Summary: A political and economic system characterized by individual rights, by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market. (From Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th ed)
- Lister J. Editorial: can global health be good business?. Trop Med Int Health. 2006;11:255-7 pubmed
- Timimi S. The McDonaldization of childhood: children's mental health in neo-liberal market cultures. Transcult Psychiatry. 2010;47:686-706 pubmed publisher..economic, political, and cultural pressures, I discuss how policies that promote a particular form of aggressive capitalism lead to a narcissistic value system that permeates social institutions, including those that deal with children...
- Green A. Working ethics: William Beaumont, Alexis St. Martin, and medical research in antebellum America. Bull Hist Med. 2010;84:193-216 pubmed publisher..in which personal master-servant relations existed alongside the "free" contract labor of market capitalism. Their relationship reflected and helped constitute important developments in nineteenth-century American labor ..
- Quinn J. Vetting McCain's health plan. Newsweek. 2008;152:81 pubmed
- Ecks S, Basu S. The unlicensed lives of antidepressants in India: generic drugs, unqualified practitioners, and floating prescriptions. Transcult Psychiatry. 2009;46:86-106 pubmed publisher..Both theories assume that multinational capitalism drives rising depression rates...
- Roberts M. Capitalism, psychiatry, and schizophrenia: a critical introduction to Deleuze and Guattari's Anti-Oedipus. Nurs Philos. 2007;8:114-27 pubmed..As the first of a two-volume body of work that bears the subtitle, Capitalism and Schizophrenia, Anti-Oedipus is, to say the least, an unconventional work that should be understood, in part, ..
- Sommer R. Thorstein Veblen and Dementia praecox. J Hist Behav Sci. 2007;43:305-13 pubmed..This detachment is consistent with Veblen's approach to writing. Veblen considered himself to be a detached observer who wrote objectively about society rather than subjectively about himself. ..
- Williams A. Restructuring home care in the 1990s: geographical differentiation in Ontario, Canada. Health Place. 2006;12:222-38 pubmed..The two sites are Sault Ste. Marie, located in northern Ontario's medically under-serviced northern health region, and Guelph, found in the province's well-serviced southern region. ..
- Lepofsky J, Nash S, Kaserman B, Gesler W. I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV: E.R. and the place of contemporary health care in fixing crisis. Health Place. 2006;12:180-94 pubmed..What E.R. provides is a powerful, if limited, "realistic" portrayal about the role of health care today-a role that is increasingly considered to be shaped by the need to intervene in crisis. ..
- Bright L. Fair trade in care?. Nurs Older People. 2005;17:6 pubmed
- Applbaum K. 'Consumers are patients!' shared decision-making and treatment non-compliance as business opportunity. Transcult Psychiatry. 2009;46:107-30 pubmed publisher..medical approaches. I propose a research agenda for measuring the effects of industry compliance programs. ..
- Donohoe M. Causes and health consequences of environmental degradation and social injustice. Soc Sci Med. 2003;56:573-87 pubmed..Specific suggestions for action are discussed. ..
- Chakrabarti A, Dhar A. Interrogating inclusive development in India's transition process. Coll Antropol. 2012;36:1089-99 pubmed..This dyad of inclusion-exclusion of other is produced in relation to the centers of capitalism and modernism...
- Weisbrot M, Baker D, Kraev E, Chen J. The scorecard on globalization 1980-2000: its consequences for economic and social well-being. Int J Health Serv. 2002;32:229-53 pubmed
- Restuccia R, Singleton M, Thorpe K. 1Q[3a]. Are CON laws relevant again as niche facilities multiply?. Hosp Health Netw. 2002;76:26 pubmed
- Navarro V. A critique of social capital. Int J Health Serv. 2002;32:423-32 pubmed..S. communitarianism and its European versions, Christian democracy and New Labour, and the limitations of both approaches. The uses and misuses of these concepts in the political debate are discussed. ..
- Crompton R. Employment, flexible working and the family. Br J Sociol. 2002;53:537-58 pubmed..In the concluding section, a programme of research that would examine these changes is outlined. ..
- Coutu D. I was greedy, too. Harv Bus Rev. 2003;81:38-44, 123 pubmed..Why did so many of us fall prey to greed? With a deep, almost reflexive trust in the free market, are Americans somehow greedier than other peoples? And as we look at the wreckage from the 1990s, can we be sure it won't happen again? ..
