Summary: Integration of spatial information perceived by visual and/or auditory CUES.
- Town S, Brimijoin W, Bizley J. Egocentric and allocentric representations in auditory cortex. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2001878 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that early auditory cortex primarily represents sound source location relative to ourselves but that a minority of cells can represent sound location in the world independent of our own position. ..
- Pluta S, Lyall E, Telian G, Ryapolova Webb E, Adesnik H. Surround Integration Organizes a Spatial Map during Active Sensation. Neuron. 2017;94:1220-1233.e5 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate how spatial summation over a moving sensor array is critical to generating population codes of sensory space. ..
- Hoover E, Souza P, Gallun F. Auditory and Cognitive Factors Associated with Speech-in-Noise Complaints following Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. J Am Acad Audiol. 2017;28:325-339 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to evaluate the prevalence and causal relationship of auditory deficits following MTBI. ..
- Vasser M, Kängsepp M, Magomedkerimov M, Kilvits K, Stafinjak V, Kivisik T, et al. VREX: an open-source toolbox for creating 3D virtual reality experiments. BMC Psychol. 2017;5:4 pubmed publisher..VREX simplifies the generation and setup of complicated VR scenes and experiments for researchers. VREX can be downloaded and easily installed from vrex.mozello.com. ..
- Szafir D, Haroz S, Gleicher M, Franconeri S. Four types of ensemble coding in data visualizations. J Vis. 2016;16:11 pubmed publisher..Increased collaboration between the data visualization and perceptual psychology research communities can inspire new solutions to challenges in visualization while simultaneously exposing unsolved problems in perception research. ..
- Patten M, Mannion D, Clifford C. Correlates of Perceptual Orientation Biases in Human Primary Visual Cortex. J Neurosci. 2017;37:4744-4750 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that prior expectations influence neural processing right from the earliest stage of the cortical hierarchy. ..
- Learmonth G, Benwell C, Thut G, Harvey M. Age-related reduction of hemispheric lateralisation for spatial attention: An EEG study. Neuroimage. 2017;153:139-151 pubmed publisher..Future studies will need to determine whether this is representative of the normal aging process or an early indicator of neurodegeneration. ..
- Lester A, Moffat S, Wiener J, Barnes C, Wolbers T. The Aging Navigational System. Neuron. 2017;95:1019-1035 pubmed publisher..The closing section highlights the clinical potential of behavioral and neural markers of spatial navigation, with a particular emphasis on neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Miao C, Cao Q, Moser M, Moser E. Parvalbumin and Somatostatin Interneurons Control Different Space-Coding Networks in the Medial Entorhinal Cortex. Cell. 2017;171:507-521.e17 pubmed publisher..The findings point to distinct roles for PV and SOM interneurons in the local dynamics underlying periodic and aperiodic firing in spatially modulated cells of the MEC. VIDEO ABSTRACT...