united states health resources and services administration
Summary: A component of the PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICE that provides leadership related to the delivery of health services and the requirements for and distribution of health resources, including manpower training.
- Brownell J, Xierali I, Herrera A, Calvo A. Geographic proximity of HRSA, VA, and DOD clinics: opportunities for interagency collaboration to improve quality. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2012;23:125-35 pubmed publisher..This demonstrated geographic proximity of health care sites may indicate prime opportunities for collaboration between HRSA, VA, and MHS systems to improve quality of care for the military, veterans, and their families. ..
- Hodge J, Mount J, Reed J. Scope of practice for public health professionals and volunteers. J Law Med Ethics. 2005;33:53-4 pubmed
- Hogan A, Franzini L, Boex J. Estimating the cost of primary care training in ambulatory settings. Health Econ. 2000;9:715-26 pubmed..e. the costs of teaching the net of infrastructural effects. ..
- Ross L. Quality improvement in health care: opportunities and responsibilities for pharmacists. Ann Pharmacother. 2013;47:1206-9 pubmed publisher..Pharmacists, both individually and collectively, must actively engage in quality improvement and patient safety programs that elevate care and support the evidence base for clinical pharmacy services. ..
- Minkler M, Thompson M, Bell J, Rose K. Contributions of community involvement to organizational-level empowerment: the federal Healthy Start experience. Health Educ Behav. 2001;28:783-807 pubmed..The article concludes with implications of the study findings for practice both within Healthy Start and in the context of other community-based health initiatives. ..
- Brown R, Belton A, Martin J, Simmons D, Taylor G, Willard E. Evolution of quality at the Organ Center of the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network/United Network for Organ Sharing. Prog Transplant. 2009;19:221-6 pubmed..As stewards for the gift of life and leaders in organ allocation, the Organ Center uses continuous quality improvement to achieve the goal of increasing the efficiency of equitable organ allocation. ..
- Beck E, Wingard D, Zuniga M, Heifetz R, Gilbreath S. Addressing the health needs of the underserved: a national faculty development program. Acad Med. 2008;83:1094-102 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a theme issue of Academic Medicine on the Title VII health professions training programs. ..
- Sohn W, Ismail A, Kolker J. Knowledge of oral cancer and screening practices of primary care providers at Federally Qualified Health Centers. J Public Health Dent. 2005;65:160-5 pubmed..To involve PCPs in screening for oral cancer, oral health programs should focus on providing up-to-date education, setting up a referral system, and providing proper reimbursement. ..
- Evans E. Funding your EMR: how to get the money you need. J Med Pract Manage. 2009;24:216-8 pubmed..In fact, funding the EMR is the number one reason most practices delay the decision to move forward with this type of technology in the office. ..
- Woltring C, Novick L. Public health workforce: infrastructure's keystone. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2003;9:438-9 pubmed
- Robillard A, Gallito Zaparaniuk P, Arriola K, Kennedy S, Hammett T, Braithwaite R. Partners and processes in HIV services for inmates and ex-offenders. Facilitating collaboration and service delivery. Eval Rev. 2003;27:535-62 pubmed..Examining the barriers (and identifying ways to resolve them) is important in developing and maintaining successful programs that ultimately benefit HIV-infected inmates and the communities to which they return. ..
- Hagan M, McClean D, Falcone C, Arrington J, Matthews D, Summe C. Attaining specific donor management goals increases number of organs transplanted per donor: a quality improvement project. Prog Transplant. 2009;19:227-31 pubmed
- Cruz A, Stelmach R, Ponte E. Asthma prevalence and severity in low-resource communities. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017;17:188-193 pubmed publisher..Proper diagnosis and treatment with controller medications for asthma is feasible and cost-effective in low-resource settings. ..
- Becker C. High-tech treatment. Federal grant allows HIV/AIDS patients to receive treatment through telemedicine. Mod Healthc. 2002;32:18-9 pubmed
- Lefever K, Atchison K, Mito R, Lin S. Curriculum emphasis and resident preparation in postgraduate general dentistry programs. J Dent Educ. 2002;66:747-56 pubmed..Logistic regression showed that programs with higher resident GPA and National Board Part I scores had less difficulty filling resident positions. ..
- Fox C. Funding and the mechanisms of change. Manag Care. 2005;14:8-9; discussion 13-20 pubmed
- Politzer R. The United States health centers initiative: a state by state status report. J Public Health Policy. 2005;26:418-29 pubmed..These early results suggest that collectively the States would meet the target. Several States would require major efforts to move toward the national average and they were examined more closely. ..
