Summary: Any enhancement of a motivated behavior in which individuals do the same thing with some degree of mutual stimulation and consequent coordination.
- Harvey G, Loftus Hills A, Rycroft Malone J, Titchen A, Kitson A, McCormack B, et al. Getting evidence into practice: the role and function of facilitation. J Adv Nurs. 2002;37:577-88 pubmed..A number of defining characteristics of facilitation are proposed. However, further research to clarify and evaluate different models of facilitation is required. ..
- Fergusson D, Swain Campbell N, Horwood L. Deviant peer affiliations, crime and substance use: a fixed effects regression analysis. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2002;30:419-30 pubmed..These results suggest that deviant peer affiliations are associated with increased rates of a range of adjustment problems in adolescence/young adulthood with deviant peer affiliations being most influential at younger ages. ..
- Lambert A, Payne B, Jacoby L, Shaffer L, Chasteen A, Khan S. Stereotypes as dominant responses: on the "social facilitation" of prejudice in anticipated public contexts. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2003;84:277-95 pubmed
- Varlinskaya E, Spear L. Differences in the social consequences of ethanol emerge during the course of adolescence in rats: social facilitation, social inhibition, and anxiolysis. Dev Psychobiol. 2006;48:146-61 pubmed..explored social consequences of ethanol during adolescence by examining dose-dependent ethanol-induced social facilitation and inhibition in a non-anxiogenic (familiar) environment, and ethanol-related anxiolysis in an anxiogenic (..
- Campbell C, Nair Y, Maimane S. Building contexts that support effective community responses to HIV/AIDS: a South African case study. Am J Community Psychol. 2007;39:347-63 pubmed
- Biglan A, Duncan T, Ary D, Smolkowski K. Peer and parental influences on adolescent tobacco use. J Behav Med. 1995;18:315-30 pubmed..Fathers approval of ST use at Time 2 predicted ST use at Time 3, while maternal disapproval predicted its use. ..
- Pitkow L, Sharer C, Ren X, Insel T, Terwilliger E, Young L. Facilitation of affiliation and pair-bond formation by vasopressin receptor gene transfer into the ventral forebrain of a monogamous vole. J Neurosci. 2001;21:7392-6 pubmed..These data demonstrate a role for ventral pallidal V1aR in affiliation and social attachment and provide a potential molecular mechanism for species differences in social organization. ..
- Zajonc R. SOCIAL FACILITATION. Science. 1965;149:269-74 pubmed
- Varlinskaya E, Spear L. Changes in sensitivity to ethanol-induced social facilitation and social inhibition from early to late adolescence. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004;1021:459-61 pubmedAdolescent rats are more sensitive than adults to ethanol-induced social facilitation, but are less sensitive to the suppression of social interactions seen at higher ethanol doses...
- Neighbors C, Dillard A, Lewis M, Bergstrom R, Neil T. Normative misperceptions and temporal precedence of perceived norms and drinking. J Stud Alcohol. 2006;67:290-9 pubmed..Results are discussed in terms of implications for prevention interventions. ..
- Rockloff M, Dyer V. An experiment on the social facilitation of gambling behavior. J Gambl Stud. 2007;23:1-12 pubmedResearch and theory regarding the social facilitation effect generates the expectation that the presence of other gamblers (or co-actors) in a gaming venue is likely to intensify individual gambling behavior and magnify losses...
- Tarnaud L, Yamagiwa J. Age-dependent patterns of intensive observation on elders by free-ranging juvenile Japanese macaques (Macaca fuscata yakui) within foraging context on Yakushima. Am J Primatol. 2008;70:1103-13 pubmed publisher..Social learning and social facilitation are often cited to explain how youngsters learn to select and find their food...
- Hamilton K, White K. Extending the theory of planned behavior: the role of self and social influences in predicting adolescent regular moderate-to-vigorous physical activity. J Sport Exerc Psychol. 2008;30:56-74 pubmed..Overall, the results provide support for an extended version of the TPB incorporating self-identity and those social influences linked explicitly to membership of a behaviorally relevant reference group. ..
- Kovach Clark H, Ringwalt C, Hanley S, Shamblen S. Project ALERT's effects on adolescents' prodrug beliefs: a replication and extension study. Health Educ Behav. 2010;37:357-76 pubmed publisher..The authors found no evidence to suggest that Project ALERT had a positive impact on any alcohol, cigarette, or marijuana prodrug beliefs. Implications for school-based substance use prevention are discussed. ..
- Ickes S, Jilcott S, Myhre J, Adair L, Thirumurthy H, Handa S, et al. Examination of facilitators and barriers to home-based supplemental feeding with ready-to-use food for underweight children in western Uganda. Matern Child Nutr. 2012;8:115-29 pubmed publisher..Interventions and educational messages informed by this study can help to improve RUF delivery to targeted beneficiaries. ..
- Hostetler C, Anacker A, Loftis J, Ryabinin A. Social housing and alcohol drinking in male-female pairs of prairie voles (Microtus ochrogaster). Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2012;224:121-32 pubmed publisher..Subjects were then moved back to isolation for a final ethanol access period. Same-sex pairs showed social facilitation of drinking similar to previous reports. Gonadectomy did not affect alcohol drinking...
