Summary: A system of medicine which aims at discovering the exact nature of the relationship between the emotions and bodily function, affirming the principle that the mind and body are one.
- Blackwell E, de Leon C, Miller G. Applying mixed regression models to the analysis of repeated-measures data in psychosomatic medicine. Psychosom Med. 2006;68:870-8 pubmedAlthough repeated-measures designs are increasingly common in research on psychosomatic medicine, they are not well suited to the conventional statistical techniques that scientists often apply to them...
- Lockhart G, MacKinnon D, Ohlrich V. Mediation analysis in psychosomatic medicine research. Psychosom Med. 2011;73:29-43 pubmed publisherThis article presents an overview of statistical mediation analysis and its application to psychosomatic medicine research...
- Pieringer W, Meran J, Stix P, Fazekas C. [Psychosomatic medicine--historical models and current theories]. Wien Med Wochenschr. 2002;152:488-94 pubmedThe term psychosomatic medicine has two meanings: first it represents a specific scientific approach in medicine that encompasses methodologies from natural sciences as well as social and human sciences...
- Kiecolt Glaser J, McGuire L, Robles T, Glaser R. Psychoneuroimmunology and psychosomatic medicine: back to the future. Psychosom Med. 2002;64:15-28 pubmed..on human psychoneuroimmunology studies published since 1939, particularly those that have appeared in Psychosomatic Medicine. Studies were clustered according to key themes, including stressor duration and characteristics (..
- Lipsitt D. Consultation-liaison psychiatry and psychosomatic medicine: the company they keep. Psychosom Med. 2001;63:896-909 pubmed..1) to briefly describe the parallel historical developments of consultation-liaison (C-L) psychiatry and psychosomatic medicine [corrected]; 2) to analyze the extent to which the literature of C-L psychiatry and psychosomatic medicine ..
- Myers N, Brincks A, Ames A, Prado G, Penedo F, Benedict C. Multilevel modeling in psychosomatic medicine research. Psychosom Med. 2012;74:925-36 pubmed publisherThe primary purpose of this study is to provide an overview of multilevel modeling for Psychosomatic Medicine readers and contributors. The article begins with a general introduction to multilevel modeling...
- Weih M, Harms D, Rauch C, Segarra L, Reulbach U, Degirmenci U, et al. [Quality improvement of multiple choice examinations: in psychiatry, psychosomatic medicine, psychotherapy, and neurology]. Nervenarzt. 2009;80:324-8 pubmed publisher..planning, performance, and evaluation of multiple choice examination questions in psychiatry, neurology, psychosomatic medicine, and psychotherapy. We analyzed 640 multiple choice questions of 1,419 students during a period of 4 years...
- Fava G, Sonino N. The clinical domains of psychosomatic medicine. J Clin Psychiatry. 2005;66:849-58 pubmed..Search terms were psychosomatic, psychosomatic medicine, mind-body medicine, and biopsychosocial...
- Kimura T, Nakamura J. Health-related quality of life in outpatients of a psychosomatic medicine clinic: a pilot survey in Japan. Tokai J Exp Clin Med. 2004;29:135-41 pubmed..Or subjects with high HRQoL scores can be examined to determine whether they keep the same level of HRQoL. ..
- Wise T. Update on consultation-liaison psychiatry (psychosomatic medicine). Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2008;21:196-200 pubmed publisherCurrent issues in consultation-liaison psychiatry, which is now labeled psychosomatic medicine as a formal subspecialty by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, are discussed...
- Lane R, Waldstein S, Critchley H, Derbyshire S, Drossman D, Wager T, et al. The rebirth of neuroscience in psychosomatic medicine, Part II: clinical applications and implications for research. Psychosom Med. 2009;71:135-51 pubmed publisherDuring the second half of the last century, biopsychosocial research in psychosomatic medicine largely ignored the brain...
- Conner T, Barrett L. Trends in ambulatory self-report: the role of momentary experience in psychosomatic medicine. Psychosom Med. 2012;74:327-37 pubmed publisher..self-report techniques and discuss the unique role that ambulatory reports of momentary experience play in psychosomatic medicine. After a brief historical review of self-report techniques, we discuss the latest perspective that links ..
- Schwartz M, Wiggins O. Psychosomatic medicine and the philosophy of life. Philos Ethics Humanit Med. 2010;5:2 pubmed publisherBasing ourselves on the writings of Hans Jonas, we offer to psychosomatic medicine a philosophy of life that surmounts the mind-body dualism which has plagued Western thought since the origins of modern science in seventeenth century ..
- Buddeberg Fischer B, Buddeberg C. [Career promotion in psychosomatic medicine]. Z Psychosom Med Psychother. 2002;48:313-22 pubmedWe present a concept of career promotion in psychosomatic medicine. An analysis of the current guidelines and promotion practice indicates that both are poorly structured, not tailored to specific phases, and not sufficiently goal- and ..
