Summary: The science dealing with the study of mental processes and behavior in man and animals.
- Igwe M, Bakare M, Agomoh A, Onyeama G, Okonkwo K. Factors influencing knowledge about childhood autism among final year undergraduate Medical, Nursing and Psychology students of University of Nigeria, Enugu State, Nigeria. Ital J Pediatr. 2010;36:44 pubmed publisher..Poor knowledge about childhood autism among final year medical, nursing and psychology students who would form tomorrow's child health care professionals can compromise early recognition and ..
- Schlomer G, Bauman S, Card N. Best practices for missing data management in counseling psychology. J Couns Psychol. 2010;57:1-10 pubmed publisherThis article urges counseling psychology researchers to recognize and report how missing data are handled, because consumers of research cannot accurately interpret findings without knowing the amount and pattern of missing data or the ..
- Ponterotto J. Qualitative research in multicultural psychology: philosophical underpinnings, popular approaches, and ethical considerations. Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol. 2010;16:581-9 pubmed publisherThis article reviews the current and emerging status of qualitative research in psychology. The particular value of diverse philosophical paradigms and varied inquiry approaches to the advancement of psychology generally, and ..
- Merkle E, Shaffer V. Binary recursive partitioning: background, methods, and application to psychology. Br J Math Stat Psychol. 2011;64:161-81 pubmed publisher..In this paper, we describe BRP methods in a detailed manner and illustrate their use in psychological research. We also provide R code for carrying out the methods. ..
- ..The 3rd looks for commonalities across categories commonly viewed as deeply different. The author concludes with a discussion of the implications and value of these 3 questions for each stage of the research process. ..
- Ferri de Barros J, Alencar M, Berchielli L, Castelhano Junior L. Headache among medical and psychology students. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2011;69:502-8 pubmed..To study headaches among students of medicine and psychology in a single university. This was a questionnaire-based survey of a cohort of students of medicine and psychology...
- Sohn S, Kocher J, Chute C, Savova G. Drug side effect extraction from clinical narratives of psychiatry and psychology patients. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2011;18 Suppl 1:i144-9 pubmed publisher..The system was tested in the domain of psychiatry and psychology. The rule-based system extracting side effects and causative drugs produced an F score of 0.80 (0...
- John L, Loewenstein G, Prelec D. Measuring the prevalence of questionable research practices with incentives for truth telling. Psychol Sci. 2012;23:524-32 pubmed publisher..This finding suggests that some questionable practices may constitute the prevailing research norm. ..
- Schueller S, Parks A. Disseminating self-help: positive psychology exercises in an online trial. J Med Internet Res. 2012;14:e63 pubmed publisherThe recent growth of positive psychology has led to a proliferation in exercises to increase positive thoughts, behaviors, and emotions...
- Cohen J. A power primer. Psychol Bull. 1992;112:155-9 pubmed
- Tiuraniemi J, Läärä R, Kyrö T, Lindeman S. Medical and psychology students' self-assessed communication skills: A pilot study. Patient Educ Couns. 2011;83:152-7 pubmed publisherThe purpose of this study was to describe how psychology and medical students assess their own competency and skills before and after training, in which role-play was used to teach interpersonal and communication skills...
- Toomela A. Travel into a fairy land: a critique of modern qualitative and mixed methods psychologies. Integr Psychol Behav Sci. 2011;45:21-47 pubmed publisher..in the pre-WWII continental Europe is philosophically and theoretically better grounded than the other methodologies that can be distinguished in psychology today. Future psychology should be based on structural-systemic methodology.
- Confer J, Easton J, Fleischman D, Goetz C, Lewis D, Perilloux C, et al. Evolutionary psychology. Controversies, questions, prospects, and limitations. Am Psychol. 2010;65:110-26 pubmed publisherEvolutionary psychology has emerged over the past 15 years as a major theoretical perspective, generating an increasing volume of empirical studies and assuming a larger presence within psychological science...
