Summary: Situations affecting a significant number of people, that are believed to be sources of difficulty or threaten the stability of the community, and that require programs of amelioration.
- Rosendal M, Vedsted P, Christensen K, Moth G. Psychological and social problems in primary care patients - general practitioners' assessment and classification. Scand J Prim Health Care. 2013;31:43-9 pubmed publisher..5%) with social problems. Both codes for problems/complaints and specific disorders were used as the GP's diagnostic classification of ..
- Pereira L, Prata M, Amorim A. Diversity of mtDNA lineages in Portugal: not a genetic edge of European variation. Ann Hum Genet. 2000;64:491-506 pubmed..We hypothesise that the recent Black African slave trade could have been the mediator of most of the L sequence inputs, while the population movement associated with the Muslim rule of Iberia has predominantly introduced U6 lineages. ..
- Leifman H. The measurement of alcohol-related social problems in Sweden. J Subst Abuse. 2000;12:197-212 pubmed..for the past 20 years or so they have almost never been used to study the relationship between drinking and social problems. Instead, not only drinking levels and drinking patterns, but also social problems associated with alcohol, ..
- Wright E, Kiely M, Lynch P, Cull A, Selby P. Social problems in oncology. Br J Cancer. 2002;87:1099-104 pubmedA study was undertaken to describe, evaluate and categorise the social problems experienced by cancer patients...
- Araoye M. Epidemiology of infertility: social problems of the infertile couples. West Afr J Med. 2003;22:190-6 pubmed..Adoption is not popular and assisted reproduction has medico-legal implications. Preventive measures are suggested, including counselling at every stage of the management. ..
- Freudenberg N, Ruglis J. Reframing school dropout as a public health issue. Prev Chronic Dis. 2007;4:A107 pubmed..Finally, we recommend actions health professionals can take to reframe the school dropout rate as a public health issue and to improve school completion rates in the United States. ..
- Popay J, Kowarzik U, Mallinson S, Mackian S, Barker J. Social problems, primary care and pathways to help and support: addressing health inequalities at the individual level. Part II: lay perspectives. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2007;61:972-7 pubmedThis study aimed to describe social problems presented to general practitioners (GPs) in UK inner cities and GPs' responses; describe patients help-seeking pathways; and consider how these pathways can be improved...
- Sans M. Admixture studies in Latin America: from the 20th to the 21st century. Hum Biol. 2000;72:155-77 pubmed..Finally, the perspectives for admixture studies in the 21st century are considered, and some attempts to predict their future in Latin America are made. ..
- Popay J, Kowarzik U, Mallinson S, Mackian S, Barker J. Social problems, primary care and pathways to help and support: addressing health inequalities at the individual level. Part I: the GP perspective. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2007;61:966-71 pubmedThis study aimed to describe social problems presented to general practitioners (GPs) in UK inner cities and GPs' responses; describe patients' help-seeking pathways; and consider how these pathways can be improved...
- Benn Torres J, Kittles R, Stone A. Mitochondrial and Y chromosome diversity in the English-speaking Caribbean. Ann Hum Genet. 2007;71:782-90 pubmed..This study sheds light on the history of Africans in the Americas as well as contributing to our understanding of the nature and extent of diversity within the African Diaspora. ..
- Daiski I. Perspectives of homeless people on their health and health needs priorities. J Adv Nurs. 2007;58:273-81 pubmed
- Small W, Rhodes T, Wood E, Kerr T. Public injection settings in Vancouver: physical environment, social context and risk. Int J Drug Policy. 2007;18:27-36 pubmed
- Loewenberg S. Tackling the causes of ill health in Rio's slums. Lancet. 2005;365:925-6 pubmed
- Brehm A, Pereira L, Bandelt H, Prata M, Amorim A. Mitochondrial portrait of the Cabo Verde archipelago: the Senegambian outpost of Atlantic slave trade. Ann Hum Genet. 2002;66:49-60 pubmed..The total Cabo Verde sample clearly displays the characteristic mitochondrial features of the Atlantic fringe of western Africa and testifies to almost no mitochondrial input from the Portuguese colonizers. ..
- Salas A, Richards M, Lareu M, Sobrino B, Silva S, Matamoros M, et al. Shipwrecks and founder effects: divergent demographic histories reflected in Caribbean mtDNA. Am J Phys Anthropol. 2005;128:855-60 pubmed
- Skitka L, Mullen E, Griffin T, Hutchinson S, Chamberlin B. Dispositions, scripts, or motivated correction? Understanding ideological differences in explanations for social problems. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2002;83:470-487 pubmed publisher..has consistently found that liberals and conservatives generate different attributions for the causes of social problems and respond differently to people who have internal-controllable causes for needing help...