- Dickenson D. Commodification of human tissue: implications for feminist and development ethics. Dev World Bioeth. 2002;2:55-63 pubmedOne effect of late capitalism--the commodification of practically everything--is to knock down the Chinese walls between the natural and productive realms, to use a Marxist framework...
- Gostin L. The Model State Emergency Health Powers Act: public health and civil liberties in a time of terrorism. Health Matrix Clevel. 2003;13:3-32 pubmed
- Potter V, Potter L. Global bioethics: converting sustainable development to global survival. Med Glob Surviv. 1995;2:185-91 pubmed..The expanding dominant, but irresponsible, world culture is not an acceptable type of development because it cannot survive in the long term. ..
- Kapczynski A. Order Without Intellectual Property Law: Open Science in Influenza. Cornell Law Rev. 2017;102:1539-648 pubmed..Recognizing this can help us better ground this new field, and better study and support forms of knowledge production that deserve our attention, and that sometimes sustain our very lives...
- Kohrt B, Hruschka D, Kohrt H, Panebianco N, Tsagaankhuu G. Distribution of distress in post-socialist Mongolia: a cultural epidemiology of yadargaa. Soc Sci Med. 2004;58:471-85 pubmed..We examine the distribution of yadargaa and its association to socioeconomic changes under capitalism. Ethnographic interviews concerning yadargaa were conducted with health professionals, yadargaa patients, and ..
- Estrada J. [Competency-based training and work world: from grading to employability]. Rev Salud Publica (Bogota). 2012;14 Suppl 1:98-111 pubmed..In the last decades, the State has been unable to solve the periodic crisis that afflicts late capitalism. Because of this, the State moves away from its economic mission, promotes marketing mechanisms and, in the ..
- Maljers J. [Market forces inevitable in health care]. Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd. 2006;150:1014 pubmed..Establishing the framework is a particular political responsibility. Without the framework, health care will fall prey to political opportunists and lobbyists for pressure groups. ..
- Mason P, Degeling C. Beyond Biomedicine: Relationships and Care in Tuberculosis Prevention. J Bioeth Inq. 2016;13:31-4 pubmed publisher..As the World Health Organization moves towards the goal of eliminating TB globally by 2050, attending to the needs of TB patients serves global interests to lower disease burden and to develop better integrated communities worldwide. ..
- MenÃ©ndez E. [Is disease merely illness?: Biomedicine, "parallel" forms of care and power]. Salud Colect. 2015;11:301-30 pubmed publisher..Lastly, the impact and role that the advance of these conceptualizations and health programs might have had in the disengagement experienced over the last nearly ten years in the ethnic movements of Latin America is considered. ..
- Fuchs C, Bichler R, Raffl C. Cyberethics and co-operation in the information society. Sci Eng Ethics. 2009;15:447-66 pubmed publisher..The evolution of modern society has resulted in a shift from industrial society towards informational capitalism. This transformation is a multidimensional shift that affects all aspects of society...
- Siqueira Batista R, Gomes A, Albuquerque V, Cavalcanti F, Cotta R. [Education and competences for the Brazilian Unified Health System (SUS): is it possible to find alternatives to the logic of late capitalism?]. Cien Saude Colet. 2013;18:159-70 pubmed..System (SUS), using attempts to analyze and propose an alternative to the system entrenched in the logic of late capitalism as a theoretical benchmark...
- Epstein M. How will the economic downturn affect academic bioethics?. Bioethics. 2010;24:226-33 pubmed publisher..Among the various options, however, the one of going back to 'normal' seems to be the least likely. The other options suggest that the future of academic bioethics, as we have known it, is bleak. ..
- Porter S. Capitalism, the state and health care in the age of austerity: a Marxist analysis. Nurs Philos. 2013;14:5-16 pubmed publisher..of the current crisis, it examines empirically the effects of the crisis, and of the current trajectory of capitalism in general, upon the funding and organization of the UK and US healthcare systems...
- Labonte R. Toward a post-Charter health promotion. Health Promot Int. 2011;26 Suppl 2:ii183-6 pubmed publisher..Global capitalism has become increasingly predatory and crisis ridden, a result of unregulated and irresponsible greed of ..
