Genomes and Genes
Summary: Typical way of life or manner of living characteristic of an individual or group. (From APA, Thesaurus of Psychological Index Terms, 8th ed)
- Koller E, Chin J, Conway P. Diabetes prevention and the role of risk factor reduction in the Medicare population. Am J Prev Med. 2013;44:S307-16 pubmed publisher..Medicare benefits focus on reduction of cardiovascular risk and mitigation of more temporally immediate complications of weight gain and glucose elevation. These preventive services and interventions are described. ..
- Williams K, Beeken R, Wardle J. Health behaviour advice to cancer patients: the perspective of social network members. Br J Cancer. 2013;108:831-5 pubmed publisher..These results help counter doubts about the acceptability of lifestyle advice in the cancer context. ..
- Crowe F, Appleby P, Travis R, Key T. Risk of hospitalization or death from ischemic heart disease among British vegetarians and nonvegetarians: results from the EPIC-Oxford cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013;97:597-603 pubmed publisher..Consuming a vegetarian diet was associated with lower IHD risk, a finding that is probably mediated by differences in non-HDL cholesterol, and systolic blood pressure. ..
- Field N, Mercer C, Sonnenberg P, Tanton C, Clifton S, Mitchell K, et al. Associations between health and sexual lifestyles in Britain: findings from the third National Survey of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles (Natsal-3). Lancet. 2013;382:1830-44 pubmed publisher..Grants from the UK Medical Research Council and the Wellcome Trust, with support from the Economic and Social Research Council and Department of Health. ..
- Anderson A, Mackison D, Boath C, Steele R. Promoting changes in diet and physical activity in breast and colorectal cancer screening settings: an unexplored opportunity for endorsing healthy behaviors. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2013;6:165-72 pubmed publisher..Effective interventions delivered in this setting also offer an important opportunity to contribute to the reduction of the overall burden of chronic non-communicable diseases. ..
- Mercer C, Tanton C, Prah P, Erens B, Sonnenberg P, Clifton S, et al. Changes in sexual attitudes and lifestyles in Britain through the life course and over time: findings from the National Surveys of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles (Natsal). Lancet. 2013;382:1781-94 pubmed publisher..Grants from the UK Medical Research Council and the Wellcome Trust, with support from the Economic and Social Research Council and the Department of Health. ..
- Singh M, Lee J, Gupta N, Gaddam S, Smith B, Wani S, et al. Weight loss can lead to resolution of gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms: a prospective intervention trial. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013;21:284-90 pubmed publisher..17, P < 0.05). In conclusion, the overall prevalence of GERD symptoms is high (37%) in overweight and obese subjects. A structured weight loss program can lead to complete resolution of GERD symptoms in the majority of these subjects. ..
- Wang L, Liao W, Tsai C, Wang L, Mao I, Chen C, et al. The effects of perceived stress and life style leading to breast cancer. Women Health. 2013;53:20-40 pubmed publisher..18; 95% CI, 1.79-5.63), and high meat and seafood intake (AOR, 1.89; 95% CI, 1.09-3.27). Perceived stress, when combined with potentially risky lifestyle behaviors, may be a contributing factor to breast cancer. ..
- Li Y, Ueng K, Jeng J, Charng M, Lin T, Chien K, et al. 2017 Taiwan lipid guidelines for high risk patients. J Formos Med Assoc. 2017;116:217-248 pubmed publisher..The major purpose is to improve clinical outcomes of these high risk patients through the control of hyperlipidemia. ..
- Shabanzadeh D. New determinants for gallstone disease??. Dan Med J. 2018;65: pubmed
- Babizhayev M. Biochemical, Biomedical and Metabolic Aspects of Imidazole-Containing Dipeptides with the Inherent Complexity to Neurodegenerative Diseases and Various States of Mental Well-Being: A Challenging Correction and Neurotherapeutic Pharmaceutical Biotechn. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2014;15:738-78 pubmed
- Seven E. Overweight, hypertension and cardiovascular disease: focus on adipocytokines, insulin, weight changes and natriuretic peptides. Dan Med J. 2015;62:B5163 pubmed..Since adjustment for CRP decreased the BMI-associated CVD risk markedly, our data indirectly suggest that IL-6 originating from fat tissue could play a role in overweight and obesity-related cardiovascular disease. ..
