Genomes and Genes
Summary: Any behavior associated with conflict between two individuals.
- Takeuchi Y, Hori M, Myint O, Kohda M. Lateral bias of agonistic responses to mirror images and morphological asymmetry in the Siamese fighting fish (Betta splendens). Behav Brain Res. 2010;208:106-11 pubmed publisher..Further, we propose that in fish, morphological asymmetry is related to laterality in various behaviours. ..
- Sato D, Nagayama T. Development of agonistic encounters in dominance hierarchy formation in juvenile crayfish. J Exp Biol. 2012;215:1210-7 pubmed publisher..With increasing body size, the probability of tailflips decreased while that of retreats increased as the submissive behavioural act of subordinate animals...
- Ueno R, Nagayama T. Interlocking of chelae is a key factor for dominance hierarchy formation in crayfish. J Exp Biol. 2012;215:2841-8 pubmed publisher..Preventing chelae from interlocking prevented escalation of agonistic bouts. We show that interlocking of chelae acted as a key factor for the formation of dominance hierarchy...
- Maxson S, Canastar A. Conceptual and methodological issues in the genetics of mouse agonistic behavior. Horm Behav. 2003;44:258-62 pubmed..For this reason, standardization of these conditions is recommended. ..
- Bergman D, Moore P. Field observations of intraspecific agonistic behavior of two crayfish species, Orconectes rusticus and Orconectes virilis, in different habitats. Biol Bull. 2003;205:26-35 pubmedb>Agonistic behavior is a fundamental aspect of ecological theories on resource acquisition and sexual selection...
- Narins P, Hödl W, Grabul D. Bimodal signal requisite for agonistic behavior in a dart-poison frog, Epipedobates femoralis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:577-80 pubmed..These results suggest that integration of dynamic bimodal cues is necessary to elicit aggression in this species. ..
- Tierney A, Mangiamele L. Effects of serotonin and serotonin analogs on posture and agonistic behavior in crayfish. J Comp Physiol A. 2001;187:757-67 pubmed..three experiments to further investigate the effects of serotonin and serotonin analogs on posture and agonistic behavior in the crayfish Procambarus clarkii...
- Akamatsu T, Okumura T, Novarini N, Yan H. Empirical refinements applicable to the recording of fish sounds in small tanks. J Acoust Soc Am. 2002;112:3073-82 pubmed..The findings underscore pitfalls associated with recording fish sounds in small tanks. Herein, an empirical solution to correct these distortions is provided. ..
- Wommack J, Delville Y. Repeated social stress and the development of agonistic behavior: individual differences in coping responses in male golden hamsters. Physiol Behav. 2003;80:303-8 pubmed..Our data also suggest that submissive behavior is a form of coping that attenuates the behavioral consequences of social subjugation in male golden hamsters. ..
- Delville Y, David J, Taravosh Lahn K, Wommack J. Stress and the development of agonistic behavior in golden hamsters. Horm Behav. 2003;44:263-70 pubmed..These data constitute the basis for a new theory on the development of agonistic behavior that includes the following hypotheses...
- Sneddon L, Taylor A, Huntingford F, Watson D. Agonistic behaviour and biogenic amines in shore crabs Carcinus maenas. J Exp Biol. 2000;203:537-45 pubmed..The better competitors have higher concentrations of these three amines at rest and after fighting...
- Huber R, Orzeszyna M, Pokorny N, Kravitz E. Biogenic amines and aggression: experimental approaches in crustaceans. Brain Behav Evol. 1997;50 Suppl 1:60-8 pubmed..The results demonstrate (i) that agonistic behavior in crustaceans can be quantified, (ii) that the amines themselves have telling and subtle effects on the ..
- Panksepp J, Huber R. Chronic alterations in serotonin function: dynamic neurochemical properties in agonistic behavior of the crayfish, Orconectes rusticus. J Neurobiol. 2002;50:276-90 pubmed..Moreover, the apparent presence of powerful compensatory mechanisms indicates our need to adopt an increasingly dynamic view of the serotonergic bases of behavior like crayfish aggression. ..
- Storch E, Ledley D, Lewin A, Murphy T, Johns N, Goodman W, et al. Peer victimization in children with obsessive-compulsive disorder: relations with symptoms of psychopathology. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2006;35:446-55 pubmed..Recognition of the magnitude of the problem and contribution problematic peer relations may play in comorbid psychological conditions is important for clinicians who see children with OCD. ..
- Olszewski R, Wegorzewska M, Monteiro A, Krolikowski K, Zhou J, Kozikowski A, et al. Phencyclidine and dizocilpine induced behaviors reduced by N-acetylaspartylglutamate peptidase inhibition via metabotropic glutamate receptors. Biol Psychiatry. 2008;63:86-91 pubmed
- Gomez M, Carrasco M, Redolat R. Differential sensitivity to the effects of nicotine and bupropion in adolescent and adult male OF1 mice during social interaction tests. Aggress Behav. 2008;34:369-79 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, a differential sensitivity to the effects of NIC or BUP emerged in some of the behavioral categories when the two age groups were compared. ..
