Summary: Cultural and linguistic competence is a set of congruent behaviors, attitudes, and policies that come together in a system, agency, or among professionals that enables effective work in cross-cultural situations. Competence implies the capacity to function effectively as an individual and an organization within the context of the cultural beliefs, behaviors, and needs presented by consumers and their communities.
- Vandenberg H, Kalischuk R. Conceptualizations of culture and cultural care among undergraduate nursing students: an exploration and critique of cultural education. J Cult Divers. 2014;21:99-107 pubmed..Findings revealed that both groups of students supported the essentialist view of culture. Although students supported the ideals of cultural care, students remained unaware of critical views of culture. ..
- Eisenberg K, Woodruff S. Randomized controlled trial to evaluate screening and brief intervention for drug-using multiethnic emergency and trauma department patients. Addict Sci Clin Pract. 2013;8:8 pubmed publisher..Outcome analysis has not yet been completed, but demonstrated programming and design successes have implications for future research and service delivery. http://NCT01683227. ..
- Behar Horenstein L, Warren R, Dodd V, Catalanotto F. Addressing Oral Health Disparities Via Educational Foci on Cultural Competence. Am J Public Health. 2017;107:S18-S23 pubmed publisher..We describe enhanced cultural competency, in the context of individual cultural beliefs, values, language, practice, and health behaviors, among ..
- Cox L, Crump L, Struwing R, Gillum D, Abraham S. Building Cultural Competence: The Lived Experience of Semester Study Abroad Students. J Christ Nurs. 2017;34:E35-E40 pubmed publisher..Students reported that relationships with people and faith in Christ were strengthened through the experience. ..
- Green D, King U, Morrison J. Disproportionate burdens: the multidimensional impacts of climate change on the health of Indigenous Australians. Med J Aust. 2009;190:4-5 pubmed
- Bateman C. An insider view: a Cuban trainee's journey. S Afr Med J. 2013;103:605-6 pubmed
- Wong J, Son D, Miura W. Cross-Cultural Interprofessional Faculty Development in Japan: Results of an Integrated Workshop for Clinical Teachers. Am J Med Sci. 2017;354:597-602 pubmed publisher..Faculty development for improving clinical teaching can be performed across the cultures of medicine and nursing, as well as across the cultures of the United States and Japan. ..
- Lin S, Melendez Torres G. Critical interpretive synthesis of barriers and facilitators to TB treatment in immigrant populations. Trop Med Int Health. 2017;22:1206-1222 pubmed publisher..This review emphasised the roles of repatriation policy and healthcare workers in forming experiences of TB treatment in immigrant populations. ..
- Dreachslin J, Weech Maldonado R, Gail J, Epane J, Wainio J. Blueprint for Sustainable Change in Diversity Management and Cultural Competence: Lessons From the National Center for Healthcare Leadership Diversity Demonstration Project. J Healthc Manag. 2017;62:171-183 pubmed publisher..This article describes each intervention hospital's success in action plan implementation and reports results of postintervention interviews with leadership to provide a blueprint for sustainable change. ..
- McGrath P. The living model: an Australian model for aboriginal palliative care service delivery with international implications. J Palliat Care. 2010;26:59-64 pubmed
- Jamieson L, Paradies Y, Eades S, Chong A, Maple Brown L, Morris P, et al. Ten principles relevant to health research among Indigenous Australian populations. Med J Aust. 2012;197:16-8 pubmed
- Shreve M, Scott A, Vowell Johnson K. Adequately Addressing Pediatric Obesity: Challenges Faced by Primary Care Providers. South Med J. 2017;110:486-490 pubmed publisher..This will allow for earlier identification and intervention, resulting in improved outcomes in pediatric obesity. ..
- Ulvund I, Mordal E. The impact of short term clinical placement in a developing country on nursing students: A qualitative descriptive study. Nurse Educ Today. 2017;55:96-100 pubmed publisher..how short term international clinical placement impacted Norwegian nursing students' development of cultural competency. In this study we utilised a qualitative descriptive design and used individual interviews with eighteen ..
- Rew L, Becker H, Chontichachalalauk J, Lee H. Cultural diversity among nursing students: reanalysis of the cultural awareness scale. J Nurs Educ. 2014;53:71-6 pubmed publisher..Findings support the validity of the CAS and its applicability to research studies of cultural awareness in nursing. ..
- Zhao Y, Li S, Liu L, Zhang J, Chen G. Does the choice of tariff matter?: A comparison of EQ-5D-5L utility scores using Chinese, UK, and Japanese tariffs on patients with psoriasis vulgaris in Central South China. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7840 pubmed publisher..The evidence from this study supports the choice of the country-specific tariff to be used in Mainland China. ..
