human rights abuses
Summary: Deliberate maltreatment of groups of humans beings including violations of generally-accepted fundamental rights as stated by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, adopted and proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly resolution 217 A (III) of 10 December 1948.
- de Jong J. A public health framework to translate risk factors related to political violence and war into multi-level preventive interventions. Soc Sci Med. 2010;70:71-9 pubmed publisher..A deeper understanding of the association between risk and protective factors and the developmental pathways of generic, country-specific and culture-specific factors leading to political violence is needed. ..
- Greenaway K, Louis W. Only human: hostile human norms can reduce legitimization of intergroup discrimination by perpetrators of historical atrocities. Br J Soc Psychol. 2010;49:765-83 pubmed publisher..Our findings qualify previous research, and demonstrate that the effects of emphasizing shared humanity are not equivalent or universally positive for perpetrators and victims. ..
- Stephens C. Racism and inequalities in health: notes towards an agenda for critical health psychology. J Health Psychol. 2009;14:655-9 pubmed publisher..Using her structure, I briefly suggest additional ways in which critical health psychologists may approach these issues by drawing on work from psychology and other disciplines to develop just approaches to health research and practice. ..
- Dute J. European Court of Human Rights. ECHR 2006/11 case of Devrim Turan v. Turkey, 2 March 2006, no. 879/ 02 (third section). Eur J Health Law. 2006;13:281-2 pubmed
- Silove D, Brooks R, Bateman Steel C, Steel Z, Hewage K, Rodger J, et al. Explosive anger as a response to human rights violations in post-conflict Timor-Leste. Soc Sci Med. 2009;69:670-7 pubmed publisher..The data provide a foundation for exploring further the role of trauma-induced anger in the cycles of violence that are prevalent in post-conflict countries. ..
- London L, Rubenstein L, Baldwin Ragaven L, Van Es A. Dual loyalty among military health professionals: human rights and ethics in times of armed conflict. Camb Q Healthc Ethics. 2006;15:381-91 pubmed
- Pavlish C, Ho A. Human rights barriers for displaced persons in southern Sudan. J Nurs Scholarsh. 2009;41:284-92 pubmed publisher..The nature of living in poverty without development opportunities includes human rights abuses. Good governance, protection, and human development opportunities were emphasized as priority human rights ..
- Bockers E, Stammel N, Knaevelsrud C. Reconciliation in Cambodia: thirty years after the terror of the Khmer Rouge regime. Torture. 2011;21:71-83 pubmed..Thirty years after the Khmer Rouge regime this article gives an overview on the status of the country's current reconciliation process and recommends potential future steps. ..
- Dute J. European Court of Human Rights. ECHR 2003/10 Case of Kepenerov v. Bulgaria, 31 July 2003, no. 39269/98 (First Section). Eur J Health Law. 2003;10:391-2 pubmed
- Hillman A. Human rights and deinstitutionalization: a success story in the Americas. Rev Panam Salud Publica. 2005;18:374-9 pubmed
- Krása K. Human rights for women: the ethical and legal discussion about Female Genital Mutilation in Germany in comparison with other Western European countries. Med Health Care Philos. 2010;13:269-78 pubmed publisher..For instance, an obligation exists in France to inform administrative and medical authorities if FGM is suspected. FGM so far is not explicitly part of the curriculum for medical training in any of the examined countries. ..
- Mostad K, Moati E. Silent healers: on medical complicity in torture. Torture. 2008;18:150-60 pubmed..In the conclusion of the article a range of bullet-points is made available for medical professionals who want to address the issue of passive participation. ..
- Tegegne A. Morbidity and mortality due to human rights abuses must not be tolerated. Med Confl Surviv. 2004;20:355-8 pubmed
- Wolffers I, Verghis S, Marin M. Migration, human rights, and health. Lancet. 2003;362:2019-20 pubmed
- de Waal A. On famine crimes and tragedies. Lancet. 2008;372:1538-9 pubmed
- Rees S, van de Pas R, Silove D, Kareth M. Health and human security in West Papua. Med J Aust. 2008;189:641-3 pubmed..Australian health professionals are urged to assist in remediating this dire situation, in keeping with our tradition of contributing to the health care of societies in our region. ..
