Summary: Methods used in the diagnosis and treatment of behavioral, personality, and mental disorders.
- Wu D, Guo M, Gao Y, Kang Y, Guo J, Jiang X, et al. Clinical effects of comprehensive therapy of early psychological intervention and rehabilitation training on neurological rehabilitation of patients with acute stroke. Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2012;5:914-6 pubmed publisher..Comprehensive therapy of early psychological intervention and rehabilitation training can significantly improve the mental health, limb movement function, stress ability and activity of daily living on the patients with acute stroke. ..
- Jeavons S, Godber T. World Assumptions as a measure of meaning in rural road crash victims. Aust J Rural Health. 2005;13:226-31 pubmed..This study does shed some light on the psychological effects of road trauma, but further research is needed to create more sophisticated measures. ..
- Miliacca C, Gagliardi G, Pescatori M. The 'Draw-the-Family Test' in the preoperative assessment of patients with anorectal diseases and psychological distress: a prospective controlled study. Colorectal Dis. 2010;12:792-8 pubmed publisher..Patients with organic disease and those with functional bowel disease have different DFT profiles. In our study group, DFT had an excellent compliance but could not predict the outcome of surgery. ..
- Goldman M, Szucs Reed R, Jagannathan K, Ehrman R, Wang Z, Li Y, et al. Reward-related brain response and craving correlates of marijuana cue exposure: a preliminary study in treatment-seeking marijuana-dependent subjects. J Addict Med. 2013;7:8-16 pubmed publisher..Results are consistent with prior findings in cocaine, heroin, nicotine, and alcohol cue studies, indicating that the brain substrates of cue-triggered drug motivation are shared across abused substances. ..
- Somerville L, Whalen P, Kelley W. Human bed nucleus of the stria terminalis indexes hypervigilant threat monitoring. Biol Psychiatry. 2010;68:416-24 pubmed publisher..In addition, these findings suggest that continuous functional magnetic resonance imaging paradigms offer promise in further elucidating the neural circuitries supporting sustained anticipatory features of anxiety. ..
- Moser G. Should we incorporate psychological care into the management of IBD?. Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2006;3:416-7 pubmed
- Kay Lambkin F, Baker A, Lewin T, Carr V. Acceptability of a clinician-assisted computerized psychological intervention for comorbid mental health and substance use problems: treatment adherence data from a randomized controlled trial. J Med Internet Res. 2011;13:e11 pubmed publisher..The extent to which a client feels that they are directing therapy (Client initiative) may be an important component of change in BI and CAC intervention, especially for hazardous alcohol use. ..
- Seo H, Chung S, Lim H, Chee I, Lee K, Paik K, et al. A validation study of the Korean version of SPAN. Yonsei Med J. 2011;52:673-9 pubmed publisher..81, positive predictive value (PPV) of 0.88, and negative predictive value (NPV) of 0.73. These results suggest that the SPAN-K had good psychometric properties and may be a useful instrument for rapid screening of PTSD patients. ..
- Blashki G, Hickie I, Davenport T. Providing psychological treatments in general practice: how will it work?. Med J Aust. 2003;179:23-5 pubmed..Research focusing on GP training and how GPs interact with specialist services in the provision of psychological treatments is urgently required. ..
- Ryan D, Carr A. A study of the differential effects of Tomm's questioning styles on therapeutic alliance. Fam Process. 2001;40:67-77 pubmed..The results of this study support Tomm's hypothesis that questioning styles based on circular assumptions lead to a better therapeutic alliance at an individual and systemic level than do questions based on lineal assumptions. ..
- Fernández Ballesteros R. How should psychological assessment be considered?. Am Psychol. 2002;57:138-9 pubmed
- Washburn D. Distinguishing interpretation from fact (DIFF): a computerized drill for methodology courses. Behav Res Methods Instrum Comput. 1999;31:3-6 pubmed..A computerized laboratory activity is described that permits students to practice this discrimination, and demonstration data are reported to support the effectiveness of the exercise. ..
- Meyer G, Finn S, Eyde L, Kay G, Dies R, Eisman E, et al. Amplifying issues related to psychological testing and assessment. Am Psychol. 2002;57:140-1 pubmed
- Hoseinabadi R, Pourbakht A, Yazdani N, Kouhi A, Kamali M. The effects of abnormality of cVEMP and oVEMP on rehabilitation outcomes in patients with idiopathic benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2016;273:643-8 pubmed publisher..06, 2.00, respectively). In BPPV patients with cVEMP or oVEMP abnormalities, QoL is more compromised in comparison with that in BPPV patients without these dysfunctions. Otolith dysfunction enhances the negative effects of BPPV on QoL. ..
- Kocsis R. Profiling the criminal mind: does it actually work?. Lancet. 2004;364 Suppl 1:s14-5 pubmed
- Roberts S, Hearn J, Holman C. Using drawing to explore student nurses' perceptions of older age. Nurs Older People. 2003;15:14-8 pubmed
- Hobbis I, Sutton S. Are techniques used in cognitive behaviour therapy applicable to behaviour change interventions based on the theory of planned behaviour?. J Health Psychol. 2005;10:7-18; discussion 37-43 pubmed..This article discusses the similarities and differences between the two approaches, and considers whether techniques used in CBT are applicable to interventions based on the TPB. ..