- Serhiyenko V, Serhiyenko A. Cardiac autonomic neuropathy: Risk factors, diagnosis and treatment. World J Diabetes. 2018;9:1-24 pubmed publisher..Treatment is based on early diagnosis, life style changes, optimization of glycemic control and management of cardiovascular risk factors...
- Xu B, Kong X, Xu R, Song Y, Liu L, Zhou Z, et al. Homocysteine and all-cause mortality in hypertensive adults without pre-existing cardiovascular conditions: Effect modification by MTHFR C677T polymorphism. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e5862 pubmed publisher..If confirmed that tHcy and MTHFR genotypes may serve as useful biomarkers for mortality risk assessment and targeted intervention. ..
- Motta A. The role of obesity in the development of polycystic ovary syndrome. Curr Pharm Des. 2012;18:2482-91 pubmed..In summary, weight loss is considered the first-line therapy in obese women with PCOS. In the present review, the consequence and treatment of obesity in women with PCOS are discussed. ..
- Daneshi Maskooni M, Keshavarz S, Mansouri S, Qorbani M, Alavian S, Badri Fariman M, et al. The effects of green cardamom on blood glucose indices, lipids, inflammatory factors, paraxonase-1, sirtuin-1, and irisin in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and obesity: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2017;18:260 pubmed publisher..Further study of cardamom's potential in improving NAFLD is suggested. Iranian Registry of Clinical Trials (IRCT), ID number: IRCT2015121317254N4 . Registered on 27 December 2015. ..
- Calabrese V, Scapagnini G, Davinelli S, Koverech G, Koverech A, De Pasquale C, et al. Sex hormonal regulation and hormesis in aging and longevity: role of vitagenes. J Cell Commun Signal. 2014;8:369-84 pubmed publisher..Here we focus on possible signaling mechanisms involved in the activation of vitagenes resulting in enhanced defense against functional defects leading to degeneration and cell death with consequent impact on longevity processes. ..
- Rohde U. EndoBarrier gastrointestinal liner. Delineation of underlying mechanisms and clinical effects. Dan Med J. 2016;63: pubmed
- Khaledifar A, Hashemzadeh M, Solati K, Poustchi H, Bollati V, Ahmadi A, et al. The protocol of a population-based prospective cohort study in southwest of Iran to analyze common non-communicable diseases: Shahrekord cohort study. BMC Public Health. 2018;18:660 pubmed publisher..Data are available at the modeling in health research center, Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences, Shahrekord, Iran, for any collaboration. ..
- Castillo J, Orlando R, Garver W. Gene-nutrient interactions and susceptibility to human obesity. Genes Nutr. 2017;12:29 pubmed publisher..It is proposed that knowledge of these related topics will provide valuable insight for future preventative lifestyle intervention using targeted nutritional and medicinal therapies...
- Alouki K, Delisle H, Bermudez Tamayo C, Johri M. Lifestyle Interventions to Prevent Type 2 Diabetes: A Systematic Review of Economic Evaluation Studies. J Diabetes Res. 2016;2016:2159890 pubmed publisher..Conclusion. This confirms that lifestyle interventions for the primary prevention of diabetes are cost-effective. Such interventions should be further promoted as sound investment in the fight against diabetes. ..
- Santos Ferreira D, Williams D, Kangas A, Soininen P, Ala Korpela M, Smith G, et al. Association of pre-pregnancy body mass index with offspring metabolic profile: Analyses of 3 European prospective birth cohorts. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002376 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that maternal BMI-offspring metabolome associations are likely to be largely due to shared genetic or familial lifestyle confounding rather than to intrauterine mechanisms. ..
- Rahmati Najarkolaei F, Pakpour A, Saffari M, Hosseini M, Hajizadeh F, Chen H, et al. Determinants of Lifestyle Behavior in Iranian Adults with Prediabetes: Applying the Theory of Planned Behavior. Arch Iran Med. 2017;20:198-204 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it may be used to monitor lifestyle modification to prevent development of diabetes among people with prediabetic conditions. ..
