Genomes and Genes
maternal fetal relations
Summary: The bond or lack thereof between a pregnant woman and her FETUS.
- Beghin D, Forestier F, Noel Hudson M, Gavard L, Guibourdenche J, Farinotti R, et al. Modulation of endocrine and transport functions in human trophoblasts by saquinavir and nelfinavir. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2010;152:55-9 pubmed publisher..9%) of P-gp, whereas nelfinavir only increased functionality (by 23.1%) with a dissociation of P-gp from caveolin-1. These results suggest that the effects of saquinavir and nelfinavir differ on trophoblast functions. ..
- Zabihi S, Wentzel P, Eriksson U. Altered uterine perfusion is involved in fetal outcome of diabetic rats. Placenta. 2008;29:413-21 pubmed publisher..Maternal diabetes causes decreased expression of anti-oxidative enzymes and enhanced angiogenesis in the offspring in rats. ..
- Roberts R, Chen Y, Ezashi T, Walker A. Interferons and the maternal-conceptus dialog in mammals. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2008;19:170-7 pubmed..Conceivably, disparate signaling mechanisms trigger common downstream events necessary to secure a successful pregnancy. ..
- Bellieni C, Ceccarelli D, Rossi F, Buonocore G, Maffei M, Perrone S, et al. Is prenatal bonding enhanced by prenatal education courses?. Minerva Ginecol. 2007;59:125-9 pubmed..PEC positively influenced prenatal attachment. More studies are needed to assess whether this may be useful for the development of the mother-infant relationship. ..
- Alder J, Fink N, Bitzer J, Hösli I, Holzgreve W. Depression and anxiety during pregnancy: a risk factor for obstetric, fetal and neonatal outcome? A critical review of the literature. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2007;20:189-209 pubmed..However, conclusions for women with mood or anxiety disorders are limited. ..
- Harris L, Paltrow L. MSJAMA. The status of pregnant women and fetuses in US criminal law. JAMA. 2003;289:1697-9 pubmed
- Shi L, Fatemi S, Sidwell R, Patterson P. Maternal influenza infection causes marked behavioral and pharmacological changes in the offspring. J Neurosci. 2003;23:297-302 pubmed..Therefore, maternal viral infection has a profound effect on the behavior of adult offspring, probably via an effect of the maternal immune response on the fetus. ..
- Hart R, McMahon C. Mood state and psychological adjustment to pregnancy. Arch Womens Ment Health. 2006;9:329-37 pubmed..Implications of these findings for intervention are also briefly discussed. ..
- Dipietro J, Ghera M, Costigan K. Prenatal origins of temperamental reactivity in early infancy. Early Hum Dev. 2008;84:569-75 pubmed publisher..These results support the presumption that early postnatal temperamental characteristics emerge during the prenatal period. ..
- Cannovo N, Agangi A, Sansone M, Buccelli P, Martinelli P. Ethic, medical and legal reflections about the fetal protection by a pregnant woman suffering, in comorbidity, from HIV infection. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2010;23:593-4 pubmed publisher..The Authors face the moral and professional dilemma of honouring a woman's intentions, or persuading her to interrupt her pregnancy to prevent damage to her health. ..
- Kumar R, Ouyang F, Story R, Pongracic J, Hong X, Wang G, et al. Gestational diabetes, atopic dermatitis, and allergen sensitization in early childhood. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009;124:1031-8.e1-4 pubmed publisher..The above associations were not observed in preterm births. In term births GDM increased the risk of atopic dermatitis and early childhood allergen sensitization independently of maternal prepregnancy body mass index and fetal growth. ..
- Dipietro J, Caulfield L, Irizarry R, Chen P, Merialdi M, Zavaleta N. Prenatal development of intrafetal and maternal-fetal synchrony. Behav Neurosci. 2006;120:687-701 pubmed..Fetal motor activity exhibited synchrony with both maternal electrodermal and heart rate activity. Implications for revealing fundamental properties of neural development prior to birth are discussed. ..
- Callahan S, Chervenak F, McCullough L. Ethics and fetal research. Med Ethics (Burlingt Mass). 2003;10:10-1 pubmed
- Hanson S. Engelhardt and children: the failure of libertarian bioethics in pediatric interactions. Kennedy Inst Ethics J. 2005;15:179-98 pubmed..Thus, the theory is incapable of determining the morally correct action to take in cases involving children and therefore is unhelpful in dealing with moral questions involving children. ..
- Yagyu S, Kuroda H, Fujiki A, Tamura S, Iehara T, Morimoto A, et al. Successful non-T-cell-depleted HLA-haploidentical 3-loci mismatched bone marrow transplantation. Eur J Haematol. 2005;74:529-32 pubmed..Our case suggests that non-TCD HLA-haploidentical 3-loci mismatched BMT can be safely performed from mother to offspring even when feto-maternal microchimerism is barely detectable with the current detection procedure. ..
