatol. 2003;13:359-66 pubmed..This study confirms the biological importance of the ectodomain of Dsg1 as well as the relevance of conformational epitopes in various types of pemphigus. ..
- Schleifer S, Versteeg S, van Oost B, Willemse T. Familial footpad hyperkeratosis and inheritance of keratin 2, keratin 9, and desmoglein 1 in two pedigrees of Irish Terriers. Am J Vet Res. 2003;64:715-20 pubmedTo investigate the possibility that variants in the acidic or basic keratin genes or in desmoglein 1 may cause the clinical manifestation of familial footpad hyperkeratosis in Irish Terriers...
- Kozlowska A, Hashimoto T, Jarzabek Chorzelska M, Amagai A, Nagata Y, Strasz Z, et al. Pemphigus herpetiformis with IgA and IgG antibodies to desmoglein 1 and IgG antibodies to desmocollin 3. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2003;48:117-22 pubmed..features of pemphigus herpetiformis associated with IgG and IgA anti-keratinocyte cell surface antibodies to desmoglein 1 (Dsg1) and exclusively IgG antibodies to desmocollin 3 (Dsc3)...
- Ayed M, Martel P, Zitouni M, Gilbert D, Turki H, Mokni M, et al. Tunisian endemic pemphigus foliaceus is associated with desmoglein 1 gene polymorphism. Genes Immun. 2002;3:378-9 pubmedb>Desmoglein 1 is the target antigen and probably the initiating immunogen of the autoantibody response in pemphigus foliaceus (PF), a blistering autoimmune skin disease...
- Hanakawa Y, Matsuyoshi N, Stanley J. Expression of desmoglein 1 compensates for genetic loss of desmoglein 3 in keratinocyte adhesion. J Invest Dermatol. 2002;119:27-31 pubmed..These studies show that desmoglein-1 can compensate for loss of desmoglein-3-mediated adhesion, and provide genetic evidence confirming the desmoglein compensation hypothesis. ..
- Mahoney M, Simpson A, Aho S, Uitto J, Pulkkinen L. Interspecies conservation and differential expression of mouse desmoglein gene family. Exp Dermatol. 2002;11:115-25 pubmed..In summary, while desmogleins share high homology at both the gene and protein level, their expression is spatially and temporally regulated, potentially contributing to their significant role in cell-cell adhesion during development. ..
- King I, Angst B, Hunt D, Kruger M, Arnemann J, Buxton R. Hierarchical expression of desmosomal cadherins during stratified epithelial morphogenesis in the mouse. Differentiation. 1997;62:83-96 pubmed..Upregulation of DSG1 message was temporally linked to that of DSG3 in all tissues apart from the non-glandular gastric epithelium. ..
- Anzai H, Stanley J, Amagai M. Production of low titers of anti-desmoglein 1 IgG autoantibodies in some patients with staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome. J Invest Dermatol. 2006;126:2139-41 pubmed
- Schmidt E, Dähnrich C, Rosemann A, Probst C, Komorowski L, Saschenbrecker S, et al. Novel ELISA systems for antibodies to desmoglein 1 and 3: correlation of disease activity with serum autoantibody levels in individual pemphigus patients. Exp Dermatol. 2010;19:458-63 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the use of the ectodomains of Dsg 3 and 1 as target antigens expressed in a human cell line resulted in sensitive and specific ELISA systems for both diagnosis and monitoring of PV and PF. ..
- Wu H, Wang Z, Yan A, Lyle S, Fakharzadeh S, Wahl J, et al. Protection against pemphigus foliaceus by desmoglein 3 in neonates. N Engl J Med. 2000;343:31-5 pubmed
- Harman K, Gratian M, Seed P, Bhogal B, Challacombe S, Black M. Diagnosis of pemphigus by ELISA: a critical evaluation of two ELISAs for the detection of antibodies to the major pemphigus antigens, desmoglein 1 and 3. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2000;25:236-40 pubmed..The Dsg 1 and Dsg 3 ELISAs also provided objective, quantitative, reproducible data which allowed differentiation of PV from PF and in view of these advantages, they are likely to become a routine technique in diagnostic laboratories. ..
