Summary: The level of governmental organization and function at the national or country-wide level.
- Arkin E. U.S. government's "anti-prostitution" pledge deemed unconstitutional. HIV AIDS Policy Law Rev. 2011;15:56 pubmed
- Ferguson T, Tulloch Reid M, Cunningham Myrie C, Davidson Sadler T, Copeland S, Lewis Fuller E, et al. Chronic disease in the Caribbean: strategies to respond to the public health challenge in the region. What can we learn from Jamaica's experience?. West Indian Med J. 2011;60:397-411 pubmed..We therefore present recommended strategies which we believe will enhance the current CNCD response and thus reduce, or at least stem, the current epidemic of CNCDs. ..
- Meghani Z. A robust, particularist ethical assessment of medical tourism. Dev World Bioeth. 2011;11:16-29 pubmed publisher..This essay offers a robust, particularist ethical assessment of the practice of citizens of richer nations traveling to poorer countries for healthcare. ..
- Chollet D. How temporary insurance for high-risk individuals may play out under health reform. Health Aff (Millwood). 2010;29:1164-7 pubmed publisher..However, restricted eligibility for the federal program suggests that state high-risk pools, in particular, will continue to be critical yet problematic sources of coverage for the next few years. ..
- Schweitzer E. Reconciliation of the cloud computing model with US federal electronic health record regulations. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2012;19:161-5 pubmed publisher..EHRs built with the cloud computing model can achieve acceptable privacy and security through business associate contracts with cloud providers that specify compliance requirements, performance metrics and liability sharing. ..
- Manuell M, Cukor J. Mother Nature versus human nature: public compliance with evacuation and quarantine. Disasters. 2011;35:417-42 pubmed publisher..Accurate identification and understanding of barriers to compliance allows for improved planning to protect the public more effectively. ..
- George A. 'By papers and pens, you can only do so much': views about accountability and human resource management from Indian government health administrators and workers. Int J Health Plann Manage. 2009;24:205-24 pubmed publisher..These various dimensions of accountability need to be addressed if it is to be used more equitably and effectively. ..
- Turinawe E. 'Those were taken away and given money': power and reward expectations' influence in the selection of village health teams in rural Uganda. Rural Remote Health. 2016;16:3856 pubmed..Community involvement in the selection of VHTs took a form that, instead of empowering the local community, reinforced the responsibility of those in power and thus maintained the asymmetrical status quo. ..
- Villela W, Barber Madden R. The gender approach in community AIDS projects in Mozambique: agreement and disagreement between government and civil society. Cad Saude Publica. 2009;25:694-9 pubmed
- Bush T, Zbikowski S, Mahoney L, Deprey M, Mowery P, Magnusson B. The 2009 US federal cigarette tax increase and quitline utilization in 16 states. J Environ Public Health. 2012;2012:314740 pubmed publisher..If revenue obtained from increased taxation on cigarettes is put into cessation treatment, then it is likely future excise taxes would have an even greater effect. ..
- Moy E, Freeman W. Federal investments to eliminate racial/ethnic health-care disparities. Public Health Rep. 2014;129 Suppl 2:62-70 pubmed..Federal policy makers should continue interest in workforce diversity to optimize the health of all Americans. ..
- Al Shaafi M, Maawadh A, Al Qahtani M. Evaluation of light intensity output of QTH and LED curing devices in various governmental health institutions. Oper Dent. 2011;36:356-61 pubmed publisher..5% and 15.6%, respectively. Overall, the regular assessment of light curing devices using light meters is recommended to assure adequate output for clinical use. ..
- Youtie J, Corley E. Federally sponsored multidisciplinary research centers: Learning, evaluation, and vicious circles. Eval Program Plann. 2011;34:13-20 pubmed publisher..We conclude with suggestions for how evaluators may help centers ease the cost of learning and reduce the likelihood of a vicious circle. ..
