Genomes and Genes
Summary: The study of the patterns of ridges of the skin of the fingers, palms, toes, and soles.
- Banik S, Pal P, Mukherjee D. Finger dermatoglyphic variations in Rengma Nagas of Nagaland India. Coll Antropol. 2009;33:31-5 pubmed..However, in cases of the frequencies of finger dermatoglyphic pattern types, Pattern Intensity Index in fingers, TFRC and AFRC no significant sex differences were observed. ..
- Linhares R, Matta M, Lima J, Dantas P, Costa M, Fernandes Filho J. [Effects of sexual maturation on body composition, dermatoglyphics, somatotype and basic physical qualities of adolescents]. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol. 2009;53:47-54 pubmedDescribe the characteristics of body composition, somatotype, basic physical qualities, dermatoglyphics and bone age regarding sexual maturation stages of boys...
- Ulery B, Hicklin R, Buscaglia J, Roberts M. Accuracy and reliability of forensic latent fingerprint decisions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:7733-8 pubmed publisher..Examiners frequently differed on whether fingerprints were suitable for reaching a conclusion. ..
- Karmakar B, Yakovenko K, Kobyliansky E. Quantitative digital and palmar dermatoglyphics: sexual dimorphism in the Chuvashian population of Russia. Homo. 2008;59:317-28 pubmed publisherWith the aim of determining sex dimorphism among the Chuvashian population of Russia, digital and palmar dermatoglyphics of 547 individuals (293 males, 254 females) were analyzed...
- Bukelo M, Kanchan T, Rau A, Unnikrishnan B, Bukelo M, Krishna V. Palmar dermatoglyphics in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia--a preliminary investigation. J Forensic Leg Med. 2011;18:115-8 pubmed publisher..between acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) and palmar dermatoglyphic characteristics to assess the value of dermatoglyphics as a screening tool to detect leukemia in high risk groups...
- Sen J, Kanchan T, Mondal N. A comparison of palmar dermatoglyphics in two ethnic Indian populations of north Bengal, India. J Forensic Sci. 2011;56:109-17 pubmed publisher..The present investigation further highlights the racial affinity, sex, and bilateral differences among Rajbanshi individuals using dermatoglyphic palmar variables. ..
- Cvjeticanin M, Jajic Z, Jajić I. Dermatoglyphics of digitopalmar complex in forty male patients affected by rheumatoid arthritis--quantitative analysis. Reumatizam. 2009;56:25-9 pubmed..That means that they could used, and that is the aim of this study, as a diagnostic tool in rheumatic diseases. ..
- Scheibert J, Leurent S, Prevost A, Debrégeas G. The role of fingerprints in the coding of tactile information probed with a biomimetic sensor. Science. 2009;323:1503-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, fingerprints may perform spectral selection and amplification of tactile information that facilitate its processing by specific mechanoreceptors. ..
- Medland S, Loesch D, Mdzewski B, Zhu G, Montgomery G, Martin N. Linkage analysis of a model quantitative trait in humans: finger ridge count shows significant multivariate linkage to 5q14.1. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:1736-44 pubmed
- Fearon P, Lane A, Airie M, Scannell J, McGowan A, Byrne M, et al. Is reduced dermatoglyphic a-b ridge count a reliable marker of developmental impairment in schizophrenia?. Schizophr Res. 2001;50:151-7 pubmed..These findings support the concept that some cases of schizophrenia may be due to adverse intrauterine events. ..
- Jain A. Technology: biometric recognition. Nature. 2007;449:38-40 pubmed
- Nagaty K. Fingerprints classification using artificial neural networks: a combined structural and statistical approach. Neural Netw. 2001;14:1293-305 pubmed..In the four-class problem when we place arches and tented arches in the same class the classification accuracy was 99%. ..
- Kücken M. Models for fingerprint pattern formation. Forensic Sci Int. 2007;171:85-96 pubmed..Using this model we were able to explain the long-known observation that the pattern type is related to the geometry of the embryonal fingertip. ..
