Summary: Cultural contacts between people of different races.
- ..It makes it possible to frame the question whether biological race is a factor in disease susceptibility and drug responsiveness. It is apt for use in determining whether biological race is a medically significant category. ..
- Forrest E. Recruitment and retention. Minority report. Health Serv J. 2003;113:40-1 pubmed
- Okun B. Insight into ethnic flux: marriage patterns among Jews of mixed ancestry in Israel. Demography. 2004;41:173-87 pubmed..Such patterns suggest that intermarriage in Israel does not necessarily reduce ethnic differences in socioeconomic status or the salience of ethnicity among disadvantaged groups. ..
- Giwa S, Greensmith C. Race relations and racism in the LGBTQ community of Toronto: perceptions of gay and queer social service providers of color. J Homosex. 2012;59:149-85 pubmed publisherThis article explores race relations and racism within the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) community of Toronto, Ontario, from the perspective of seven gay/queer social service providers of color...
- Burgard S, Treiman D. Trends and racial differences in infant mortality in South Africa. Soc Sci Med. 2006;62:1126-37 pubmed..These findings are discussed in light of contemporary social and health issues in South Africa. ..
- Davis D. Genetic research and communal narratives. Jurimetrics. 2002;42:199-207 pubmed..The use of DNA evidence to prove Thomas Jefferson's paternity of Sally Hemmings' children is a powerful example of how genetic research can have an impact upon the communal narratives of families and nations. ..
- Terhune C. From desegregation to diversity: how far have we really come?. J Nurs Educ. 2004;43:195-6 pubmed
- Pencak W. Colonial Intimacies: Indian Marriage in Early New England. [Review of: Plane, A.M., Colonial Intimacies: Indian Marriage in Early New England. Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell U. Pr., 2000]. Ethnohistory. 2005;52:437-48 pubmed
- McHenry D. A growing challenge: patient education in a diverse America. J Nurses Staff Dev. 2007;23:83-8 pubmed
- Pham M. The right to fashion in the age of terrorism. Signs (Chic). 2011;36:385-410 pubmed..S.exceptionalism, which is secured by private property, social mobility, and individualism. ..
- Degenholtz H, Arnold R, Meisel A, Lave J. Persistence of racial disparities in advance care plan documents among nursing home residents. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002;50:378-81 pubmed..These findings call attention to an area where further research is needed to determine whether residents' (and their families') preferences are being elicited and documented. ..
- Panter A, Daye C, Allen W, Wightman L, Deo M. It matters how and when you ask: self-reported race/ethnicity of incoming law students. Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol. 2009;15:51-66 pubmed publisher..These findings support the continued study of specific combinations of multiracial groups, fluidity of multiracial identities, and context effects that influence race/ethnicity self-categorizations. ..
- Hughes J, Bigler R, Levy S. Consequences of learning about historical racism among European American and African American children. Child Dev. 2007;78:1689-705 pubmedKnowledge about racism is a critical component of educational curricula and contemporary race relations. To examine children's responses to learning about racism, European American (Study 1; N= 48) and African American (Study 2; N= 69) ..
- Qureshi A. I was being myself but being an actor too: the experience of a Black male in interracial psychotherapy. Psychol Psychother. 2007;80:467-79 pubmed..Issues of trust, perceived cultural issues and therapy focus contributed to and detracted from the therapy experience. The depth of the therapy experience was limited by the therapist not explicitly addressing race. ..
- Chao M, Hong Y, Chiu C. Essentializing race: its implications on racial categorization. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2013;104:619-34 pubmed publisher..These results are discussed in terms of their implications for understanding and managing interracial relations in the United States. ..
- Dovidio J, Gaertner S, Kawakami K, Hodson G. Why can't we just get along? Interpersonal biases and interracial distrust. Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol. 2002;8:88-102 pubmed..of Whites, aversive racism, can shape different perspectives of Blacks and Whites in ways that can undermine race relations. This research demonstrates that contemporary racism among Whites is subtle, often unintentional, and ..
- Guindon M, Green A, Hanna F. Intolerance and psychopathology: toward a general diagnosis for racism, sexism, and homophobia. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2003;73:167-76 pubmed..The common denominator seems to be intolerance. The authors explore the possibility of an intolerant personality disorder, outline likely symptoms, and suggest some possible treatment considerations. ..
