Summary: Voluntary cooperation of the patient in taking drugs or medicine as prescribed. This includes timing, dosage, and frequency.
- Di Palo K, Patel K, Assafin M, Pina I. Implementation of a Patient Navigator Program to Reduce 30-day Heart Failure Readmission Rate. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2017;60:259-266 pubmed publisher..3% and 6.1% respectively. Hospital programs can easily embed a NT into existing initiatives to further reduce the readmission rate. ..
- Kattakuzhy S, Gross C, Emmanuel B, Teferi G, Jenkins V, Silk R, et al. Expansion of Treatment for Hepatitis C Virus Infection by Task Shifting to Community-Based Nonspecialist Providers: A Nonrandomized Clinical Trial. Ann Intern Med. 2017;167:311-318 pubmed publisher..National Institutes of Health and Gilead Sciences. ..
- Ocak E, Kocaoz D, Acar B. How can we improve medical adherence to intranasal corticosteroids in children?. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;100:194-197 pubmed publisher..Moreover the father can be involved in the therapy plan and back up the mother as they are usually the responsible parent for children's medical therapy. ..
- Dissak Delon F, Kamga G, Humblet P, Robert A, Souopgui J, Kamgno J, et al. Adherence to ivermectin is more associated with perceptions of community directed treatment with ivermectin organization than with onchocerciasis beliefs. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005849 pubmed publisher..In addition to education/sensitisation on onchocerciasis during the implementation of the CDTI program, local health authorities should strive to better involve communities and more encourage community distributors' work. ..
- Alsous M, Abu Farha R, Alefishat E, Al Omar S, Momani D, Gharabli A, et al. Adherence to 6-Mercaptopurine in children and adolescents with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183119 pubmed publisher..in packed Red Blood Cells (RBCs)) and a subjective method (using parent and child self-report via the Medication Adherence Report Scale; MARS; Adherence was defined as 90% or greater)...
- Viera A. Screening for Hypertension and Lowering Blood Pressure for Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease Events. Med Clin North Am. 2017;101:701-712 pubmed publisher..Quality of hypertension care is improved by incorporating population health management using registries and medication titration. ..
- Teklu A, Yirdaw K. Patients who restart antiretroviral medication after interruption remain at high risk of unfavorable outcomes in Ethiopia. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:247 pubmed publisher..In those with a history of treatment interruption, long term clinical outcomes were found to be suboptimal. Targeted interventions are required to address follow-up challenges and prevent treatment interruption. ..
- Walker R, Smalls B, Hernandez Tejada M, Campbell J, Egede L. Effect of diabetes self-efficacy on glycemic control, medication adherence, self-care behaviors, and quality of life in a predominantly low-income, minority population. Ethn Dis. 2014;24:349-55 pubmed..Multiple linear regression assessed associations between self-efficacy, hemoglobin A1c, medication adherence, diabetes knowledge, self-care behaviors and quality of life...
- Ramay B, Cerón A, Méndez Alburez L, Lou Meda R. Factors associated to acceptable treatment adherence among children with chronic kidney disease in Guatemala. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186644 pubmed publisherPediatric patients with Chronic Kidney Disease face several barriers to medication adherence that, if addressed, may improve clinical care outcomes...
- Sadatsafavi M, Fitzgerald M, Marra C, Lynd L. Costs and health outcomes associated with primary vs secondary care after an asthma-related hospitalization: a population-based study. Chest. 2013;144:428-435 pubmed publisher..Total direct asthma-related medical costs (primary outcome) and health service use and measures of medication adherence (secondary outcomes) were compared for the next 12 months...
- Solberg M, Bjørk I, Hansen T. Adherence to oxygenation and ventilation targets in mechanically ventilated premature and sick newborns: a retrospective study. BMC Pediatr. 2013;13:126 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to identify whether adherence to oxygenation and ventilation targets can be improved by clearer communication and allocation of responsibilities between nurses and physicians. ..
- Morse A, Goodman K, Munday R, Chang H, Morse J, Keelan M, et al. A randomized controlled trial comparing sequential with triple therapy for Helicobacter pylori in an Aboriginal community in the Canadian North. Can J Gastroenterol. 2013;27:701-6 pubmed
- Meng K, Musekamp G, Seekatz B, Glatz J, Karger G, Kiwus U, et al. Evaluation of a self-management patient education program for patients with chronic heart failure undergoing inpatient cardiac rehabilitation: study protocol of a cluster randomized controlled trial. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2013;13:60 pubmed publisher..include behavioral determinants and self-management health behavior (symptom monitoring, physical activity, medication adherence), health-related quality of life, and treatment satisfaction...
- Correia J, Costa A, Rocha E, Quidute A, Cândido D, Ponciano Â, et al. Pharmacotherapeutic follow-up of patients with Chagas disease using benznidazole: drug-related problems and pharmaceutical interventions. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2017;50:334-340 pubmed publisher..4%). This study indicates the need for pharmacotherapeutic monitoring in patients with Chagas because of the high number of therapeutic interventions, DRPs (approximately 3 DRPs/patient), BNZ adherence, and polypharmacy. ..
- Culliford Semmens N, Tilton E, Webb R, Lennon D, Paku B, Malcolm J, et al. Adequate adherence to benzathine penicillin secondary prophylaxis following the diagnosis of rheumatic heart disease by echocardiographic screening. N Z Med J. 2017;130:50-57 pubmed..This likely reflects the benefit of rheumatic fever registers and community nursing services rather than the pathway of the diagnosis for RHD. ..
- