Summary: Illegal termination of pregnancy.
- Ahman E, Shah I. Contraceptive use, fertility, and unsafe abortion in developing countries. Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2006;11:126-31 pubmed..The intriguing association between contraceptive method choice and the incidence of unsafe abortion deserves further exploration. ..
- Dam A, Mishra J. Managing ergot-induced gangrene: the anesthesiologist as a key player. Anesth Analg. 2002;95:409-10, table of contents pubmed..Our purpose is to highlight the dangerous means adopted by unlicensed medical charlatans to induce abortion as well as to emphasize the key role played by anesthesiologists in the management of such cases. ..
- Rodriguez K, Strickler J. Clandestine abortion in Latin America: provider perspectives. Women Health. 1999;28:59-76 pubmed..Finally, the article reviews what gives the providers satisfaction in their work, such as the feeling that they are saving women's lives and empowering women while meeting a challenge. ..
- Escumalha M, Gouveia C, Cunha M, Vale F, Machado M. Neonatal morbidity and outcome of live born premature babies after attempted illegal abortion with misoprostol. Pediatr Nurs. 2005;31:228-31 pubmed..02). The worse outcome of MG infants seems to be determined by prenatal, natal, and postnatal factors and we believe that misoprostol is probably a significant adjuvant cofactor. ..
- Moszynski P. Conference warns of epidemic of unsafe abortions in Africa. BMJ. 2006;332:874 pubmed
- Diniz D. Abortion in Brazilian bioethics. Camb Q Healthc Ethics. 2004;13:275-9 pubmed
- Lucas R. Forgotten Supreme Court abortion cases: Drs. Hawker and Hurwitz in the deck and defrocked. Pepperdine Law Rev. 2003;30:641-70 pubmed
- Lema V, Changole J, Kanyighe C, Malunga E. Maternal mortality at the Queen Elizabeth Central Teaching Hospital, Blantyre, Malawi. East Afr Med J. 2005;82:3-9 pubmed..Most of the causes and operational factors for maternal deaths are easily avoidable. The country needs to make more commitment and investments necessary to mitigate these deaths. ..
- Madebo T, G Tsadic T. A six month prospective study on different aspects of abortion. Ethiop Med J. 1993;31:165-72 pubmed..Overall, these findings document the magnitude of the problem of illegal abortion in Ethiopia and indicate an urgent need for contraceptive education among young women. ..
- Bentov Y, Sheiner E, Katz M. Misoprostol overdose during the first trimester of pregnancy. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2004;115:108-9 pubmed..Treatment was supportive and included gastric lavage and administration of activated charcoal. Recovery was completed within a few hours, and the patient was scheduled for a dilatation and curettage the following day. ..
- Intaraprasert S, Boonthai N. Challenge for unsafe abortion. J Med Assoc Thai. 2005;88 Suppl 2:S104-7 pubmed
- Alves S. Maternal mortality in Pernambuco, Brazil: what has changed in ten years?. Reprod Health Matters. 2007;15:134-44 pubmed..Maternal mortality declined by 30% over the ten-year period but the level of misclassification of maternal deaths remains. Improvements in maternity care for women and reporting of maternal deaths are still urgently needed. ..
- Juarez F, Singh S, Garcia S, Olavarrieta C. Estimates of induced abortion in Mexico: what's changed between 1990 and 2006?. Int Fam Plan Perspect. 2008;34:158-68 pubmed publisher..Recommended responses include broadening the legal criteria for abortion throughout Mexico, improving contraceptive and postabortion services, and expanding training in the provision of safe abortion, including medical abortion. ..
- Manopaiboon C, Kilmarx P, van Griensven F, Chaikummao S, Jeeyapant S, Limpakarnjanarat K, et al. High rates of pregnancy among vocational school students: results of audio computer-assisted self-interview survey in Chiang Rai, Thailand. J Adolesc. 2003;26:517-30 pubmed..The high rates of pregnancy and abortion in this population indicate the need for better sexual health education and access to effective contraceptive methods. ..
- Kinaro J, Ali T, Schlangen R, Mack J. Unsafe abortion and abortion care in Khartoum, Sudan. Reprod Health Matters. 2009;17:71-7 pubmed publisher..Guidelines should be developed on quality of care and should mandate the use of manual vacuum aspiration or misoprostol for medical abortion instead of D&C. ..