- Nahon S, Lahmek P, Saas C, Durance C, Olympie A, Lesgourgues B, et al. Socioeconomic and psychological factors associated with nonadherence to treatment in inflammatory bowel disease patients: results of the ISSEO survey. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2011;17:1270-6 pubmed publisher..In this large cohort of IBD patients, psychological distress and constraints related to treatment decrease adherence to treatment, while membership in a patients' association improves it. ..
- Heitz C, Hilfiker R, Bachmann L, Joronen H, Lorenz T, Uebelhart D, et al. Comparison of risk factors predicting return to work between patients with subacute and chronic non-specific low back pain: systematic review. Eur Spine J. 2009;18:1829-35 pubmed publisher..Psychosocial interventions might be more effective in subacute stages since a higher proportion of modifiable risk factors were identified in that group. ..
- Eastwick P. Beyond the pleistocene: using phylogeny and constraint to inform the evolutionary psychology of human mating. Psychol Bull. 2009;135:794-821 pubmed publisher..context and presents evidence that 2 adaptive workarounds played a critical role as Homo sapiens's mating psychology evolved...
- Roura M, Busza J, Wringe A, Mbata D, Urassa M, Zaba B. Barriers to sustaining antiretroviral treatment in Kisesa, Tanzania: a follow-up study to understand attrition from the antiretroviral program. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2009;23:203-10 pubmed publisher..Effectiveness and sustainability of ART roll-out could be strengthened by strategic intervention at different levels, with particular attention to community-level factors such as social networks' influence and support. ..
- Fairchild A, McQuillin S. Evaluating mediation and moderation effects in school psychology: a presentation of methods and review of current practice. J Sch Psychol. 2010;48:53-84 pubmed publisher..The utility of examining moderation and mediation effects in school psychology is described and current use of the analyses in applied school psychology research is reviewed and evaluated...
- Slade M. Mental illness and well-being: the central importance of positive psychology and recovery approaches. BMC Health Serv Res. 2010;10:26 pubmed publisher..The academic discipline of positive psychology is developing evidence-based interventions to improve well-being...
- Woodward W. Russian women emigrées in psychology: informal Jewish networks. Hist Psychol. 2010;13:111-37 pubmed..The characteristics of second-generation women in psychology seem to apply to this sample; they accepted applied or secondary positions in psychology or allied fields and ..
- Osafo J, Hjelmeland H, Akotia C, Knizek B. The meanings of suicidal behaviour to psychology students in Ghana: a qualitative approach. Transcult Psychiatry. 2011;48:643-59 pubmed publisherThe objective of this study was to examine psychology students' attitudes toward suicidal behaviour and the meanings they assign to the act...
- Yozwiak J, Robiner W, Victor A, Durmusoglu G. Videoconferencing at psychology internships: interns' perceptions of interactive television experiences and prospects. J Clin Psychol Med Settings. 2010;17:238-48 pubmed publisherThis article reviews the use and perceptions of videoconferencing in psychology internship training from the perspective of interns. Videoconferencing offers a means of expanding training beyond conventional on-site models...
- Omi Y. Tension between the theoretical thinking and the empirical method: is it an inevitable fate for psychology?. Integr Psychol Behav Sci. 2012;46:118-27 pubmed publisherThis paper will start from focusing on the limitations of quantitative approach in psychology from three viewpoints. First--data collection, especially experiments and questionnaires as two major methods of quantitative approach...
- Lilienfeld S, Ammirati R, David M. Distinguishing science from pseudoscience in school psychology: science and scientific thinking as safeguards against human error. J Sch Psychol. 2012;50:7-36 pubmed publisherLike many domains of professional psychology, school psychology continues to struggle with the problem of distinguishing scientific from pseudoscientific and otherwise questionable clinical practices...
- Bolhuis J, Brown G, RICHARDSON R, Laland K. Darwin in mind: new opportunities for evolutionary psychology. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1001109 pubmed publisherEvolutionary Psychology (EP) views the human mind as organized into many modules, each underpinned by psychological adaptations designed to solve problems faced by our Pleistocene ancestors...