- Schmidt B, Frölich S, Dragano N, Frank M, Eisele L, Pechlivanis S, et al. Socioeconomic Status Interacts with the Genetic Effect of a Chromosome 9p21.3 Common Variant to Influence Coronary Artery Calcification and Incident Coronary Events in the Heinz Nixdorf Recall Study (Risk Factors, Evaluation of Coronary Calcium, and . Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2017;10: pubmed publisher..This supports the hypothesis that better material, psychosocial, and lifestyle conditions enable higher SES groups to reduce the expression of their genetic susceptibility to coronary artery disease. ..
- Messier S, Callahan L, Beavers D, Queen K, Mihalko S, Miller G, et al. Weight-loss and exercise for communities with arthritis in North Carolina (we-can): design and rationale of a pragmatic, assessor-blinded, randomized controlled trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18:91 pubmed publisher..clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT02577549 October 12, 2015. ..
- Dias K, Coombes J, Green D, Gomersall S, Keating S, Tjonna A, et al. Effects of exercise intensity and nutrition advice on myocardial function in obese children and adolescents: a multicentre randomised controlled trial study protocol. BMJ Open. 2016;6:e010929 pubmed publisher..nct01991106. ..
- Chen C, Liu K, Hsu C, Chang H, Chung H, Liu J, et al. Healthy lifestyle and normal waist circumference are associated with a lower 5-year risk of type 2 diabetes in middle-aged and elderly individuals: Results from the healthy aging longitudinal study in Taiwan (HALST). Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6025 pubmed publisher..Psychosocial health constituted an important lifestyle factor in the elderly. The cutoffs identified could be used as a lifestyle-based risk index for DM. Maintaining an HLF to prevent DM is especially important for the elderly. ..
- Somrongthong R, Hongthong D, Wongchalee S, Wongtongkam N. The Influence of Chronic Illness and Lifestyle Behaviors on Quality of Life among Older Thais. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:2525941 pubmed publisher..Social participation in alcohol consumption may encourage seniors to share their concerns about death and dying and eventually accept this as a foundation of life. ..
- Henriksson P, Cuenca Garcia M, Labayen I, Esteban Cornejo I, Henriksson H, Kersting M, et al. Diet quality and attention capacity in European adolescents: the Healthy Lifestyle in Europe by Nutrition in Adolescence (HELENA) study. Br J Nutr. 2017;117:1587-1595 pubmed publisher..Intervention studies investigating a causal relationship between diet quality and attention are warranted. ..
- Sabia S, Dugravot A, Dartigues J, Abell J, Elbaz A, Kivimaki M, et al. Physical activity, cognitive decline, and risk of dementia: 28 year follow-up of Whitehall II cohort study. BMJ. 2017;357:j2709 pubmed publisher..Previous findings showing a lower risk of dementia in physically active people may be attributable to reverse causation-that is, due to a decline in physical activity levels in the preclinical phase of dementia. ..
- van Dongen L, Mölenberg F, Soedamah Muthu S, Kromhout D, Geleijnse J. Coffee consumption after myocardial infarction and risk of cardiovascular mortality: a prospective analysis in the Alpha Omega Cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;106:1113-1120 pubmed publisher..b>Conclusion: Drinking coffee, either caffeinated or decaffeinated, may lower the risk of CVD and IHD mortality in patients with a prior MI. This study was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT03192410. ..
- Shen W, Zhang T, Li S, Zhang H, Xi B, Shen H, et al. Race and Sex Differences of Long-Term Blood Pressure Profiles From Childhood and Adult Hypertension: The Bogalusa Heart Study. Hypertension. 2017;70:66-74 pubmed publisher..Puberty is a crucial period for the development of hypertension in later life. ..
- Zomers M, Hulsegge G, van Oostrom S, Proper K, Verschuren W, Picavet H. Characterizing Adult Sleep Behavior Over 20 Years-The Population-Based Doetinchem Cohort Study. Sleep. 2017;40: pubmed publisher..Leisure-time physical activity is a potential important target to prevent unfavorable changes in sleep duration over the life course. ..
- Brown J, Alwan N, West J, Brown S, McKinlay C, Farrar D, et al. Lifestyle interventions for the treatment of women with gestational diabetes. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;5:CD011970 pubmed publisher..There has been no in-depth exploration of the costs 'saved' from reduction in risk of LGA/macrosomia and potential longer-term risks for the infants. ..
