Summary: The formally authorized guardianship or care of a CHILD.
- Chang J, Rhee S, Weaver D. Characteristics of child abuse in immigrant Korean families and correlates of placement decisions. Child Abuse Negl. 2006;30:881-91 pubmed..A culturally sensitive approach is strongly suggested for effective child abuse prevention and intervention services with this group by CPS agencies. ..
- Bastine R, Römer Wolf B, Decker F, Haid Loh A, Mayer S, Normann K. [Familiy mediation within the counselling system]. Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr. 2006;55:584-99 pubmed..was used to regulate conflicts in separation, divorce or post divorce, mainly concerned with issues of child custody. In contrast to the researchers' expectations, children were introduced at the mediation process only rarely...
- Rangarajan A, Gleason P. Young unwed fathers of AFDC children: do they provide support?. Demography. 1998;35:175-86 pubmed..Fathers' employment status and educational attainment positively affect the amount of economic support that they provide but do not strongly influence the amount of social support they provide. ..
- Seltzer J. Father by law: effects of joint legal custody on nonresident fathers' involvement with children. Demography. 1998;35:135-46 pubmed..These findings support the view that joint legal custody may encourage some aspects of paternal involvement after divorce. ..
- Malloy L, Lyon T. Caregiver support and child sexual abuse: why does it matter?. J Child Sex Abus. 2006;15:97-103 pubmed
- Bein N, Völkl Kernstock S, Klicpera C, Friedrich M. [The handling of custodial criteria by expert evaluators and the expectations for solution-oriented evaluations from the perspective of Austrian family court judges]. Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr. 2008;57:117-29 pubmed
- Stansbury C. Accessibility to a parent's psychotherapy records in custody disputes: how can the competing interests be balanced?. Behav Sci Law. 2010;28:522-41 pubmed publisher..The article concludes with strategies on addressing privilege issues in custody cases. ..
- Vitulano L, Nagler S, Adnopoz J, Grigsby R. Preventing out-of-home placement for high-risk children. Yale J Biol Med. 1990;63:285-91 pubmed..It is suggested that such community-based intervention programs enhance the likelihood that high-risk children can remain with their families. ..
- Ostwald K. [A "bambi" and the "first lady" on fire for the "nest-less"]. Kinderkrankenschwester. 2005;24:340-1 pubmed
- Davidson Arad B, Englechin Segal D, Wozner Y. Short-term follow-up of children at risk: comparison of the quality of life of children removed from home and children remaining at home. Child Abuse Negl. 2003;27:733-50 pubmed..Further research, however, is required, taking into consideration the interventions and services that the children and their families received in the different settings. ..
- Forehand R, Pelton J, Chance M, Armistead L, Morse E, Morse P, et al. Orphans of the AIDS epidemic in the United States: transition-related characteristics and psychosocial adjustment at 6 months after mother's death. AIDS Care. 1999;11:715-22 pubmed..Child psychosocial adjustment did not change following maternal death. ..
- Pruchno R, McKenney D. Psychological well-being of Black and White grandmothers raising grandchildren: examination of a two-factor model. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2002;57:P444-52 pubmed..The stability of the model for Black and White grandmothers highlights the similarity of the experience across race. ..
- Stanton A. Sudden unexpected death in infancy associated with maltreatment: evidence from long term follow up of siblings. Arch Dis Child. 2003;88:699-701 pubmed..Child protection intervention is rarely needed, but investigation and follow up for maltreatment is mandatory where apparent life threatening episodes are reported with a second baby, and after a recurrence of apparent SUDI. ..
- Sifris A. Access to infertility treatment: lessons from Patrick's story. J Law Med. 2003;11:9-15 pubmed
- Dragatsi D, Mejia B, Polania L, Sirulnik L, Kahn D. Court-mandated outpatient psychiatric care for a pregnant woman with psychosis: a unique bridge to alliance. J Psychiatr Pract. 2013;19:247-53 pubmed publisher..The ultimate benefit of this AOT application was the development of a therapeutic alliance and improved voluntary adherence to treatment, and a safe outcome to the pregnancy. ..
- Pignotti M. [Parental alienation syndrome (PAS): unknown in medical settings, endemic in courts]. Recenti Prog Med. 2013;104:54-8 pubmed publisher..In severe cases, PAS becomes a new and efficient tool of intra-familiar violence. The treatment of severe cases is to stop any contact between mother and children. The resort to PAS in Courts must be strongly rejected. ..
- Bernedo I, Fuentes M, Fernandez M. Behavioral problems in adolescents raised by their grandparents. Span J Psychol. 2008;11:453-63 pubmed..Meanwhile, it was shown that older adolescents had more somatic problems, as well as more behavioral problems, as measured by both the internal scale and total scale of the CBCL, than the younger participants. ..
