Genomes and Genes
Summary: Social rank-order established by certain behavioral patterns.
- Korzan W, Höglund E, Watt M, Forster G, Øverli Ø, Lukkes J, et al. Memory of opponents is more potent than visual sign stimuli after social hierarchy has been established. Behav Brain Res. 2007;183:31-42 pubmed..social rank during a second interaction between opponents that had previously established a natural dyadic social hierarchy. Prior to a second interaction, eyespots of familiar size-matched combatants were manipulated to reverse ..
- Aubin Horth N, Desjardins J, Martei Y, Balshine S, Hofmann H. Masculinized dominant females in a cooperatively breeding species. Mol Ecol. 2007;16:1349-58 pubmed
- Øverli Ø, Korzan W, Höglund E, Winberg S, Bollig H, Watt M, et al. Stress coping style predicts aggression and social dominance in rainbow trout. Horm Behav. 2004;45:235-41 pubmed..These findings support the view that distinct behavioral-physiological stress coping styles are present in teleost fish, and these coping characteristics influence both social rank and levels of aggression. ..
- Rodriguiz R, Chu R, Caron M, Wetsel W. Aberrant responses in social interaction of dopamine transporter knockout mice. Behav Brain Res. 2004;148:185-98 pubmed..These data suggest that KO mice may serve as a useful animal model for understanding not only how DA dysfunction contributes to social abnormalities, but also how behavioral inflexibility distorts their social responses. ..
- Clement T, Parikh V, Schrumpf M, Fernald R. Behavioral coping strategies in a cichlid fish: the role of social status and acute stress response in direct and displaced aggression. Horm Behav. 2005;47:336-42 pubmedThe African cichlid fish, Astatotilapia burtoni, has a complex social system with a sophisticated social hierarchy that offers unique opportunities to understand how social rank and its physiological substrates relate to behavioral ..
- Hellhammer D, Buchtal J, Gutberlet I, Kirschbaum C. Social hierarchy and adrenocortical stress reactivity in men. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 1997;22:643-50 pubmed..of the training, the recruits were randomly distributed to nine groups, and weekly measurements of the social hierarchy within each group were obtained...
- Sameshima S, Miura T, Matsumoto T. Wing disc development during caste differentiation in the ant Pheidole megacephala (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Evol Dev. 2004;6:336-41 pubmed..Our results suggest that each worker caste shows a different degeneration process to express the wingless character and that apoptotic degeneration has been adopted in association with the evolution of worker dimorphism. ..
- Hinson E, Hannah M, Norris D, Glass G, Klein S. Social status does not predict responses to Seoul virus infection or reproductive success among male Norway rats. Brain Behav Immun. 2006;20:182-90 pubmed..Taken together, host social status may not predict reproductive success or susceptibility to hantaviruses in rodent reservoir populations. ..
- Cubitt K, Winberg S, Huntingford F, Kadri S, Crampton V, Overli O. Social hierarchies, growth and brain serotonin metabolism in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) kept under commercial rearing conditions. Physiol Behav. 2008;94:529-35 pubmed publisher..Thus, in light of the serotonin deficit hypothesis of depression, it cannot be excluded that social stress is important for animal welfare even in large, relatively homogenous groups of animals reared in captivity. ..
- Sueur C, Petit O. Shared or unshared consensus decision in macaques?. Behav Processes. 2008;78:84-92 pubmed publisher..Such a difference in making a collective decision might be linked to the different social systems of the two studied species. ..
- Gyllenstrand N, Seppä P, Pamilo P. Restricted gene flow between two social forms in the ant Formica truncorum. J Evol Biol. 2005;18:978-84 pubmed..The inferred gene flow from the P to the M type means that the split sex ratio is partly suboptimal, possibly because the P populations are not long-lived enough to influence the behavioural decisions in the M colonies. ..
- Giles H. Re-dressing helping attire: methodological and interpretive issues. Psychol Rep. 2006;99:935-7 pubmed..A plea for exploring more of the dynamics of helping as a communicative process is tabled. ..
- Grzesiak Feldman M, Irzycka M. Right-wing authoritarianism and conspiracy thinking in a Polish sample. Psychol Rep. 2009;105:389-93 pubmed..The scores for conspiracy thinking about all the nationalities were positively correlated with the total scores for RWA3D. ..
- Gautam R. Opportunity for natural selection among the Indian population: secular trend, covariates and implications. J Biosoc Sci. 2009;41:705-45 pubmed publisher..The declining trend of I(t), Im and I(f) shows that the Indian population is passing through the demographic transition. ..
- Hughes W, Boomsma J. Genetic polymorphism in leaf-cutting ants is phenotypically plastic. Proc Biol Sci. 2007;274:1625-30 pubmed
- Couzin I. Behavioral ecology: social organization in fission-fusion societies. Curr Biol. 2006;16:R169-71 pubmed
- Karnehed N, Rasmussen F, Hemmingsson T, Tynelius P. Obesity in young adulthood is related to social mobility among Swedish men. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008;16:654-8 pubmed publisher..Obese men in Sweden were more often downwardly mobile in the social hierarchy and less often upwardly mobile than normal weight men...