- Kenny D, Asher A. Life Expectancy and Cause of Death in Popular Musicians: Is the Popular Musician Lifestyle the Road to Ruin?. Med Probl Perform Art. 2016;31:37-44 pubmed publisher..For accidental death, actual deaths significantly exceeded expected deaths for country, folk, jazz, metal, pop, punk, and rock. ..
- Lin Y, Gajewski A, Poznańska A. Examining mortality risk and rate of ageing among Polish Olympic athletes: a survival follow-up from 1924 to 2012. BMJ Open. 2016;6:e010965 pubmed publisher..086 (95% CI 0.047 to 0.157) and Cohort II 0.085 (95% CI 0.050 to 0.144)). This study further suggests that intensive physical training during youth should be considered as a factor to improve ageing and mortality risk parameters. ..
- Khashayar P, Qorbani M, Keshtkar A, Khashayar P, Ziaee A, Larijani B. Awareness of osteoporosis among female head of household: an Iranian experience. Arch Osteoporos. 2017;12:36 pubmed publisher..Considering the poor awareness level of the studied women and their poor practice of bone healthy behavior, one could conclude that more programs are needed or the content/delivery style of the existing ones should be optimized. ..
- Michishita R, Matsuda T, Kawakami S, Tanaka S, Kiyonaga A, Tanaka H, et al. The association between changes in lifestyle behaviors and the incidence of chronic kidney disease (CKD) in middle-aged and older men. J Epidemiol. 2017;27:389-397 pubmed publisher..02; 95% CI, 2.83-26.69 for unhealthy-unhealthy group). The results of the present study suggest that the lack of habitual moderate exercise, late-night dinner, and bedtime snacking may increase the risk of CKD. ..
- Pannu P, Calton E, Soares M. Calcium and Vitamin D in Obesity and Related Chronic Disease. Adv Food Nutr Res. 2016;77:57-100 pubmed publisher..Cementing the benefits of calcium and vitamin D for extraskeletal health needs a reexamination of the target 25(OH)D level to be achieved and the minimum duration of future trials. ..
- de Ferranti S, Rodday A, Parsons S, Cull W, O Connor K, Daniels S, et al. Cholesterol Screening and Treatment Practices and Preferences: A Survey of United States Pediatricians. J Pediatr. 2017;185:99-105.e2 pubmed publisher..Education regarding pediatric lipid disorders could promote guideline implementation. ..
- Lynes K, Kazmi S, Robery J, Wong S, Gilbert D, Thaha M. Public appreciation of lifestyle risk factors for colorectal cancer and awareness of bowel cancer screening: A cross-sectional study. Int J Surg. 2016;36:312-318 pubmed publisher..Those with a lower educational level also had poor awareness but felt that the NHS should not prescribe exercise and lifestyle change; targeting this group would need to take this into account. ..
- Larsson S, Traylor M, Malik R, Dichgans M, Burgess S, Markus H. Modifiable pathways in Alzheimer's disease: Mendelian randomisation analysis. BMJ. 2017;359:j5375 pubmed publisher..These results provide support that higher educational attainment is associated with a reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Beals J, Mackenzie R, van Vliet S, Skinner S, Pagni B, Niemiro G, et al. Protein-Rich Food Ingestion Stimulates Mitochondrial Protein Synthesis in Sedentary Young Adults of Different BMIs. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102:3415-3424 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that alterations in postprandial MPS are unlikely to contribute to compromised muscle macronutrient metabolism witnessed with obesity. ..
- Groessl E, Kaplan R, Castro Sweet C, Church T, Espeland M, Gill T, et al. Cost-effectiveness of the LIFE Physical Activity Intervention for Older Adults at Increased Risk for Mobility Disability. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2016;71:656-62 pubmed publisher..The ICERS are less than many commonly recommended medical treatments. Implementing the intervention in non-research settings may reduce costs further. ..
- Zhang Q, Zheng W, Li H, Gao J, Fang J, Gao L, et al. [The joint effects of major lifestyle factors on stomach cancer risk among Chinese men: a prospective cohort study]. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2017;51:386-392 pubmed publisher..93?0.89~0.97?????0~3??????????8~11??????rr?95%ci???0.64?0.47~0.87?? ??? ?????????????5???????????????????????????????????????????????????????1/3?hli????????????. ..