- Sharma V, Prasad H, Khandpur S, Kumar A. Evaluation of desmoglein enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) in Indian patients with pemphigus vulgaris. Int J Dermatol. 2006;45:518-22 pubmedTo evaluate the role of the enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) test for the detection of antibodies to desmoglein 1 (dsg1) and desmoglein 3 (dsg3) in the diagnosis of pemphigus vulgaris (PV), and its correlation with disease ..
- Mouquet H, Farci S, Joly P, Maillere B, Leblond J, Drouot L, et al. A truncated alternative spliced isoform of human desmoglein 1 contains a specific T cell epitope binding to the pemphigus foliaceus-associated HLA class II DRbeta1*0102 molecule. J Immunol. 2006;177:6517-26 pubmed..These data provide an illustration of an autoantigen encoded by alternative spliced transcript that may participate in the pathogenesis of the disease by bearing PF-associated HLA class II restricted-epitope. ..
- Diaz L, Prisayanh P, Dasher D, Li N, Evangelista F, Aoki V, et al. The IgM anti-desmoglein 1 response distinguishes Brazilian pemphigus foliaceus (fogo selvagem) from other forms of pemphigus. J Invest Dermatol. 2008;128:667-75 pubmedFogo selvagem (FS) and pemphigus foliaceus (PF) possess pathogenic IgG anti-desmoglein 1-(Dsg1) autoantibodies. Although PF occurs sporadically, FS is endemic in Limao Verde (LV), Brazil (3.4% prevalence)...
- Waschke J, Spindler V, Bruggeman P, Zillikens D, Schmidt G, Drenckhahn D. Inhibition of Rho A activity causes pemphigus skin blistering. J Cell Biol. 2006;175:721-7 pubmed..hallmarks of pemphigus pathogenesis such as epidermal blistering in human skin, cell dissociation, and loss of desmoglein 1 (Dsg 1)-mediated binding probed by laser tweezers...
- Petzl Erler M, Malheiros D. Pemphigus foliaceus and desmoglein 1 gene polymorphism: is there any relationship?. J Autoimmun. 2005;25:121-5 pubmed..Autoantibodies to desmoglein 1 (dsg1) are a hallmark of pemphigus foliaceus (PF), a disease characterized by skin blistering resulting from ..
- Wong M, Cheang M, Yorida E, Coldman A, Gilks C, Huntsman D, et al. Loss of desmoglein 1 expression associated with worse prognosis in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma patients. Pathology. 2008;40:611-6 pubmed publisher..Seventy-eight cases of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma were immunohistochemically stained for desmoglein 1, desmoglein 2, desmoglein 3, p53, bcl-2, vimentin, cyclin D1, p16, p21, p27, E-cadherin, and E2F-1 in paraffin-..
- Jamora M, Jiao D, Bystryn J. Antibodies to desmoglein 1 and 3, and the clinical phenotype of pemphigus vulgaris. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2003;48:976-7 pubmed
- Descargues P, Deraison C, Bonnart C, Kreft M, Kishibe M, Ishida Yamamoto A, et al. Spink5-deficient mice mimic Netherton syndrome through degradation of desmoglein 1 by epidermal protease hyperactivity. Nat Genet. 2005;37:56-65 pubmed..LEKTI deficiency causes abnormal desmosome cleavage in the upper granular layer through degradation of desmoglein 1 due to stratum corneum tryptic enzyme and stratum corneum chymotryptic enzyme-like hyperactivity...
- Getsios S, Amargo E, Dusek R, Ishii K, Sheu L, Godsel L, et al. Coordinated expression of desmoglein 1 and desmocollin 1 regulates intercellular adhesion. Differentiation. 2004;72:419-33 pubmedb>Desmoglein 1 (Dsg1) is a component of desmosomes present in the upper epidermis and can be targeted by autoimmune antibodies or bacterial toxins, resulting in skin blistering diseases...
