origin of life
Summary: The process by which life began.
- Melendez Hevia E. From the RNA world to the DNA-protein world: clues to the origin and early evolution of life in the ribosome. J Biosci. 2009;34:825-7 pubmed
- Szostak N, Synak J, Borowski M, Wasik S, Blazewicz J. Simulating the origins of life: The dual role of RNA replicases as an obstacle to evolution. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180827 pubmed publisher..We conclude that this might be a cause for one of the greatest transitions in life that took place early in evolution-the separation of the function between DNA templates and protein enzymes, with a central role for RNA species. ..
- Kinsler G, Sinai S, Lee N, Nowak M. Prebiotic selection for motifs in a model of template-free elongation of polymers within compartments. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180208 pubmed publisher..In the context of origin of life, evolution of information-carrying molecules and RNA based enzymes within compartments has been subject to ..
- Higgs P. Chemical Evolution and the Evolutionary Definition of Life. J Mol Evol. 2017;84:225-235 pubmed publisher..Here, I argue that chemical evolution, although Darwinian, does not quite constitute life, and that a good place to put the conceptual boundary between non-life and life is between chemical and biological evolution. ..
- Schreiber U, Mayer C, Schmitz O, Rosendahl P, Bronja A, Greule M, et al. Organic compounds in fluid inclusions of Archean quartz-Analogues of prebiotic chemistry on early Earth. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177570 pubmed publisherThe origin of life is still an unsolved mystery in science...
- Norris V, Reusch R, Igarashi K, Root Bernstein R. Molecular complementarity between simple, universal molecules and ions limited phenotype space in the precursors of cells. Biol Direct. 2014;10:28 pubmed publisher..As examples, we propose that acidocalcisomes arose from interactions and self-selection among SUMIs and that the phosphorylation of proteins in modern cells had its origin in the covalent modification of proteins by PHB. ..
- Penny D. Cooperation and selfishness both occur during molecular evolution. Biol Direct. 2014;10:26 pubmed publisher..are extensive examples of cooperative behavior among genes and proteins in both functioning cells and in the origin of life, so this cooperative nature, along with selfishness, must be considered part of normal evolution...
- Agmon I. Sequence complementarity at the ribosomal Peptidyl Transferase Centre implies self-replicating origin. FEBS Lett. 2017;591:3252-3258 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, it indicates a simple and efficient replication mode; the strand of each monomer could have acted as a template for the synthesis of its counterpart, forming a self-replicating ribozyme. ..