father child relations
Summary: Interaction between the father and the child.
- Bosmans G, Goossens L, Braet C. Attachment and weight and shape concerns in inpatient overweight youngsters. Appetite. 2009;53:454-6 pubmed publisher..This suggests that relationships with attachment figures should be taken into account when these youngsters require treatment for eating disorder symptoms. ..
- Kainz G, Eliasson M, von Post I. The child's father, an important person for the mother's well-being during the childbirth: a hermeneutic study. Health Care Women Int. 2010;31:621-35 pubmed publisher..The father's role during childbirth is also described in detail. ..
- MUNOZ LABOY M. Familism and sexual regulation among bisexual Latino men. Arch Sex Behav. 2008;37:773-82 pubmed publisher..The results of this study indicate that familism, as defined by familial support, emotional interconnectedness, and familial honor, shapes the sexual decisions of bisexual teenage and adult Latino men. ..
- Sheeber L, Davis B, Leve C, Hops H, Tildesley E. Adolescents' relationships with their mothers and fathers: associations with depressive disorder and subdiagnostic symptomatology. J Abnorm Psychol. 2007;116:144-54 pubmed..As well, the findings add to the emerging evidence that adolescents with subdiagnostic symptoms experience difficulties in social relationships similar to those experienced by adolescents with depressive disorder. ..
- Atzaba Poria N, Pike A. Correlates of parental differential treatment: parental and contextual factors during middle childhood. Child Dev. 2008;79:217-32 pubmed publisher..Controlling for sibling dyad characteristics, FDT was predicted most consistently by household chaos. Furthermore, single mothers were not at risk per se for using more MDT but only when coupled with high maternal anger. ..
- Nettle D, Coall D, Dickins T. Birthweight and paternal involvement predict early reproduction in British women: evidence from the National Child Development Study. Am J Hum Biol. 2010;22:172-9 pubmed publisher..We discuss our results with respect to the kinds of interventions likely to affect the rate of teen pregnancy. ..
- Benninghoven D, Tetsch N, Kunzendorf S, Jantschek G. Perceptual body image of patients with anorexia or bulimia nervosa and their fathers. Eat Weight Disord. 2007;12:12-9 pubmed..05). Body images of patients with eating disorders and their fathers are related in the group of patients with bulimia nervosa. Perhaps, body images of fathers should be addressed in family therapy with patients with bulimia nervosa. ..
- GUNLICKS M, Weissman M. Change in child psychopathology with improvement in parental depression: a systematic review. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2008;47:379-89 pubmed publisher..quot;parents," "offspring," "mother child relations," and "father child relations." The reference sections of identified articles were also examined for additional relevant articles...
- McMahon T, Winkel J, Rounsaville B. Drug abuse and responsible fathering: a comparative study of men enrolled in methadone maintenance treatment. Addiction. 2008;103:269-83 pubmed publisher..The findings highlight ways that drug abuse contributes to compromise of responsible fathering, and they raise questions about ways that the drug abuse treatment system might better address parenting as a treatment issue for men. ..
- Hautamäki A, Hautamäki L, Neuvonen L, Maliniemi Piispanen S. Transmission of attachment across three generations: Continuity and reversal. Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2010;15:347-54 pubmed publisher..We discuss the implications of these findings for theory development and clinical work. ..
- Menning C. Nonresident fathers' involvement and adolescents' smoking. J Health Soc Behav. 2006;47:32-46 pubmed..Implications for theory and public policy are discussed. ..
- Gopal S. What would I want if this were my father?. J Gen Intern Med. 2006;21:1121-2 pubmed
- Hurt E, Hoza B, Pelham W. Parenting, family loneliness, and peer functioning in boys with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2007;35:543-55 pubmed..Maternal warmth and power assertion were not significantly related to boys' peer functioning. We discuss these findings in the context of the processes by which parenting may affect the peer relationships of these children. ..
- Peterson C, Smorti A, Tani F. Parental influences on earliest memories. Memory. 2008;16:569-78 pubmed publisher..For women, the warmer the relationship with their mothers, the earlier their earliest memory. Results are discussed in terms of gendered parent-child interactions as well as McAdam's emergent life-story theory. ..
- Saleh M, Buzi R, Weinman M, Smith P. The nature of connections: young fathers and their children. Adolescence. 2005;40:513-23 pubmed..These findings may suggest that for young fathers, becoming more involved with their children is a process which can be facilitated by participating in a fatherhood program. ..