- Matthews T, DeLorenzo L, Matosky M, Young S, Huang A, Feit B, et al. National performance measures within a changing environment: how a federal agency developed and improved the measurement for HIV care and treatment. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2012;23:225-35 pubmed publisher..The HRSA/HAB defined a solid foundation for the measures development process, which has been refined over time, facilitating the timely release and use of performance measures by the HIV service provider community. ..
- Martin E, Pollack H, Paltiel A. Fact, fiction, and fairness: resource allocation under the Ryan White CARE Act. Health Aff (Millwood). 2006;25:1103-12 pubmed..Other state characteristics, such as poverty rates or racial/ethnic diversity, play a much smaller role. ..
- Zigmond J. HRSA awards $93 million. Miss. clinics will use funds to strengthen infrastructure. Mod Healthc. 2007;37:18 pubmed
- Rajabiun S, Cabral H, Tobias C, Relf M. Program design and evaluation strategies for the Special Projects of National Significance Outreach Initiative. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2007;21 Suppl 1:S9-19 pubmed..This paper describes the study design and methods used to implement and evaluate this large multisite initiative. Strengths and limitations of the study design are discussed. ..
- Baker E, Fox C, Hassmiller S, Sabol B, Stokes C. Creating the Management Academy for Public Health: relationships are primary. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2006;12:426-9 pubmed..The success and sustainability of the Academy derive directly from these critical success factors, serving as an exemplary model for future collaborative endeavors. ..
- Braun B, Owens L, Bartman B, Berkeley L, Wineman N, Daly C. Quality-related activities in federally supported health centers: do they differ by organizational characteristics?. J Ambul Care Manage. 2008;31:303-18 pubmed publisher..The findings can be explained in part by Health Resources and Services Administration/Bureau of Primary Health Care requirements and implementation of their Accreditation Initiative. ..
- Nooney J, Lacey L. Validating HRSA's nurse supply and demand models: a state-level perspective. Nurs Econ. 2007;25:270-8 pubmed..The authors conclude that the models work well for state-level forecasting but that users should carefully assess the default data provided with the model against independent data sources specific to their states. ..
- Gassert C, Salmon M. Setting a national informatics agenda for nursing education and practice to prepare nurses to develop and use information technology. Stud Health Technol Inform. 1998;52 Pt 2:748-51 pubmed..Their recommendations were reviewed by NACNEP resulting in a national informatics agenda for nursing education and practice. ..
- Nerenz D, Bonham V, Green Weir R, Joseph C, Gunter M. Eliminating racial/ethnic disparities in health care: can health plans generate reports?. Health Aff (Millwood). 2002;21:259-63 pubmed
- Arriola K, Kennedy S, Coltharp J, Braithwaite R, Hammett T, Tinsley M. Development and implementation of the cross-site evaluation of the CDC/HRSA corrections demonstration project. AIDS Educ Prev. 2002;14:107-18 pubmed..This paper describes the process of developing a cross-site evaluation, the implementation of this evaluation, and lessons learned by the EPSC throughout this process. ..
- Atchison K, Bachand W, Buchanan C, Lefever K, Lin S, Engelhardt R. Military and VA general dentistry training: a national resource. J Dent Educ. 2002;66:739-46 pubmed
- Rapposelli K, Kennedy M, Miles J, Tinsley M, Rauch K, Austin L, et al. HIV/AIDS in correctional settings: a salient priority for the CDC and HRSA. AIDS Educ Prev. 2002;14:103-13 pubmed..They have also collaborated to address the HIV/AIDS needs of incarcerated populations and have initiated processes for expanding collaboration on these issues to include other federal agencies and prevention partners. ..
- Young D. Virginia HRSA project underway. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2003;60:1934, 1938 pubmed
- Cherry B, Marshall Gray P, Laurence A, Green A, Valadez A, Scott Tilley D, et al. Geriatric Training Academy: innovative education for certified nurse aides and charge nurses. J Gerontol Nurs. 2007;33:37-44 pubmed..This article describes how the Academy is addressing the need for the recruitment, education, and retention of long-term care workers for the expanding geriatric population in West Texas. ..
- Reville P, Zhao C, Perez T, Nowacki A, Phillips D, Bowen G, et al. A student leadership model for promoting educational programs in organ donation and transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2013;45:1287-94 pubmed publisher..presentation entitled "Share your life, share your decision" prepared by the United States Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), lectures by invited speakers and an educational assessment (pre- and post-..
