Summary: The stages of development of the psychological aspects of sexuality from birth to adulthood; i.e., oral, anal, genital, and latent periods.
- Thyen U, Krege S. [DSD/intersexuality network. A project in the BMBF program for rare diseases]. Urologe A. 2007;46:1304-6 pubmed
- Elliott Pascal A. 'About Indians and Eskimos ...'. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol. 2006;27:1-3 pubmed
- Spinola Castro A. [Importance of ethical and psychological features in the intersex management]. Arq Bras Endocrinol Metabol. 2005;49:46-59 pubmed..The work is done with families by multidisciplinary teams in order to offer a more adequate psychosocial orientation to intersex patients, but all the steps on how to achieve those aims are not known yet. ..
- Christie D, Viner R. Adolescent development. BMJ. 2005;330:301-4 pubmed
- Jürgensen M, Hampel E, Hiort O, Thyen U. "Any decision is better than none" decision-making about sex of rearing for siblings with 17beta-hydroxysteroid-dehydrogenase-3 deficiency. Arch Sex Behav. 2006;35:359-71 pubmed..Second, we assessed the gender role behavior and gender identity in the children to examine if the psychosexual development of these children correspond with the sex of rearing their parents chose...
- Leaper C. Research in developmental psychology on gender and relationships: reflections on the past and looking into the future. Br J Dev Psychol. 2011;29:347-56 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the role of the larger social-structural context is addressed in studies of sexism and gender bias during childhood and adolescence. Recommendations for future research are offered. ..
- DeLamater J, Friedrich W. Human sexual development. J Sex Res. 2002;39:10-4 pubmed..This diversity contributes to the vitality of society. Although changes in sexual functioning in later life are common, sexual interest and desire may continue until death. ..
- Mustanski B, Chivers M, Bailey J. A critical review of recent biological research on human sexual orientation. Annu Rev Sex Res. 2002;13:89-140 pubmed..We conclude with an examination of the limitations of biological research on sexual orientation, including measurement issues (paper and pencil, cognitive, and psychophysiological), and lack of research on women. ..
- Needham B, Austin E. Sexual orientation, parental support, and health during the transition to young adulthood. J Youth Adolesc. 2010;39:1189-98 pubmed publisher..Interventions designed to strengthen relationships between LGB young adults and their parents could lead to a reduction in health disparities related to sexual orientation. ..
- Gediman H. Premodern, modern, and postmodern perspectives on sex and gender mixes. J Am Psychoanal Assoc. 2005;53:1059-78 pubmed
- Cardoso F. Cultural universals and differences in male homosexuality: the case of a Brazilian fishing village. Arch Sex Behav. 2005;34:103-9 pubmed..These findings add to the cross-cultural literature on childhood cross-gender behavior and homoerotic activities among non-homosexually identified males. ..
- van Dijk E, Van Dulmen den Broeder E, Kaspers G, van Dam E, Braam K, Huisman J. Psychosexual functioning of childhood cancer survivors. Psychooncology. 2008;17:506-11 pubmed..In this cohort of childhood cancer survivors, psychosexual problems were frequent. Treatment in adolescence is a risk factor for a delay in psychosexual development.
- Bandura A, Bussey K. On broadening the cognitive, motivational, and sociostructural scope of theorizing about gender development and functioning: comment on Martin, Ruble, and Szkrybalo (2002). Psychol Bull. 2004;130:691-701 pubmed
- Friedman R, Downey J. Psychotherapy of bisexual men. J Am Acad Psychoanal Dyn Psychiatry. 2010;38:181-97 pubmed publisher..Although bisexuality itself is not pathological, the adaptational issues of men with major psychiatric disorders who are also bisexual may be complex. ..
- Ruuska J, Kaltiala Heino R, Koivisto A, Rantanen P. Puberty, sexual development and eating disorders in adolescent outpatients. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003;12:214-20 pubmed..The results suggest different ways of coping with the developmental challenges in sexuality in AN and BN during adolescence. ..
- Ferruta A. A reconsideration of Freud's essays on sexuality and their clinical implications. Psychoanal Q. 2012;81:259-78 pubmed
- Johansson A, Jern P, Santtila P, von der Pahlen B, Eriksson E, Westberg L, et al. The Genetics of Sexuality and Aggression (GSA) twin samples in Finland. Twin Res Hum Genet. 2013;16:150-6 pubmed publisher..A detailed overview of publications can be found at the project's Web site: http://www.cebg.fi/. ..
- Schmidt Hellerau C. Surviving in absence--on the preservative and death drives and their clinical utility. Psychoanal Q. 2006;75:1057-95 pubmed..Clinical material from an extended psychoanalysis shows how these concepts can help us understand these patients' absence and "deadness" and rethink the technical challenges they provide. ..