- Beiser M, Wiwa O, Adebajo S. Human-initiated disaster, social disorganization and post-traumatic stress disorder above Nigeria's oil basins. Soc Sci Med. 2010;71:221-227 pubmed publisher..In places like the Niger Delta, where people do not physically escape from past trauma, sociocultural disintegration may interfere with communal functioning, thereby eroding community capacity to promote self-healing. ..
- Brooks R, Silove D, Steel Z, Steel C, Rees S. Explosive anger in postconflict Timor Leste: interaction of socio-economic disadvantage and past human rights-related trauma. J Affect Disord. 2011;131:268-76 pubmed publisher..theory, Adaptation and Development after Persecution and Trauma (ADAPT), suggests that experiences of past human rights abuses interact with socio-economic disadvantage in the postconflict period to generate or maintain explosive ..
- Lee Koo K. Horror and hope: (re)presenting militarised children in global North-South relations. Third World Q. 2011;32:725-42 pubmed..It demonstrates how the image of the child soldier can assist in constructing knowledge about the global South, and the global North's obligations to it, either through programmes of humanitarianism, or through war. ..
- Rodriguez M, Garcia R. First, do no harm: the US sexually transmitted disease experiments in Guatemala. Am J Public Health. 2013;103:2122-6 pubmed publisher..We explore the backdrop for this unethical medical research and violation of human rights and call for steps the United States should take to provide relief and compensation to Guatemala and its people. ..
- Ward T, Gannon T, Birgden A. Human rights and the treatment of sex offenders. Sex Abuse. 2007;19:195-216 pubmed..We conclude that a significant advantage of a human rights approach is that it is able to integrate the value and capability aspects of offender treatment. ..
- Mejia R. Human rights. Grim statistics. Science. 2006;313:288-90 pubmed
- Halldin J. [We can't stay silent when people's lives and health care are jeopardized!]. Lakartidningen. 2005;102:2781-2 pubmed
- Tambiah Y. Sexuality and women's rights in armed conflict in Sri Lanka. Reprod Health Matters. 2004;12:78-87 pubmed..The challenge to women's and human rights advocates is how to articulate sexual autonomy as a necessary right on a par with others, and strategise to secure this right during armed conflict and postwar reconstruction. ..
- Relph S, Inamdar R, Singh H, Yoong W. Female genital mutilation/cutting: knowledge, attitude and training of health professionals in inner city London. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2013;168:195-8 pubmed publisher..Although the majority of respondents were aware of FGM/C, their ability to identify the condition and its associated morbidity remain suboptimal; more training is recommended in larger cities with a higher prevalence of this condition. ..
- Schuftan C. Poverty and the violation of human rights: a proposed conceptual framework. Int J Health Serv. 2012;42:485-98 pubmed..The framework is presented in a diagram format followed by a list of the major determinants in each causal level. ..
- Powell T. Cultural context in medical ethics: lessons from Japan. Philos Ethics Humanit Med. 2006;1:E4 pubmed..Japanese medical ethics: non-disclosure of medical information by Japanese physicians, and the history of human rights abuses by Japanese physicians during World War II...
- Matthews R. Indecent medicine: in defense of the absolute prohibition against physician participation in torture. Am J Bioeth. 2006;6:W34-44 pubmed
- Reeler T, Chitsike K, Maizva F, Reeler B. The Tree of Life: a community approach to empowering and healing the survivors of torture in Zimbabwe. Torture. 2009;19:180-93 pubmed..The Tree of Life appears to be a useful, cost-effective, non-professional method of assisting torture survivors. ..
- Newton Howes G, Ryan C. The use of community treatment orders in competent patients is not justified. Br J Psychiatry. 2017;210:311-312 pubmed publisher..We examine CTOs through the prism of human rights and discrimination, bearing the evidence in mind, and argue that a necessary condition for their use is that a person lacks decision-making capacity. ..
- Mitchell S, Ozonoff A, Zaslavsky A, Hedt Gauthier B, Lum K, Coull B. A comparison of marginal and conditional models for capture-recapture data with application to human rights violations data. Biometrics. 2013;69:1022-32 pubmed publisher..Model specification is an important consideration when interpreting population estimates from capture recapture analysis and the Casanare data is a protypical example of how that manifests. ..
