Summary: The medical science that deals with the origin, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of mental disorders in children.
- Jensen P, Youngstrom E, Steiner H, Findling R, Meyer R, Malone R, et al. Consensus report on impulsive aggression as a symptom across diagnostic categories in child psychiatry: implications for medication studies. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007;46:309-22 pubmed..Derived from scientific evidence and clinical experience, these consensus-driven recommendations can guide the design of future studies. ..
- Storck M, Stoep A. Fostering ecologic perspectives in child psychiatry. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2007;16:133-63, ix-x pubmed..Training tools and strategies are offered for building insightful, respectful and convivial co-investigator partnerships with patients and their families. ..
- Dyck M, Piek J, Patrick J. The validity of psychiatric diagnoses: the case of 'specific' developmental disorders. Res Dev Disabil. 2011;32:2704-13 pubmed publisher..There was no evidence of zones of rarity between disorders. Rather, with the exception of mental retardation, the results imply there are no natural boundaries between disorders or between disorders and normality. ..
- Zerby S. Using the science fiction film invaders from Mars in a child psychiatry seminar. Acad Psychiatry. 2005;29:316-21 pubmed..Commercial films have been used as teaching aids in child psychiatry seminars...
- Goodman R. The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire: a research note. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 1997;38:581-6 pubmed
- Connor D, McLaughlin T, Jeffers Terry M, O Brien W, Stille C, Young L, et al. Targeted child psychiatric services: a new model of pediatric primary clinician--child psychiatry collaborative care. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2006;45:423-34 pubmed..Because child psychiatry services are frequently unavailable, primary care clinicians are frequently left managing these children ..
- Martin V, Bennett D, Pitale M. Medical students' perceptions of child psychiatry: pre- and post-psychiatry clerkship. Acad Psychiatry. 2005;29:362-7 pubmed..Implications for the recruitment of medical students into CAP are discussed, including the potential importance of exposing students to diverse patient populations and requiring a CAP experience during the clerkship. ..
- Meyer T, Kossmann Böhm S, Schlottke P. Do child psychiatrists in Germany diagnose bipolar disorders in children and adolescents? Results from a survey. Bipolar Disord. 2004;6:426-31 pubmed..g. misdiagnoses, overlooking comorbidity or referral strategies. Epidemiological studies are needed and should consider multiple follow-ups. ..
- Albayrak O, Föcker M, Wibker K, Hebebrand J. Bibliometric assessment of publication output of child and adolescent psychiatric/psychological affiliations between 2005 and 2010 based on the databases PubMed and Scopus. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2012;21:327-37 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate a sharp difference between countries with a high versus low GDP with regard to scientific publication output in child and adolescent psychiatry/psychology. ..
- Lempp T, Heinzel Gutenbrunner M, Bachmann C. Child and adolescent psychiatry: which knowledge and skills do primary care physicians need to have? A survey in general practitioners and paediatricians. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2016;25:443-51 pubmed publisher..Therefore, medical education in CAP should be amended to reflect the needs of PCPs to improve healthcare for children and adolescents with mental health problems. ..
- Kataoka S, Novins D, DECARLO SANTIAGO C. The practice of evidence-based treatments in ethnic minority youth. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2010;19:775-89 pubmed publisher..However, this article highlights the need to deliver evidence-based practice, which is defined as the implementation of EBTs delivered with fidelity and with the integration of important cultural systems and community factors. ..
- Rous E, Clark A. Child psychoanalytic psychotherapy in the UK National Health Service: an historical analysis. Hist Psychiatry. 2009;20:442-56 pubmed..The profession is beginning to develop the social profile of a scientific discipline. We conclude that child psychoanalytic psychotherapy does not consistently demonstrate features of a declining scientific paradigm. ..
- Herpertz Dahlmann B, Wille N, Hölling H, Vloet T, Ravens Sieberer U. Disordered eating behaviour and attitudes, associated psychopathology and health-related quality of life: results of the BELLA study. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2008;17 Suppl 1:82-91 pubmed publisher..Disordered eating behaviour is associated with a wide range of psychopathological and psychosocial concerns. Thus, youngsters engaging in disordered eating behaviour should also be explored for other serious mental or social problems. ..
- Windfuhr K, While D, Hunt I, Turnbull P, Lowe R, Burns J, et al. Suicide in juveniles and adolescents in the United Kingdom. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2008;49:1155-65 pubmed publisher..This is concerning because young males have the highest suicide rate in the UK. Suicide prevention in young people is likely to require a multi-agency approach. ..
- Van Cleave J, Leslie L. Approaching ADHD as a chronic condition: implications for long-term adherence. J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv. 2008;46:28-37 pubmed..Each of these is discussed, and an individual example is described. Adopting the Chronic Care Model for Child Health has the potential to improve the quality of care for ADHD. ..