- Loeb T, Williams J, Carmona J, Rivkin I, Wyatt G, Chin D, et al. Child sexual abuse: associations with the sexual functioning of adolescents and adults. Annu Rev Sex Res. 2002;13:307-45 pubmed..We use a developmental framework to guide our understanding of the effects of CSA, as well as gender and ethnic differences, on the sexual functioning of male and female survivors. ..
- Lombardi K. When a body meets a body: a neo-Kleinian view of language and bodily experience. Psychoanal Rev. 2006;93:379-90 pubmed
- Craissati J, McClurg G, Browne K. Characteristics of perpetrators of child sexual abuse who have been sexually victimized as children. Sex Abuse. 2002;14:225-39 pubmed..The implication of these findings for treatment approaches for sex offenders is discussed. ..
- Goecker D, Korte A. [Sex identity disorders in children and adolescents]. Kinderkrankenschwester. 2007;26:330-2 pubmed
- Dieluweit U, Debatin K, Grabow D, Kaatsch P, Peter R, Seitz D, et al. Social outcomes of long-term survivors of adolescent cancer. Psychooncology. 2010;19:1277-84 pubmed publisher..to controls of the same sex, female survivors had achieved fewer developmental milestones in their psychosexual development such as having their first boyfriend, or reached these milestones later, and reported a significantly ..
- Schwarzer N. [How could self help support patients and families with anorectal malformations?--Psychosocial help offers of SoMA eV]. Prax Kinderpsychol Kinderpsychiatr. 2010;59:5-21 pubmed..Here a network of the different specialties is crucial. Especially in the psychosocial field where self-help organizations have reached their limits--there is a need for more psychotherapeutical support. ..
- Zoldan V, Pereira M, Tarelho L. A psychoanalytical approach to premenstrual tension syndrome. Psychoanal Rev. 2004;91:45-69 pubmed
- Balsam R. The vanished pregnant body in psychoanalytic female developmental theory. J Am Psychoanal Assoc. 2003;51:1153-79 pubmed
- Barg E, Bury M, Marczyk T, Pałac K, Wirth M. [Psychosexual problem in young people with Down syndrome in parents' opinions - personal experience]. Pediatr Endocrinol Diabetes Metab. 2008;14:225-30 pubmedDown syndrome (DS) is a genetic disorder affecting psychomotor and psychosexual development connected with mental retardation and endocrine disorders...
- McAndrew S, Warne T. Gay children and suicidality: the importance of professional nurturance. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2012;33:348-54 pubmed publisher..This story provides valuable insights for mental health nurses becoming more attuned to the importance of providing professional nurturing of gay children. ..
- Marshall K. The embodied self: thinking psychoanalytically in a time of 'science'. J Anal Psychol. 2009;54:677-96 pubmed publisher..I will suggest ways in which research on sexual desire and gender identity may be assimilated into psychoanalytic thinking and give some examples of its use in analytic practice. ..
- Guerra N, Williams K, Sadek S. Understanding bullying and victimization during childhood and adolescence: a mixed methods study. Child Dev. 2011;82:295-310 pubmed publisher..Findings are discussed in terms of their implications for preventive antibullying interventions in schools. ..
- Marván M, Vacio A, García Yañez G, Espinosa Hernandez G. Attitudes toward menarche among Mexican preadolescents. Women Health. 2007;46:7-23 pubmed..Regarding males' involvement, participants showed responses that implied men should not know about a girl's menarche. These findings are discussed in light of the education related to menstruation. ..
- Keppeke L, Cintra I, Schoen T. Bender Visual-Motor Gestalt Test in adolescents: relationship between visual-motor development and the Tanner Stages. Percept Mot Skills. 2013;117:1299-317 pubmed..An association was found with Raven's scores. The Bender test proved sensitive to developmental disorders in adolescence. No association was found between visual-motor development and sexual maturity in adolescents. ..
- Fogel G. Riddles of masculinity: gender, bisexuality, and thirdness. J Am Psychoanal Assoc. 2006;54:1139-63 pubmed
- Carvajal S, Parcel G, Banspach S, Basen Engquist K, Coyle K, Kirby D, et al. Psychosocial predictors of delay of first sexual intercourse by adolescents. Health Psychol. 1999;18:443-52 pubmed..Interventions that include an objective to delay onset may benefit from addressing psychosocial determinants, especially attitudes and norms about sexual intercourse. ..
- McCarty B, Migeon C, Meyer Bahlburg H, Zacur H, Wisniewski A. Medical and psychosexual outcome in women affected by complete gonadal dysgenesis. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2006;19:873-7 pubmed..is suitable to test the influence of an absence of androgens and Müllerian inhibiting substance on psychosexual development in genetic males. Three 46,XY women diagnosed with complete gonadal dysgenesis participated...
