Summary: Actions which have a high risk of being harmful or injurious to oneself or others.
- Daley C, McNiel D, Binder R. "I did what?" Zolpidem and the courts. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2011;39:535-42 pubmed..Finally, a summary of recommendations will be provided for forensic psychiatrists who are asked to be experts in these cases...
- Siegel J. Dying for romance: risk taking as purposive behavior. Psychol Health Med. 2011;16:719-26 pubmed publisher..Moreover, need for romance at T1 was shown to be predictive of harm for romance at T2. Results are supportive of taking a purposive - that is, Tolmanian - approach, as a means for interpreting adolescent behavior. ..
- Bruns D, Fishbain D, Disorbio J, Lewis J. What variables are associated with an expressed wish to kill a doctor in community and injured patient samples?. J Clin Psychol Med Settings. 2010;17:87-97 pubmed publisher..001) scales of the BHI 2, and injury-related litigation status (p=.002). The presence of one of these variables, especially Doctor Dissatisfaction, should prompt a more thorough assessment of potential danger to healthcare workers. ..
- Schanda H, Stompe T, Ortwein Swoboda G. Dangerous or merely difficult? The new population of forensic mental hospitals. Eur Psychiatry. 2009;24:365-72 pubmed publisher..This development, which can be observed in nearly all European countries, raises concerns with regard to efforts to destigmatize both patients and psychiatry. ..
- Fitzpatrick C, Rakasi S, Knodler M. An investigation of the speeding-related crash designation through crash narrative reviews sampled via logistic regression. Accid Anal Prev. 2017;98:57-63 pubmed publisher..The use of logistic regression models based upon speeding-related crash typologies offers a promising method by which all possible speeding-related crashes could be identified. ..
- Aitken L, Oosthuizen P, Emsley R, Seedat S. Mass murders: implications for mental health professionals. Int J Psychiatry Med. 2008;38:261-9 pubmed
- Navon D, Kaplan T, Kasten R. Egocentric framing - one way people may fail in a switch dilemma: evidence from excessive lane switching. Acta Psychol (Amst). 2013;144:604-16 pubmed publisher..A possible psychological source for the human disposition to frame problems in a way that inflates expected gain is discussed. Finally, a heuristic meant to avert the source of the fallacy is proposed. ..
- Mewton L, Slade T, Memedovic S, Teesson M. Alcohol use in hazardous situations: implications for DSM-IV and DSM-5 alcohol use disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013;37 Suppl 1:E228-36 pubmed publisher..The current results indicate that the elimination of the hazard criterion would lead to a considerable decline in the prevalence of DSM-5 AUD and risk excluding a potentially clinically significant subtype of AUD from future diagnosis. ..
- Joanisse M, Gagnon S, Voloaca M. Overly cautious and dangerous: an empirical evidence of the older driver stereotypes. Accid Anal Prev. 2012;45:802-10 pubmed publisher..The potential implications on driving performance of older drivers and on driving cessation and are discussed. ..
- Grausgruber A, Schöny W, Grausgruber Berner R, Koren G, Apor B, Wancata J, et al. ["Schizophrenia has many faces" - evaluation of the Austrian Anti-Stigma-Campaign 2000-2002]. Psychiatr Prax. 2009;36:327-33 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, an increase of social distance towards this group of patients has also been noted. It is to be asked whether a short intervention can change people's profound attitudes. ..
- van den Brink R, Hooijschuur A, van Os T, Savenije W, Wiersma D. Routine violence risk assessment in community forensic mental healthcare. Behav Sci Law. 2010;28:396-410 pubmed publisher..69-0.93, and 0.84, 0.72-0.97). This latter finding suggests that in cases with unmet needs the case manager saw opportunities to do something about the risk. Currently we are testing whether using the method actually prevents violence. ..
- Recupero P. The mental status examination in the age of the internet. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2010;38:15-26 pubmed..This discussion will provide illustrative examples and suggestions for questions and topics the forensic psychiatrist may find helpful in conducting a thorough evaluation in this new age of the Internet. ..
- Szwarcwald C, Andrade C, Pascom A, Fazito E, Pereira G, Penha I. HIV-related risky practices among Brazilian young men, 2007. Cad Saude Publica. 2011;27 Suppl 1:S19-26 pubmed..3 per 10,000 in 2007, though the increase was not statistically significant. In conclusion, the evidences found in this paper indicate the need of reformulate policy among young adults. ..
- Norris E, Myers L. Determinants of personal protective equipment (PPE) use in UK motorcyclists: exploratory research applying an extended theory of planned behaviour. Accid Anal Prev. 2013;60:219-30 pubmed publisher..PPE determinants in this sample provide a preliminary basis for future uptake interventions. Larger scale and qualitative research is needed to further investigate relevant constructs. ..