- LeCouteur A, Rapley M, Augoustinos M. 'This very difficult debate about Wik': stake, voice and the management of category memberships in race politics. Br J Soc Psychol. 2001;40:35-57 pubmed
- Kirkham S, Anderson J. Postcolonial nursing scholarship: from epistemology to method. ANS Adv Nurs Sci. 2002;25:1-17 pubmed..This article makes a case for the integration of postcolonial perspectives into theorizing and sketches out a research methodology based on the postcolonial tradition. ..
- Kenny S. "A dictate of both interest and mercy"? Slave hospitals in the antebellum South. J Hist Med Allied Sci. 2010;65:1-47 pubmed publisher..In addition to providing physicians with a steady income, slave infirmaries were key players in the domestic slave trade, as well as mechanisms for professionalization and the mobilization of medical ideas in the American South. ..
- McIntosh W, Scott A, Dawson B, Locker L. Willingness to date across race: differences among gay and heterosexual men and women. Psychol Rep. 2011;108:711-6 pubmed..The role of mate selection theory, and the importance of the status afforded various races in U.S. society, were applied to interpret people's willingness to date other races. ..
- Brown R, Gonzalez R, Zagefka H, Manzi J, Cehajic S. Nuestra culpa: collective guilt and shame as predictors of reparation for historical wrongdoing. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2008;94:75-90 pubmed publisher..The relationship between shame and reparation attitudes was mediated by a desire to improve the ingroup's reputation. ..
- Griffith E. Personal narrative and an African-American perspective on medical ethics. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2005;33:371-81 pubmed..The author uses his own narrative to demonstrate his argument and to show its application to a current debate on the ethics of forensic psychiatry practice. ..
- Bateman C. Ovations amid the "transformation blues". S Afr Med J. 2005;95:634-8 pubmed
- van Ryn M, Burgess D, Malat J, Griffin J. Physicians' perceptions of patients' social and behavioral characteristics and race disparities in treatment recommendations for men with coronary artery disease. Am J Public Health. 2006;96:351-7 pubmed..In addition, they highlight the need for discourse and consensus development on the role of social factors in clinical decisionmaking. ..
- Lowery B, Knowles E, Unzueta M. Framing inequity safely: Whites' motivated perceptions of racial privilege. Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 2007;33:1237-50 pubmed
- Grimshaw P. Interracial marriages and colonial regimes in Victoria and Aotearoa New Zealand. Frontiers (Boulder). 2002;22:12-28 pubmed
- Pitt R, Packard J. Activating diversity: the impact of student race on contributions to course discussions. Sociol Q. 2012;53:295-320 pubmed..The implications of these findings are important for scholars interested in how diversity impacts student learning, and for policymakers advocating on behalf of affirmative action legislation. ..
- Wailoo K. Stigma, race, and disease in 20th century America. Lancet. 2006;367:531-3 pubmed
- Grossman J, Charmaraman L. Race, context, and privilege: white adolescents' explanations of racial-ethnic centrality. J Youth Adolesc. 2009;38:139-52 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the diversity of White adolescents' understanding of their racial-ethnic identities and the importance of context in shaping racial-ethnic centrality. ..
- Babbitt L, Sommers S. Framing matters: contextual influences on interracial interaction outcomes. Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 2011;37:1233-44 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these studies illustrate the importance of interaction context for the experiences of both Blacks and Whites. ..
- Anderson J. Lessons from a postcolonial-feminist perspective: suffering and a path to healing. Nurs Inq. 2004;11:238-46 pubmed
- Lewis R, Ford Robertson J. Understanding the occurrence of interracial marriage in the United States through differential assimilation. J Black Stud. 2010;41:405-20 pubmed..This exploration provides important empirical findings for assessing the progress of assimilation in America. ..
- Campinha Bacote J. Cultural desire. J Christ Nurs. 2003;20:20-2 pubmed
- Montgomery J. The population dynamics of black-white-mulatto racial systems. AJS. 2011;117:46-89 pubmed..Because the effects of racial classification and differential reproduction were roughly offsetting, the observed growth of the white share can be attributed almost entirely to racial switching. ..