- Smetana J, Metzger A, Gettman D, Campione Barr N. Disclosure and secrecy in adolescent-parent relationships. Child Dev. 2006;77:201-17 pubmed..Greater trust, perceived obligations to disclose, and, for personal issues, more parental acceptance and psychological control predicted more disclosure and less secrecy. ..
- Nicholas D, Gearing R, McNeill T, Fung K, Lucchetta S, Selkirk E. Experiences and resistance strategies utilized by fathers of children with cancer. Soc Work Health Care. 2009;48:260-75 pubmed publisher..An emerging model is presented, as are implications for practice and recommendations. ..
- Li X, Huang X, Tan H, Liu A, Zhou J, Yang T. A study on the relationship between posttraumatic stress disorder in flood victim parents and children in Hunan, China. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2010;44:543-50 pubmed publisher..The rate of PTSD in 7-14-year-old children is 4.7% in areas in Hunan, China, who suffered from flooding in 1998. The possibility for children to develop PTSD is increased in families with PTSD parents. ..
- Sweet L, Darbyshire P. Fathers and breast feeding very-low-birthweight preterm babies. Midwifery. 2009;25:540-53 pubmed publisher..The active and positive contribution that fathers make towards preterm breast feeding should be acknowledged and encouraged. ..
- Berg C, Skinner M, Ko K, Butler J, Palmer D, Butner J, et al. The fit between stress appraisal and dyadic coping in understanding perceived coping effectiveness for adolescents with type 1 diabetes. J Fam Psychol. 2009;23:521-30 pubmed publisher..g., shared stressors together with collaborative coping). Stress and coping is embedded within a relational context and this context is useful in understanding the coping effectiveness of adolescents. ..
- Lindberg B, Axelsson K, Ohrling K. Adjusting to being a father to an infant born prematurely: experiences from Swedish fathers. Scand J Caring Sci. 2008;22:79-85 pubmed publisher..The results of this study have implications for nurses working with families who have children born prematurely. ..
- Borisenko J. Fatherhood as a personality development factor in men. Span J Psychol. 2007;10:82-90 pubmed..The absence of a father-figure is detrimental to child personality development. At the same time, fatherhood can be a factor of male personality development of the father. ..
- Adams R, Laursen B. The correlates of conflict: disagreement is not necessarily detrimental. J Fam Psychol. 2007;21:445-58 pubmed
- Gordon I, Zagoory Sharon O, Leckman J, Feldman R. Prolactin, Oxytocin, and the development of paternal behavior across the first six months of fatherhood. Horm Behav. 2010;58:513-8 pubmed publisher..Results point to the role of PRL and OT in the development of human fathering and underscore their differential relations with patterns of paternal care. ..
- Sheff D, Sheff N. One family's long road back. Interview by Nancy Shute. US News World Rep. 2008;144:56, 57-8 pubmed
- McElwain N, Halberstadt A, Volling B. Mother- and father-reported reactions to children's negative emotions: relations to young children's emotional understanding and friendship quality. Child Dev. 2007;78:1407-25 pubmed..Results partially support the notion that children benefit when parents differ in their reactions to children's emotions. ..
- Mitchell D, Hauser Cram P. Early childhood predictors of mothers' and fathers' relationships with adolescents with developmental disabilities. J Intellect Disabil Res. 2010;54:487-500 pubmed publisher..Second, helping families and children cope with and diminish problem behaviours is likely to yield multiple advantages for parents and children and deserves emphasis in early intervention and pre-school programmes. ..
- Terrance C, Plumm K, Little B. Maternal blame: battered women and abused children. Violence Against Women. 2008;14:870-85 pubmed publisher..Perceptions of maternal psychological stability were jeopardized as a function of the presence of wife abuse. Implications are discussed. ..
- Schachman K. Online fathering: the experience of first-time fatherhood in combat-deployed troops. Nurs Res. 2010;59:11-7 pubmed publisher..This information can set the stage for a healthy reunion, which may take place at military bases and within communities across the globe, and thus is of benefit to all nurses working with military families. ..
- Johnson A. Engaging fathers in the NICU: taking down the barriers to the baby. J Perinat Neonatal Nurs. 2008;22:302-6 pubmed publisher..This is a part of the ongoing nursing assessment that identifies family care needs and weaves interventions into the developmental plan of care. ..