- Wood J, Chaparro A, Carberry T, Chu B. Effect of simulated visual impairment on nighttime driving performance. Optom Vis Sci. 2010;87:379-86 pubmed publisher..Pedestrian recognition was greatly enhanced by marking limb joints in the pattern of "biomotion," which was relatively robust to the effects of visual impairment. ..
- Spehr A, Hill A, Habermann N, Briken P, Berner W. Sexual murderers with adult or child victims: are they different?. Sex Abuse. 2010;22:290-314 pubmed publisher..The high prevalence of violence and antisocial personality disorder in both groups seem to be important risk factors for committing a (sexual) homicide and might have outweighed other differences. ..
- Livingston M, Room R. Variations by age and sex in alcohol-related problematic behaviour per drinking volume and heavier drinking occasion. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2009;101:169-75 pubmed publisher..The study has implications for public health messages that focus on the risk of harm from drinking, clearly demonstrating that young drinkers are more likely to report problems for a given amount of drinking. ..
- Schmid A, Truog A, Damian F. Care of the suicidal pediatric patient in the ED: a case study. Am J Nurs. 2011;111:34-43; quiz 44-5 pubmed publisher..An illustrative case study is also provided. algorithm, Asperger's syndrome, attempted suicide, bullying, emergency, emergency department, patient safety, pediatrics, pediatric suicide, suicide, suicide screening, triage. ..
- Bleakley A, Romer D, Jamieson P. Violent film characters' portrayal of alcohol, sex, and tobacco-related behaviors. Pediatrics. 2014;133:71-7 pubmed publisher..The on-screen clustering of violence with other risk behaviors is cause for concern and worthy of additional research. ..
- Huemer A, Vollrath M. Driver secondary tasks in Germany: using interviews to estimate prevalence. Accid Anal Prev. 2011;43:1703-12 pubmed publisher..Overall, about 80% of all drivers conducted one to three secondary tasks. Thus, secondary task engagement is a serious issue in Germany and accident studies are needed to estimate drivers' risk. ..
- Anelli F, Ranzini M, Nicoletti R, Borghi A. Perceiving object dangerousness: an escape from pain?. Exp Brain Res. 2013;228:457-66 pubmed publisher..Possible neural mechanisms involved in the processing of dangerous graspable objects are discussed. ..
- Logan T, Walker R. Toward a deeper understanding of the harms caused by partner stalking. Violence Vict. 2010;25:440-55 pubmed..Furthermore, key informant reports of their advice to women being stalked by an ex-partner were not consistent with recommendations for stalking victims in general. ..
- Sulloway F, Zweigenhaft R. Birth order and risk taking in athletics: a meta-analysis and study of major league baseball. Pers Soc Psychol Rev. 2010;14:402-16 pubmed publisher..As expected, significant heterogeneity among various performance measures for major league baseball players indicated that older and younger brothers excelled in different aspects of the game. ..
- Whitley R, Berry S. Trends in newspaper coverage of mental illness in Canada: 2005-2010. Can J Psychiatry. 2013;58:107-12 pubmed..Currently, clinicians may direct patients and family members to other resources for more comprehensive and accurate information about mental illness. ..
- Vinkers D, de Vries S, van Baars A, Mulder C. Ethnicity and dangerousness criteria for court ordered admission to a psychiatric hospital. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2010;45:221-4 pubmed publisher..Violence towards others and neglect of relatives are more often a reason to request court ordered admission in BME than in White persons. BME patients are more often perceived as potentially dangerous to others. ..
- Jones A, Heckert D, Gondolf E, Zhang Q, Ip E. Complex behavioral patterns and trajectories of domestic violence offenders. Violence Vict. 2010;25:3-17 pubmed..Results suggest that evaluation based on complex outcomes may improve criminal justice intervention effectiveness, risk assessment, and risk management. ..
- Oue W. [Behavioral patterns of domestic terrorist groups in Japan]. Shinrigaku Kenkyu. 2013;84:218-28 pubmed..We categorized multiple far-left, far-right, and religious extremist groups based on these two dimensions. Our findings may help prevent terror attacks, and help identify the group responsible for a given incident. ..
- Nordentoft M, Branner J. Gender differences in suicidal intent and choice of method among suicide attempters. Crisis. 2008;29:209-12 pubmed..Suicidal intent was not related to dangerousness of suicide method. ..
- Smith K. Work-family conflict and job burnout among correctional staff: a comment on Lambert and Hogan (2010)1. Psychol Rep. 2011;108:23-6 pubmed..Suggestions are provided for follow-up efforts designed to extend this line of research and correct methodological issues. ..
- Greene E, Cahill B. Effects of neuroimaging evidence on mock juror decision making. Behav Sci Law. 2012;30:280-96 pubmed publisher..Neuropsychological and neuroimaging evidence also had mitigating effects on impressions of the defendant. We describe study limitations and pose questions for further research. ..