- Ritz T, Dahme B. Implementation and interpretation of respiratory sinus arrhythmia measures in psychosomatic medicine: practice against better evidence?. Psychosom Med. 2006;68:617-27 pubmed..Only a minority of studies published in Psychosomatic Medicine in recent years has implemented precautions for controlling respiration rate in RSA measures, and tidal ..
- Mészáros J. Contribution of Hungarian psychoanalysts to psychoanalytic psychosomatics. Am J Psychoanal. 2009;69:207-20 pubmed publisher..I explore the work of Sándor Ferenczi, Lajos Lévy and Mihály Bálint among others, and the attraction between avant garde Hungarian intellectuals-mainly writers influenced by Ferenczi--and Georg Groddeck. ..
- Shorter E. A brief history of placebos and clinical trials in psychiatry. Can J Psychiatry. 2011;56:193-7 pubmed..In addition, there is evidence that in the hands of the pharmaceutical industry, the scientific integrity of RCTs themselves has been degraded into a marketing device. The once-powerful placebo is thus threatened with extinction. ..
- Niemeier V, Kupfer J, Al Abesie S, Schill W, Gieler U. [From neuropeptides and cytokines to psychotherapy. Skin diseases between psychoneuroimmunology research and psychosomatic treatment]. Forsch Komplementarmed. 1999;6 Suppl 2:14-8 pubmed..Retrospective studies, serial analyses over time and psychotherapeutic evaluation studies were able to demonstrate even more clearly that emotional factors influence the course of ND. ..
- Lipowski Z. Consultation-liaison psychiatry: an overview. Am J Psychiatry. 1974;131:623-30 pubmed
- Diefenbacher A. Consultation-liaison psychiatry in Germany. Adv Psychosom Med. 2004;26:1-19 pubmed
- Kahn D, Bourgeois J, Klein S, Iosif A. A prospective observational study of decisional capacity determinations in an academic medical center. Int J Psychiatry Med. 2009;39:405-15 pubmed..of this observational study were to clarify and categorize decisional capacity assessments performed by a psychosomatic medicine (PSM) consult service at an academic medical center...
- Ventegodt S, Merrick J, Anderson N. Quality of life as medicine: a pilot study of patients with chronic illness and pain. ScientificWorldJournal. 2003;3:520-32 pubmed..It is not known if these changes will be permanent and if all kinds of patients with different health problems will gain from this cure. Further research should be conducted. ..
- Heuft G, Hildenbrand G, Cuntz U. [The hospital financing frame regulation, psychiatric OPS figures and new reimbursement ordinance for psychosomatic medicine and psychotherapy as well as psychiatry and psychotherapy]. Z Psychosom Med Psychother. 2010;56:86-105 pubmed..This paper presents the new Psych-Procedures (Psych-OPS) together with first instructions on coding procedures. ..
- Yu T, Tsai H, Hwang M. Suppressing tumor progression of in vitro prostate cancer cells by emitted psychosomatic power through Zen meditation. Am J Chin Med. 2003;31:499-507 pubmed..The emitted bioenergy may be suggested as an alternative and feasible approach for cancer research and patient treatment. ..
- Fritze J. [No further total inpatient services for psychosomatic medicine required]. Versicherungsmedizin. 2003;55:92 pubmed
- Ventegodt S, Merrick J. The life mission theory IV. Theory on child development. ScientificWorldJournal. 2003;3:1294-301 pubmed..Education of the parent in holding is often mandatory. Most children with bad thriving ability can thus be helped by simple means. ..
- Kollner V, Gahn G, Kallert T, Felber W, Reichmann H, Dieter P, et al. [Teaching of psychosomatic medicine and psychotherapy as an element of the Dresden DIPOL-Curriculum -- the PBL-course "Nervous system" and psyche]. Psychother Psychosom Med Psychol. 2003;53:47-55 pubmed..b>Psychosomatic Medicine is taught together with neurology and psychiatry as a major topic of the 7,5-week PBL-course "Nervous ..
- Nakao M, Barsky A, Kumano H, Kuboki T. Relationship between somatosensory amplification and alexithymia in a Japanese psychosomatic clinic. Psychosomatics. 2002;43:55-60 pubmed..Somatosensory amplification appears to be associated with difficulties identifying and describing feelings, not externally oriented thinking, in Japanese patients. ..
- Holland J. Improving the human side of cancer care: psycho-oncology's contribution. Cancer J. 2001;7:458-71 pubmed..Our present body of information rests on a large database of research. Implementation of what we know now could greatly improve the psychological well-being and quality of life of patients with cancer. ..
- Herzog W. [Integrated health service research of the epiphenomenon (IVF-E)--paradigm shift or Dölle's wine in new skins?]. Psychother Psychosom Med Psychol. 2011;61:e53-6 pubmed publisherThe meaning of epiphenomenalism for psychosomatic medicine and psychotherapy is analyzed. It may be concluded that Ernst-August Dölle was one of the first researchers to describe and to use the Alpha and Omega of epiphenomenalism.
- Last B, Grootenhuis M, Eiser C. International comparison of contributions to psychosocial research on survivors of childhood cancer: past and future considerations. J Pediatr Psychol. 2005;30:99-113 pubmed..More attention should be focused on development of interventions for survivors in the future. ..