- Køppe S. A moderate eclecticism: ontological and epistemological issues. Integr Psychol Behav Sci. 2012;46:1-19 pubmed publisherThe principle of eclecticism is discussed with the point of departure in a definition of psychology and its subject areas. It is argued that eclecticism constitutes one of the key developmental conditions for science...
- Bakker M, Wicherts J. The (mis)reporting of statistical results in psychology journals. Behav Res Methods. 2011;43:666-78 pubmed publisherIn order to study the prevalence, nature (direction), and causes of reporting errors in psychology, we checked the consistency of reported test statistics, degrees of freedom, and p values in a random sample of high- and low-impact ..
- Lilienfeld S. Public skepticism of psychology: why many people perceive the study of human behavior as unscientific. Am Psychol. 2012;67:111-29 pubmed publisherData indicate that large percentages of the general public regard psychology's scientific status with considerable skepticism. I examine 6 criticisms commonly directed at the scientific basis of psychology (e.g...
- Perea M. Why does the APA recommend the use of serif fonts?. Psicothema. 2013;25:13-7 pubmed publisher..There is no reason why the APA publication norms recommend the use of serif fonts other than uniformity in the elaboration/presentation of the manuscripts. ..
- van der Zwan Y, Callens N, van Kuppenveld J, Kwak K, Drop S, Kortmann B, et al. Long-term outcomes in males with disorders of sex development. J Urol. 2013;190:1038-42 pubmed publisher..Other aspects, such as overall body image and psychosexual functioning, showed no difference from controls. ..
- Frankenhuis W, Panchanathan K, Clark Barrett H. Bridging developmental systems theory and evolutionary psychology using dynamic optimization. Dev Sci. 2013;16:584-98 pubmed publisher..developmental systems theorists' focus on dynamics and contingency with the 'design stance' of evolutionary psychology. It provides a theoretical framework as well as a set of tools for exploring the properties of developmental ..
- Wylde V, Trela Larsen L, Whitehouse M, Blom A. Preoperative psychosocial risk factors for poor outcomes at 1 and 5 years after total knee replacement. Acta Orthop. 2017;88:530-536 pubmed publisher..However, none of the psychosocial variables were risk factors for a poor outcome at 5 years post-operative, suggesting that the negative effects of anxiety on outcome do not persist in the longer-term. ..
- O CONNOR K, Coon D, Malek Ahmadi M, Dugger B, Schofield S, Nieri W. Description and cohort characterization of the Longevity Study: learning from our elders. Aging Clin Exp Res. 2016;28:863-9 pubmed publisher..It also reflects on how exceptional aging individuals function psychosocially, cognitively and physically, particularly among individuals aged 85 and older. ..
- van Kempen J, Schers H, Melis R, Olde Rikkert M. Construct validity and reliability of a two-step tool for the identification of frail older people in primary care. J Clin Epidemiol. 2014;67:176-83 pubmed publisher..EASY-Care TOS correlated well with relevant physical and psychosocial measures. Accordingly, these results show that the EASY-Care TOS identifies patients who have a wide spectrum of interacting problems. ..
- Short S, Yang Y, Jenkins T. Sex, gender, genetics, and health. Am J Public Health. 2013;103 Suppl 1:S93-101 pubmed publisher..Such integration will advance understandings of gender differences in health, and may yield insight regarding the processes and circumstances that make genomic variation relevant for health and well-being. ..
- Pinto B, Dunsiger S, Farrell N, Marcus B, Todaro J. Psychosocial outcomes of an exercise maintenance intervention after phase II cardiac rehabilitation. J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev. 2013;33:91-8 pubmed publisher..A telephone-based intervention that helped maintain exercise showed statistically significant improvements in quality of life and reduced depressive symptoms in this patient population. ..