- Youssef N, Green K, Beckham J, Elbogen E. A 3-year longitudinal study examining the effect of resilience on suicidality in veterans. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2013;25:59-66 pubmed..These findings have important implications for clinical care and for guiding future research efforts to increase resilience among returning soldiers. ..
- Marshall W, Serran G, Marshall L, Fernandez Y. Recovering memories of the offense in "amnesic" sexual offenders. Sex Abuse. 2005;17:31-8 pubmed..The memory recovery technique we describe is based on experimental literature on memory and we outline its use with 22 clients, 20 of whom showed satisfactory recovery of their memories. ..
- Roos A, Faure S, Lochner C, Vythilingum B, Stein D. Predictors of distress and anxiety during pregnancy. Afr J Psychiatry (Johannesbg). 2013;16:118-22 pubmed publisher..Understanding predictors of distress and anxiety in pregnancy may be useful in developing interventions for addressing such symptoms, as well as perhaps in preventing potential sequelae such as anxiety and mood disorders. ..
- Rubial Alvarez S, Veiga Suárez M. [Clinical profile in subjects with acquired brain injury in chronic phase in a social and health care center]. Rev Neurol. 2012;55:392-8 pubmed..The clinical profile observed was young man with sequelae caused by a traumatic brain injury suffered in last five years, who has received poor neuropsychological care and that still takes physiotherapy treatment. ..
- Lovallo W, Farag N, Sorocco K, Cohoon A, Vincent A. Lifetime adversity leads to blunted stress axis reactivity: studies from the Oklahoma Family Health Patterns Project. Biol Psychiatry. 2012;71:344-9 pubmed publisher..The results indicate a long-term impact of stressful life experience on the reactivity of the human stress axis. ..
- Arokiaraj M, Guerrero L, Levine R, Palacios I. A theoretical cardiac resynchronization therapy method to augment ventricular contraction using polymer-based actuators and mitral regurgitation reduction with devices over left ventricular endocardial pacing wire--an in-vitro study. J Invasive Cardiol. 2013;25:415-20 pubmed..There is potential for a novel theoretical cardiac resynchronization therapy method using polymer-based actuators and devices to control MR. ..
- Williams D. The importance of psychological assessment in chronic pain. Curr Opin Urol. 2013;23:554-9 pubmed publisher..Informed assessment of chronic pain needs to include relevant biological, psychological, and social domains. This article describes those domains and offers suggestions of specific instruments to use in clinical or research settings. ..
- Mohr D, Cuijpers P, Lehman K. Supportive accountability: a model for providing human support to enhance adherence to eHealth interventions. J Med Internet Res. 2011;13:e30 pubmed publisher..Each component of the proposed model is a testable hypothesis. As we develop viable human support models, these should be manualized to facilitate dissemination. ..
- Hemmings B, Povey L. Views of chartered physiotherapists on the psychological content of their practice: a preliminary study in the United Kingdom. Br J Sports Med. 2002;36:61-4 pubmed..The physiotherapists also reported often using psychological techniques when treating injured athletes, but few reported having access to a sport psychologist for referral...
- Pathak D, Chisolm D, Weis K. Functional Assessment in Migraine (FAIM) questionnaire: development of an instrument based upon the WHO's International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health. Value Health. 2005;8:591-600 pubmed..Additional testing is underway to assess its responsiveness to change. ..
- Baranowski A, Mandeville A, Edwards S, Brook S, Cambitzi J, Cohen M. Male chronic pelvic pain syndrome and the role of interdisciplinary pain management. World J Urol. 2013;31:779-84 pubmed publisher..This programme links all significant treatment dimensions as well as connecting groups of patients to reduce their sense of isolation. Evidence is presented from the formal evaluation of the programme. ..
- Thyrian J, Hertel J, Wucherer D, Eichler T, Michalowsky B, Dreier Wolfgramm A, et al. Effectiveness and Safety of Dementia Care Management in Primary Care: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017;74:996-1004 pubmed publisher..Dementia care management (DCM) can increase the quality of care for people with dementia. Methodologically rigorous clinical trials on DCM are lacking...
- Solowiej K, Mason V, Upton D. Psychological stress and pain in wound care, part 2: a review of pain and stress assessment tools. J Wound Care. 2010;19:110-5 pubmed..While it takes time and money to train practitioners in their use, this will soon be offset by benefits in terms of patient care, satisfaction and reduced costs. ..
- Rofey D, Hull E, Phillips J, Vogt K, Silk J, Dahl R. Utilizing Ecological Momentary Assessment in pediatric obesity to quantify behavior, emotion, and sleep. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2010;18:1270-2 pubmed publisher..7 +/- 0.3% and 64.2 +/- 0.3%, respectively. Data from the armband and phone calls are presented to illustrate the depth of information acquired by utilizing this innovative methodology. ..
