Summary: The killing of infants at birth or soon after.
- Pontius A. Kindled non-convulsive behavioral seizures, analogous to primates. A 24th case of 'limbic psychotic trigger reaction': bizarre parental infanticide--might nonvoluntariness during LPTR become objectified by primate model?. Neurocase. 2008;14:29-43 pubmed publisher..implicates an atavistic regression to a limbic 'paleo-consciousness', exemplified by a 24th patient (parental infanticide), presented herein...
- Sturiale C, Massimi L, Mangiola A, Pompucci A, Roselli R, Anile C. Sewing needles in the brain: infanticide attempts or accidental insertion?. Neurosurgery. 2010;67:E1170-9; discussion E1179 pubmed publisher..In this article, all the pertinent literature is reviewed and the most important clinical aspects are discussed, along with a historical assessment of the problem. ..
- Denham A, Adongo P, Freydberg N, Hodgson A. Chasing spirits: Clarifying the spirit child phenomenon and infanticide in Northern Ghana. Soc Sci Med. 2010;71:608-615 pubmed publisher..of Ghana, researchers and health interventionists describe a phenomenon wherein some children are subject to infanticide because they are regarded as spirit children sent "from the bush" to cause misfortune and destroy the family...
- George S. Sex ratio in India. Lancet. 2006;367:1725; author reply 1727 pubmed
- Grover A, Vijayvergiya R. Sex ratio in India. Lancet. 2006;367:1726; author reply 1727 pubmed
- Overpeck M, Brenner R, Cosgrove C, Trumble A, Kochanek K, MacDorman M. National underascertainment of sudden unexpected infant deaths associated with deaths of unknown cause. Pediatrics. 2002;109:274-83 pubmed..Better coordination among child fatality review teams and local, state, and national officials should reduce underascertainment and improve documentation of circumstances surrounding deaths for prevention efforts. ..
- Hesketh T, Xing Z. Abnormal sex ratios in human populations: causes and consequences. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:13271-5 pubmed..Measures to reduce sex selection must include strict enforcement of existing legislation, the ensuring of equal rights for women, and public awareness campaigns about the dangers of gender imbalance. ..
- Bourget D, Grace J, Whitehurst L. A review of maternal and paternal filicide. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2007;35:74-82 pubmed
- Putkonen H, Collander J, Weizmann Henelius G, Eronen M. Legal outcomes of all suspected neonaticides in Finland 1980-2000. Int J Law Psychiatry. 2007;30:248-54 pubmed..Therefore, further discussion and research is needed to elucidate this perplexing, sad, and utterly redundant offence in modern society, to prevent it, and develop treatment programs for the offenders. ..
- Oberman M. Mothers who kill: cross-cultural patterns in and perspectives on contemporary maternal filicide. Int J Law Psychiatry. 2003;26:493-514 pubmed
- Kodish E. Paediatric ethics: a repudiation of the Groningen protocol. Lancet. 2008;371:892-3 pubmed
- Wirth I, Strauch H, Schmeling A. [Latency problems with smothering using soft cover]. Arch Kriminol. 2007;219:169-79 pubmed..In the first case the defendant denied the offence and was acquitted of the charge, while in the second case the self-confessed offender was convicted. ..
- Meng X. Traffic injury or attempted infanticide?. Forensic Sci Int. 2001;122:73-4 pubmed..After investigation and analysis, it has been confirmed that the sewing needles were inserted by others when she was an infant, and not by the traffic injury. ..
- Porter T, Gavin H. Infanticide and neonaticide: a review of 40 years of research literature on incidence and causes. Trauma Violence Abuse. 2010;11:99-112 pubmed publisher..This article reviews and summarizes research, incidence statistics, and judicial and clinical outcomes ranging over four decades of work and sets out various ways forward in the study and prevention of infant murder. ..
- Kapfhammer H, Lange P. [Suicidal and infanticidal risks in puerperal psychosis of an early onset]. Neuropsychiatr. 2012;26:129-38 pubmed publisher..with a puerperal psychosis of an early manifestation is investigated in respect of special risks of suicide and infanticide. During a 20-year period 96 patients who had been fallen ill with a puerperal psychosis within four weeks after ..
- Daly M, Wilson M. The "Cinderella effect" is no fairy tale. Trends Cogn Sci. 2005;9:507-8; author reply 508-10 pubmed
- In 'After-birth abortion: why should the baby live?', Giubilini and Minerva argue that infanticide should be permitted for the same reasons as abortion...