- Chakraborty D, Mazumdar P, Than M, Singh R. Dermatoglyphic analysis in Malay subjects with bipolar mood disorder. Med J Malaysia. 2001;56:223-6 pubmed..It may be pointed out that genetic factors have a large share in determining the variations in dermatoglyphics. It is however, suggested by evidence that bipolar mood disorder factors are determined more by genetic ..
- Jain A, Chen Y, Demirkus M. Pores and ridges: high-resolution fingerprint matching using level 3 features. IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell. 2007;29:15-27 pubmed..This significant performance gain is consistently observed across various quality fingerprint images. ..
- Mercanti L, Bezerra M, Fernandes Filho J, Struchiner C. [Dermatoglyphics and body composition in obstructive sleep apnea]. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2004;62:858-64 pubmed..The aim of this study is to describe the anthropometrics and dermatoglyphics features among OSAS carriers...
- Reilly J, Murphy P, Byrne M, Larkin C, Gill M, O Callaghan E, et al. Dermatoglyphic fluctuating asymmetry and atypical handedness in schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 2001;50:159-68 pubmed..Results from the present study support the conjecture of greater developmental instability in schizophrenia affecting neurodevelopmental processes, including those conferring manual dominance. ..
- Alessandrini F, Cecati M, Pesaresi M, Turchi C, Carle F, Tagliabracci A. Fingerprints as evidence for a genetic profile: morphological study on fingerprints and analysis of exogenous and individual factors affecting DNA typing. J Forensic Sci. 2003;48:586-92 pubmed..Spurious alleles from laboratory-based and secondary transfer contamination, stutters, and other artifacts described when analyzing low-copy-number DNA and capable of affecting correct profiles were observed. ..
- Reddy B, Demarchi D, Bharati S, Kumar V, Crawford M. Patterns of ethnic, linguistic, and geographic heterogeneity of palmar interdigital ridge counts in the Indian subcontinent. Hum Biol. 2004;76:211-28 pubmed..These findings can serve as baseline information for future studies on population variation in India, particularly studies based on molecular genetic markers, a trend that has already gained momentum. ..
- Kücken M, Newell A. Fingerprint formation. J Theor Biol. 2005;235:71-83 pubmed..The results are in close harmony with observations. Specifically, they are consistent with the well-known observation that the pattern type is related to the geometry of the fingertip surface when fingerprint patterns are formed. ..
- Schiffer B, Champod C. The potential (negative) influence of observational biases at the analysis stage of fingermark individualisation. Forensic Sci Int. 2007;167:116-20 pubmed..For test II no effect of the stimuli used to induce observational biases has been observed by all of the factors studied. ..
- Chintamani -, Khandelwal R, Mittal A, Saijanani S, Tuteja A, Bansal A, et al. Qualitative and quantitative dermatoglyphic traits in patients with breast cancer: a prospective clinical study. BMC Cancer. 2007;7:44 pubmed..Patterns of dermatoglyphics have been studied in various congenital disorders like Down's syndrome and Kleinfelter syndrome...
- Peeters B, Benninga M, Hennekam R. Childhood constipation; an overview of genetic studies and associated syndromes. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2011;25:73-88 pubmed publisher..We stress that syndromic causes of childhood constipation should be considered in the evaluation of a constipated child...
- Cadd S, Li B, Beveridge P, O Hare W, Campbell A, Islam M. A comparison of visible wavelength reflectance hyperspectral imaging and Acid Black 1 for the detection and identification of blood stained fingerprints. Sci Justice. 2016;56:247-55 pubmed publisher..A direct comparison of the effectiveness of HSI with chemical enhancement using Acid Black 1 on white tiles is also shown. ..