- McKee S. Developing human laboratory models of smoking lapse behavior for medication screening. Addict Biol. 2009;14:99-107 pubmed publisher..Ongoing and completed work developing and validating these models for the purpose of medication screening is discussed. ..
- Zentall T. Perspectives on observational learning in animals. J Comp Psychol. 2012;126:114-28 pubmed publisher..Several of the processes that may be involved in observational learning are reviewed, including social facilitation, stimulus enhancement, several kinds of emulation, and various forms of imitation.
- Kuntsche E, Stewart S, Cooper M. How stable is the motive-alcohol use link? A cross-national validation of the Drinking Motives Questionnaire Revised among adolescents from Switzerland, Canada, and the United States. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2008;69:388-96 pubmed
- Berlin G. Rewarding the work of individuals: a counterintuitive approach to reducing poverty and strengthening families. Future Child. 2007;17:17-42 pubmed
- Nielsen B, Erhard H, Friggens N, McLeod J. Ultradian activity rhythms in large groups of newly hatched chicks (Gallus gallus domesticus). Behav Processes. 2008;78:408-15 pubmed publisher..This was achievable even when individual chick rhythms were modelled as independent of each other, thus no assumptions of social facilitation are necessary to obtain ultradian activity rhythms on a group level.
- Salzer M, Wick L, Rogers J. Familiarity with and use of accommodations and supports among postsecondary students with mental illnesses. Psychiatr Serv. 2008;59:370-5 pubmed publisher..Supports that are most used and viewed as most helpful provide direction for service providers and campus personnel in their efforts to facilitate students' educational goals. ..
- McCormack G, Giles Corti B, Timperio A, Wood G, Villanueva K. A cross-sectional study of the individual, social, and built environmental correlates of pedometer-based physical activity among elementary school children. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011;8:30 pubmed publisher..69, girls only). Comprehensive multi-level interventions that reduce screen-time, encourage active travel to/from school and foster a physically active classroom culture might encourage more physical activity among children. ..
- Brennan K, Monroy Hernández A, Resnick M. Making projects, making friends: online community as catalyst for interactive media creation. New Dir Youth Dev. 2010;2010:75-83 pubmed publisher..We argue that the most exciting interactive media creation and valuable learning experiences are taking place in the middle space, where participants draw on the best of socializing and creating practices. ..
- Haug S, Ulbricht S, Hanke M, Meyer C, John U. Overestimation of drinking norms and its association with alcohol consumption in apprentices. Alcohol Alcohol. 2011;46:204-9 pubmed publisher..Interventions correcting alcohol use misperceptions might be effective in reducing problem drinking in adolescents with heterogeneous educational levels. ..
- Trentacosta C, Hyde L, Shaw D, Cheong J. Adolescent dispositions for antisocial behavior in context: the roles of neighborhood dangerousness and parental knowledge. J Abnorm Psychol. 2009;118:564-75 pubmed publisher..The findings have implications for preventive intervention approaches that address the interplay of dispositional and contextual factors to prevent delinquent behavior in adolescence. ..
- Koh J, Pliner P. The effects of degree of acquaintance, plate size, and sharing on food intake. Appetite. 2009;52:595-602 pubmed publisher..However, this sharing effect seemed to occur only when participants ate from small plates. Whether or not participants reported taking second helpings was influenced by all three of the independent variables. ..
- Lopez B, Schwartz S, Prado G, Huang S, Rothe E, Wang W, et al. Correlates of early alcohol and drug use in Hispanic adolescents: examining the role of ADHD with comorbid conduct disorder, family, school, and peers. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2008;37:820-32 pubmed publisher..Results are discussed in terms of possible targets for interventions to prevent alcohol and drug use in Hispanic adolescents. ..
- Brown S. Factors and measurement of mental illness stigma: a psychometric examination of the Attribution Questionnaire. Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2008;32:89-94 pubmed publisher..Accurate measurement of these attitudes/beliefs will be critical to more fully understanding the stigma process and developing effective strategies to address stigma. ..
- Lemke S, Schutte K, Brennan P, Moos R. Gender differences in social influences and stressors linked to increased drinking. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2008;69:695-702 pubmed..Information about experiences that may place upward pressure on drinking for men and women can inform efforts to prevent and treat alcohol-use disorders. ..
- Cage E, Pellicano E, Shah P, Bird G. Reputation management: evidence for ability but reduced propensity in autism. Autism Res. 2013;6:433-42 pubmed publisher..Results indicate that, while individuals with autism may have the ability to think about reputation, a reduced expectation of reciprocal behavior from others may reduce the degree to which they engage in reputation management. ..
- Gregoire L, Perruchet P, Poulin Charronnat B. Is the musical stroop effect able to keep its promises? A reply to Akiva-Kabiri and Henik (2014), Gast (2014), Moeller and Frings (2014), and Zakay (2014). Exp Psychol. 2014;61:80-3 pubmed publisher..We maintain that the Musical Stroop Effect offers promising possibilities for further research on automaticity, with the main proviso that the current procedure makes it difficult to tease apart facilitation and interference. ..