- Sandweg R, Bernardy K, Riedel H. [Predictors of therapeutic success in inpatient psychosomatic rehabilitation of musculo-skeletal diseases]. Psychother Psychosom Med Psychol. 2001;51:394-402 pubmed..Long-term success was predicted by improved well-being, an improvement of understanding between physician and patient and by decreased depressive symptoms in the course of treatment. ..
- Brunnhuber S, Michalsen A. [On the relationship of psychosomatic and mind-body medicine: integrative, complementary or alternative disciplines within an evolutionary approach?]. Forsch Komplementmed. 2012;19:86-92 pubmed publisherThe text outlines the relation between psychosomatic medicine as an established medical discipline and the emerging concept of mind-body medicine from a historical, clinical and epistemological perspective...
- Pauen M. [Free will: scientific and philosophical issues]. Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr. 2006;74:191-3 pubmed
- Barolin G, Odehnal S, Kurz H. [Psychotherapeutic medicine]. Wien Med Wochenschr. 2005;155:515-6 pubmed
- Schmidt E. The Berlin tradition in Chicago: Franz Alexander and the Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis. Psychoanal Hist. 2010;12:69-83 pubmed..He was also a researcher in psychosomatic medicine, a prolific writer about psychoanalysis and prominent in psychoanalytic organizations...
- Decker O, Brahler E. [Publication practices of academics in medical psychology and in psychosomatics and psychotherapy]. Psychother Psychosom Med Psychol. 2001;51:288-95 pubmed..Results regarding this are presented and discussed. ..
- Hayward R. Enduring emotions: James L. Halliday and the invention of the psychosocial. Isis. 2009;100:827-38 pubmed..Halliday to examine how debates over the ontological status of the emotions and their durability allow them to travel between individual identity and political economy, making possible new kinds of psychological intervention. ..
- Gitlin D. Education and training in psychosomatic medicine. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2004;12:298-301 pubmed
- Heller M. [Marc Archinard and human interaction]. Rev Med Suisse. 2005;1:376-8 pubmed
- Vasil eva O, Kapustina E, Korol kov V. [Psychosomatic evaluation of primates with the use of a psychomotor testing system]. Aviakosm Ekolog Med. 2003;37:55-9 pubmed..Based on the analysis of experimental data, a significant variability in achievement and emotional behavior of the primates should be attributed to different types of the nervous system. ..
- Jones E, Wessely S. Hearts, guts and minds: somatisation in the military from 1900. J Psychosom Res. 2004;56:425-9 pubmed..Rather there was a change in physical focus from the heart to the gut as new medical priorities arose. ..
- J Boschan P. Body, mind and bonds. Am J Psychoanal. 2007;67:235-48 pubmed
- Gieler U. Psychodermatology. Eur J Dermatol. 2007;17:106-7 pubmed
- Diefenbacher A. Psychiatry and psychosomatic medicine in Germany: lessons to be learned?. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2005;39:782-94 pubmed..Lack of empirical evidence prevents objective assessment of the advantages and/or shortcomings of this two-stranded system, but its existence may sharpen the ongoing debate about how C-L services should be structured in other countries. ..
- Huy P. What should a primitive surgeon know about Menière's patients?. Otol Neurotol. 2006;27:1-3 pubmed
- Kreipe R. The biopsychosocial approach to adolescents with somatoform disorders. Adolesc Med Clin. 2006;17:1-24 pubmed..quot; The biopsychosocial approach offers a means of working toward healing the whole person, and the focus of this article is on practical solutions to difficult challenges that are presented by adolescents and their families. ..
- Heuft G, Cuntz U. [Actual situation: Psychosomatic and psychotherapeutic medicine goes DRG]. Z Psychosom Med Psychother. 2003;49:431-440 pubmed
- Heru A. Improving marital quality in women with medical illness: integration of evidence-based programs into clinical practice. J Psychiatr Pract. 2010;16:297-305 pubmed publisher..how to apply findings from family research concerning outcomes of medical illness is especially important for psychiatrists who practice psychosomatic medicine. This article outlines how such findings can be applied in clinical practice.
- Leentjens A, Rundell J, Diefenbacher A, Kathol R, Guthrie E. Psychosomatic medicine and consultation-liaison psychiatry: scope of practice, processes, and competencies for psychiatrists working in the field of CL psychiatry or psychosomatics. [corrected] A consensus statement of the European Association of Con. Psychosomatics. 2011;52:19-25 pubmed publisher..Association of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry and Psychosomatics (EACLPP) [corrected] and the Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine (APM) Council commissioned the creation of a task force to study consensus-based summaries of core roles, ..
- Häuser W, Biewer W, Gesmann M, Kühn Becker H, Petzke F, Wilmoswky H, et al. A comparison of the clinical features of fibromyalgia syndrome in different settings. Eur J Pain. 2011;15:936-41 pubmed publisher..We tested the hypothesis by comparing FMS-patients from a general population sample and different clinical settings...