- Pennings G. Reproductive tourism as moral pluralism in motion. J Med Ethics. 2002;28:337-41 pubmed..Reproductive tourism is moral pluralism realised by moving across legal borders. As such, this pragmatic solution presupposes legal diversity. ..
- Ravolamanana Ralisata L, Rabenjamina F, Razafintsalama D, Rakotonandrianina E, Randrianjafisamindrakotroka N. [Post-abortum peritonitis pelviperitonitis at the Androva Mahajanga University Hospital: 23 cases]. J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris). 2001;30:282-7 pubmed..Mortality was high, 13%. Illegal abortion must be prevented with better information on contraception and better health education programs. The question of the usefulness of current legislation is discussed. ..
- Engstrom J, Hunter R. Teaching reproductive options through the use of fiction: the Cider House Rules project. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2007;36:464-70 pubmed..The critical reading of the book, The Cider House Rules, provides a unique opportunity for students to obtain insight and understanding of the complex circumstances under which women and their families make reproductive decisions. ..
- Berer M. Hospital admission for complications of unsafe abortion. Lancet. 2006;368:1848-9 pubmed
- Okonofua F, Hammed A, Nzeribe E, Saidu B, Abass T, Adeboye G, et al. Perceptions of policymakers in Nigeria toward unsafe abortion and maternal mortality. Int Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2009;35:194-202 pubmed publisher..Presenting statistics on unsafe abortion together with compelling personal stories will likely resonate with policymakers and contribute to an informed public debate on abortion law reform. ..
- Mariner J. Latin America's abortion battles: advocates for women's rights sense progress in the ongoing battle for better reproductive health care services. Conscience. 2005;26:10-4 pubmed
- McNaughton H, Mitchell E, Hernandez E, Padilla K, Blandon M. Patient privacy and conflicting legal and ethical obligations in El Salvador: reporting of unlawful abortions. Am J Public Health. 2006;96:1927-33 pubmed..Most respondents (86%) knew that women delay seeking care because of fear of prosecution, yet a majority (56%) participated in notification of legal authorities. ..
- Sharma T, Bathla S, Agarwal N, Arya S, Ahuja P. An unusual case of colouterine fistula. Saudi Med J. 2006;27:412-3 pubmed
- Rasch V, Yambesi F, Kipingili R. Scaling up postabortion contraceptive service--results from a study conducted among women having unwanted pregnancies in urban and rural Tanzania. Contraception. 2005;72:377-82 pubmed..The high proportion of women with unwanted pregnancies in urban and rural Tanzania underlines the need of scaling up postabortion contraceptive service. ..
- de Souza e Silva R. Patterns of induced abortion in urban area of southeastern region, Brazil. Rev Saude Publica. 1998;32:7-17 pubmed..Overall, these findings indicate a clear need for development of birth control methods that meet the needs of young women at the beginning of their reproductive lives since these women comprise the majority of abortion seekers. ..
- Sepou A, Gaye A, Dumont A. [How far do clandestine abortion providers go in Africa?]. Med Trop (Mars). 2005;65:64-6 pubmed..Although the outcome was favorable for the patient, action must be taken to control intermediate level health care workers whose practices can endanger the population. ..
- Kendrick C. The illegality of abortion in Mexico. Stanford J Int Law. 2003;39:125-50 pubmed
- Nesheim B. [Medically induced abortion--a provocative issue?]. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2003;123:2411 pubmed
- Dahal K. Legal abortion in Nepal and women in prison. Lancet. 2004;363:1905 pubmed
- Scuder A. The inapplicability of parental involvement laws to the distribution of mifepristone (RU-486) to minors. Am Univ J Gend Soc Policy Law. 2002;10:711-41 pubmed
- Tanner A. The threepenny doctor: Henry Percy Jelley of Hackney. J Med Biogr. 2002;10:28-39 pubmed
- Osuna E, Toucedo M, Sánchez Espigares G, Garfia A, Aparicio F, Rueda J, et al. A case of self-inflicted wounding by the introduction of needles through the abdominal wall to induce abortion. Forensic Sci Int. 2002;128:141-5 pubmed..An X-ray showed a metallic object in the abdominal region which, again, corresponded to a sewing needle. The newborn did not respond to treatment and died 2h after admission. ..