- Maggi J, Stergiopoulos V, Sockalingam S. Implementing a new physician manager curriculum into a psychiatry residency training program: the change process, barriers and facilitators. Psychiatr Q. 2008;79:21-31 pubmed..Additionally, the article focuses on the role of the psychiatrist in the process. ..
- Anderson Hanley C, Snyder A, Nimon J, Arciero P. Social facilitation in virtual reality-enhanced exercise: competitiveness moderates exercise effort of older adults. Clin Interv Aging. 2011;6:275-80 pubmed publisherThis study examined the effect of virtual social facilitation and competitiveness on exercise effort in exergaming older adults. Fourteen exergaming older adults participated. Competitiveness was assessed prior to the start of exercise...
- Frumence G, Killewo J, Kwesigabo G, Nystrom L, Eriksson M, Emmelin M. Social capital and the decline in HIV transmission - A case study in three villages in the Kagera region of Tanzania. SAHARA J. 2010;7:9-20 pubmed..We conclude that social capital contributed in changing HIV related risk behaviour that supported a decline of HIV infection in the high prevalence zone and maintained a low prevalence in the other zones. ..
- Dir A, Banks D, Zapolski T, McIntyre E, Hulvershorn L. Negative urgency and emotion regulation predict positive smoking expectancies in non-smoking youth. Addict Behav. 2016;58:47-52 pubmed publisher..Both negative urgency and emotion dysregulation were significantly associated with positive social facilitation smoking expectancies...
- Burd L. Developing technological initiatives for youth participation and local community engagement. New Dir Youth Dev. 2010;2010:95-104 pubmed publisher..The article then describes the application of the framework in two multiyear initiatives. ..
- Doherty W, Mendenhall T, Berge J. The Families and Democracy and Citizen Health Care Project. J Marital Fam Ther. 2010;36:389-402 pubmed publisher..We describe the overall project and several of its initiatives, we address research and evaluation issues, and we outline opportunities for marriage and family therapists to learn how to do this work in their own communities. ..
- Butera Prinzi F, Charles N, Heine K, Rutherford B, Lattin D. Family-to-Family Link Up Program: a community-based initiative supporting families caring for someone with an acquired brain injury. NeuroRehabilitation. 2010;27:31-47 pubmed publisher..The opportunity to meet other families in brief, time-limited contacts with a trained facilitator is a useful and needed addition to a range of supports that might assist families caring for a member with an acquired brain injury. ..
- Carver C. Threat sensitivity, incentive sensitivity, and the experience of relief. J Pers. 2009;77:125-38 pubmed publisher..Fun seeking related inversely to relief. Discussion centers on theoretical implications of the findings for viewing effects of threat sensitivity, and on relations between dimensional and appraisal-based views of affective experience. ..
- White K, Smith J, Terry D, Greenslade J, McKimmie B. Social influence in the theory of planned behaviour: the role of descriptive, injunctive, and in-group norms. Br J Soc Psychol. 2009;48:135-58 pubmed publisher..The results of these two studies highlight the critical role of social influence processes within the TPB and the attitude-behaviour context. ..
- Horwitz J, McCaffrey R. Effects of a third party observer and anxiety on tests of executive function. Arch Clin Neuropsychol. 2008;23:409-17 pubmed publisher..Additionally, effects of trait anxiety on performance in the presence of an observer appear to vary depending on task characteristics. Implications and suggestions for further research are discussed. ..
- Ybrandt H. Risky alcohol use, peer and family relationships and legal involvement in adolescents with antisocial problems. J Drug Educ. 2010;40:245-64 pubmed..It was also found that the ADAD problem areas seem to be most useful as prognostic indicators of treatment outcome for adolescents with antisocial problems who are under 18 years of age. ..
- Hachiga Y, Silberberg A, Parker S, Sakagami T. Humans (Homo sapiens) fail to show an inequity effect in an "up-linkage" analog of the monkey inequity test. Anim Cogn. 2009;12:359-67 pubmed publisher..This report exemplifies that up- and down-linkage tests are often requisite to establish commonality of psychological process between nonhuman primates and humans. ..
- ter Bogt T, Keijsers L, Meeus W. Early adolescent music preferences and minor delinquency. Pediatrics. 2013;131:e380-9 pubmed publisher..The mechanisms through which music preferences are linked to minor delinquency are discussed within the framework of MMT. ..
- Uzsák A, Schal C. Sensory cues involved in social facilitation of reproduction in Blattella germanica females. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e55678 pubmed publisher..germanica. Social facilitation of reproduction is expected to be influenced by the circadian timing system, as females engage in more ..
- Driver S. Psychometric properties and analysis of the physical activity Social Influence Scale for adults with traumatic brain injuries. Adapt Phys Activ Q. 2007;24:160-77 pubmed..Findings have implications for specialists and suggestions are provided on ways to enhance the physical activity participation of adults with brain injuries. ..