Genomes and Genes
social behavior disorders
Summary: Behaviors which are at variance with the expected social norm and which affect other individuals.
- Dodge K. Translational science in action: hostile attributional style and the development of aggressive behavior problems. Dev Psychopathol. 2006;18:791-814 pubmed..Challenges for future research are described. ..
- Crawley J. Mouse behavioral assays relevant to the symptoms of autism. Brain Pathol. 2007;17:448-59 pubmed
- Posey D, Kem D, Swiezy N, Sweeten T, Wiegand R, McDougle C. A pilot study of D-cycloserine in subjects with autistic disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2004;161:2115-7 pubmed..In this pilot study, D-cycloserine treatment resulted in significant improvement in social withdrawal. Further controlled studies of D-cycloserine in autism appear warranted. ..
- Spalletta G, Baldinetti F, Buccione I, Fadda L, Perri R, Scalmana S, et al. Cognition and behaviour are independent and heterogeneous dimensions in Alzheimer's disease. J Neurol. 2004;251:688-95 pubmed..In conclusion, many cognitive and behavioural syndromes exist in patients with AD. However, the results of this study suggest that cognition and behaviour are independent dimensions. ..
- Crone M, Vogels A, Hoekstra F, Treffers P, Reijneveld S. A comparison of four scoring methods based on the parent-rated Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire as used in the Dutch preventive child health care system. BMC Public Health. 2008;8:106 pubmed publisher..The SDQ is a valid tool for the identification of psychosocial problems by PCH. As a first step, the use of a simple classification based on the SDQ TDS is recommended. ..
- Hacker K, Williams S, Myagmarjav E, Cabral H, Murphy M. Persistence and change in pediatric symptom checklist scores over 10 to 18 months. Acad Pediatr. 2009;9:270-7 pubmed publisher..The high rate of positive scores in children who did not return for follow-up suggests the need for alternative strategies for this population. ..
- Tajiri N, Acosta S, Glover L, Bickford P, Jacotte Simancas A, Yasuhara T, et al. Intravenous grafts of amniotic fluid-derived stem cells induce endogenous cell proliferation and attenuate behavioral deficits in ischemic stroke rats. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e43779 pubmed publisher..This study reports the therapeutic potential of AFS cell transplantation in stroke animals, possibly via enhancement of endogenous repair mechanisms...
- Ireland T, Smith C. Living in partner-violent families: developmental links to antisocial behavior and relationship violence. J Youth Adolesc. 2009;38:323-39 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that exposure to severe parental violence during adolescence is indeed consequential for violent interactions in adulthood. ..
- Hurtig T, Kuusikko S, Mattila M, Haapsamo H, Ebeling H, Jussila K, et al. Multi-informant reports of psychiatric symptoms among high-functioning adolescents with Asperger syndrome or autism. Autism. 2009;13:583-98 pubmed publisher..However, anxiety and depressive symptoms were more commonly reported by adolescents with AS/HFA and their teachers than their parents, indicating that some emotional distress may be hidden from their parents. ..
- Fernandes L, Goulart A, Santos A, Barros M, Guerra C, Kopelman B. Neurodevelopmental assessment of very low birth weight preterm infants at corrected age of 18-24 months by Bayley III scales. J Pediatr (Rio J). 2012;88:471-8 pubmed publisher..The variables: social classes CDE, periventricular leukomalacia, bronchopulmonary dysplasia and male sex reduced the neurodevelopmental scores. ..
- Santos P, Arcanjo F. Social adaptability and substance abuse: predictors of depression among hemodialysis patients?. BMC Nephrol. 2013;14:12 pubmed publisher..Social adaptability and substance abuse did not predict depression in HD patients. We propose that aspects related to socioeconomic status not comprised in SAI items should be ruled out as predictors of depression. ..
- Owens D, Johnstone E, Miller P, Macmillan J, Crow T. Duration of untreated illness and outcome in schizophrenia: test of predictions in relation to relapse risk. Br J Psychiatry. 2010;196:296-301 pubmed publisher..Tension did not remain significant with log-transformation of data. Findings are consistent with the conclusion that long DUI can reflect characteristics of the psychosis itself rather than delay in treatment. ..