- Gostin L, Gable L. The human rights of persons with mental disabilities: a global perspective on the application of human rights principles to mental health. MD Law Rev. 2004;63:20-121 pubmed
- Taback N, Coupland R. Towards collation and modelling of the global cost of armed violence on civilians. Med Confl Surviv. 2005;21:19-27 pubmed..The method could also help uphold the laws of war and human rights. ..
- Priebe S, Bogic M, Ashcroft R, Franciskovic T, Galeazzi G, Kucukalic A, et al. Experience of human rights violations and subsequent mental disorders - a study following the war in the Balkans. Soc Sci Med. 2010;71:2170-7 pubmed publisher..As compared to other stressful experiences, the experience of human rights violations similarly increases the risk of PTSD, but appears more important for MD. ..
- Khalil D. Abuses of the girl child in some African societies: implications for nurse practitioners. Nurs Forum. 2006;41:13-24 pubmed..This paper suggests strategies that healthcare professionals could initiate in situations where a girl child is being abused. ..
- Goodsmith L. Beyond where it started: a look at the "Healing Images" experience. Torture. 2007;17:222-32 pubmed..Some clients also welcomed opportunities to share their work publicly, as a means of raising awareness of the experience of survivors. ..
- London L, Benjamin P. Voluntary HIV testing and counselling at the workplace--entirely compatible with the Employment Equity Act. S Afr Med J. 2003;93:804 pubmed
- Tullus K. [American military physicians participate in torture-like deeds]. Lakartidningen. 2005;102:418 pubmed
- Cole T, Flanagin A. Violence and human rights: a call for papers. JAMA. 2006;296:2261-2 pubmed
- de Jong K, van der Kam S, Ford N, Hargreaves S, van Oosten R, Cunningham D, et al. Trauma of Chechnya's ongoing war on internally displaced people. Lancet. 2004;364:1008 pubmed
- Pavlish C, Ho A. Pathway to social justice: research on human rights and gender-based violence in a Rwandan refugee cAMP. ANS Adv Nurs Sci. 2009;32:144-57 pubmed publisher..Men described gender similarities while women emphasized gender differences in human rights. Ecological perspectives and rights-based approaches to achieving social justice seem warranted. ..
- Ahmad K. Crisis in Sudan set to worsen as annual rains approach. Lancet. 2004;363:1530 pubmed
- Jureidini R. Trafficking and contract migrant workers in the Middle East. Int Migr. 2010;48:142-63 pubmed..agents, or can employers who harm and/or exploit them be considered as traffickers alone? Should the harm done to workers on arrival at their place of work be classified (and assisted) as victims of trafficking, or as exploited workers? ..
- Charles J. Lebensunwertes Leben: the devolution of personhood in the Weimar and pre-Weimar era. Ethics Med. 2005;21:41-54 pubmed
- Calkins L. Detained and drugged: a brief overview of the use of pharmaceuticals for the interrogation of suspects, prisoners, patients, and POWs in the US. Bioethics. 2010;24:27-34 pubmed publisher..From the use of IV relaxants on criminal suspects during the 1920s to the Global War on Terror, the nexus of drugs, testing, and interrogations will be explored in both the domestic and international contexts. ..
- Bayntun C. What are we capable of? The motivations of perpetrators in South Africa during the Apartheid era. Med Confl Surviv. 2005;21:3-18 pubmed..The aim of the article is to prompt readers to ask the question: what are we capable of? ..
- Siegel D. The collected papers of Albert Einstein. Isis. 2007;98:800; author reply 800 pubmed
- Holt E. Rest and restraint. Lancet. 2004;364:829-30 pubmed
- Jurcevic S, Vlastelica M, Allen J, Dahl S. Gender differences in war-related disappearance in Croatia (1991-1995). Psychiatr Danub. 2008;20:53-62 pubmed..war in Croatia cost tens of thousands of lives (approximately 11834 persons killed between 1991-1994), and human rights abuses led to significant numbers of disappeared persons (3052)...