- Cheng S, Taravosh Lahn K, Delville Y. Neural circuitry of play fighting in golden hamsters. Neuroscience. 2008;156:247-56 pubmed publisher..Together, our results support the hypothesis of a single core neural circuitry controlling the offensive components of play fighting and adult aggression throughout puberty in hamsters. ..
- Winstok Z, Enosh G. Distribution of verbal and physical violence for same and opposite genders among adolescents. Am J Mens Health. 2008;2:272-80 pubmed publisher..This is consistent with the assumption that females set a higher priority on avoiding risk. These results are discussed from an evolutionary cost-risk perspective. ..
- Hemenway D, Miller M. Gun threats against and self-defense gun use by California adolescents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004;158:395-400 pubmed..Far more California adolescents are threatened with a gun than use a gun in self-defense. Self-defense gun use is rare; many of the reported self-defense gun uses seem to be armed confrontations. ..
- Claverie T, Smith I. Functional significance of an unusual chela dimorphism in a marine decapod: specialization as a weapon?. Proc Biol Sci. 2007;274:3033-8 pubmed..The arched morphology, therefore, appears to have evolved in males by means of sexual selection because it enhanced the function of the chela as a weapon, while retaining functionality for feeding. ..
- Bailey M, Avitsur R, Engler H, Padgett D, Sheridan J. Physical defeat reduces the sensitivity of murine splenocytes to the suppressive effects of corticosterone. Brain Behav Immun. 2004;18:416-24 pubmed..This study indicates that exposure to a stressful environment in the absence of physical attack does not reduce the sensitivity of murine splenocytes to the suppressive effects of corticosterone. ..
- Lemasson A, Hausberger M. Acoustic variability and social significance of calls in female Campbell's monkeys (Cercopithecus campbelli campbelli). J Acoust Soc Am. 2011;129:3341-52 pubmed publisher..In accordance with Owren and Rendall's hypotheses, the level of individual distinctiveness was minimum for noisy pulsed calls and maximum for calls involved in affiliative interactions...
- Koenig A, Larney E, Lu A, Borries C. Agonistic behavior and dominance relationships in female Phayre's leaf monkeys -- preliminary results. Am J Primatol. 2004;64:351-7 pubmed..This study presents preliminary data on agonistic behavior and dominance relationships for female Phayre's leaf monkeys (Trachypithecus phayrei), a species in which ..
- Vermeren J. Is there a cure for CBD?. Nurs N Z. 2007;13:21 pubmed
- Bohnenkamp A, Traulsen I, Meyer C, Muller K, Krieter J. Comparison of growth performance and agonistic interaction in weaned piglets of different weight classes from farrowing systems with group or single housing. Animal. 2013;7:309-15 pubmed publisher..e.m.: 0.26)). The FCR of the GH-pigs was 1.64 (s.e.m.: 0.03) and 1.58 (s.e.m.: 0.03) for SH-pigs. A reduced agonistic behavior of the GH-pigs was observed with 2.1 fights per pen and hour (s.e.m.: 0.07) v. the SH-pigs with 4...
- Solomon M, Karom M, Huhman K. Sex and estrous cycle differences in the display of conditioned defeat in Syrian hamsters. Horm Behav. 2007;52:211-9 pubmed
- Wewers D, Kaiser S, Sachser N. Application of an antiandrogen during pregnancy infantilizes the male offsprings' behaviour. Behav Brain Res. 2005;158:89-95 pubmed..Thus, our study supports the hypothesis, that the decrease of androgen concentrations during pregnancy, caused by an unstable social environment, is responsible for the infantilization of the male offsprings' behaviour. ..
- Abrahams B, Kwok M, Trinh E, Budaghzadeh S, Hossain S, Simpson E. Pathological aggression in "fierce" mice corrected by human nuclear receptor 2E1. J Neurosci. 2005;25:6263-70 pubmed..Use of this rescue paradigm with other genes will permit the direct evaluation of human genes hypothesized to play a causal role in psychiatric disease but for which evidence is lacking or equivocal. ..
- Palagi E, Antonacci D, Cordoni G. Fine-tuning of social play in juvenile lowland gorillas (gorilla gorilla gorilla). Dev Psychobiol. 2007;49:433-45 pubmed..The ability to interpret such ambiguous features of social signaling could represent a central issue in the evolution of behavioral flexibility and intelligence in primates...