- Spinelli M. Infanticide: contrasting views. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2005;8:15-24 pubmedThe subject of infanticide is met with complex reactions. Paradoxically, the very same society that practices gender selection may also prosecute a mother for killing an infant...
- Charatan F. Mentally ill mother escapes death penalty but faces life imprisonment. BMJ. 2002;324:694 pubmed
- Weekes Shackelford V, Shackelford T. Methods of filicide: stepparents and genetic parents kill differently. Violence Vict. 2004;19:75-81 pubmed..Discussion addresses stepparental psychology in light of the current research, limitations of the current study, and future directions for research on this topic. ..
- Karakus M, Ince H, Ince N, Arican N, Sozen S. Filicide cases in Turkey, 1995-2000. Croat Med J. 2003;44:592-5 pubmed..More than half of the parents were diagnosed with psychiatric disorders and came from disadvantageous socioeconomic environments, where unemployment and illiteracy rates are highly above the average of Turkey. ..
- Rhodes A, SEGRE L. Perinatal depression: a review of US legislation and law. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2013;16:259-70 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the review aims to help researchers and providers who specialize in perinatal depression understand their role in this legal landscape. ..
- ..I end with a recommendation to all of us: in order to make a change, one should not only choose one's battles, but also one's weapon and mode of attack. ..
- Ptaszynska Sarosiek I, Niemcunowicz Janica A, Filimoniuk M, Okłota M, Wardaszka Z, Szeremeta M, et al. [The analysis of neonatal deaths based on autopsy protocols of the Department of Forensic Medicine in Bialystok in the years 1955-2009]. Arch Med Sadowej Kryminol. 2011;61:367-72 pubmed..A total of 108 autopsies (87.1 per cent of all autopsied newborns) involved cases of suspected criminal infanticide within the first score of hours postnatally...
- Bode C, Odelola M, Odiachi R. Abuse and neglect in the surgically ill child. West Afr J Med. 2001;20:86-91 pubmed..One child died of infanticide. Reasons for abuse included financial constraints, hopelessness and shame associated with grotesque lesions, ..
- Bätje C, Schläfke D, Nedopil N, Hassler F. [Infanticide. Social and forensic aspects]. Nervenarzt. 2011;82:873-9 pubmed publisher..About one third of the offenders consulted a physician before the crime. For an improvement in primary prevention, support networks should be integrated and sensitized to the problem. ..
- Gillett G, Gillett M. Intent, the ethos of a caring society and justice. J Law Med. 2008;16:209-15 pubmed
- Kołowski J, Nowak K. [Infanticide in the light of post-mortem findings and court files from the period 1990-2000 (selected problems)]. Arch Med Sadowej Kryminol. 2005;55:125-9 pubmed..This article tackles the issue of infanticide in the period from 1990 to 2000...
- Mani M. The cradle baby scheme. Natl Med J India. 2007;20:263 pubmed
- King M. Concepts of childhood: what we know and where we might go. Renaiss Q. 2007;60:371-407 pubmed..stages of life; childbirth, wetnursing, and the role of the midwife; child abandonment and the foundling home; infanticide and its prosecution; apprenticeship, servitude, and fostering; the evolution of schooling; the consequences of ..
- Hardt J, Hoffmann S. [Childhood in flux--Part I: Ancient world until modern times]. Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr. 2006;55:271-9 pubmed..Children had to take part in breadwinning at an early age; their character was regarded as being like that of an immature adult (i. e., a small barbarian). Specific childlike needs were rarely met or even acknowledged by adults. ..
- Bardia A, Anand K. Sex ratio in India. Lancet. 2006;367:1727-8 pubmed
- Platt M. Investigating infant deaths. BMJ. 2005;330:206-7 pubmed
- Mahalingam R, Haritatos J, Jackson B. Essentialism and the cultural psychology of gender in extreme son preference communities in India. Am J Orthopsychiatry. 2007;77:598-609 pubmed publisher..public health problem in Tamilnadu, India: the persistence of extreme forms of female neglect including female infanticide and feticide...
- Lee A, Li C, Kwong N, So K. Neonaticide, newborn abandonment, and denial of pregnancy--newborn victimisation associated with unwanted motherhood. Hong Kong Med J. 2006;12:61-4 pubmed..A concerted effort among the health care, social work, and judicial professionals is needed to define the scope of the problem and devise preventive measures. ..