- Salas A, Richards M, Lareu M, Scozzari R, Coppa A, Torroni A, et al. The African diaspora: mitochondrial DNA and the Atlantic slave trade. Am J Hum Genet. 2004;74:454-65 pubmed..However, they also indicate that, at least for the moment, considerable caution is warranted when assessing claims to be able to trace the ancestry of particular lineages to a particular locality within modern-day Africa. ..
- Hall J, Porter L, Longhi D, Becker Green J, Dreyfus S. Reducing adverse childhood experiences (ACE) by building community capacity: a summary of Washington Family Policy Council research findings. J Prev Interv Community. 2012;40:325-34 pubmed publisher..sought to demonstrate the strong impact of the community networks' capacity to interrupt health and social problems. Findings suggest that community networks reduce health and safety problems for the entire community ..
- Geary D. Racial liberalism, the Moynihan Report & the Daedalus Project on "The Negro American". Daedalus. 2011;140:53-66 pubmed..He considers the close relationship between scholarship and public policy that existed at the time and reflects on the ways liberal ideas about race have changed in the decades since. ..
- Larkins S, Page R, Panaretto K, Mitchell M, Alberts V, McGinty S, et al. The transformative potential of young motherhood for disadvantaged Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women in Townsville, Australia. Med J Aust. 2011;194:551-5 pubmed..Young Indigenous parents often come from extremely disadvantaged backgrounds, and becoming a parent may be the impetus for positive change. ..
- Li R, Jaspan H, O BRIEN V, Rabie H, Cotton M, Nattrass N. Positive futures: a qualitative study on the needs of adolescents on antiretroviral therapy in South Africa. AIDS Care. 2010;22:751-8 pubmed publisher..As increasing numbers of HIV-infected children enter adolescence, healthcare providers and communities must find ways to support these young people to transition into adulthood. ..
- Bohnert A, Roeder K, Ilgen M. Unintentional overdose and suicide among substance users: a review of overlap and risk factors. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2010;110:183-92 pubmed publisher..An improved understanding of the interrelationships between suicide and unintentional overdose among individuals who use alcohol or drugs is necessary to guide the development of effective prevention and intervention approaches. ..
- Bellver Capella V. [Crisis and future of humanity]. Rev Enferm. 2012;35:6-14 pubmed
- García Ubaque J, Riaño Casallas M, Benavides Piracón J. [Informal employment, unemployment and underemployment: a matter of public health]. Rev Salud Publica (Bogota). 2012;14 Suppl 1:138-50 pubmed
- Jost J, Federico C, Napier J. Political ideology: its structure, functions, and elective affinities. Annu Rev Psychol. 2009;60:307-37 pubmed publisher..Finally, we consider the consequences of ideology, especially with respect to attitudes, evaluations, and processes of system justification. ..
- Mulia N, Zemore S. Social adversity, stress, and alcohol problems: Are racial/ethnic minorities and the poor more vulnerable?. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2012;73:570-80 pubmed..Efforts to reduce both differential exposure and vulnerability might help to mitigate these disparities. ..
- Palomar Lever J, Victorio Estrada A. Factors that influence emotional disturbance in adults living in extreme poverty. Scand J Psychol. 2012;53:158-64 pubmed publisher..These variables were better predictors than optimism, locus of control, sense of humor or religiosity. ..
- Yoder J, Mattheis A. Queer in STEM: Workplace Experiences Reported in a National Survey of LGBTQA Individuals in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Careers. J Homosex. 2016;63:1-27 pubmed publisher..An analysis of 1,427 responses to this survey provided the first broad portrait of this population, and it revealed trends related to workplace practices that can inform efforts to improve queer inclusivity in STEM workplaces. ..
- Anacleta V, Santos C, Luís C, Nunes P, Brito M. [Immigrant children in a pediatric department: what social problems?]. Acta Med Port. 2009;22:743-8 pubmed..Prospective study, from November 2004 to March 2005; demographic and socioeconomic data, diagnosis and social problems were analysed. A total of 35 children were observed, 22 (62.8%) immigrants, 42...
- Louthrenoo O, Ukarapol N, Wongsawasdi L. Psychosocial problems and childhood recurrent abdominal pain. J Med Assoc Thai. 2010;93:1379-84 pubmed..The findings in the study suggest a biopsychosocial approach in children with RAP. Psychosocial assessment should be considered even in RAP with identified organic findings. ..
- Brzank P. [(Domestic) violence against women: socioeconomic consequences and societal costs. Introduction and overview]. Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz. 2009;52:330-8 pubmed publisher..Estimations from international studies on the societal costs illustrate the economic dimension. ..
- Lam C. Experiential and reflective learning approaches for the train-the-trainers program of Project P.A.T.H.S. Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2011;23:305-10 pubmed..The paper inquires into the dilemma of experiential and reflective learning. Recommendations are presented for those interested in using experiential and reflective approaches for training programs. ..