- Abida O, Zitouni M, Kallel Sellami M, Mahfoudh N, Kammoun A, Ben Ayed M, et al. Tunisian endemic pemphigus foliaceus is associated with the HLA-DR3 gene: anti-desmoglein 1 antibody-positive healthy subjects bear protective alleles. Br J Dermatol. 2009;161:522-7 pubmed publisher..In the northern group, only the DRB1*04 and DQB1*0301 alleles were found to be associated. Interestingly, anti-desmoglein 1 antibody-positive healthy controls did not carry susceptibility alleles but, in contrast, most carried ..
- Warren S, Arteaga L, Rivitti E, Aoki V, Hans Filho G, Qaqish B, et al. The role of subclass switching in the pathogenesis of endemic pemphigus foliaceus. J Invest Dermatol. 2003;120:104-8 pubmed..Acquisition of an IgG4 response is a key step in the development of clinical disease. ..
- Li G, Schaider H, Satyamoorthy K, Hanakawa Y, Hashimoto K, Herlyn M. Downregulation of E-cadherin and Desmoglein 1 by autocrine hepatocyte growth factor during melanoma development. Oncogene. 2001;20:8125-35 pubmed..Melanocytes and two melanoma lines, WM164 and WM35, expressed normal level E-cadherin and Desmoglein 1, whereas most melanomas (18 out of 20) expressed no E-cadherin and significantly reduced Desmoglein 1...
- Smith E, Fuchs E. Defining the interactions between intermediate filaments and desmosomes. J Cell Biol. 1998;141:1229-41 pubmed..In similar overlay assays, PP1 binds to DP and Dsc1a, and to a lesser extent, desmoglein 1 (Dsg1), while PG binds to Dsg1 and more weakly to Dsc1a and DP...
- Kowalczyk A, Bornslaeger E, Borgwardt J, Palka H, Dhaliwal A, Corcoran C, et al. The amino-terminal domain of desmoplakin binds to plakoglobin and clusters desmosomal cadherin-plakoglobin complexes. J Cell Biol. 1997;139:773-84 pubmed..These results identify a role for desmoplakin in organizing the desmosomal cadherin-plakoglobin complex and provide new insights into the hierarchy of protein interactions that occur in the desmosomal plaque. ..
- Lundstrom A, Serre G, Haftek M, Egelrud T. Evidence for a role of corneodesmosin, a protein which may serve to modify desmosomes during cornification, in stratum corneum cell cohesion and desquamation. Arch Dermatol Res. 1994;286:369-75 pubmed..Results from analyses of nonpalmoplantar stratum corneum suggested that corneodesmosin is degraded in this tissue in a way that may be similar to that in plantar stratum corneum.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Nilles L, Parry D, Powers E, Angst B, Wagner R, Green K. Structural analysis and expression of human desmoglein: a cadherin-like component of the desmosome. J Cell Sci. 1991;99 ( Pt 4):809-21 pubmed..2, 4.0 and 3.0 kb. Each of these cross-hybridizing mRNAs is coordinately expressed in normal human keratinocytes in response to long-term culture and increased calcium. ..
- Naoe Y, Hata T, Tanigawa K, Kimura H, Masunaga T. Bidimensional analysis of desmoglein 1 distribution on the outermost corneocytes provides the structural and functional information of the stratum corneum. J Dermatol Sci. 2010;57:192-8 pubmed publisher..To investigate the distribution of desmoglein 1 (Dsg1), which may be a main component of corneodesmosomes (CDSs) in the SC, we used a bidimensional observation ..
- Nakashima H, Fujimoto M, Watanabe R, Ishiura N, Yamamoto A, Hashimoto T, et al. Herpetiform pemphigus without anti-desmoglein 1/3 autoantibodies. J Dermatol. 2010;37:264-8 pubmed publisher..This case suggests that non-desmoglein antigen on keratinocyte cell surface can be targeted in some patients with this unusual variant of pemphigus. ..
