Summary: A social science dealing with group relationships, patterns of collective behavior, and social organization.
- Allain J, Anokwa M, Casbard A, Owusu Ofori S, Dennis Antwi J. Sociology and behaviour of West African blood donors: the impact of religion on human immunodeficiency virus infection. Vox Sang. 2004;87:233-40 pubmed..Collecting blood at places of worship with a strict behavioural code and from donors practicing in the community of their birth might improve blood safety. ..
- Wheaton B. The role of sociology in the study of mental health ... and the role of mental health in the study of sociology. J Health Soc Behav. 2001;42:221-34 pubmed..coupled with the articulation within the discipline of the importance of mental health in the study of sociology. I consider these roles both through examples and speculation, emphasizing the unique combination of conceptual ..
- Pescosolido B. Of pride and prejudice: the role of sociology and social networks in integrating the health sciences. J Health Soc Behav. 2006;47:189-208 pubmed..Existing efforts raise concerns about how a panorama of influences can be considered simultaneously. Sociology's view of contexts as social network structures that shape and are shaped in social interaction offers one key ..
- Groenewegen P. Trust and the sociology of the professions. Eur J Public Health. 2006;16:3-4 pubmed
- Brown T. Critical race theory speaks to the sociology of mental health: mental health problems produced by racial stratification. J Health Soc Behav. 2003;44:292-301 pubmedThe sociology of mental health focuses on the epidemiology, etiology, correlates, and consequences of mental health (i.e...
- Horwitz A. Outcomes in the sociology of mental health and illness: where have we been and where are we going?. J Health Soc Behav. 2002;43:143-51 pubmed..The papers in this symposium that follow provide more detailed analyses of each of these issues. ..
- Lopez J. How sociology can save bioethics . . . maybe. Sociol Health Illn. 2004;26:875-96 pubmed..Once bioethics is redescribed as a discursive formation, the paper explores the challenges and obstacles that sociology and ethnography face in their attempt to open up a space for themselves in bioethics...
- Hedström P. Sociology. Experimental macro sociology: predicting the next best seller. Science. 2006;311:786-7 pubmed
- Kessler R. The categorical versus dimensional assessment controversy in the sociology of mental illness. J Health Soc Behav. 2002;43:171-88 pubmed..The paper closes with an argument for the tandem use of categorical and dimensional assessments in future sociological research. ..
- Aneshensel C. Commentary: answers and questions in the sociology of mental health. J Health Soc Behav. 2002;43:236-46 pubmed..Although these papers present diverse and sometimes conflicting perspectives, collectively they demonstrate that no one approach to outcomes is best for all research questions. ..
- Heyman K. Sociology. Making connections. Science. 2006;313:604-6 pubmed
- Kelly S. Public bioethics and publics: consensus, boundaries, and participation in biomedical science policy. Sci Technol Human Values. 2003;28:339-64 pubmed..The theoretical discussion is examined in the case of the U.S. Human Embryo Research Panel. ..
- Fuentes J, Quiroga E. The "fashion-form" of modern society and its relationship to psychology. Span J Psychol. 2009;12:383-90 pubmed..By means of the third principle, we point up that the diverse psychologies are forms of seduction. We conclude by stating that psychology has the form of fashion and we analyze how this form can help us to better understand it. ..
- Sawires S, Birnbaum N, Abu Raddad L, Szekeres G, Gayle J. Twenty-five years of HIV: lessons for low prevalence scenarios. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2009;51 Suppl 3:S75-82 pubmed publisher..This paper reviews several key issues and advances in biomedical and behavioural HIV prevention to date and highlights relevance to low prevalence scenarios. ..
- Sar V, Ozturk E. Functional dissociation of the self: a socio-cognitive approach to trauma and dissociation. J Trauma Dissociation. 2007;8:69-89 pubmed
- Morus I. Placing performance. Isis. 2010;101:775-8 pubmed..Lastly, the essay suggests, the emphasis on performance invites us to develop new, nontextual strategies for representing our own researches. ..
- Ben Gobrane H, Aounallah Skhiri H, Oueslati F, Hsairi M, Nacef T. [Opinion of the Population of Tunis about the physician social image]. Tunis Med. 2011;89:236-42 pubmed
- Backes D, Erdmann A, Erdmann R. [The rationalist-critical thought and the theory of social systems: possible approach to health and nursing]. Rev Gaucha Enferm. 2008;29:143-6 pubmed..It concludes that communication in health care enables patients to manifest more adhesion, emancipation, and autonomy towards the therapeutical process. ..