- Karabekiroglu K, Dogangun B, Herguner S, von Salis T, Rothenberger A. Child and adolescent psychiatry training in Europe: differences and challenges in harmonization. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2006;15:467-75 pubmed
- Engqvist U, Rydelius P. Child and adolescent psychiatric patients and later criminality. BMC Public Health. 2007;7:221 pubmed
- Ehrlich S, Stegemann T. [Young Investigators in Biological child and adolescent psychiatry (YIBcap)--insights after one year of networking]. Z Kinder Jugendpsychiatr Psychother. 2007;35:59-63 pubmed..Increasingly positive results within the first year let us hope to be able to establish a forum that can contribute to improving scientific output and to encouraging young investigators in child and adolescent psychiatry. ..
- Thomas T, Stansifer L, Findling R. Psychopharmacology of pediatric bipolar disorders in children and adolescents. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2011;58:173-87, xii pubmed publisher..Despite these new advances, further placebo-controlled trials investigating the efficacy and safety of pharmacologic treatment strategies for young people with bipolar disorder are still needed. ..
- Kölch M, Schnoor K, Fegert J. The EU-regulation on medicinal products for paediatric use: impacts on child and adolescent psychiatry and clinical research with minors. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007;16:229-35 pubmed..The regulation makes it necessary for child and adolescent psychiatry to strengthen research in clinical trials and developmental psychopharmacology to get benefits from new legislation and improve health care for mentally ill minors. ..
- Williams R, Fulford K. Evidence-based and values-based policy, management and practice in child and adolescent mental health services. Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2007;12:223-42 pubmed..Our article concludes by indicating some of the areas for further development of values-based practice. ..
- ..It highlights the role of supervision and specifically advocates for the expansion of consultation/liaison psychiatry services. ..
- Wilkinson P. Non-suicidal self-injury. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2013;22 Suppl 1:S75-9 pubmed publisher..We agree that while suicidal and non-suicidal self-harm are often seen together, they are not the same behaviour and that it is both valid and useful to separate them. ..
- Hodapp R, Dykens E. Intellectual disabilities and child psychiatry: looking to the future. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2009;50:99-107 pubmed publisherWe begin this article by examining the role of intellectual disabilities within child psychiatry, highlighting the relatively steady role of disabilities and the recent movement to examine behavior in specific genetic syndromes...
- Hilt R, Romaire M, McDonell M, Sears J, Krupski A, Thompson J, et al. The Partnership Access Line: evaluating a child psychiatry consult program in Washington State. JAMA Pediatr. 2013;167:162-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, PAL was associated with increased use of outpatient mental health care for some children. ..
- Josephson A. Reinventing family therapy: teaching family intervention as a new treatment modality. Acad Psychiatry. 2008;32:405-13 pubmed publisher..Contemporary education should teach that family interventions are not optional but ideally can be integrated with other interventions in a sequential manner, emphasizing the interrelationship between self and system. ..
- Alessi N, Alessi V. New media and an ethics analysis model for child and adolescent psychiatry. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2008;17:67-92, ix pubmed..To aid in the application of the system of thought we provide a structured system of ethical analysis. Through these, we hope that this issue can be looked at with increased clarity and guidance within a framework for future thought. ..
- Skilling G, Robinson J, Fielding S. A survey of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder follow-up services provided by child and adolescent psychiatry departments in Scotland. Scott Med J. 2008;53:12-4 pubmed..Further research on the effects on prognosis and outcome of designated ADHD services would allow for the enhancement of current clinical guidelines and more effective service planning and provision. ..
- Brookman Frazee L, Haine R, Garland A. Innovations: child and adolescent psychiatry: measuring outcomes of real-world youth psychotherapy: whom to ask and what to ask?. Psychiatr Serv. 2006;57:1373-5 pubmed..The results highlight the complexities in measuring the impact of care and indicate the need to develop more feasible methods to measure multidimensional outcomes. ..
- Hunt J, Stubbe D, Hanson M, Al Mateen C, Cuccio A, Dingle A, et al. A 2-year progress report of the AACAP-Harvard Macy Teaching Scholars Program. Acad Psychiatry. 2008;32:414-9 pubmed publisher..Thirteen child psychiatry faculty have graduated from the AACAP-Harvard Macy Teaching Scholars Program (HMTSP)...
- Kumbier E, Hässler F. [50 years of Child Neuropsychiatry at Rostock University]. Z Kinder Jugendpsychiatr Psychother. 2010;38:155-60 pubmed publisher..namely Franz Günther von Stockert (1899-1967) and Gerhard Göllnitz (1920-2003), on the path Rostock child psychiatry followed...