- Goodman C. Intergenerational triads in skipped-generation grandfamilies. Int J Aging Hum Dev. 2007;65:231-58 pubmed
- Ewen B. Failure to protect laws: protecting children or punishing mothers?. J Forensic Nurs. 2007;3:84-6 pubmed..Failure to protect laws are designed to guard children from the negative effects of exposure to interpersonal violence. Not only haven't these laws been found to be helpful, but they may actually produce harm. ..
- Garignon C, Mure P, Paparel P, Chiche D, Mouriquand P. [Severe bladder dysfunction in the child abuse victim. Hinman syndrome]. Presse Med. 2001;30:1918-23 pubmed..Diagnosis and management by a multidisciplinary team involving paediatricians, paediatric urologists, physiotherapists, paediatric psychologists are detailed [corrected]...
- Bradley D. Perspectives on newborn abandonment. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2003;19:108-11 pubmed..Programs in emergency departments must be developed to expedite care and to support and protect life. ..
- Ruth U, Wentzel A, Freisleder F. [Aspects of the legal concession and its procedures concerning the commitment of juveniles to safe custody institutions in youth welfare care according to German (section sign) 1631 b BGB -- an Inquiry into 101 cases of adolescent psychiatric experti. Gesundheitswesen. 2004;66:739-47 pubmed
- Zlotnick C, Robertson M, Tam T. Substance use and separation of homeless mothers from their children. Addict Behav. 2003;28:1373-83 pubmed..Because many women with recent substance use had already had lost custody of their children, substance use contributed to loss of child custody among mothers who did not have substance use disorders.
- Goodman G. Accessing mental health care for children: relinquishing custody to save the child. Albany Law Rev. 2003;67:301-29 pubmed
- Stoeckle M. Journey to Anna and Marie. MCN Am J Matern Child Nurs. 2005;30:166-76 pubmed..This article describes the experiences of one nurse who adopted two children from China. Her experiences can enrich other nurses and help them understand what a mother goes through when traveling to a foreign country to adopt a child. ..
- Naylor M, Davidson C, Ortega Piron D, Bass A, Gutierrez A, Hall A. Psychotropic medication management for youth in state care: consent, oversight, and policy considerations. Child Welfare. 2007;86:175-92 pubmed
- Ondersma S, Malcoe L, Simpson S. Child protective services' response to prenatal drug exposure: results from a nationwide survey. Child Abuse Negl. 2001;25:657-68 pubmed..There is a need for research-based guidance and consensus building in CPS practice in this area. ..
- Rotheram Borus M, Lee M, Gwadz M, Draimin B. An intervention for parents with AIDS and their adolescent children. Am J Public Health. 2001;91:1294-302 pubmed..Interventions can reduce the long-term impact of parents' HIV status on themselves and their children. ..
- Saini M, Black T, Fallon B, Marshall A. Child custody disputes within the context of child protection investigations: secondary analysis of the Canadian Incident Study of Reported Child Abuse and Neglect. Child Welfare. 2013;92:115-37 pubmedThis national study of child custody disputes within the context of child protection investigations confirms and reinforces the perception in the field that child custody disputes are more likely to reopen for investigations, include ..
- Rapoport D. ["Opération pouponnières", yesterday and today: placement or a living environment?]. Soins Pediatr Pueric. 2017;38:19-21 pubmed publisher..From hospitalism to the emergence of the concept of compassionate care, professionals have constantly striven to support this evolution. ..
- Bernet W. Ridiculous statements by mental health experts. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2011;20:557-64 pubmed publisher..The author presents examples of ridiculous statements by mental health experts and provides suggestions for how a forensic practitioner might address ridiculous statements by mental health experts. ..
- Schyma C, Albalooshi Y, Madea B. Extended suicide by use of a chain saw. Forensic Sci Int. 2013;228:e16-9 pubmed publisher..In the presented case, the background was a litigation of a divorced couple for child custody.
- Berger J. Consent by proxy for nonurgent pediatric care. Pediatrics. 2003;112:1186-95 pubmed..Key issues to be considered when creating or updating office policies for obtaining and documenting consent by proxy are offered. ..
- Bensussan P. Forensic psychiatry in France: the Outreau case and false allegations of child sexual abuse. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2011;20:519-32 pubmed publisher..This article explains how psychiatric experts should conduct evaluations in cases of alleged child sexual abuse. ..