- Powell Jackson T, Basu S, Balabanova D, McKee M, Stuckler D. Democracy and growth in divided societies: A health-inequality trap?. Soc Sci Med. 2011;73:33-41 pubmed publisher..To reduce child and maternal mortality in highly divided societies, it will be necessary not only to increase growth and promote democratic elections, but also empower disenfranchised communities. ..
- Baldwin S, Eisenman D, Sayles J, Ryan G, Chuang K. Identification of human trafficking victims in health care settings. Health Hum Rights. 2011;13:E36-49 pubmed..Increasing awareness of human trafficking, and modifying practice to facilitate disclosure, could improve victim identification. ..
- Ross K, Dorris L, McMillan T. A systematic review of psychological interventions to alleviate cognitive and psychosocial problems in children with acquired brain injury. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2011;53:692-701 pubmed publisher..We discuss how future research may consider issues such as age-appropriate interventions, the delivery format, and optimum post-injury timing of interventions, as well as multicentre collaborations. ..
- Charach A, Yeung E, Climans T, Lillie E. Childhood attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and future substance use disorders: comparative meta-analyses. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2011;50:9-21 pubmed publisher..71-3.27). The association with drug use disorder, nonalcohol (N = 593), was highly influenced by a single study. Childhood ADHD is associated with alcohol and drug use disorders in adulthood and with nicotine use in adolescence. ..
- Single E. Why we should still estimate the costs of substance abuse even if we needn't pay undue attention to the bottom line. Drug Alcohol Rev. 2009;28:117-21 pubmed publisher..The presentation concludes on a personal note of farewell, as this is the author's final conference presentation. ..
- Courvoisier D, Agoritsas T, Glauser J, Michaud K, Wolfe F, Cantoni E, et al. Pain as an important predictor of psychosocial health in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2012;64:190-6 pubmed publisher..This large cohort study demonstrates that pain is the most important predictor of a patient's psychosocial health in RA patients. This suggests that physicians should place greater emphasis on pain management. ..
- Goebel A. "Our struggle is for the full loaf": protests, social welfare and gendered citizenship in South Africa. J South Afr Stud. 2011;37:369-88 pubmed..The Durban-based shack-dwellers' movement Abahlali baseMjondolo is used to illustrate these points, as are original quantitative and qualitative data from urban townships in KwaZulu-Natal. ..
- Eitle D, Eitle T. Public school segregation and juvenile violent crime arrests in metropolitan areas. Sociol Q. 2010;51:436-59 pubmed
- Egan M, Bond L, Kearns A, Tannahill C. Is concern about young people's anti-social behaviour associated with poor health? Cross-sectional evidence from residents of deprived urban neighbourhoods. BMC Public Health. 2012;12:217 pubmed publisher..Future research should evaluate interventions that attempt to reduce PASB in disadvantaged areas. Findings from this study could help inform the targeting of such interventions. ..
- Green L. The nobodies: neoliberalism, violence, and migration. Med Anthropol. 2011;30:366-85 pubmed publisher..These phenomena point us toward an understanding of the historical dimensions and the power dynamics of profiteering off the poor through the production of their vulnerabilities and the commodification of their very being. ..
- Rothwell J, Massey D. Density zoning and class segregation in U.S. metropolitan areas. Soc Sci Q. 2010;91:1123-143 pubmed..This arrangement perpetuates and exacerbates racial and class inequality in the United States. ..
- Earls F. Darwin and Lincoln: their legacy of human dignity. Perspect Biol Med. 2010;53:3-13 pubmed publisher..The essay concludes with a set of questions and challenges that confront us, foremost among which is the need to balance actions in response to the violation of negative rights by actions in the pursuit of positive rights. ..
- Jackson S, Hafemeister T. Risk factors associated with elder abuse: the importance of differentiating by type of elder maltreatment. Violence Vict. 2011;26:738-57 pubmed
- Jacob K. Alcohol and public health policies in India. Natl Med J India. 2010;23:224-5 pubmed
- Gámez Guadix M, Orue I, Calvete E. Evaluation of the cognitive-behavioral model of generalized and problematic Internet use in Spanish adolescents. Psicothema. 2013;25:299-306 pubmed publisher..The GPIUS2 is a reliable and valid instrument that can be used in adolescent samples. Furthermore, the results support the cognitive behavioral model of problematic Internet use in adolescents. ..
- Udoh I. Oil, migration, and the political economy of HIV/AIDS prevention in Nigeria's Niger Delta. Int J Health Serv. 2013;43:681-97 pubmed..The elevated HIV/AIDS risk in the Niger Delta brings into focus the political economy of resource extraction, globalization, and indigenous, minority rights and struggles. ..
- Nnawulezi N, Campbell C, Landstra K, Davis S, Vandegrift C, Taylor A. Star power: an experiential learning exercise to foster ecological perspectives on power, privilege, and oppression. J Prev Interv Community. 2013;41:113-20 pubmed publisher..This article highlights three representative student perspectives concerning their participation and experience with Star Power. Strategies for facilitating class discussion are also reported. ..