- Landa L, Slais K, Sulcova A. Impact of cannabinoid receptor ligands on behavioural sensitization to antiaggressive methamphetamine effects in the model of mouse agonistic behaviour. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2006;27:703-10 pubmed
- Rosenstein A, O Daniel M. Impact and implications of disruptive behavior in the perioperative arena. J Am Coll Surg. 2006;203:96-105 pubmed
- Santucci D, Sorace A, Francia N, Aloe L, Alleva E. Prolonged prenatal exposure to low-level ozone affects aggressive behaviour as well as NGF and BDNF levels in the central nervous system of CD-1 mice. Behav Brain Res. 2006;166:124-30 pubmed..Reduced NGF levels in the hippocampus and increased BDNF in the striatum were also found upon O(3) exposure. ..
- Fosse G, Holen A. Cohabitation, education, and occupation of psychiatric outpatients bullied as children. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2004;192:385-8 pubmed..Those bullied in childhood showed poorer psychosocial adjustment as adults. ..
- Kozorovitskiy Y, Gould E. Dominance hierarchy influences adult neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus. J Neurosci. 2004;24:6755-9 pubmed
- Tibbetts E, Izzo A. Social punishment of dishonest signalers caused by mismatch between signal and behavior. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1637-40 pubmed publisher..how do individuals know a rival is cheating? We independently manipulated a signal of fighting ability and agonistic behavior in Polistes dominulus wasps to test the behavioral mechanisms underlying social punishment...
- De Lorme K, Sisk C. Pubertal testosterone programs context-appropriate agonistic behavior and associated neural activation patterns in male Syrian hamsters. Physiol Behav. 2013;112-113:1-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, pubertal testosterone does not organize the formation or stability of male-male relationships, but does program the behavioral strategies used to maintain these relationships over time and the neural correlates of status. ..
- Lester G, Wilson B, Griffin L, Mullen P. Unusually persistent complainants. Br J Psychiatry. 2004;184:352-6 pubmed..These complainants damaged the financial and social fabric of their own lives and frightened those dealing with their claims. The study suggests methods of early detection and alternative management strategies. ..
- Marashi V, Barnekow A, Sachser N. Effects of environmental enrichment on males of a docile inbred strain of mice. Physiol Behav. 2004;82:765-76 pubmed..No differences in agonistic behavior, levels of plasma corticosterone (CORT), and activities of adrenal tyrosine hydroxylase (TH) existed among S-..
- Matsuda I, Tuuga A, Bernard H, Furuichi T. Inter-individual relationships in proboscis monkeys: a preliminary comparison with other non-human primates. Primates. 2012;53:13-23 pubmed publisher..Newly immigrated females in some species including proboscis monkeys are eager to have social interactions with senior group members to improve their social position. ..
- Astudillo M, Kuntsche S, Graham K, Gmel G. The influence of drinking pattern, at individual and aggregate levels, on alcohol-related negative consequences. Eur Addict Res. 2010;16:115-23 pubmed publisher..To determine the extent drinking patterns (at the individual and country level) are associated with alcohol-related consequences over and above the total alcohol the person consumes...
- Selekman J, Vessey J. Bullying: it isn't what it used to be. Pediatr Nurs. 2004;30:246-9 pubmed
- Suchday S, Larkin K. Psychophysiological responses to anger provocation among Asian Indian and White men. Int J Behav Med. 2004;11:71-80 pubmed..Indian men, in contrast, exhibited delayed DBP recovery from anger expression and increased introspective cognitive strategies when asked to engage in anger exhibition, a behavior not congruent with their culture of origin. ..
- Oxtoby K. How to tackle verbal abuse. Nurs Times. 2004;100:20-2 pubmed
- Alikasifoglu M, Erginoz E, Ercan O, Uysal O, Albayrak Kaymak D. Bullying behaviours and psychosocial health: results from a cross-sectional survey among high school students in Istanbul, Turkey. Eur J Pediatr. 2007;166:1253-60 pubmed..Health professionals should be aware of the influence of bullying on health and particularly on bully/victims' health. There is a strong need for bullying prevention programmes in schools in Turkey. ..
- Langkilde T, Shine R. Competing for crevices: interspecific conflict influences retreat-site selection in montane lizards. Oecologia. 2004;140:684-91 pubmed..We conclude that direct agonistic encounters between individuals of different species strongly influence habitat use by lizards within this assemblage. ..
- Castro J, Souza A, Mesquita I. Attack efficacy in volleyball: elite male teams. Percept Mot Skills. 2011;113:395-408 pubmed..Despite unfavourable conditions, attackers managed to execute Power attacks in the majority of the situations, and score a high frequency of Attack points. ..
- Miller W, Timmons A, Perry L, Klein M. What was the most difficult encounter you've had with a doctor?. RN. 2005;68:19-20 pubmed
- Ferkin M, Li H. A battery of olfactory-based screens for phenotyping the social and sexual behaviors of mice. Physiol Behav. 2005;85:489-99 pubmed
- Vallarino A, Wingfield J, Drummond H. Does extra corticosterone elicit increased begging and submissiveness in subordinate booby (Sula nebouxii) chicks?. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2006;147:297-303 pubmed