- Barlow J, Ewers R, Anderson L, Aragão L, Baker T, Boyd E, et al. Using learning networks to understand complex systems: a case study of biological, geophysical and social research in the Amazon. Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc. 2011;86:457-74 pubmed publisher..This approach could be useful for a variety of globally important scientific questions. ..
- Reihling H. [Rejecting or prioritizing life? The ambiguities of AIDS biopolitics in Uruguay]. Cien Saude Colet. 2010;15 Suppl 1:1159-68 pubmed..Although the case is not representative, it identifies dynamics within the Uruguayan health system which are difficult to discern through conventional statistical methods. ..
- Korzen S, Lassen J. Meat in context. On the relation between perceptions and contexts. Appetite. 2010;54:274-81 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that the deployment of context as a methodological and interpretive frame improves our understanding of disparities in the reporting of public perceptions of food qualities. ..
- Miranda M. [Buenos Aires, between Eros and Thanatos. Prostitution as dysgenic threat (1930-1955)]. Dynamis. 2012;32:93-113, 6-7 pubmed..Medicine and law, among other disciplines, made important inputs into a simplified approach to this problem. ..
- Riquinho D, Correia S. [Maternal mortality: socio-demographic and causal profile]. Rev Bras Enferm. 2006;59:303-7 pubmed
- Peñaranda Correa F. [Social forces and the communicative scenario in health education: the case of the growth and development program]. Cien Saude Colet. 2011;16:4023-31 pubmed..Understanding this social process from a wider theoretical perspective strengthens critical positions, which is required for achieving more pertinent health education from a socio-cultural dimension. ..
- Chen Y, Chen Y. Lesbians in China's mainland: a brief introduction. J Lesbian Stud. 2006;10:113-25 pubmed..The first part also describes lesbian research in the field of literature, psychiatry and sociology. The relevant research in literature is relatively systematic and rich, while that in psychiatry is fraught with ..
- Pardo A. [The new lepers]. Rev Med Univ Navarra. 2007;51:42-4 pubmed
- Beyer H, Liebe U. Three experimental approaches to measure the social context dependence of prejudice communication and discriminatory behavior. Soc Sci Res. 2015;49:343-55 pubmed publisher..And third, choice experiments - a rather new method in sociology - offer a more valid method of measuring behavioral characteristics compared to simple items in surveys...
- Marseglia C, Diomede E, Marsano M. [Socio-cultural dynamics in health care: communication as a step in the curing process]. Prof Inferm. 2012;65:203-7 pubmed..At the end of the course, participants were asked to assess the results obtained: some critical points were identified and suggestions were made to improve the level of communication between health professional and patients. ..
- Franklin S. Conception through a looking glass: the paradox of IVF. Reprod Biomed Online. 2013;27:747-55 pubmed publisher..Learning from this paradox must be part of the legacy of IVF's first half-century if its future evolution is to be directed wisely, safely and conscientiously. ..
- Tsoucalas G, Kousoulis A, Karamanou M, Stamboulis E, Androutsos G. The hygienist and sociologist Louis-René Villermé (1782-1863): a pioneer of occupational medicine. Med Lav. 2012;103:243-8 pubmed..He provided a reference model for socio-medical research and contributed to the establishment of the new scientific discipline, Occupational Medicine. ..
- Naami A, Hayashi R. Perceptions about disability among Ghanaian university students. J Soc Work Disabil Rehabil. 2012;11:100-11 pubmed publisherAn exploratory/descriptive study was conducted on a sample of university students, including 305 social work and sociology majors, in Ghana to evaluate their attitudes toward disabilities...
- Collins H, Evans R, Weinel M. Expertise revisited, Part II: Contributory expertise. Stud Hist Philos Sci. 2016;56:103-10 pubmed publisher..In Part II we will look at the notion of contributory expertise. The exercise has been triggered by recent discussion of these concepts in this journal by Plaisance and Kennedy and by Goddiksen. ..
- Puccini P. [Prospects for controlling hospital infection and the new social forces for upholding healthcare]. Cien Saude Colet. 2011;16:3043-9 pubmed
- Chodrow P. Structure and information in spatial segregation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:11591-11596 pubmed publisher..Modeling the structure and dynamics of segregation is a pressing problem for sociology and urban planning, but existing methods have limitations...
- de Faria R, Sayd J. [A socio-historical approach to the evolution of childbirth assistance in a medium-sized city in Minas Gerais (1960-2001)]. Cien Saude Colet. 2013;18:2421-30 pubmed..Understanding inequalities and discussing their more difficult ramifications, with respect to morbidity, mortality, and unequal standards of care, are preconditions to finding solutions to these ubiquitous problems. ..