- Cwiak C, Campbell R, Cassavechia M, Haynes C, Lloyd L, Brockway N, et al. Emergency management leadership in 2030: Shaping the next generation meta-leader. J Emerg Manag. 2017;15:81-97 pubmed publisher..The examination of the new framing created in this effort is intended to prompt dialog and research within the emergency management practice and academic communities that furthers the practice and study of emergency management. ..
- Gray B, Hardt E. A comparison of the use of interpreters in New Zealand and the US. N Z Med J. 2017;130:70-75 pubmedb>Cultural competency in medicine is not possible unless language differences are addressed effectively...
- Garg P, Ha M, Eastwood J, Harvey S, Woolfenden S, Murphy E, et al. Explaining culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) parents' access of healthcare services for developmental surveillance and anticipatory guidance: qualitative findings from the 'Watch Me Grow' study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:228 pubmed publisher..There is a need for ongoing cultural competence training of health professionals and provisions need to be made to support frequent use of interpreters at general practices in Australia. ..
- Forsyth C, Irving M, Tennant M, Short S, Gilroy J. Teaching Cultural Competence in Dental Education: A Systematic Review and Exploration of Implications for Indigenous Populations in Australia. J Dent Educ. 2017;81:956-968 pubmed publisher..Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses (PRISMA) statement was conducted of published studies that explored cultural competency interventions in dental curricula...
- Lecerof S, Stafström M, Emmelin M, Westerling R, Östergen P. Findings from a prospective cohort study evaluating the effects of International Health Advisors' work on recently settled migrants' health. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:369 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to understand success factors in health promoting interventions among recently settled migrants better. ..
- Taylor A. Getting it right: Culturally safe approaches to health partnership work in low to middle income countries. Nurse Educ Pract. 2017;24:49-54 pubmed publisher..Recommendations for practice are based on the importance of gaining an understanding of the host country's history and social context and of professionals examining their own individual worldviews. ..
- Rodgers D, Wendling A, Saba G, Mahoney M, Brown Speights J. Preparing Family Physicians to Care for Underserved Populations: A Historical Perspective. Fam Med. 2017;49:304-310 pubmed..has been a specific focus on improving access to care, understanding and eliminating health disparities, cultural competency and behavioral science training that recognizes the challenges often faced by patients and families living ..
- Dorsainvil M. Increasing Cervical Cancer Screening in Underserved Populations. J Christ Nurs. 2017;34:152-158 pubmed publisher..Although minority women have cultural beliefs and practices that influence screening, recommendation and/or education from a provider often lead to screening. ..
- ..John Fowler, educational consultant and part-time university chaplain, examines the role of clinically based nurses in caring for the spiritual needs of patients who are Buddhists. ..
- Arif S, Cryder B, Mazan J, Quiñones Boex A, Cyganska A. Using Patient Case Video Vignettes to Improve Students' Understanding of Cross-cultural Communication. Am J Pharm Educ. 2017;81:56 pubmed publisher..case videos in conjunction with an interactive workshop improved pharmacy students' understanding of and comfort level with cross-cultural communication skills and can be useful tools for cultural competency training in the curriculum.
- Sumpter K. End of life planning for 'hard to reach' communities. Nurs Older People. 2017;29:14 pubmed publisher..Do 'hard to reach' communities exist? Or is more required of us as healthcare professionals to explore creative ways of engaging those who experience significant barriers in accessing health services? ..
- Carlson E, Stenberg M, Chan B, Ho S, Lai T, Wong A, et al. Nursing as universal and recognisable: Nursing students'perceptions of learning outcomes from intercultural peer learning webinars: A qualitative study. Nurse Educ Today. 2017;57:54-59 pubmed publisher..The aim of the project was to explore how undergraduate nursing students' perceived achieved learning outcomes after participating in a web-based intercultural peer-learning intervention. ..
- Castle D, Galletly C, Dark F, Humberstone V, Morgan V, Killackey E, et al. The 2016 Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists guidelines for the management of schizophrenia and related disorders. Med J Aust. 2017;206:501-505 pubmed..Clinical services focusing on early detection, treatment and recovery need continuous funding to be proactive in implementing the guidelines and closing the gap between what is possible and what actually occurs. ..
- Zaidi Z, Vyas R, Verstegen D, Morahan P, Dornan T. Medical Education to Enhance Critical Consciousness: Facilitators' Experiences. Acad Med. 2017;92:S93-S99 pubmed publisher..How faculty without prior experience or expertise could develop those values and skills is a topic for future research. ..