- Swaroop S, Krysan M. The determinants of neighborhood satisfaction: racial proxy revisited. Demography. 2011;48:1203-29 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that individuals balance both socioeconomic and race-related concerns in their residential preferences. ..
- Goidel K, Parent W, Mann B. Race, racial resentment, attentiveness to the news media, and public opinion toward the Jena Six. Soc Sci Q. 2011;92:20-34 pubmed..Attentiveness to the news influenced the lens through which events were interpreted, but not perceptions of whether the outcome was the right decision. ..
- Schoenl W, Peck D. Advertising eugenics: Charles M. Goethe's campaign to improve the race. Endeavour. 2010;34:75-80 pubmed publisher..3) This article examines Goethe's eugenic vision and, drawing on his correspondence with the leading geneticist Charles Davenport, explores the relationship between academic and non-academic advocates of eugenics in America. ..
- Graham S, Lowery B. Priming unconscious racial stereotypes about adolescent offenders. Law Hum Behav. 2004;28:483-504 pubmed..The implications of the findings for racial disparity in the juvenile justice system and for changing unconscious stereotypes were discussed. ..
- Altman N. Whiteness. Psychoanal Q. 2006;75:45-72 pubmed..Enactments within this paper are noted when they are evident to the author ..
- Spears Brown C, Bigler R. Children's perceptions of discrimination: a developmental model. Child Dev. 2005;76:533-53 pubmed..The model identifies developmental and individual differences expected to influence judgments about discrimination, as well as situational variables that are likely to support attributions to discrimination. ..
- Pitcock C. Tuskegee's truths: rethinking the Tuskegee syphilis study. [Review of: Reverby, S.M. Tuskegee's truths: rethinking the Tuskegee syphilis study. Chapel Hill: U. of North Carolina Pr., 2000]. J South Hist. 2002;68:493-4 pubmed
- Czopp A, Monteith M, Mark A. Standing up for a change: reducing bias through interpersonal confrontation. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2006;90:784-803 pubmed
- Hong Y, Chao M, No S. Dynamic interracial/intercultural processes: the role of lay theories of race. J Pers. 2009;77:1283-309 pubmed publisher..These findings shed light on dynamic interracial/intercultural processes. Relations of this approach to CAPS are discussed. ..
- Chae D, Takeuchi D, Barbeau E, Bennett G, Lindsey J, Stoddard A, et al. Alcohol disorders among Asian Americans: associations with unfair treatment, racial/ethnic discrimination, and ethnic identification (the national Latino and Asian Americans study, 2002-2003). J Epidemiol Community Health. 2008;62:973-9 pubmed publisher..Interventions that promote ethnic identification in this population may be particularly relevant in mitigating the negative influence of racial/ethnic discrimination on alcohol disorders. ..
- Dimond B. What is the law if a patient refuses treatment based on the nurse's race?. Br J Nurs. 2006;15:1077-8 pubmed..It looks at the rights available to the victim of the racism, the action which should be taken by management and the provisions of the Equality Act 2006. ..
- Muntaner C, Nagoshi C, Diala C. Racial ideology and explanations for health inequalities among middle-class whites. Int J Health Serv. 2001;31:659-68 pubmed..Liberal approaches to racism in public health are bound to miss a key component of racial ideology that is currently used to justify racial and class inequalities. ..
- Reingold B, Smith A. Welfare policymaking and intersections of race, ethnicity, and gender in U.S. state legislatures. Am J Pol Sci. 2012;56:131-47 pubmed..Our empirical analyses suggest an intersectional approach yields a more accurate understanding of gender, race/ethnicity, and welfare politics in the states. ..
- Zenderland L. Science, race, and religion in the American South: John Bachman and the Charleston Circle of naturalists, 1815-1895. [Review of: Stephens, L.D. Science, race, and religion in the American South: John Bachman and the Charleston Circle of naturalists. J South Hist. 2003;69:157-8 pubmed
- von Hippel W, Hawkins C, Schooler J. Stereotype distinctiveness: how counterstereotypic behavior shapes the self-concept. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2001;81:193-205 pubmed..These results suggest that counterstereotypic behavior plays a uniquely powerful role in the development of the self-concept. ..