- May W, Tonti Filippini N, Berkman J. The embryo rescue debate. Natl Cathol Bioeth Q. 2004;4:9-14 pubmed
- Williams C, Alderson P, Farsides B. Conflicting perceptions of the fetus: person, patient, 'nobody', commodity?. New Genet Soc. 2001;20:225-38 pubmed..This paper illustrates how sensitive health-care staff will need to be if they are indeed to respond to, rather than shape, women's constructions of their fetus. ..
- Mendes Junior C, Castelli E, Moreau P, Simoes A, Donadi E. Absence of the HLA-G*0113N allele in Amerindian populations from the Brazilian Amazon region. Hum Immunol. 2010;71:428-31 pubmed publisher..No copy of the G*0113N null allele was found in both population samples by exon 2 sequence-based analysis, reinforcing its restricted occurrence in Africa. ..
- Egliston K, McMahon C, Austin M. Stress in pregnancy and infant HPA axis function: conceptual and methodological issues relating to the use of salivary cortisol as an outcome measure. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2007;32:1-13 pubmed..Research in this area has been constrained by a number of measurement challenges unique to the assessment of cortisol in infants. This paper discusses these challenges with a view to stimulating further research in the area. ..
- Leonard L. Prenatal behavior of multiples: implications for families and nurses. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2002;31:248-55 pubmed..In addition, nurses now have a solid foundation on which to create and implement care strategies that promote the healthy development of each multiple-birth infant and the intermultiple relationship. ..
- Nilstun T, Lundqvist A, Lindroth M. [A check list makes ethical decisions in care of premature infants easier]. Lakartidningen. 2003;100:2046-9 pubmed
- Salisbury A, Law K, LaGasse L, Lester B. MSJAMA. Maternal-fetal attachment. JAMA. 2003;289:1701 pubmed
- Heer I, Kumper C, Vogtle N, Muller Egloff S, Dugas M, Strauss A. Analysis of factors influencing the ultrasonic fetal weight estimation. Fetal Diagn Ther. 2008;23:204-10 pubmed publisher..8-14 days) had a statistically significant impact. Of all known factors of influence, only a time interval of more than 7 days between estimation and delivery had a negative impact on the estimation. ..
- Alhusen J. A literature update on maternal-fetal attachment. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2008;37:315-28 pubmed publisher..Further research is essential to identify factors influencing maternal-fetal attachment. Specifically, research needs to be conducted on larger sample sizes of greater racial and ethnic diversity. ..
- Kurjak A, Miskovic B, Andonotopo W, Stanojevic M, Azumendi G, Vrcic H. How useful is 3D and 4D ultrasound in perinatal medicine?. J Perinat Med. 2007;35:10-27 pubmed
- Menezes A, Hallal P, Horta B. Early determinants of smoking in adolescence: a prospective birth cohort study. Cad Saude Publica. 2007;23:347-54 pubmed..Although the smoking prevalence was similar in boys and girls, risk factors for smoking were different between the sexes. Social environment appears to be the strongest predictor of tobacco use in adolescence. ..
- Alonso C. An ontological view of the human embryo. A paradigm. Eur J Endocrinol. 2004;151 Suppl 3:U17-24 pubmed..This way of thinking introduces new approaches to the analysis of the value of the human embryo with repercussions in the ethical discussions on research programs using embryonic stem cells. ..
- van Dis J. MSJAMA. The maternal-fetal relationship. JAMA. 2003;289:1696 pubmed
- Chelli D, Chanoufi B. [Fetal audition. Myth or reality]. J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris). 2008;37:554-8 pubmed publisher..The fetus can memorize not only his mother's voice but also more complex acoustic external sounds with a big ability of discrimination. Moreover, most studies strengthen the hypothesis of an implicit musical ability of the human brain. ..
- Ekstrom L. Inviting sex. Public Aff Q. 2004;18:187-204 pubmed
- Lambert B, Scheiner M, Campbell D. Ethical issues and addiction. J Addict Dis. 2010;29:164-74 pubmed publisher..The ethical dilemma arises from competing autonomy-based and beneficence-based obligations to the maternal-fetal dyad. This chapter explores the ethics-based conflicts in the delivery of health care to drug abusing pregnant women. ..
- Wollenschein M, Gustke M, Woopen C, Rohde A. [A subsequent pregnancy after a termination of pregnancy because of fetal anomaly--all forgotten and a new beginning?]. Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr. 2007;56:741-57 pubmed..If symptoms of distress are persisting there is an indication for additional care. The intention is to release the patient and to support a sound relationship between mother and child. ..