- ..Organizations with cultures which support fair working conditions and zero-tolerance for workplace aggression have been shown to help mitigate workplace violence. ..
- Joseph N, Benefield N. A joint offender personality disorder pathway strategy: an outline summary. Crim Behav Ment Health. 2012;22:210-7 pubmed publisher..This strategy offers a co-ordinated joint approach by both the National Health Service and the NOMS to the co-commissioning and development of pathway services. ..
- Logan C, Johnstone L. Personality disorder and violence: making the link through risk formulation. J Pers Disord. 2010;24:610-33 pubmed publisher..Personality disorder is used in this paper to illustrate the important contribution of formulation to the risk assessment process, and in doing so, the link between personality pathology and violence is explored. ..
- Gruber J. A review and synthesis of positive emotion and reward disturbance in bipolar disorder. Clin Psychol Psychother. 2011;18:356-65 pubmed publisher..Implications are discussed for the study of bipolar disorder and positive emotion that follow. ..
- Taubman Ben Ari O, Katz Ben Ami L. Family climate for road safety: a new concept and measure. Accid Anal Prev. 2013;54:1-14 pubmed publisher..The discussion deals with the validity and utility of the concept of family climate for road safety and its measurement, addressing the practical implications for road safety. ..
- Soole D, Watson B, Fleiter J. Effects of average speed enforcement on speed compliance and crashes: a review of the literature. Accid Anal Prev. 2013;54:46-56 pubmed publisher..Although comparatively expensive it represents a highly reliable approach to speed enforcement that produces considerable returns on investment through reduced social and economic costs associated with crashes. ..
- Ewing T, Barrios C, Lau C, Patel M, Cui E, Garcia S, et al. Predictors of hazardous drinking behavior in 1,340 adult trauma patients: a computerized alcohol screening and intervention study. J Am Coll Surg. 2012;215:489-95 pubmed publisher..More than one-third of patients with hazardous drinking behavior do not have detectable BAC on admission and are not receiving interventions in centers that screen solely based on BAC. ..
- Romine R, Miner M, Poulin D, Dwyer S, Berg D. Predicting reoffense for community-based sexual offenders: an analysis of 30 years of data. Sex Abuse. 2012;24:501-14 pubmed publisher..However, in no case were more than a couple of the items significantly related to reoffending and these items differed depending on reoffense definition. ..
- Finkelhor D. The prevention of childhood sexual abuse. Future Child. 2009;19:169-94 pubmed..Finkelhor also points to evidence that supports counseling strategies both for offenders, particularly juveniles, to reduce re-offending, and for victims, to prevent negative mental health and life course outcomes associated with abuse. ..
- Large M, Nielssen O. Suicide in Australia: meta-analysis of rates and methods of suicide between 1988 and 2007. Med J Aust. 2010;192:432-7 pubmed..The decline in rates of suicide in most parts of Australia coincides with a reduction in the availability of lethal methods. Consideration should be given to further measures to limit the availability of lethal methods of suicide. ..
- Shahrour T, Rehmani R. Testing psychiatric stigma in a general hospital in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J. 2009;30:1336-9 pubmed..The idea that the patients with psychiatric illness are to blame for their illness did not hold, while the idea that these patients are dangerous showed positive relationship with discriminatory behavior. ..
- Prochniak P. Psychological profile of Polish skydivers. Psychol Rep. 2011;108:263-73 pubmed..Skydivers also scored lower on Tradition, Universalism, and Benevolence values in comparison to the control group. ..
- Elliott M. Predicting motorcyclists' intentions to speed: effects of selected cognitions from the theory of planned behaviour, self-identity and social identity. Accid Anal Prev. 2010;42:718-25 pubmed publisher..Implications for theory development and safety interventions are discussed. ..
- Ozkan T, Lajunen T, Doğruyol B, Yıldırım Z, Coymak A. Motorcycle accidents, rider behaviour, and psychological models. Accid Anal Prev. 2012;49:124-32 pubmed publisher..While traffic errors were associated with the high score of perceived barriers and cues to action component of the HBM, control errors were related to the high score of vehicle and environment factor of the T-LOC. ..
- Hafetz J, JACOBSOHN L, Garcia Espana J, Curry A, Winston F. Adolescent drivers' perceptions of the advantages and disadvantages of abstention from in-vehicle cell phone use. Accid Anal Prev. 2010;42:1570-6 pubmed publisher..Almost 30% of adolescents held weaker advantage beliefs coupled with stronger disadvantage beliefs, placing them most at risk. These findings offer guidance for a wide range of intervention and health promotion efforts. ..
- Johnston K, Scialfa C. Hazard perception in emergency medical service responders. Accid Anal Prev. 2016;95:91-6 pubmed publisher..Directions for future research include the development of a profession-specific hazard perception tool for both assessment and training purposes. ..