- Janus T, Borowiak K, Potocka Banaś B. [Biochemical skin sweat-sebum profile in individual identification]. Ann Acad Med Stetin. 2007;53 Suppl 2:175-7; discussion 177 pubmed..Presented procedure may be helpful in preliminary individual identification in case were there is no possibility to collect finger-print profiles from the surface (inappropriate surface structure, smear traces). ..
- Belcaro G, Cesarone M, Ledda A, Cornelli U, Dugall M, Di Renzo A, et al. Fingerprints and cardiovascular risk. The San Valentino fingerprint vascular screening project (SanVal/FP). Minerva Cardioangiol. 2008;56:21-7 pubmed..Future research must define simple, low cost screening methods for preselection of subjects at higher cardiovascular risk or for exclusion of low risk subjects. The evaluation of fingerprint pattern may be useful to define risk groups. ..
- Choi H, Park B, Eom J, Choi M, Yoon S. Achieving Antifingerprinting and Antibacterial Effects in Smart-Phone Panel Applications Using ZnO Thin Films without a Protective Layer. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2016;8:997-1003 pubmed publisher..coli and S. aureus bacteria. The ZnO films with a thickness of 30 nm showed predominant mechanical durability with strong antibacterial activity for smart-phone panel applications. ..
- Karev G. Finger dermatoglyphics and their asymmetry in Bulgarian right-, mixed- and left-handers. Anthropol Anz. 2008;66:281-93 pubmedSince Bulgarians have never been investigated concerning the relationship between handedness and dermatoglyphics, the present study was aimed to investigate the aforementioned relationship in a Bulgarian sample...
- Dror I, Rosenthal R. Meta-analytically quantifying the reliability and biasability of forensic experts. J Forensic Sci. 2008;53:900-3 pubmed publisher..These findings are based on fingerprint experts decision making, but because this domain is so well established, they apply equally well (if not more) to all other less established forensic domains. ..
- Watson P, Prance R, Beardsmore Rust S, Prance H. Imaging electrostatic fingerprints with implications for a forensic timeline. Forensic Sci Int. 2011;209:e41-5 pubmed publisher..The measurement technique described is non-destructive, may be repeated without degradation of the sample, and does not preclude the subsequent use of other techniques such as DNA analysis or conventional latent fingerprint development. ..
- Sutton R, Glazzard Z, Riley D, Buckley K. Preliminary analysis of the nature and processing of palm marks by a U.K. fingerprint bureau. J Forensic Sci. 2013;58:1615-20 pubmed publisher..The number of CSPI regions was significantly related to time for analysis, identification, and comparison. ..
- Sreedevi G, Srinivas B, Reddy T, Prasad C, Kumar B, Satish R. Heritability of thirty cephalometric parameters on monozygotic and dizygotic twins: twin study method. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2013;14:304-11 pubmed
- Gutiérrez Redomero E, Alonso Rodríguez C. Sexual and topological differences in palmprint and ridge density in the caucasian Spanish population. Forensic Sci Int. 2013;229:159.e1-10 pubmed publisher..The hypotheses that could explain the variability in ridge breadth are evaluated according to the obtained results. ..
- Yagnik G, Korte A, Lee Y. Multiplex mass spectrometry imaging for latent fingerprints. J Mass Spectrom. 2013;48:100-4 pubmed publisher..This work confirms the usefulness of multiplex MSI to explore chemical markers when the sample specimen is very limited. ..
- Bailey M, Bright N, Croxton R, Francese S, Ferguson L, Hinder S, et al. Chemical characterization of latent fingerprints by matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization, time-of-flight secondary ion mass spectrometry, mega electron volt secondary mass spectrometry, gas chromatography/mass spectrometry, X-ray photoelectron. Anal Chem. 2012;84:8514-23 pubmed publisher..We further comment on the sensitivity, selectivity, and practicability of each of the methods for use in future police casework or academic research. ..
- Cook T, Sutton R, Buckley K. The effect of image alterations on identification using palmar flexion creases. J Forensic Sci. 2013;58:1495-502 pubmed publisher..The work shows that identification using PFCs can improve palmprint identification through integration with existing systems, and through dedicated palmprint identification applications. ..