- Wigham S, McConachie H, Tandos J, Le Couteur A. The reliability and validity of the Social Responsiveness Scale in a UK general child population. Res Dev Disabil. 2012;33:944-50 pubmed publisher..The findings suggest the SRS performs in similar ways in UK and USA general population samples of children and can be used without modification in the UK. ..
- Groh A, Roisman G, van IJzendoorn M, Bakermans Kranenburg M, Fearon R. The significance of insecure and disorganized attachment for children's internalizing symptoms: a meta-analytic study. Child Dev. 2012;83:591-610 pubmed publisher..Insecurity and disorganization were more strongly associated with externalizing than internalizing symptoms. Discussion focuses on the significance of attachment for the development of internalizing versus externalizing symptomatology. ..
- Skounti M, Giannoukas S, Dimitriou E, Nikolopoulou S, Linardakis E, Philalithis A. Prevalence of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in schoolchildren in Athens, Greece. Association of ADHD subtypes with social and academic impairment. Atten Defic Hyperact Disord. 2010;2:127-32 pubmed publisher..Additionally, impairment in social and academic functioning was strongly associated with the subtypes of the disorder. ..
- Dyck B, Guest K, Sookram C, Basu D, Johnson R, Mishra R. PAOPA, a potent analogue of Pro-Leu-glycinamide and allosteric modulator of the dopamine D2 receptor, prevents NMDA receptor antagonist (MK-801)-induced deficits in social interaction in the rat: implications for the treatment of negative symptoms in. Schizophr Res. 2011;125:88-92 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence for the development of peptidomimetic compounds for the treatment of social withdrawal and related negative symptoms associated with schizophrenia. ..
- Lim Y, Bae S, Kim B, Shin C, Lee Y, Kim J, et al. Prenatal and postnatal bisphenol A exposure and social impairment in 4-year-old children. Environ Health. 2017;16:79 pubmed publisher..3%) increase in impairment in social communication in 4-year old girls, as indicated by the linear regression model. Prenatal and postnatal BPA exposure is associated with social impairment at 4 years of age, particularly in girls. ..
- Shic F, Bradshaw J, Klin A, Scassellati B, Chawarska K. Limited activity monitoring in toddlers with autism spectrum disorder. Brain Res. 2011;1380:246-54 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the monitoring of the social activities of others is disrupted early in the developmental progression of autism, limiting future avenues for observational learning. ..
- Yui K, Koshiba M, Nakamura S, Onishi M. [Therapeutic effects of larger doses of arachidonic acid added to DHA on social impairment and its relation to alterations of polyunsaturated fatty acids in individuals with autism spectrum disorders]. Nihon Shinkei Seishin Yakurigaku Zasshi. 2011;31:117-24 pubmed..The present clinical trials suggest that supplementation with larger ARA doses added to DHA improves social impairment in individuals with ASD via ARA-induced upregulation of neuronal functioning. ..
- Marshall S, Evans S, Eiraldi R, Becker S, Power T. Social and academic impairment in youth with ADHD, predominately inattentive type and sluggish cognitive tempo. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2014;42:77-90 pubmed publisher..The distinctiveness of the high-SCT group, which was primarily evident in social as opposed to academic functioning, provides partial support for the external validity and clinical utility of SCT. ..
- Price S, Salekin R, Klinger M, Barker E. Psychopathy and depression as predictors of psychosocial difficulties in a sample of court evaluated adolescents. Personal Disord. 2013;4:261-269 pubmed publisher..Such training would allow for more effective treatment affording youth greater opportunities to succeed in society. ..
- Noriuchi M, Kikuchi Y, Yoshiura T, Kira R, Shigeto H, Hara T, et al. Altered white matter fractional anisotropy and social impairment in children with autism spectrum disorder. Brain Res. 2010;1362:141-9 pubmed publisher..These DTI results and their relationship to social impairment add to evidence of cerebral and cerebellar white matter structural abnormalities in ASD. ..
- Liu A, Werner K, Roy S, Trojanowski J, Morgan Kane U, Miller B, et al. A case study of an emerging visual artist with frontotemporal lobar degeneration and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neurocase. 2009;15:235-47 pubmed publisher..Multiple examples of the patient's art are depicted throughout all stages of his illness, and the possible cognitive, behavioral, and neurologic correlates of his new-onset visual artistry are discussed. ..