- Honjo S, Arai S, Kaneko H, Ujiie T, Murase S, Sechiyama H, et al. Antenatal depression and maternal-fetal attachment. Psychopathology. 2003;36:304-11 pubmed
- Boukydis C, Treadwell M, Delaney Black V, Boyes K, King M, Robinson T, et al. Women's responses to ultrasound examinations during routine screens in an obstetric clinic. J Ultrasound Med. 2006;25:721-8 pubmed..It may be an important component of more comprehensive prevention/intervention strategies. The implications for ultrasound consultation in clinical research and practice are discussed. ..
- Fischer J. Abortion, autonomy, and control over one's body. Soc Philos Policy. 2003;20:286-306 pubmed
- Brakman S, Scholz S. Adoption, ART, and a re-conception of the maternal body: toward embodied maternity. Hypatia. 2006;21:54-73 pubmed..Instead of universalizing claims about the maternal body, embodied maternity looks to communicable experiences and empathetic understanding. ..
- Berkman J. Reply to Tonti-Filippini on "Gestating the embryos of others". Natl Cathol Bioeth Q. 2003;3:660-4 pubmed
- Huang H, Wang S, Chen C. Body image, maternal-fetal attachment, and choice of infant feeding method: a study in taiwan. Birth. 2004;31:183-8 pubmed..Further research should incorporate maternal-fetal attachment into a supportive model of breastfeeding. ..
- Weinstock M. The potential influence of maternal stress hormones on development and mental health of the offspring. Brain Behav Immun. 2005;19:296-308 pubmed
- Porcaro C, Zappasodi F, Barbati G, Salustri C, Pizzella V, Rossini P, et al. Fetal auditory responses to external sounds and mother's heart beat: detection improved by Independent Component Analysis. Brain Res. 2006;1101:51-8 pubmed
- Kume H, Sasaki H, Kano Sueoka T. Serum ethanolamine and hepatocyte proliferation in perinatal and partially hepatectomized rats. Life Sci. 2006;79:1764-72 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggested that the levels of serum Etn might be regulated based on the physiological state of an animal, which consequently regulates the proliferation of hepatocytes. ..
- Harden C, Pennell P, Koppel B, Hovinga C, Gidal B, Meador K, et al. Management issues for women with epilepsy--focus on pregnancy (an evidence-based review): III. Vitamin K, folic acid, blood levels, and breast-feeding: Report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee and Therapeutics and Technology Assessment Subcommitt. Epilepsia. 2009;50:1247-55 pubmed..A paucity of evidence limited the strength of many recommendations. ..
- Shannon M, King T, Kennedy H. Allostasis: a theoretical framework for understanding and evaluating perinatal health outcomes. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2007;36:125-34 pubmed
- Satokari R, Gronroos T, Laitinen K, Salminen S, Isolauri E. Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus DNA in the human placenta. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2009;48:8-12 pubmed publisher..Although the newborn infant is considered immunologically immature, exposure by bacterial DNA may programme the infant's immune development during foetal life earlier than previously considered. ..
- Kumar V, Medhi B. Emerging role of uterine natural killer cells in establishing pregnancy. Iran J Immunol. 2008;5:71-81 pubmed publisher..In this review we are trying to summarize the role of uNK cells in the maintenance of normal pregnancy in humans. ..
- Peters J, Suglia S, Platts Mills T, Hosen J, Gold D, Wright R. Relationships among prenatal aeroallergen exposure and maternal and cord blood IgE: project ACCESS. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009;123:1041-6 pubmed publisher..23; 95% CI, 0.08-0.41). These results demonstrate that maternal prenatal exposure to household allergens may affect cord blood IgE, albeit the underlying mechanism may be allergen-specific. ..
- Sekizawa A, Purwosunu Y, Farina A, Okai T, Takabayashi H, Kita M, et al. Development of noninvasive fetal DNA diagnosis from nucleated erythrocytes circulating in maternal blood. Prenat Diagn. 2007;27:846-8 pubmed..4% of NRBCs in maternal blood were fetal in origin. We have successfully carried out a noninvasive prenatal DNA diagnosis of fetal gender by using galactose-specific lectin method and subsequent FISH analysis. ..
- Baston Buest D, Schanz A, Buest S, Fischer J, Kruessel J, Hess A. The embryo's cystatin C and F expression functions as a protective mechanism against the maternal proteinase cathepsin S in mice. Reproduction. 2010;139:741-8 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the observed decrease in CD3(+) cells leads to the hypothesis that cells of the cytotoxic T-cell group are down-regulated in the decidua to support the implantation and ensure the survival of the embryo. ..
- Dickens B, Cook R. Ethical and legal approaches to 'the fetal patient'. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2003;83:85-91 pubmed..Courts of law generally favor this approach, and tend to allow few limits on women's choice of indicated medical care while pregnant. ..
- Wadhwa P. Psychoneuroendocrine processes in human pregnancy influence fetal development and health. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2005;30:724-43 pubmed..A description of this body of work is followed by the elucidation of questions for further research and a discussion of implications for life-span development and health. ..