- Maruyama H, Kawachi Y, Fujisawa Y, Itoh S, Furuta J, Ishii Y, et al. IgA/IgG pemphigus positive for anti-desmoglein 1 autoantibody. Eur J Dermatol. 2007;17:94-5 pubmed
- Roh J, Stanley J. Plakoglobin binding by human Dsg3 (pemphigus vulgaris antigen) in keratinocytes requires the cadherin-like intracytoplasmic segment. J Invest Dermatol. 1995;104:720-4 pubmed..These results underscore the importance of a region, highly conserved in all desmogleins, in the carboxy terminus of the IC-cadherin-like subdomain for the localization of plakoglobin to desmosomes. ..
- Lin M, Fu C, Aoki V, Hans Filho G, Rivitti E, Moraes J, et al. Desmoglein-1-specific T lymphocytes from patients with endemic pemphigus foliaceus (fogo selvagem). J Clin Invest. 2000;105:207-13 pubmed..These Dsg1-reactive FS T cells exhibited a CD4-positive memory T-cell phenotype and produced a T helper 2-like cytokine profile. These findings represent the initial steps in defining the role of T cells in FS autoimmunity. ..
- Cozzani E, Dal Bello M, Mastrogiacomo A, Drosera M, Parodi A. Antidesmoplakin antibodies in pemphigus vulgaris. Br J Dermatol. 2006;154:624-8 pubmed..It remains a sensitive and specific substrate for the detection of anti-DP antibodies, which, in patients with pemphigus vulgaris, are probably caused by an epitope-spreading phenomenon. ..
- Donetti E, Bedoni M, Boschini E, Dellavia C, Barajon I, Gagliano N. Desmocollin 1 and desmoglein 1 expression in human epidermis and keratinizing oral mucosa: a comparative immunohistochemical and molecular study. Arch Dermatol Res. 2005;297:31-8 pubmed..Up to now, the expression of the "skin type" desmosomal cadherins, i.e. desmocollin 1 (Dsc1) and desmoglein 1 (Dsg1), was correlated with the morphological features of keratinocyte terminal differentiation in epidermis, ..
- Sami N, Bhol K, Ahmed R. Influence of intravenous immunoglobulin therapy on autoantibody titers to desmoglein 3 and desmoglein 1 in pemphigus vulgaris. Eur J Dermatol. 2003;13:377-81 pubmed..A sustained serological remission is observed in patients treated with i.v.Ig therapy. . ..
- Hanakawa Y, Selwood T, Woo D, Lin C, Schechter N, Stanley J. Calcium-dependent conformation of desmoglein 1 is required for its cleavage by exfoliative toxin. J Invest Dermatol. 2003;121:383-9 pubmed..of exfoliative toxin, which hydrolyzes only one peptide bond in a highly structured calcium-binding domain of desmoglein 1, resulting in loss of its function. We investigated the basis of this exquisite specificity...
- Borgono C, Michael I, Komatsu N, Jayakumar A, Kapadia R, Clayman G, et al. A potential role for multiple tissue kallikrein serine proteases in epidermal desquamation. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:3640-52 pubmed..leukocyte protease inhibitor, and elafin and 2) their ability to digest the (corneo)desmosomal cadherin, desmoglein 1. KLK1 was not inhibited by any SPI tested...
- Karpati S, Amagai M, Liu W, Dmochowski M, Hashimoto T, Horvath A. Identification of desmoglein 1 as autoantigen in a patient with intraepidermal neutrophilic IgA dermatosis type of IgA pemphigus. Exp Dermatol. 2000;9:224-8 pubmed..This is the first case of IgA pemphigus where Dsg1 has been identified as the autoantigen. ..
- Hanakawa Y, Amagai M, Shirakata Y, Yahata Y, Tokumaru S, Yamasaki K, et al. Differential effects of desmoglein 1 and desmoglein 3 on desmosome formation. J Invest Dermatol. 2002;119:1231-6 pubmed..We constructed recombinant adenoviruses containing desmoglein 1 and desmoglein 3 derivatives partly lacking the extracellular domain (desmoglein 1DeltaEC and desmoglein ..