- Beauchamp M, Anderson V, Catroppa C, Maller J, Godfrey C, Rosenfeld J, et al. Implications of reduced callosal area for social skills after severe traumatic brain injury in children. J Neurotrauma. 2009;26:1645-54 pubmed publisher..The results further underscore the potential importance of the corpus callosum for social competence after TBI. ..
- Lillo P, Mioshi E, Zoing M, Kiernan M, Hodges J. How common are behavioural changes in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis?. Amyotroph Lateral Scler. 2011;12:45-51 pubmed publisher..001). In conclusion, apathy was the most prominent feature in ALS patients. A substantial proportion of ALS patients manifested behavioural changes of the type seen in FTD, with 11% fulfilling the criteria for FTD. ..
- Driscoll D, Dal Monte O, Grafman J. A need for improved training interventions for the remediation of impairments in social functioning following brain injury. J Neurotrauma. 2011;28:319-26 pubmed publisher..We then discuss limitations of these studies and highlight specific areas in which such treatments might be improved in the future. ..
- Willis D, Griffith C. Healing patterns revealed in middle school boys' experiences of being bullied using Roger's Science of Unitary Human Beings (SUHB). J Child Adolesc Psychiatr Nurs. 2010;23:125-32 pubmed publisher..When working with middle school boys who have been bullied, nurses need to ask about their experiences and promote their healing. ..
- Mrazik M, Brooks B, Jubinville A, Meeuwisse W, Emery C. Psychosocial Outcomes of Sport Concussions in Youth Hockey Players. Arch Clin Neuropsychol. 2016;31:297-304 pubmed publisher..Results suggest smaller percentage of youth may be more prone to psychological sequelae following concussion. ..
- Vaske J, Wright J, Boisvert D, Beaver K. Gender, genetic risk, and criminal behavior. Psychiatry Res. 2011;185:376-81 pubmed publisher..The results reveal that the genetic risk threshold is higher for females than for males. However, contrary to the threshold hypothesis, female offenders exhibit fewer genetic risks than male offenders. ..
- Hari R, Kujala M. Brain basis of human social interaction: from concepts to brain imaging. Physiol Rev. 2009;89:453-79 pubmed publisher..We conclude by discussing some major disorders of social interaction. ..
- Cooper S, van der Speck R. Epidemiology of mental ill health in adults with intellectual disabilities. Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2009;22:431-6 pubmed publisher..This work builds usefully upon previous studies. Further hypothesis-based analyses are needed. ..
- Vaske J, Newsome J, Wright J. Interaction of serotonin transporter linked polymorphic region and childhood neglect on criminal behavior and substance use for males and females. Dev Psychopathol. 2012;24:181-93 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that 5-HTTLPR is associated with an increased risk of neglect for females, and it also increases neglected females' risk of abusing marijuana. ..
- Derose L, Shiyko M, Foster H, Brooks Gunn J. Associations between menarcheal timing and behavioral developmental trajectories for girls from age 6 to age 15. J Youth Adolesc. 2011;40:1329-42 pubmed publisher..Findings are discussed in light of literature on continuity of girls' psychosocial development before and during the pubertal transition. ..
- Woś J, Florkowski A, Zboralski K. [Psychopathological and psychosocial aspects of military crimes]. Pol Merkur Lekarski. 2013;34:150-3 pubmed..Forensic psychiatric examinations revealed that military crimes are more frequent in soldiers on compulsory military service, and in those with personality disorder or/and alcohol problems. ..
- Silverman J, Oliver C, Karras M, Gastrell P, Crawley J. AMPAKINE enhancement of social interaction in the BTBR mouse model of autism. Neuropharmacology. 2013;64:268-82 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'Cognitive Enhancers'. ..
- Lipina T, Roder J. Co-learning facilitates memory in mice: a new avenue in social neuroscience. Neuropharmacology. 2013;64:283-93 pubmed publisher..The possible implications of this methodological approach in social neuroscience are discussed. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'Cognitive Enhancers'. ..