- Iserson K. Spectator sport: observing a pediatric resuscitation. Acad Emerg Med. 2007;14:826-7 pubmed
- Hunsley J. Psychological testing and psychological assessment: a closer examination. Am Psychol. 2002;57:139-40 pubmed
- Garssen B, Boomsma M, Beelen R. Psychological factors in immunomodulation induced by cancer surgery: a review. Biol Psychol. 2010;85:1-13 pubmed publisher..We recommend that future studies exploring the role of psychological factors on immune function and survival focus more on their influence during the peri-surgical period. ..
- Thoua N, Emmanuel A. Treating functional lower gastrointestinal symptoms. Clin Med (Lond). 2006;6:449-52 pubmed
- De Bolle M, De Clercq B, Decuyper M, De Fruyt F. Affective determinants of anxiety and depression development in children and adolescents: an individual growth curve analysis. Child Psychiatry Hum Dev. 2011;42:694-711 pubmed publisher..Relations were not moderated by sex or sample. Results revealed that the assessment of the tripartite components is warranted as it can help to identify children at risk for an unfavorable depressive symptom course. ..
- Persson M, Aniansson G, Becker M, Svensson H. Self-concept and introversion in adolescents with cleft lip and palate. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg. 2002;36:24-7 pubmed..The results indicate that those with CLP have a normal or even a high self-concept, and no signs of introversion. ..
- Fouladi R, McCarthy C, Moller N. Paper-and-pencil or online? Evaluating mode effects on measures of emotional functioning and attachment. Assessment. 2002;9:204-15 pubmed..The basic similarity of the properties of the measures using paper-and-pencil and online Internet modes of administration suggests the viability of the Internet for assessing these and other psychological phenomena. ..
- McGorry P. Translating advances in schizophrenia treatment: a glass ceiling. Med J Aust. 2003;178:425-6 pubmed
- Cheung F, Cheung S, Wada S, Zhang J. Indigenous measures of personality assessment in Asian countries: a review. Psychol Assess. 2003;15:280-9 pubmed..On the basis of the research findings from the CPAI, the authors discuss the relevance of indigenous measures in clinical assessment in native cultures as well as in informing mainstream personality assessment. ..
- Webb T, Sniehotta F, Michie S. Using theories of behaviour change to inform interventions for addictive behaviours. Addiction. 2010;105:1879-92 pubmed publisher..Studies reporting interventions should describe theoretical basis, behaviour change techniques and mode of delivery accurately so that effective interventions can be understood and replicated. ..
- Zaitsev V, Aivazian T. [Psychological AMPI test: application in clinical medicine (analytical review)]. Ter Arkh. 2008;80:89-92 pubmed
- Pare N, Rabin L, Fogel J, Pepin M. Mild traumatic brain injury and its sequelae: characterisation of divided attention deficits. Neuropsychol Rehabil. 2009;19:110-37 pubmed publisher..This study supports the usefulness of this novel instrument and allows clinicians and researchers to assess for subtle divided attention deficits that may persist in those with MTBI even three months post-injury. ..
- Sharma M, Manjula M. Behavioural and psychological management of somatic symptom disorders: an overview. Int Rev Psychiatry. 2013;25:116-24 pubmed publisher..This review aims at giving an overview of the components of the behavioural and other psychological interventions available for addressing medically unexplained somatic symptoms and to present their efficacy. ..
- Lewis D, Conroy Beam D, Al Shawaf L, Raja A, Dekay T, Buss D. Friends with benefits: the evolved psychology of same- and opposite-sex friendship. Evol Psychol. 2011;9:543-63 pubmed..These findings suggest that friend preferences may have evolved to solve ancestrally sex-linked adaptive problems, and that opposite-sex friendship may directly or indirectly serve mating functions. ..
- Reuther S, Dichter M, Buscher I, Vollmar H, Holle D, Bartholomeyczik S, et al. Case conferences as interventions dealing with the challenging behavior of people with dementia in nursing homes: a systematic review. Int Psychogeriatr. 2012;24:1891-903 pubmed publisher..This review highlights the need for methodologically well-designed intervention studies to provide conclusive evidence of the effects of case conferences. ..
- Viktorin A, Uher R, Kolevzon A, Reichenberg A, Levine S, Sandin S. Association of Antidepressant Medication Use During Pregnancy With Intellectual Disability in Offspring. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017;74:1031-1038 pubmed publisher..Maternal antidepressant medication use during pregnancy has previously been associated with adverse outcomes in offspring, but to our knowledge, the association with intellectual disability (ID) has not been investigated...
- Gaylord Harden N, Elmore C, Campbell C, Wethington A. An examination of the tripartite model of depressive and anxiety symptoms in African American youth: stressors and coping strategies as common and specific correlates. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2011;40:360-74 pubmed publisher..Further, stressors and coping strategies showed specific associations to features of depression and anxiety. The findings provide evidence of factors that may help to distinguish between internalizing symptoms in African American youth. ..