- McGee C, Chan Hilton A. Analysis of federal and state policies and environmental issues for bioethanol production facilities. Environ Sci Technol. 2011;45:1780-91 pubmed publisher..Additional changes in policy and breakthroughs in technology and logistics will be required to address these hurdles to increases in ethanol production in the U.S. in the next decade. ..
- Oppenheimer G, Benrubi I. McGovern's Senate Select Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs versus the meat industry on the diet-heart question (1976-1977). Am J Public Health. 2014;104:59-69 pubmed publisher..Ultimately, it was lack of scientific consensus on these factors, not simply political acquiescence, that allowed special interests to secure changes in the guidelines. ..
- Eisinga R, te Grotenhuis M, Pelzer B. Weather conditions and voter turnout in Dutch national parliament elections, 1971-2010. Int J Biometeorol. 2012;56:783-6 pubmed publisher..One hundred percent sunshine corresponds to a one and a half percent greater voter turnout compared to zero sunshine. ..
- Shankardass K, Solar O, Murphy K, Greaves L, O CAMPO P. A scoping review of intersectoral action for health equity involving governments. Int J Public Health. 2012;57:25-33 pubmed publisher..Richer sources of information such as interviews may facilitate a more comprehensive understanding from the perspective of multiple sectors involved. ..
- Gissler M, Fronteira I, Jahn A, Karro H, Moreau C, Oliveira Da Silva M, et al. Terminations of pregnancy in the European Union. BJOG. 2012;119:324-32 pubmed publisher..Sexual education and provision of access to reliable and affordable contraception are essential to achieve low rates of termination of pregnancy. ..
- ..The elements of a successful vaccine injury claim are described in the context of a claim showing the seasonal influenza vaccination was the cause of Guillain-Barré syndrome. ..
- Minghetti P, Cilurzo F, Franzé S, Musazzi U, Itri M. Low molecular weight heparins copies: are they considered to be generics or biosimilars?. Drug Discov Today. 2013;18:305-11 pubmed publisher..Because LMWHs show a high intrinsic variability and a complete characterization is not viable, a conservative approach is desirable. ..
- Weinkle J, Feinstein K, Kanel K. Analysis & commentary. Partnering private primary care practices with federally qualified health centers in the care of complex patients. Health Aff (Millwood). 2010;29:1211-3 pubmed publisher..Small practices could then concentrate on providing individualized medical care, while health centers would receive additional income to help cover operating expenses. ..
- Oberlander J. Long time coming: why health reform finally passed. Health Aff (Millwood). 2010;29:1112-6 pubmed publisher..The result is historic legislation that, given the constraints imposed by both the U.S. political and health systems, is probably as good as it gets. ..
- Toomey A, Menon U. Making the case: the impetus for federally mandating insurance companies to cover colorectal cancer screening. Soc Work Public Health. 2010;25:92-101 pubmed publisher..Reasons to support this bill and rebuttals to arguments made against H.R. 1330 are discussed. ..
- Franco C, Bouri N. Environmental decontamination following a large-scale bioterrorism attack: federal progress and remaining gaps. Biosecur Bioterror. 2010;8:107-17 pubmed publisher..This article identifies gaps in decontamination policy and technical practice at the federal level and provides practical recommendations that will better enable the U.S. to undertake a biological decontamination response. ..
- Hynes R. US policies on human embryonic stem cells. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2008;9:993-7 pubmed publisher..These guidelines are functioning well, have influenced developing state regulations and, one hopes, will affect any future federal regulation. ..
- Anekwe T. Profits and plagiarism: the case of medical ghostwriting. Bioethics. 2010;24:267-72 pubmed publisher..often involves plagiarism and, in those cases, can be treated as an act of research misconduct by both the federal government and research institutions...