- Blum N. The Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics Research Network: another step in the development of the field. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2012;33:78-83 pubmed publisher..This article describes the need for a developmental-behavioral pediatrics research network, the development of the infrastructure for DBPNet, and the mechanisms for investigators to collaborate with the Network. ..
- D ONOFRIO G, Goldstein A, Denisco R, Hingson R, Heffelfinger J, Post L. Emergency medicine public health research funded by federal agencies: progress and priorities. Acad Emerg Med. 2009;16:1065-71 pubmed publisher..Further information is also provided to discuss those agencies and centers not represented. ..
- Leigh J. Dentistry. New HRSA program will give options to rural HIV-infected. HIV Clin. 2002;14:8-9 pubmed
- Goyette D, Disco M, Leal S, Schwed D. The pharmacist as a primary care provider for the medically underserved. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2003;43:S52-3 pubmed..Becoming a 340B-contracted pharmacy can help pharmacists build prescription volume, expand their clinical services, and better serve the health care needs of their communities. ..
- Shafer T, Wagner D, Chessare J, Schall M, McBride V, Zampiello F, et al. US organ donation breakthrough collaborative increases organ donation. Crit Care Nurs Q. 2008;31:190-210 pubmed publisher..Given the stable nature of the historical increases over many years, the HRSA estimates that more than 4000 annual additional transplants have occurred in association and apparently as a result of these increases in organ donation. ..
- Grover J. Community health center dental clinics: facts vs. fiction. J Mich Dent Assoc. 2005;87:40, 42, 44 pubmed
- DeWitt T, Cheng T. The role of Title VII funding in academic general pediatrics fellowships and leadership. Acad Med. 2008;83:1103-6 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a theme issue of Academic Medicine on the Title VII health professions training programs. ..
- Atchison K, Mito R, Lefever K, McCauley K, Lin S, Engelhardt R, et al. Analysis of federal support for postgraduate general dentistry. J Dent Educ. 2003;67:328-36 pubmed..However, attention must be paid to developing programs among states with a lack of infrastructure in dental education and training. ..
- Moser S, Walling A. HRSA goes triad: an update on the training grant review process. Fam Med. 2002;34:694-5 pubmed
- Young D. HRSA's failures, drug overcharges lead to overhaul of 340B agency. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2004;61:1742, 1745, 1750 pubmed
- Livingood W, Auld M. The credentialing of a population-based health profession: lessons learned from health education certification. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2001;7:38-45 pubmed
- Bradford J, Coleman S, Cunningham W. HIV System Navigation: an emerging model to improve HIV care access. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2007;21 Suppl 1:S49-58 pubmed..Based on study results, we propose that an adapted navigation approach referred to as "HIV System Navigation" has promise for improving access to HIV care and warrants further development. ..
- Xirasagar S. Transformational, transactional among physician and laissez-faire leadership among physician executives. J Health Organ Manag. 2008;22:599-613 pubmed..This study represents an important step towards establishing the empirical evidence for the full range of leadership constructs among physician leaders. ..
- Lipkin M, Zabar S, Kalet A, Laponis R, Kachur E, Anderson M, et al. Two decades of Title VII support of a primary care residency: process and outcomes. Acad Med. 2008;83:1064-70 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a theme issue of Academic Medicine on the Title VII health professions training programs. ..
- Newton W, Arndt J. Learning from history: the legacy of Title VII in academic family medicine. Acad Med. 2008;83:1030-8 pubmed publisher
- Young D. Safety nets still overpaying for drugs. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2006;63:1584, 1586 pubmed
- Crump R, Gaston M, Fergerson G. HRSA's Models That Work Program: implications for improving access to primary health care. Public Health Rep. 1999;114:218-24 pubmed..Winners of the competition are showcased nationally and hired to provide training to other communities, to document and publish their strategies, and to provide onsite technical assistance on request. ..
- Howard R, Cornell D, Koval C. When the donor says yes and the family says no. Prog Transplant. 2008;18:13-6 pubmed..This article describes 4 cases where the donor had a signed organ donor card but the family initially objected to donation. Ultimately organs were recovered from 3 of these donors. ..
- Wotman S, Pyle M, Duffy R. Residency training in dental public health: assessment of status, needs, and issues. J Public Health Dent. 1998;58 Suppl 1:68-74 pubmed