- Ichikawa H. [Introduction to child and adolescent psychiatry]. Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi. 2013;115:670-5 pubmed..In child and adolescent psychiatry, multi professional staff, such as doctors, nurses, clinical psychologists, psycho-social-workers, and school teachers, need to collaborate with each other for effective treatment. ..
- Penska K, Michael R, Messer S, Smith R, Black N, Cozza S. Therapeutic alliance building during the child psychiatric intake: does VTC make a difference?. Mil Med. 2012;177:541-5 pubmed
- Miyamoto N. [Pediatric views on child psychiatry]. Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi. 2008;110:302-6 pubmed
- Rye N. Play therapy as a mental health intervention for children and adolescents. J Fam Health Care. 2008;18:17-9 pubmed..Qualified play therapists work in, or undertake work for, Child and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMH) services, Children's Services (Social Care), schools, and voluntary sector agencies. ..
- Walker J, Bruns E. Building on practice-based evidence: using expert perspectives to define the wraparound process. Psychiatr Serv. 2006;57:1579-85 pubmed
- Lehmkuhl U. [Guidelines for cooperation between the child and adolescent psychiatry specialty, psychosomatic medicine and psychotherapy and the pharmaceutical industry]. Z Kinder Jugendpsychiatr Psychother. 2006;34:303-5 pubmed
- Cadiot F, Verdoux H. [Patient therapeutic education in psychiatry. A survey of practice in Aquitaine public hospitals]. Encephale. 2013;39:205-11 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that implementation of further patient education programs should be encouraged and that formation of further professionals is a priority. ..
- Galanter C, Nikolov R, Green N, Naidoo S, Myers M, Merlino J. Direct Supervision in Outpatient Psychiatric Graduate Medical Education. Acad Psychiatry. 2016;40:157-63 pubmed publisher..More research is needed on the implementation of, indications for, and effects of direct supervision on trainee education and on patient outcomes. ..
- Steiner H, Remsing L. Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with oppositional defiant disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2007;46:126-41 pubmed..Oppositionality and associated types of aggressive behavior are among the most common referral problems in child psychiatry. Grouped among the disruptive behavior disorders, ODD is frequently comorbid with other psychiatric ..
- Zito J. Pharmacoepidemiology: recent findings and challenges for child and adolescent psychopharmacology. J Clin Psychiatry. 2007;68:966-7 pubmed
- Rosenberg E, DeMaso D. A doubtful guest: managed care and mental health. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2008;17:53-66, viii-ix pubmed..The article concludes by noting that the only way to effect meaningful change in the health care system is to combine knowledge with advocacy and to proactively define the standards needed to make the necessary choices. ..
- Minto S, Dawson D, Davies M, Yearley P. A lifeline for families. Interview by Carol Davis. Nurs Stand. 2008;22:18-20 pubmed..Eating disorders are becoming more common among younger children, including boys. Nurses in specialist units offer a lifeline. ..
- Manchester A. Strengthening children's emotional and mental health and wellbeing. Nurs N Z. 2006;12:16-7 pubmed
- Scahill L, Koenig K, Carroll D, Pachler M. Risperidone approved for the treatment of serious behavioral problems in children with autism. J Child Adolesc Psychiatr Nurs. 2007;20:188-90 pubmed
- Poustka F. [Guidelines for diagnosis and therapy, 3rd edition]. Z Kinder Jugendpsychiatr Psychother. 2007;35:167-8 pubmed
- Southall A. Enough's enough: conversations with myself and other practitioners. Clin Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2009;14:481-94 pubmed publisher..Perceptual Control and general systemic theories may help provide a framework in which to understand the dynamic forces at work that maintain the clinical and senior management groups in a state of perpetual conflict. ..
- Abeles P, Danquah A, Wadge M, Hodgkinson P, Holmes E. Measuring patient dependency in child and adolescent mental health. Br J Nurs. 2007;16:1064-72 pubmed..This article identifies the need to develop a measure of inpatient dependency that is specifically designed for these services, and outlines a tool that the authors have recently designed. ..
- Shatkin J, Koplewicz H. The Child and Adolescent Mental Health Studies (CAMS) Minor at New York University. Acad Psychiatry. 2008;32:438-45 pubmed publisher..of Psychiatry and Child and Adolescent Psychiatry) can have a positive impact on undergraduate student education, which may later translate into an increased number of students who consider entering medical school and child psychiatry.
- Dalgaard N, Montgomery E. Disclosure and silencing: A systematic review of the literature on patterns of trauma communication in refugee families. Transcult Psychiatry. 2015;52:579-93 pubmed publisher..Future research needs to address the culturally shaped variations in modulated disclosure and further explore how modulated disclosure can be facilitated in family therapy with traumatized refugee families. ..
- Yuko K. Child and adolescent psychiatric training--the American model. Seishin Shinkeigaku Zasshi. 2008;110:307 pubmed