- Tripp D, Nickel J, Shoskes D, Koljuskov A. A 2-year follow-up of quality of life, pain, and psychosocial factors in patients with chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome and their spouses. World J Urol. 2013;31:733-9 pubmed publisher..These results provide further impetus for the development and implementation of mental health strategies alongside continued medical efforts in couples suffering from CP/CPPS. ..
- ..In effect, this is to say that aesthetic appreciation operates via extended cognitive systems. ..
- BinSaeed A, Torchyan A, Alsadhan A, Almidani G, Alsubaie A, Aldakhail A, et al. Determinants of asthma control among children in Saudi Arabia. J Asthma. 2014;51:435-9 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to investigate the role of these factors. ..
- Borkosky B, Smith D. The risks and benefits of disclosing psychotherapy records to the legal system: What psychologists and patients need to know for informed consent. Int J Law Psychiatry. 2015;42-43:19-30 pubmed publisher..Several recommendations for practice are described, including appropriate communications with attorneys and the legal system. A sample form, for use by psychotherapists, is included. ..
- Modern psychology is apparently in crisis and the prevailing view is that this partly reflects an inability to replicate past findings...
- Rubin A, Parrish D. Comparing social worker and non-social worker outcomes: a research review. Soc Work. 2012;57:309-20 pubmed..Implications are presented to guide NASW in promoting rigorous research comparing social workers and non-social workers on actual client outcomes, especially in the field of child welfare. ..
- Greene G. Description of a psychosocial assessment instrument and risk criteria to support social work recommendations for kidney transplant candidates. Soc Work Health Care. 2013;52:370-96 pubmed publisher..This article describes a kidney pre-transplant psychosocial assessment instrument that is supported by psychosocial risk criteria and a risk assessment clinical intervention plan. ..
- Brunskill D. Social media, social avatars and the psyche: is Facebook good for us?. Australas Psychiatry. 2013;21:527-32 pubmed publisher..Social avatars appear to be an important factor in understanding the inherent potential for social media to affect the psyche/contribute to psychopathology within the individual. ..
- Vartanian O, Kaufman J. Psychological and neural responses to art embody viewer and artwork histories. Behav Brain Sci. 2013;36:161-2 pubmed publisher..These considerations are consistent with data demonstrating that art perception is underwritten by dynamically reconfigured and evolutionarily adapted neural and psychological mechanisms. ..
- Ranallo P, Adam T, Nelson K, Krueger R, LaVenture M, Chute C. Psychological assessment instruments: a coverage analysis using SNOMED CT, LOINC and QS terminology. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2013;2013:1333-40 pubmed..Based on these findings, we recommend that systematic efforts be made to enhance standard healthcare terminologies to provide better coverage of this domain. ..
- Dunn D, Ehde D, Wegener S. The foundational principles as psychological lodestars: Theoretical inspiration and empirical direction in rehabilitation psychology. Rehabil Psychol. 2016;61:1-6 pubmed publisher..by Wright (1983) and others guided theory development, research and scholarship, and practice in rehabilitation psychology. In recent decades, these principles have become more implicit and less explicit or expressive in the writings ..
- Langdon D, Benedict R, Wicklein E, Beckmann K, Fredrikson S. Reports of patients and relatives from the CogniCIS study about cognition in clinically isolated syndrome: what are our patients telling us?. Eur Neurol. 2013;69:346-51 pubmed publisher..In CIS, patient and relative MSNQ scores are influenced by psychosocial variables rather than actual objective cognitive status. Formal cognitive test assessment is recommended for CIS patients. ..
- Ghekiere A, Van Cauwenberg J, Carver A, Mertens L, de Geus B, Clarys P, et al. Pyschosocial factors associated with children's cycling for transport: A cross-sectional moderation study. Prev Med. 2016;86:141-6 pubmed publisher..IM and parental norm (only among boys) were positively related to the time spent cycling. Targeting children, their friends and parents seems therefore most appropriate when aiming to increase children's transportation cycling. ..