- Mayi Tsonga S, Oksana L, Ndombi I, Diallo T, de Sousa M, Faundes A. Delay in the provision of adequate care to women who died from abortion-related complications in the principal maternity hospital of Gabon. Reprod Health Matters. 2009;17:65-70 pubmed publisher..Such delays may constitute an important determinant of the risk of death in women with abortion-related complications. ..
- Mayi Tsonga S, Diallo T, Litochenko O, Methogo M, Ndombi I. [Prevalence of illegal abortions in Libreville Hospital, Gabon]. Bull Soc Pathol Exot. 2009;102:230-2 pubmed..9 weeks. Misoprostol (63.1%) was the most frequent abortive product used. 2 maternal deaths were notified. Prevalence of illegal abortions is increasing at the MHL. Up to now, misoprostol is the most frequent abortive product used. ..
- Miyazaki M. The history of abortion-related acts and current issues in Japan. Med Law. 2007;26:791-9 pubmed..As a result, the existence of contradictions between attitudes toward the life of the fetus and that of the mother, women's right to self determination, and women's rights under current legislation has been clarified. ..
- Rossier C. Abortion: an open secret? Abortion and social network involvement in Burkina Faso. Reprod Health Matters. 2007;15:230-8 pubmed..The key to keeping a secret lies in the choice of those with whom to share it; good confidants are those who are bound by secrecy through the bonds of intimacy or shared transgression. ..
- McSherry B. Abortion and the criminal law. J Law Med. 2004;11:409-13 pubmed
- Stafford E. Frew v. Hawkins. Tex Med. 2007;103:25-7 pubmed
- Peto A, Kossuth E. Women's rights in Stalinist Hungary: the abortion trials of 1952-53. Hung Stud Rev. 2002;29:49-76 pubmed
- Puri M, Goyal U, Jain S, Pasrija S. A rare case of vesicovaginal fistula following illegal abortion. Indian J Med Sci. 2005;59:30-1 pubmed
- Briozzo L, Vidiella G, Rodriguez F, Gorgoroso M, Faundes A, Pons J. A risk reduction strategy to prevent maternal deaths associated with unsafe abortion. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2006;95:221-6 pubmed..There were no serious complications (one mild infection and two hemorrhages not requiring transfusion). The strategy is effective in reducing unsafe abortions and their health consequences. ..
- van Dijk M, Lara D, Garcia S. Opinions of decision-makers on the liberalization of abortion laws in Mexico. Salud Publica Mex. 2007;49:394-400 pubmed..A state-by-state approach seems more effective for generating changes in abortion laws. ..
- Kinoti S, Gaffikin L, Benson J. How research can affect policy and programme advocacy: example from a three-country study on abortion complications in sub-Saharan Africa. East Afr Med J. 2004;81:63-70 pubmed..Ensuring that research results will be shared with appropriate decision-makers is key to maximizing the extent to which research findings may affect policy and programme advocacy. ..
- Orji E. Comparative study of the impact of past pregnancy outcome on future fertility. Singapore Med J. 2008;49:1021-4 pubmed..Motherhood must be made safer in planned pregnancies by prevention of complications, and aggressive and prompt treatment of any complication if and when it occurs. ..
- Nunes F. Abortion: thinking clearly about controversial public policy. Afr J Reprod Health. 2004;8:11-26 pubmed
- Rouzi A. Complications of self-induced medical abortion with misoprostol. Saudi Med J. 2003;24:228 pubmed
- Jhobta R, Attri A, Jhobta A. Bowel injury following induced abortion. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2007;96:24-7 pubmed..Preoperative resuscitation, then resection with exteriorization of bowel and thorough peritoneal lavage, is the treatment for bowel injury incurred during induced abortion when the patient presents late. ..
- Mengue S, Schenkel E, Duncan B, Schmidt M. Prevalence and clinical correlates of unsuccessful use of drugs to induce menstruation. Contraception. 1998;57:93-7 pubmed..Of concern is the effect of these medications and herbs on fetuses in cases where an abortion attempt is unsuccessful. ..