- Berdejo S, Rowe M, Bond J. Latent fingermark development on a range of porous substrates using ninhydrin analogs--a comparison with ninhydrin and 1,8-diazofluoren. J Forensic Sci. 2012;57:509-14 pubmed publisher..Lawsone produced fluorescent visible fingermarks only with white substrates, which were inferior to those produced with DFO. ..
- Langenburg G, Champod C, Wertheim P. Testing for potential contextual bias effects during the verification stage of the ACE-V methodology when conducting fingerprint comparisons. J Forensic Sci. 2009;54:571-82 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the novice participants were more influenced by the bias conditions and did tend to make incorrect judgments, especially when prompted towards an incorrect response by the bias prompt. ..
- Zhou J, Chen F, Gu J. A novel algorithm for detecting singular points from fingerprint images. IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell. 2009;31:1239-50 pubmed publisher..The proposed detection algorithm can also be used for more general 2D oriented patterns, such as fluid flow motion, and so forth. ..
- De Donno A, Zambetta G, Carlucci D, Santoro V, Introna F. [Of identification science and its evolution from the dawn to the time until ours]. Med Secoli. 2008;20:141-67 pubmed..Our study underlines that a few aspect of this science have been completely abandoned, some of them are used in the recent identification inquires, other represent a milestone in the development of this science. ..
- Schwarz L, Beisel M. [Latent fingerprint detection on porous surfaces by DFO--a practice-orientated approach]. Arch Kriminol. 2010;225:81-9 pubmed..Moreover, the working solution is prepared from a stock solution that has a stability of more than six months, so that the required quantity is always available. ..
- Smith L, Bond J. The relationship between deprivation and forensic opportunities with stolen vehicles. J Forensic Sci. 2009;54:1077-80 pubmed publisher..These findings are considered in relation to previous studies, which have advocated the prioritization of resources at crime scenes most likely to yield forensic material. ..
- Polovina Proloscić T, Milicić J, Cvjeticanin M, Polovina A, Polovina S. Comparison of digito-palmar dermatoglyphic traits in children with cerebral palsy and their close family members. Coll Antropol. 2009;33:925-31 pubmed..3) as well as between mothers and healthy control females. Study results support the hypothesis on the possible role of genetic predisposition in the occurrence of central nervous system lesion, with a more pronounced paternal impact. ..
- Huckenbeck W, Thiel W, Krause D, Lessig R, Szibor R. Thoughts for the organisation of an early phase response to preserve victim identification information after mass disasters. A contribution to: ISFG: Recommendations regarding the role of forensic genetics for disaster victim identification (DVI by M. Forensic Sci Int. 2008;177:e39-42 pubmed publisher
- Negasheva M. [Dermatoglyphic aspects of the human morphological constitution]. Morfologiia. 2007;132:88-93 pubmed
- Fayrouz I, Farida N, Irshad A. Relation between fingerprints and different blood groups. J Forensic Leg Med. 2012;19:18-21 pubmed publisher..3% respectively) then whorls (33.4% and 30.6% respectively), while in blood group B whorls were predominance in both Rh+ve and Rh-ve cases. In all blood groups there were high frequency of loops in thumb, index and little fingers. ..
- Tornjova Randelova S, Borissova P, Paskova Topalova D. Quantitative characterization of finger and palm dermatoglyphics in Bulgarians. Anthropol Anz. 2008;66:295-315 pubmed..At the same time they could serve as a norm for clinical and medico-biological investigations with theoretical and scientific applied purposes. ..
- Burukoglu D, Ortug G. Relationship between palm flexion lines and craniofacial profile structure in adults. J Craniofac Surg. 2010;21:252-7 pubmed publisher..No precise relationship was found in the same individuals between the craniofacial morphologic structure and palm flexion line types. ..