- Buzina N. Psychopathy - historical controversies and new diagnostic approach. Psychiatr Danub. 2012;24:134-42 pubmed..In accordance with the new trends in the diagnosis of mental disorders, the need for training in the application of the mentioned instrument for the precise diagnosis of psychopathy is highlighted. ..
- Martin E, Kerns J. Social anhedonia associated with poor evaluative processing but not with poor cognitive control. Psychiatry Res. 2010;178:419-24 pubmed publisher..In contrast, there were no group differences on the Stroop task or on a semantic priming task. Overall, these results suggest that people with elevated social anhedonia might have problems with some aspects of evaluative processing. ..
- Semrud Clikeman M, Glass K. The relation of humor and child development: social, adaptive, and emotional aspects. J Child Neurol. 2010;25:1248-60 pubmed publisher..It was concluded that further study is needed to understand humor in children with disabilities and that such understanding will assist with interventions. ..
- Van Gelder J. Tales of deviance and control: on space, rules, and law in squatter settlements. Law Soc Rev. 2010;44:239-68 pubmed
- van Handel M, Swaab H, de Vries L, Jongmans M. Behavioral outcome in children with a history of neonatal encephalopathy following perinatal asphyxia. J Pediatr Psychol. 2010;35:286-95 pubmed publisher..NE has a mildly negative effect on behavioral functioning, but does not lead to elevated levels or specific patterns of developmental psychopathology. ..
- Roantree C, Kennedy C. Functional analysis of inappropriate social interactions in students with Asperger's syndrome. J Appl Behav Anal. 2012;45:585-91 pubmed publisher..Our results show that social positive reinforcers can be identified for inappropriate social interactions and that appropriate social behaviors can be sensitive to reinforcement contingency reversals. ..
- Hobson C, Scott S, Rubia K. Investigation of cool and hot executive function in ODD/CD independently of ADHD. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2011;52:1035-43 pubmed publisher..These findings show EF deficits associated with ODD/CD independently of ADHD, and implicate reward-related abnormalities in theories of antisocial behaviour development. ..
- Bowes L, Arseneault L, Maughan B, Taylor A, Caspi A, Moffitt T. School, neighborhood, and family factors are associated with children's bullying involvement: a nationally representative longitudinal study. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2009;48:545-53 pubmed publisher..Intervention programs aimed at reducing bullying should extend their focus beyond schools to include local communities and families. ..
- Paul M, Peters N, Holder M, Kim A, Whylings J, Terranova J, et al. Atypical Social Development in Vasopressin-Deficient Brattleboro Rats. Eneuro. 2016;3: pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that the Avp gene plays a critical role in juvenile social development. ..
- O NEILL J, Seese R, Hudkins M, Siddarth P, Levitt J, Tseng P, et al. 1H MRSI and social communication deficits in pediatric complex partial seizures. Epilepsia. 2011;52:1705-14 pubmed publisher..The sensitivity of tNAA to seizure frequency suggests effects of ongoing CPS on neuronal and glial function in this brain region. ..
- Meier S, Charleston A, Tippett L. Cognitive and behavioural deficits associated with the orbitomedial prefrontal cortex in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Brain. 2010;133:3444-57 pubmed publisher..This demonstration of variability in cognitive integrity supports previous research indicating amyotrophic lateral sclerosis is a heterogeneous disease. ..
- Anderson V, Beauchamp M, Yeates K, Crossley L, Hearps S, Catroppa C. Social competence at 6 months following childhood traumatic brain injury. J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2013;19:539-50 pubmed publisher..Processing speed, younger age, and male gender also contributed to social outcomes. Further follow-up is required to track the recovery of social skills and the changing influences of cognition, brain, and environment over time. ..
- Joshi G, Wozniak J, Faraone S, Fried R, Chan J, Furtak S, et al. A Prospective Open-Label Trial of Memantine Hydrochloride for the Treatment of Social Deficits in Intellectually Capable Adults With Autism Spectrum Disorder. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2016;36:262-71 pubmed publisher..Treatment with memantine appears to be beneficial for the treatment of ASD and associated psychopathology and cognitive dysfunction in intellectually capable adults. Future placebo-controlled trials are warranted. ..