- Johnson J, Gooding P, Tarrier N. Suicide risk in schizophrenia: explanatory models and clinical implications, The Schematic Appraisal Model of Suicide (SAMS). Psychol Psychother. 2008;81:55-77 pubmed..Methods of testing this model are suggested and guidelines for a clinical intervention (Cognitive Behavioural Suicide Prevention for Psychosis; CBSPp) are outlined. ..
- Rosset H, Chapuisat M. Sex allocation conflict in ants: when the queen rules. Curr Biol. 2006;16:328-31 pubmed..Altogether, these data provide evidence for an ongoing conflict between queens and workers, with a prominent influence of queens as a result of their control of egg sex ratio. ..
- Richards M, French D, Paxton R. It's good to be queen: classically eusocial colony structure and low worker fitness in an obligately social sweat bee. Mol Ecol. 2005;14:4123-33 pubmed
- Mrug S, Hoza B, Pelham W, Gnagy E, Greiner A. Behavior and peer status in children with ADHD: continuity and change. J Atten Disord. 2007;10:359-71 pubmed..The results indicate that increasing helping and rule- following behaviors may improve peer functioning of children with ADHD in similar settings. ..
- Tamashiro K, Nguyen M, Sakai R. Social stress: from rodents to primates. Front Neuroendocrinol. 2005;26:27-40 pubmed..of common rodent and non-human primate models of social stress used in the laboratory with a focus on social hierarchy models...
- Coe T, Hamilton P, Hodgson D, Paull G, Stevens J, Sumner K, et al. An environmental estrogen alters reproductive hierarchies, disrupting sexual selection in group-spawning fish. Environ Sci Technol. 2008;42:5020-5 pubmed..Reproductive success in male zebrafish was associated with elevated plasma concentrations of the male sex hormone 11-ketotestosterone and this hormone was suppressed in EE2-exposed males. ..
- Latrofa M, Vaes J, Cadinu M, Carnaghi A. The cognitive representation of self-stereotyping. Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 2010;36:911-22 pubmed publisher..Implications for research on people's self-construal are discussed. ..
- Schumacher B. [Long work hours, little quality of life. Slaves in white]. MMW Fortschr Med. 2007;149:10, 12 pubmed
- Fernandez Duque E, Juárez C, Di Fiore A. Adult male replacement and subsequent infant care by male and siblings in socially monogamous owl monkeys (Aotus azarai). Primates. 2008;49:81-4 pubmed..Given the significant amount of time that new pairs of owl monkeys spend before reproducing, it is possible that male care in owl monkeys functions as mating effort as much as or more than parenting effort. ..
- Yamauchi A, Yamamura N. Persistence conditions of symmetric social hybridogenesis in haplo-diploid hymenoptera. J Theor Biol. 2006;240:24-31 pubmed..Therefore, it is not obvious that SSH populations are maintained and are stable for long periods. We discuss whether these conditions are satisfied in real SSH populations. ..
- Yamazaki Y, Shirai K, Paul R, Fujiyuki T, Wakamoto A, Takeuchi H, et al. Differential expression of HR38 in the mushroom bodies of the honeybee brain depends on the caste and division of labor. FEBS Lett. 2006;580:2667-70 pubmed publisher..In the forager brain, expression was concentrated in a subset of the mushroom body neurons, suggesting that ecdysteroid-signaling in the mushroom bodies might be involved in the division of labor of the workers...
- Heitor F, do Mar Oom M, Vicente L. Social relationships in a herd of Sorraia horses Part I. Correlates of social dominance and contexts of aggression. Behav Processes. 2006;73:170-7 pubmed..The results suggest that dominance relationships based on age as a conventional criterion were established to reduce aggressiveness in a herd where the costs of aggression are likely to outweigh the benefits. ..
- Kalisch B, Begeny S. Improving nursing unit teamwork. J Nurs Adm. 2005;35:550-6 pubmed..The authors discuss strategies to overcome these obstacles to teamwork. ..
- Cary M, Suarez Chavez M, Wolf R, Kosanke S, White G. Jejunal intussusception and small bowel transmural infarction in a baboon (Papio hamadryas anubis). J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2006;45:41-4 pubmed..In light of our findings we suggest that animals of low social rank exhibiting excessive grooming behavior and lethargy might merit clinical evaluation to rule out possible abdominal disorders...
- Griffin J, Greiner B, Stansfeld S, Marmot M. The effect of self-reported and observed job conditions on depression and anxiety symptoms: a comparison of theoretical models. J Occup Health Psychol. 2007;12:334-49 pubmed..Exertion-related conditions (e.g., demands, effort, over commitment) were not consistently associated with depression or anxiety symptoms. ..