- DeGarmo D. Coercive and prosocial fathering, antisocial personality, and growth in children's postdivorce noncompliance. Child Dev. 2010;81:503-16 pubmed publisher..Findings were robust across boys and girls and age levels. Implications for preventive intervention are discussed. ..
- Nicholson J, Sweeney E, Geller J. Mothers with mental illness: I. The competing demands of parenting and living with mental illness. Psychiatr Serv. 1998;49:635-42 pubmed..Mothers with mental illness must play a role in developing standards for clinical care and the research agenda in this area. ..
- Kundra L, Alexander L. Termination of parental rights proceedings: legal considerations and practical strategies for parents with psychiatric disabilities and the practitioners who serve them. Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2009;33:142-9 pubmed publisher..Legal strategies such as raising this issue early in the termination process and practical strategies such as having a child care emergency plan are crucial to parents and practitioners who are navigating the child welfare system. ..
- Gunnoe M, Hetherington E. Stepchildren's perceptions of noncustodial mothers and noncustodial fathers: differences in socioemotional involvement and associations with adolescent adjustment problems. J Fam Psychol. 2004;18:555-63 pubmed..No effects for sex of child or interactions of sex of child/sex of NC parent were obtained. NC fathers might increase their influence in adolescents' lives by behaving more like NC mothers (more frequent phone calls, overnights, etc.). ..
- Haack M, Alemi F, Nemes S, Cohen J. Experience with family drug courts in three cities. Subst Abus. 2004;25:17-25 pubmed..Specialized Family Drug Courts show promise for an improved way to address child abuse and neglect involving parental substance use. They can also provide a unique clinical training experience for health professionals. ..
- Morris M, Smith S, Cressman J, Ancheta J. Evaluation of infants with subdural hematoma who lack external evidence of abuse. Pediatrics. 2000;105:549-53 pubmed..The high incidence of severe sequelae in infants with inflicted cerebral trauma warrants a vigorous approach. ..
- Sweda E. Lawsuits and secondhand smoke. Tob Control. 2004;13 Suppl 1:i61-6 pubmed
- Lacharité C. [Accommodations right after the parental divorce and discussion on the child and family]. Sante Ment Que. 2008;33:217-22 pubmed
- Trowse P. Surrogacy: is it harder to relinquish genes?. J Law Med. 2011;18:614-33 pubmed..The article concludes that surrogacy legislation should, subject to exceptional circumstances, encourage surrogacy arrangements where the child and the surrogate are not genetically related. ..
- Lavadera A, Ferracuti S, Togliatti M. Parental Alienation Syndrome in Italian legal judgments: an exploratory study. Int J Law Psychiatry. 2012;35:334-42 pubmed publisher..The consultant in these cases suggested individual psychotherapy for the children and recommended foster care to the Social Services agency. ..
- Bauserman R. Child adjustment in joint-custody versus sole-custody arrangements: a meta-analytic review. J Fam Psychol. 2002;16:91-102 pubmed..The results are consistent with the hypothesis that joint custody can be advantageous for children in some cases, possibly by facilitating ongoing positive involvement with both parents. ..
- Penn C. Meth abuse in Arkansas. J Ark Med Soc. 2006;102:218-9 pubmed
- Falco E. Commentary: Children and divorce. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2003;31:171-2 pubmed
- Worsham N, Kretchmar Hendricks M, Swenson N, Goodvin R. At-risk mothers' parenting capacity: an epistemological analysis of change through intensive intervention. Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2009;14:25-41 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we discuss the utility of an epistemological perspective in describing and exploring change in at-risk mothers, including possible implications for practice. ..
- Pruchno R. Raising grandchildren: the experiences of black and white grandmothers. Gerontologist. 1999;39:209-21 pubmed..White grandmothers experienced more burden from their caregiving role than did Black grandmothers. ..
- Rotheram Borus M, Lester P, Wang P, Shen Q. Custody plans among parents living with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004;158:327-32 pubmed..Parents' disclosure of HIV status, physical health status, substance use, and ethnicity were unrelated to making custody plans. Custody planning is a slow and unstable process in families affected by HIV. ..
- Quinnell F, Bow J. Psychological tests used in child custody evaluations. Behav Sci Law. 2001;19:491-501 pubmedControversy has long surrounded the use of psychological testing in child custody evaluations. The present study explored the current status of psychological testing in these evaluations using a national survey of 198 psychologists...
- Diekema D. Parental refusals of medical treatment: the harm principle as threshold for state intervention. Theor Med Bioeth. 2004;25:243-64 pubmed..Finally, I will suggest a series of criteria that can be used in deciding whether the state should intervene in a parent's decision to refuse medical care on behalf of a child. ..