- Canesqui A. [Themes and approaches of academic production at Social and Human Sciences in Health from 1997 to 2007]. Cien Saude Colet. 2010;15:1955-66 pubmed..A multi-institutional research agenda is recommended to refine the investigations on health conditions and social transformations; health policies and services; professional training; knowledge and technologies. ..
- Fernandes M, de Freitas G. [Building the knowledge of the nursing student: an ethical-social approach]. Rev Bras Enferm. 2007;60:62-7 pubmed..Motivations because: construction of knowledge based on life experiences and self care supported by autonomy Theoretial and practical knowledge of nursing undergraduate was built up through of new challenges. ..
- Dowsett G, Couch M. Male circumcision and HIV prevention: is there really enough of the right kind of evidence?. Reprod Health Matters. 2007;15:33-44 pubmed
- Thayer B. Considering population and war: a critical and neglected aspect of conflict studies. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009;364:3081-92 pubmed publisher..I conclude with some reasons for guarded optimism about the incorporation of population as a component of analysis in the discipline of international studies, and for the potential to devise new solutions to prevent conflict. ..
- Porto M, Milanez B. [Economic development axis and socioenvironmental conflicts generation in Brazil: challenges to sustainability and environmental justice]. Cien Saude Colet. 2009;14:1983-94 pubmed..We conclude proposing some elements that could be incorporated by a research agenda committed to the debate about the 'socioenvironmental crisis'. ..
- Tognoni G. [A conceptual and operational framework for an epidemiology of citizenship]. Assist Inferm Ric. 2010;29:104-10 pubmed..The introduction of the book is proposed where its background and philosophy are presented and discussed. ..
- Treiber L, Jones J. Devastatingly human: an analysis of registered nurses' medication error accounts. Qual Health Res. 2010;20:1327-42 pubmed publisher..Sixth, embedded within many of the accounts was a "lessons learned" theme, through which nurses developed "personal rules" as a result of an error. We conclude with suggestions for additional research. ..
- de Souza Filho E. [Social representations of complex social environments through drawings and texts]. Rev Gaucha Enferm. 2009;30:716-23 pubmed..There was statistical diferentiation on objects, spatial perspectives, teacher colleagues and student. Among high academic performer African-Brazilians we noticed more references to colleagues and conflict/negotiation with teachers. ..
- Arreaza A. [Critical epidemiology: for a theoretical praxis of knowing how and when to act]. Cien Saude Colet. 2012;17:1001-13 pubmed
- Botêlho S, Boery R, Vilela A, Santos W, Pinto L, Ribeiro V, et al. [Maternal care of the premature child: a study of the social representations]. Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2012;46:929-34 pubmed..Love and care appear to be the center of the representations. Love refers to the exercise of the mother role. Care may represent the wish to find improvements for their child. ..
- de França I, Pagliuca L. [Social inclusion of disabled people: achievements, challenges and implications for the nursing area]. Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2009;43:178-85 pubmed..The rehabilitation nurses must know the experiences of these subjects and their relatives to help them with strategies of coping for the problems affecting their inclusion, and consequently their health. ..
- Landman A, Cortese D, Glantz S. Tobacco industry sociological programs to influence public beliefs about smoking. Soc Sci Med. 2008;66:970-81 pubmed publisher..These programs allowed the tobacco industry to affect public and academic discourse on the social acceptability of smoking. ..
- Santelle O, Lefevre A, Cervato A. [Social representations of eating and nutrition by residents of homes for the elderly in São Paulo, Brazil]. Cad Saude Publica. 2007;23:3061-5 pubmed..This study identified psychological and social factors that may lead to malnutrition among the elderly in institutions. ..
- Gregory T, Gaillard R, Grenier A. [Hopes for future practice of junior orthopedic surgeons in France: a sociological study]. Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 2007;93:429-34 pubmed..The desire for "free time" was particularly important. Fewer juniors wanted to practice in general hospitals. For orthopedic surgeons, private practice and payment by fees are the cornerstones of medical practice. ..
- Nunes E, do Nascimento J, de Barros N. [The curricular issue for academic training plan in Public Health: theoretical aspects]. Cien Saude Colet. 2010;15:1935-43 pubmed..On the other hand, establishing a framework that supports inclusion of new areas and which parameters are established between the curriculum of undergraduate and postgraduate studies in public health. ..