- Huvane K, Hagland M, Raths D. November and beyond: CIOs have a large role to play in the development of healthcare IT policy. Healthc Inform. 2008;25:40-4, 46-8, 50-4 passim pubmed
- Pomey M, Morgan S, Church J, Forest P, Lavis J, McIntosh T, et al. Do provincial drug benefit initiatives create an effective policy lab? The evidence from Canada. J Health Polit Policy Law. 2010;35:705-42 pubmed publisher..policymaking process in five Canadian provinces between 1992 and 2004 with a view to (1) determining the federal government's role in the area of prescription drugs; (2) describing the policymaking process; (3) identifying factors ..
- Krueger A, Malecková J. Attitudes and action: public opinion and the occurrence of international terrorism. Science. 2009;325:1534-6 pubmed publisher..We found a greater incidence of international terrorism when people of one country disapprove of the leadership of another country. ..
- Scott L, Haar C, Schnellmann J, Byrd C. Fostering federal and local disaster preparedness partnerships. J S C Med Assoc. 2012;108:69-75 pubmed..We hope the volunteers' experiences, goals, mission and accomplishments documented here can be used as a potential model that may enhance CBDP activities around the nation. ..
- Edelstein B. Federal supports for state oral health plans. J Public Health Dent. 2012;72 Suppl 1:S54-9 pubmed publisher..The paper concludes with consideration of the steps needed for states to promote their oral health plans by leveraging the full capacity of federal legislation. ..
- Guterman S, Zezza M, Schoen C. Paying for value: replacing Medicare's sustainable growth rate formula with incentives to improve care. Issue Brief (Commonw Fund). 2013;16:1-10 pubmed..these policies could more than offset the cost of repealing the SGR formula, saving $788 billion for the federal government over 10 years and $1.3 trillion nationwide...
- Soh K, Soh K, Ahmad Z, Abdul Raman R, Japar S. Perception of intensive care unit stressors in Malaysian Federal Territory hospitals. Contemp Nurse. 2008;31:86-93 pubmed..The findings from this study provided a set of baseline information to the health care providers, particularly ICU nurses in Malaysia, with which to provide better care for the patients in ICU. ..
- Williams M, Jean M, Chen B, Molinari N, LeBlanc T. Primary Care Emergency Preparedness Network, New York City, 2015: Comparison of Member and Nonmember Sites. Am J Public Health. 2017;107:S193-S198 pubmed publisher..Public Health Implications. Primary Care Emergency Preparedness Network membership is associated with improved public health emergency preparedness among primary care sites. ..
- Vieira F. Ministry of Health's spending on drugs: program trends from 2002 to 2007. Rev Saude Publica. 2009;43:674-81 pubmed
- McCann S. Political conservatism, authoritarianism, and societal threat: voting for Republican representatives in U.S. Congressional elections from 1946 to 1992. J Psychol. 2009;143:341-58 pubmed publisher..Also, the author discusses potential alternative explanations on the basis of system justification, need for closure, and terror-management theories. ..
- Pertschuk M, Pomeranz J, Aoki J, Larkin M, Paloma M. Assessing the impact of federal and state preemption in public health: a framework for decision makers. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2013;19:213-9 pubmed publisher..We review the consequences of preemption, including its potential impact on grassroots public health movements, and propose practical questions and considerations to assist decision makers in responding to preemptive proposals. ..
- Maas M, Specht J, Buckwalter K, Gittler J, Bechen K. Nursing home staffing and training recommendations for promoting older adults' quality of care and life: Part 2. Increasing nurse staffing and training. Res Gerontol Nurs. 2008;1:134-52 pubmed publisher..Finally, to address the shortage of RNs with gerontological nursing and leadership training in nursing homes, a program to prepare RNs as geriatric nursing long-term care specialists is proposed. ..
- Coffield J, Metos J, Utz R, Waitzman N. A multivariate analysis of federally mandated school wellness policies on adolescent obesity. J Adolesc Health. 2011;49:363-70 pubmed publisher..Further research should address specific policy components that are most effective in various populations, as well as the level of commitment that is required at both the school- and district-levels for sustained effect. ..