Summary: Prejudice or discrimination based on gender or behavior or attitudes that foster stereotyped social roles based on gender.
- Ross D, Boatright D, Nunez Smith M, JORDAN A, Chekroud A, Moore E. Differences in words used to describe racial and gender groups in Medical Student Performance Evaluations. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181659 pubmed publisher..Recognizing possible implicit biases and their potential impact is important for faculty who strive to create a more egalitarian medical community. ..
- Laffont S, Blanquart E, Savignac M, Cenac C, Laverny G, Metzger D, et al. Androgen signaling negatively controls group 2 innate lymphoid cells. J Exp Med. 2017;214:1581-1592 pubmed publisher..Thus, androgens play a crucial protective role in type 2 airway inflammation by negatively regulating ILC2 homeostasis, thereby limiting their capacity to expand locally in response to IL-33. ..
- Thiels C, Holst K, Ubl D, McKenzie T, Zielinski M, Farley D, et al. Gender disparities in the utilization of laparoscopic groin hernia repair. J Surg Res. 2017;210:59-68 pubmed publisher..Although we are unable to ascertain underlying causes for these gender disparities, these data suggest that there remains a disparity in the management of groin hernias in women. ..
- Allotey P, Allotey Reidpath C, Reidpath D. Gender bias in clinical case reports: A cross-sectional study of the "big five" medical journals. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177386 pubmed publisher..Whether it is driven by authors or editors is not clear, but it likely contributes to and supports an overall male bias of clinical medicine. ..
- Jagsi R, Griffith K, Jones R, Stewart A, Ubel P. Factors Associated With Success of Clinician-Researchers Receiving Career Development Awards From the National Institutes of Health: A Longitudinal Cohort Study. Acad Med. 2017;92:1429-1439 pubmed publisher..32). Men and women continue to have different experiences and career outcomes, with important implications for the design of interventions to promote equity and success. ..
- Nguyen T, Angelique H. Internalized Homonegativity, Confucianism, and Self-Esteem at the Emergence of an LGBTQ Identity in Modern Vietnam. J Homosex. 2017;64:1617-1631 pubmed publisher..We discuss the implications of these findings in light of conflicting values between Confucianism and the economic and social transformation that has occurred under ??i M?i. ..
- Lamprell G, Braithwaite J. Mainstreaming gender and promoting intersectionality in Papua New Guinea's health policy: a triangulated analysis applying data-mining and content analytic techniques. Int J Equity Health. 2017;16:65 pubmed publisher..Second, there should be greater focus on activists and civil society groups as the stakeholders most likely to make a difference in gender equity. ..
- Öblom A, Antfolk J. Ethnic and gender discrimination in the private rental housing market in Finland: A field experiment. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183344 pubmed publisher..We did not find any evidence of the landlord's gender being associated with the discrimination pattern. The findings suggest that both ethnic and gender discrimination occur in the private rental housing market in Finland. ..
- Dynes M, Stephenson R, Hadley C, Sibley L. Factors shaping interactions among community health workers in rural Ethiopia: rethinking workplace trust and teamwork. J Midwifery Womens Health. 2014;59 Suppl 1:S32-43 pubmed publisher..Large-scale, longitudinal research is needed to understand how changes in trust, gender norms, and perceptions of motivations influence teamwork over time. ..
- Mueller C, Wright R, Girod S. The publication gender gap in US academic surgery. BMC Surg. 2017;17:16 pubmed publisher..Continuing to explore and identify reasons for this gender difference in academic surgery may highlight ways to address the imbalance. ..
- Larivière V, Ni C, Gingras Y, Cronin B, Sugimoto C. Bibliometrics: global gender disparities in science. Nature. 2013;504:211-3 pubmed
- Zaidi Z, Vyas R, Verstegen D, Morahan P, Dornan T. Medical Education to Enhance Critical Consciousness: Facilitators' Experiences. Acad Med. 2017;92:S93-S99 pubmed publisher..How faculty without prior experience or expertise could develop those values and skills is a topic for future research. ..