- Benzies K, Magill Evans J, Harrison M, MacPhail S, Kimak C. Strengthening new fathers' skills in interaction with their 5-month-old infants: who benefits from a brief intervention?. Public Health Nurs. 2008;25:431-9 pubmed publisher..The program may prove useful in public health settings where implementing programs for fathers of infants is a priority. Future research needs to explore other predictors to identify fathers who will benefit from the program. ..
- Dave S, Sherr L, Senior R, Nazareth I. Associations between paternal depression and behaviour problems in children of 4-6 years. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2008;17:306-15 pubmed publisher..77% a major and other depressive syndrome, respectively). Major but not other paternal depressive syndrome was associated with an 8 and 36 times greater likelihood of child prosocial behaviour problems and peer problems respectively. ..
- Kavanaugh P. Wang Fo and an ethic of free association: poetic imagination, mythical stories, and moral philosophy. Psychoanal Rev. 2005;92:487-511 pubmed
- Chang H, Chang C, Lin C, Chan T, Shiau S. [The effect of family nursing on the lived experience of children living with schizophrenic fathers]. Hu Li Za Zhi. 2008;55:43-54 pubmed
- Keller P, Cummings E, Davies P, Mitchell P. Longitudinal relations between parental drinking problems, family functioning, and child adjustment. Dev Psychopathol. 2008;20:195-212 pubmed publisher..Findings are discussed in terms of family process models for relations between parental drinking and child adjustment problems. ..
- Urlic I, Agius M. The patient with schizophrenia and his father. The father's role and personality traits in the dynamics of the family with a son suffering from schizophrenia. Psychiatr Danub. 2007;19:154-72 pubmed..Among the conclusions reached, the phenomenon of "dead father" is emphasized as one of the main factors in the onset and development of schizophrenic disorder/disturbance. ..
- Knight E. Heroes. J Hosp Med. 2006;1:205-6 pubmed
- Condon J. What about dad? Psychosocial and mental health issues for new fathers. Aust Fam Physician. 2006;35:690-2 pubmed..This article concludes that the father-infant relationship is influenced by the partner relationship as well as the fathers psychological wellbeing. ..
- Castro F, Brook J, Brook D, Rubenstone E. Paternal, perceived maternal, and youth risk factors as predictors of youth stage of substance use a longitudinal study. J Addict Dis. 2006;25:65-75 pubmed
- Perel G, Peled E. The fathering of violent men: constriction and yearning. Violence Against Women. 2008;14:457-82 pubmed publisher..The discussion focuses on the meaning of fathering for abusive men, and possible applications for intervention are proposed. ..
- Davis R, Caldwell C, Clark S, Davis M. Depressive symptoms in nonresident african american fathers and involvement with their sons. Pediatrics. 2009;124:1611-8 pubmed publisher..6 [95% confidence interval: 1.1-5.9]). Paternal depressive symptoms may be an important, but modifiable, barrier for nonresident African American fathers willing to be more involved with their children. ..
- Kentner A, Abizaid A, Bielajew C. Modeling dad: animal models of paternal behavior. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2010;34:438-51 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes this information and provides a current view of a topic that needs further exploration. ..
- Låftman S. Parent presence and gender-typicalness of educational choice. Br J Sociol. 2008;59:757-82 pubmed publisher..However, what has not been noted in previous research is that this also applies to 'absent' fathers and, for boys, to stepfathers as well. ..
- König L, Gloger Tippelt G, Zweyer K. [Attachment behavior with respect to mothers and fathers and attachment representations in five and seven-year-old children]. Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr. 2007;56:445-62 pubmed..The findings did not confirm a stronger influence of the major attachment figure on the formation of the attachment representation. ..
- Nelms B. Fathers--helping them achieve their critical role. J Pediatr Health Care. 2007;21:143-5 pubmed
- Loehlin J, Horn J, Ernst J. Genetic and environmental influences on adult life outcomes: evidence from the Texas Adoption Project. Behav Genet. 2007;37:463-76 pubmed..Biologically related family members tended to be more similar in their life outcomes than biologically unrelated family members, suggesting that genes were playing an important role. ..
- Sandhu J, Kuprevich C. Nature vs. nurture: a case report. Del Med J. 2006;78:413-7 pubmed..We present this case to illustrate how genetic and environmental influences interact to impact normal developmental pathways. Has nature or nurture played the strongest role in the life of Mr. A.? ..
- Lomax J. Psychological birth of the human grandfather, sometimes a complicated delivery. Am J Psychiatry. 2005;162:1602-3 pubmed