- Uchida W, Hashimoto K, Lutz R. Examination of the hierarchical self-esteem model in adults with physical disability. Percept Mot Skills. 2005;100:1161-70 pubmed..Path analysis showed adequate fit of the data to the hierarchical physical self-perception model. In general, physical self-perceptions were rated more favorably by physically active participants. ..
- Bragin A, Osadchuk L, Osadchuk A. [The experimental model of establishment and maintenance of social hierarchy in laboratory mice]. Zh Vyssh Nerv Deiat Im I P Pavlova. 2006;56:412-9 pubmedThe goal of the investigation is to establish a new experimental model of social hierarchy in laboratory mice. The important feature of the model is a group of two males only placed into the special experimental cage...
- Gill R, Arce A, Keller L, Hammond R. Polymorphic social organization in an ant. Proc Biol Sci. 2009;276:4423-31 pubmed publisher..We discuss the implications of these findings to the study of reproductive skew. ..
- Ghobadzadeh N. A multiculturalism-feminism dispute: Muslim women and the Sharia debate in Canada and Australia. Commonw Comp Polit. 2010;48:301-19 pubmed publisher..In contrast, Australian Muslim women have neither had the opportunity to articulate their position with regard to Sharia nor to contribute to an important issue that could have empowered them. ..
- Auge O. [Noblemen injured in fights and jousts in the field of tension between honour and ability]. Med Ges Gesch. 2009;28:21-46 pubmed..Examples like that of Götz of Berlichingen's iron hand or the striking profile of the often portrayed Federico da Montefeltro, on the other hand, show that physical integrity was still the standard. ..
- Lammers J, Stapel D, Galinsky A. Power increases hypocrisy: moralizing in reasoning, immorality in behavior. Psychol Sci. 2010;21:737-44 pubmed publisher..We discuss how patterns of hypocrisy and hypercrisy among the powerful and powerless can help perpetuate social inequality. ..
- Bowles H, Gelfand M. Status and the evaluation of workplace deviance. Psychol Sci. 2010;21:49-54 pubmed publisher..by the relative status of the evaluator because status influences both rule observance and attitudes toward social hierarchy. In Study 1, the psychological experience of higher status decreased rule observance and increased ..
- Weisbuch M, Ambady N. Unspoken cultural influence: exposure to and influence of nonverbal bias. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2009;96:1104-19 pubmed publisher..In Study 4, regional differences in exposure to nonverbal bias accounted for substantial variance in regional unhealthy dieting behaviors, even after controlling for several third variables. ..
- Zazzali J, Alexander J, Shortell S, Burns L. Organizational culture and physician satisfaction with dimensions of group practice. Health Serv Res. 2007;42:1150-76 pubmed..Some dimensions of physician organizational culture are significantly associated with various aspects of individual physician satisfaction with group practice. ..
- Silk J, Willoughby E, Brown G. Maternal rank and local resource competition do not predict birth sex ratios in wild baboons. Proc Biol Sci. 2005;272:859-64 pubmed..The results do not support predictions derived from either model of facultative sex ratio adjustment, and we conclude that there is currently no evidence that baboon birth sex ratios are adjusted in an adaptive manner. ..
- Chalyan V, Meishvili N. Aggression and the composition of conflicting pairs in green monkeys. Neurosci Behav Physiol. 2007;37:915-9 pubmed
- Seney M, Goldman B, Forger N. Breeding status affects motoneuron number and muscle size in naked mole-rats: recruitment of perineal motoneurons?. J Neurobiol. 2006;66:1354-64 pubmed..We propose that small, relatively undifferentiated cells are recruited to the pool of large Onuf's nucleus motoneurons when subordinate naked mole-rats become breeders...
- McPherson C, Popp J, Lindstrom R. Re-examining the paradox of structure: a child health network perspective. Healthc Pap. 2006;7:46-52; discussion 68-75 pubmed
- Vasquez H. Article for "diversity stories in community research and action" facing resistance in waking up to privilege. Am J Community Psychol. 2006;37:183-9 pubmed..Reflections of what worked and didn't work are offered as well as recommendations to other facilitators who will face similar challenges. ..
- Braithwaite J, Luft S, Bender W, Callen J, Westbrook J, Westbrook M, et al. The hierarchy of work pursuits of public health managers. Health Serv Manage Res. 2007;20:71-83 pubmed..The findings suggest that public health management work is more managerialist than previously thought. ..
- van Eickels K. [Sterility in medieval noblemen]. Med Ges Gesch. 2009;28:73-95 pubmed..This might explain why some rulers and nobles accepted a childless marriage without deeming it necessary to take another wife (or plan their itinerary in a way that enabled them to produce progeny). ..
- Zinner D, Krebs E, Schrod A, Kaumanns W. Early sexual maturity in male hamadryas baboons (Papio hamadryas hamadryas) and its reproductive implications. Am J Phys Anthropol. 2006;129:584-90 pubmed