- Támez González S, Pérez Domínguez J. [Risk Society and inequalities in the health of workers]. Rev Salud Publica (Bogota). 2012;14 Suppl 1:43-55 pubmed
- Zigmond J. Investors for LTACs. Regulatory concerns could be causing C-suite shifts. Mod Healthc. 2007;37:14-5 pubmed
- Sox H. The ethical foundations of professionalism: a sociologic history. Chest. 2007;131:1532-40 pubmed..The craft guilds flourished until their monopoly powers began to hinder the forces of capitalism, which influenced the state to limit the powers of the guild...
- Ivanova L, Dimitrov P, Ovcharova D, Dellava J, Hoffman D. Economic transition and household food consumption: a study of Bulgaria from 1985 to 2002. Econ Hum Biol. 2006;4:383-97 pubmed..The fact that part of this decline may be attributed to continued economic challenges suggests that future transitions in the diet may be expected as economic development proceeds. ..
- Dant T. Material civilization: things and society. Br J Sociol. 2006;57:289-308 pubmed..A theory of 'material civilization' is the first step in establishing a sociology of objects. ..
- Fontaine P. The intellectuals and capitalism. Br J Sociol. 2006;57:189-94 pubmed
- Boncz I, Sebestyen A. Economy and mortality in Eastern and Western Europe between 1945 and 1990: the largest medical trial of history. Int J Epidemiol. 2006;35:796-7; author reply 797-9 pubmed
- Givel M. Neoliberal and public health effects of failing to adopt OSHA's national secondhand tobacco smoke rule. Int J Health Serv. 2006;36:137-55 pubmed
- Elliott C. Adventure! Comedy! Tragedy! Robots! How bioethicists learned to stop worrying and embrace their inner cyborgs. J Bioeth Inq. 2005;2:18-23 pubmed
- Brook Y, Lockitch K. Free the market. Government interference hampers healthcare reform. Mod Healthc. 2007;37:34 pubmed
- Umbdenstock R. The open organization. Interview by Mary Grayson. Hosp Health Netw. 2004;78:36-8, 40, 42-4 pubmed..And sharing that data and other information with the public will strengthen hospitals' relationships with their communities, says the CEO and president of Providence Services, Spokane, Wash. ..
- Bell C. Legal interference. When it comes to specialty hospitals, let the market decide. Mod Healthc. 2004;34:20 pubmed
- Handy C. What's a business for?. Harv Bus Rev. 2002;80:49-55, 132 pubmed..of the recent corporate scandals, it's time to reconsider the assumptions underlying American-style stock-market capitalism. That heady doctrine--in which the market is king, success is measured in terms of shareholder value, and ..
- Johansson M, Partanen T. Role of trade unions in workplace health promotion. Int J Health Serv. 2002;32:179-93 pubmed..Health promoters and related professionals are encouraged to support trade unions in their efforts to promote health for workers and other less privileged groups. ..
- Wroblewska W. Women's health status in Poland in the transition to a market economy. Soc Sci Med. 2002;54:707-26 pubmed..Our survey also supports the thesis that loneliness in old age, defined on the basis of living in a one-person household, may be negatively correlated with health status. ..
- Herzlinger R. Health care should be more 'transparent'. Manag Care. 2002;11:27, 32 pubmed
- Dew K. Accident insurance, sickness, and science: New Zealand's no-fault system. Int J Health Serv. 2002;32:163-78 pubmed..And science can be co-opted and used to support business and state interests against workers; this ideological support is increasingly hidden behind the development of "objective" systems of assessing compensation claims. ..
- Estes C, Phillipson C. The globalization of capital, the welfare state, and old age policy. Int J Health Serv. 2002;32:279-97 pubmed..The article concludes with an assessment of the changes to citizenship that accompany globalization and the implications for political organization among older people themselves. ..
- Chan C. Culture, state and varieties of capitalism: a comparative study of life insurance markets in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Br J Sociol. 2012;63:97-122 pubmed publisher..Specifically, the presence of competitive domestic players alongside transnational corporations is more likely to produce varieties of capitalism.
- Starr P. Précis of Paul Starr's The Social Transformation of American Medicine. 1982. J Health Polit Policy Law. 2004;29:575-620 pubmed