- Mahon E. Psychological insights in Shakespeare's final play, The Two Noble Kinsmen. Psychoanal Study Child. 2001;56:393-407 pubmed..development and sexuality, he anticipates an important Freudian concept in his introduction of the theme of the jailer's daughter whose "love-sickness" requires on understanding of transference before sense can be made of it! ..
- Langevin R. A study of the psychosexual characteristics of sex killers: can we identify them before it is too late?. Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol. 2003;47:366-82 pubmed..Results suggest that greater emphasis be placed on studying adolescent sex offenders and conduct disordered children which may help identify potential sex killers. ..
- Mor B. The space between love and not touching in psychotherapy. Am J Psychother. 2005;59:42-60 pubmed..The paper includes mythological metaphors illustrating the issues in a cultural perspective that constitutes the traditional framework of thinking relevant to the issues which are the subject of this paper. ..
- Canada A, Schover L, Li Y. A pilot intervention to enhance psychosexual development in adolescents and young adults with cancer. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2007;49:824-8 pubmed..We created and pilot tested a two-session, individually-delivered, counseling intervention to enhance psychosexual development in this unique population...
- Hermer L. Paradigms revised: intersex children, bioethics & the law. Ann Health Law. 2002;11:195-236, table of contents pubmed..Rather, providers should focus on offering parents with complete information, referrals to support groups and forthright discussions on the dearth of information available. ..
- Broman C. Sexuality attitudes: the impact of trauma. J Sex Res. 2003;40:351-7 pubmed..These results are discussed in light of the previous research, and suggestions for future research made. ..
- Herzog J. Father hunger and narcissistic deformation. Psychoanal Q. 2004;73:893-914 pubmed..He also suggests that the ways in which aggression is or is not modulated and organized are crucial components of this evolving disorder, and that boys are more susceptible to its full manifestation and expression than are girls. ..
- Ostovich J, Sabini J. Timing of puberty and sexuality in men and women. Arch Sex Behav. 2005;34:197-206 pubmed..Earlier first sexual arousal, but not timing of puberty, was related to sexual orientation for women only. We discuss classes of explanations for these results. ..
- Ogilvie C, Crouch N, Rumsby G, Creighton S, Liao L, Conway G. Congenital adrenal hyperplasia in adults: a review of medical, surgical and psychological issues. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2006;64:2-11 pubmed..Men with CAH are often lost to follow up and therefore miss out on surveillance for hypogonadism either through the effect of adrenal rests of from suppression of gonadotrophins resulting in a high prevalence of oligospermia. ..
- Schönbucher V, Weber D, Landolt M. Psychosocial adjustment, health-related quality of life, and psychosexual development of boys with hypospadias: a systematic review. J Pediatr Psychol. 2008;33:520-35 pubmedA systematic review of studies on psychosocial adjustment, HRQoL (health-related quality of life), and psychosexual development of boys with hypospadias. Research was conducted on several online bibliographic databases...
- Friedlander L, Connolly J, Pepler D, Craig W. Biological, familial, and peer influences on dating in early adolescence. Arch Sex Behav. 2007;36:821-30 pubmed
- Aka Dago Akribi H, Cacou Adjoua M. Psychosexual development among HIV-positive adolescents in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire. Reprod Health Matters. 2004;12:19-28 pubmed..This paper is about the psychosexual development of the HIV-positive adolescents in the Programme, 11 girls and 8 boys aged 13-17, their problems with HIV-..
- Schaverien J. Boarding school: the trauma of the 'privileged' child. J Anal Psychol. 2004;49:683-705 pubmed..Changes in the frame, breaks in analysis, and confessions of emotional need are all points at which vigilance is required if such disturbance in analysis is not to end in its abrupt termination. ..
- Yu L, Winter S. Gender atypical behavior in Chinese school-aged children: its prevalence and relation to sex, age, and only child status. J Sex Res. 2011;48:334-48 pubmed publisher..The expressions of GABs in only children did not differ from that in children with siblings. Possible effects of Chinese culture (including the current only-child policy) on children's GABs are discussed. ..
- Briken P, Hill A, Nika E, Berner W. [Obscene telephone calls--relations to paraphilias, paraphilia related disorders and stalking]. Psychiatr Prax. 2005;32:304-7 pubmed..In case reports we describe the paraphilic development and course with a focus on the relationship to the victim. We discuss this on the background of different concepts regarding risk assessment and therapy. ..
- Smith A, Rosenthal D. Revisiting sexual styles: patterns of adolescents' self-perceptions. Psychol Rep. 1998;83:65-6 pubmed..In this work we replicated with a sample of 522 15- to 16-yr.-olds in broad terms, the five styles identified by Buzwell and Rosenthal. ..
- Engel K, Wigand G. Empirical coverage of psychodynamic configurations of anorexia nervosa. Psychother Psychosom. 1989;51:1-10 pubmed