- Di Maio V. Repeat sudden unexpected infant deaths. Lancet. 2005;365:1137-8; author reply 1138 pubmed
- Overpeck M, Brenner R, Trumble A, Smith G, MacDorman M, Berendes H. Infant injury deaths with unknown intent: what else do we know?. Inj Prev. 1999;5:272-5 pubmed..Other studies based on record reviews from multiple sources indicate that misclassification and under ascertainment of homicides may be even greater. ..
- Vellut N, Simmat Durand L, Tursz A. [The profile of neonaticide mothers in legal expertise]. Encephale. 2013;39:352-9 pubmed publisher..These neonaticidal mothers did not present any specific socio-demographic or evident psychopathological profile. The study nevertheless enabled definition of a "psycho-relational" profile. ..
- Williams A. Winner of the young physician's section of the Gowers' prize 2000. Too good to be true? Thomas Willis--neonatal convulsions, childhood stroke and infanticide in seventeenth century England. Seizure. 2001;10:471-83 pubmed..We can never know why Willis did not publish the full success of his management of the subsequent children but it may have been due to his dramatic experience of a similar mother early on in his medical career. ..
- Dyer C. GMC decision in Southall case challenged in High Court. BMJ. 2005;330:556 pubmed
- Stone M, Steinmeyer E, Dreher J, Krischer M. Infanticide in female forensic patients: the view from the evolutionary standpoint. J Psychiatr Pract. 2005;11:35-45 pubmed..They examined two samples: 1) all cases of maternal infanticide from the Mid-Hudson Forensic Psychiatric Hospital from 1978 (when the hospital began admitting female patients) ..
- Ventura F, Portunato F, Celesti R. [Medico-legal investigation of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS): differential diagnosis between natural and unnatural death]. Minerva Pediatr. 2010;62:203-16 pubmed..The study of the phenomenon must be based on a multidisciplinary approach, in which the legal surgeon's cooperation with other specialists, such as the anatomopathologist and the pediatrician, plays an important role. ..
- Breathnach C, Moynihan J. Intensive care 1650: the revival of Anne Greene (c. 1628-59). J Med Biogr. 2009;17:35-8 pubmed publisher..She was later pardoned of the charge of infanticide and, with the coffin wherein she had lain as a trophy, went into the country, became the subject not only of a ..
- Todman D. Childbirth in ancient Rome: from traditional folklore to obstetrics. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2007;47:82-5 pubmed..Midwives or obstetrices played an important role and applied rational scientific practices to improve outcomes. This evolution from folklore to obstetrics was a pivotal point in the history of childbirth. ..
- Murphy J. Flawed expert witnesses: the breaking of the profession's china. Ir Med J. 2003;96:36 pubmed
- Silva J, Leong G. A new classification schema for maternal filicide. J Am Acad Psychiatry Law. 2003;31:143-4 pubmed
- Lee Y, Kleinbach R, H P, Peng Z, Chen X. Cross-cultural research on euthanasia and abortion. J Soc Issues. 1996;52:131-48 pubmed..Using a 2 x 2 factorial design, we examined the effects of culture (America and China) and type of death (infanticide and geronticide)...
- Sarna K. Female foeticide on the rise in India. Nurs J India. 2003;94:29-30 pubmed
- Cousins D, Barrett I, Kaplan C. Medicolegal issues in paediatric practice: proceedings of the 4th Northern Regional Paediatric Colloquium. Med Sci Law. 2004;44:75-9 pubmed..A series of such meetings have been held in the Northern region. We report the proceedings of the fourth meeting. Four cases were presented and the issues arising were debated. The key points from each discussion are described. ..
- Sumner M. The unknown genocide: how one country's culture is destroying the girl child. Int J Nurs Pract. 2009;15:65-8 pubmed publisherFemale feticide and infanticide is occurring at an alarming rate in India as a result of preference for sons. The cultural reasons for sex-selective abortions and the government's current strategies against this problem are identified...
- Mendlowicz M, Rapaport M, Fontenelle L, Jean Louis G, De Moraes T. Amnesia and neonaticide. Am J Psychiatry. 2002;159:498-9 pubmed
- Fairbrother N, Woody S. New mothers' thoughts of harm related to the newborn. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2008;11:221-9 pubmed publisher..Unwanted intrusive thoughts of harming one's infant are a relatively normative experience during the early postpartum period, particularly in association with greater parenting stress and low social support. ..