- Terasaki H, Yamashita T, Yoshihara N, Kii Y, Sakamoto T. Association of lifestyle and body structure to ocular axial length in Japanese elementary school children. BMC Ophthalmol. 2017;17:123 pubmed publisher..The body weight and parental myopia and westernized dietary habits are factors significantly associated with myopia. Changing from Japanese food style to westernized food style might increase the risk of progression of school myopia. ..
- Lowe R, Norman P, Sheeran P. Milieu matters: Evidence that ongoing lifestyle activities influence health behaviors. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179699 pubmed publisher..Considering ongoing lifestyle activities can enhance prediction and understanding of health behaviors and offer new targets for health behavior interventions. ..
- Mu J, Li Y, Wu Q, Yan L, Chen H. [Clinical observation on monovision of cataract surgery with different near addition]. Zhonghua Yan Ke Za Zhi. 2017;53:451-454 pubmed publisher..10 ?p=0.756??mv2???2?????????????????mv1???3??????????????????90%?mv2?1????????????????????????? ??? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????2017?53?451-454?. ..
- Due U, BrostrÃ¸m S, Lose G. The 12-month effects of structured lifestyle advice and pelvic floor muscle training for pelvic organ prolapse. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2016;95:811-9 pubmed publisher..At 12-month follow up, the effects of adding pelvic floor muscle training to a structured lifestyle advice program were limited. ..
- Cha S, Lim S, Kim K, Lee E, Kang B, Choi Y, et al. Community-based randomized controlled trial of diabetes prevention study for high-risk individuals of type 2 diabetes: lifestyle intervention using web-based system. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:387 pubmed publisher..Clinical Research Information Service (CRIS), Republic of Korea (No. KCT0001981 ). Date of registration; July 28, 2016. ..
- Skolnik N, Jaffa F, Kalyani R, Johnson E, Shubrook J. Reducing CV risk in diabetes: An ADA update. J Fam Pract. 2017;66:300-308 pubmed..This Q&A highlights changes to the ADA's 2017 Standards of Care to help you fine-tune your approach to patients who have, or are at risk for, atherosclerotic CV disease. ..
- Dionne J, Harris K, Benoit G, Feber J, Poirier L, Cloutier L, et al. Hypertension Canada's 2017 Guidelines for the Diagnosis, Assessment, Prevention, and Treatment of Pediatric Hypertension. Can J Cardiol. 2017;33:577-585 pubmed publisher..Consistent with Hypertension Canada's guideline policy, diagnostic and therapeutic algorithm tools will be developed and the guidelines will be reviewed annually and updated according to new evidence. ..
- Park S, Boushey C, Wilkens L, Haiman C, Le Marchand L. High-Quality Diets Associate With Reduced Risk of Colorectal Cancer: Analyses of Diet Quality Indexes in the Multiethnic Cohort. Gastroenterology. 2017;153:386-394.e2 pubmed publisher..Based on an analysis of data from the Multiethnic Cohort Study, high-quality diets are associated with a lower risk of colorectal cancer in most racial/ethnic subgroups. ..
- Upadhyay B, Katz S, Upadhyay A, Cherukuri S, Sule A. Sound mind vs sound heart. Br J Hosp Med (Lond). 2016;77:147-8, 169-71 pubmed publisher..This article highlights the multifactorial and bidirectional interaction between cardiovascular diseases, depression and anxiety, and the need for early assessment, diagnosis and intervention. ..
- Menotti A, Puddu P, Maiani G, Catasta G. Cardiovascular and other causes of death as a function of lifestyle habits in a quasi extinct middle-aged male population. A 50-year follow-up study. Int J Cardiol. 2016;210:173-8 pubmed publisher..67 (0.57-0.78) for all-cause deaths. Expectancy of life was 12 years longer for men with the 3 best behaviors than for those with the 3 worst behaviors. Some lifestyle habits are strongly related to lifetime mortality. ..
- Haire Joshu D, Tabak R. Preventing Obesity Across Generations: Evidence for Early Life Intervention. Annu Rev Public Health. 2016;37:253-71 pubmed publisher..The pathway for halting the intergenerational obesity epidemic requires the discovery and development of evidence-based interventions that can act across multiple dimensions of influence on early life. ..