- Amagai M, Stanley J. Desmoglein as a target in skin disease and beyond. J Invest Dermatol. 2012;132:776-84 pubmed publisher..of staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome or bullous impetigo and pemphigus foliaceus led us to identify desmoglein 1 as the proteolytic target of staphylococcal exfoliative toxins...
- Marcozzi C, Burdett I, Buxton R, Magee A. Coexpression of both types of desmosomal cadherin and plakoglobin confers strong intercellular adhesion. J Cell Sci. 1998;111 ( Pt 4):495-509 pubmed..We find that L cells expressing either one or both of the desmosomal cadherins desmocollin 2a or desmoglein 1 display weak cell-cell adhesion activity that is Ca2+-dependent...
- Arteaga L, Prisayanh P, Warren S, Liu Z, Diaz L, Lin M. A subset of pemphigus foliaceus patients exhibits pathogenic autoantibodies against both desmoglein-1 and desmoglein-3. J Invest Dermatol. 2002;118:806-11 pubmed..These results suggest that a subset of patients with pemphigus foliaceus and fogo selvagem have antibodies to desmoglein-3 that may be involved in the pathogenesis of their cutaneous disease. ..
- Yamagami J, Kacir S, Ishii K, Payne A, Siegel D, Stanley J. Antibodies to the desmoglein 1 precursor proprotein but not to the mature cell surface protein cloned from individuals without pemphigus. J Immunol. 2009;183:5615-21 pubmed publisherIn pemphigus foliaceus (PF), autoantibodies against desmoglein 1 (Dsg1) cause blisters. Using Ab phage display, we have cloned mAbs from a PF patient...
- Hallaji Z, Mortazavi H, Lajevardi V, Tamizifar B, Amirzargar A, Daneshpazhooh M, et al. Serum and salivary desmoglein 1 and 3 enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay in pemphigus vulgaris: correlation with phenotype and severity. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2010;24:275-80 pubmed publisher..07). Salivary Dsg3 antibodies were not correlated with mucosal severity (P=0.16). Saliva Dsg ELISA could be used for diagnosis of PV. Salivary Dsg1 antibodies had a significant correlation with mucosal severity. ..
- Ishii K, Lin C, Siegel D, Stanley J. Isolation of pathogenic monoclonal anti-desmoglein 1 human antibodies by phage display of pemphigus foliaceus autoantibodies. J Invest Dermatol. 2008;128:939-48 pubmedPemphigus foliaceus (PF) is a blistering disease caused by autoantibodies to desmoglein 1 (Dsg1) that cause loss of epidermal cell adhesion...
- Hachem J, Wagberg F, Schmuth M, Crumrine D, Lissens W, Jayakumar A, et al. Serine protease activity and residual LEKTI expression determine phenotype in Netherton syndrome. J Invest Dermatol. 2006;126:1609-21 pubmed..These studies provide a mechanistic basis for phenotypic variations in NS, and describe compensatory mechanisms that permit survival of NS patients in the face of unrelenting SP attack. ..
- Waschke J, Menendez Castro C, Bruggeman P, Koob R, Amagai M, Gruber H, et al. Imaging and force spectroscopy on desmoglein 1 using atomic force microscopy reveal multivalent Ca(2+)-dependent, low-affinity trans-interaction. J Membr Biol. 2007;216:83-92 pubmedb>Desmoglein 1 is a desmosomal member of the cadherin family expressed in stratified epithelia. Desmoglein 1 is the target adhesion molecule of severe blistering skin diseases such as pemphigus or bullous impetigo...
- Cirillo N, Gombos F, Lanza A. Changes in desmoglein 1 expression and subcellular localization in cultured keratinocytes subjected to anti-desmoglein 1 pemphigus autoimmunity. J Cell Physiol. 2007;210:411-6 pubmedThe complexity of pemphigus acantholysis together with the weak expression of desmoglein 1 (Dsg1) in cultured keratinocytes have made the study on the pathogenic action of anti-Dsg1 antibodies quite difficult...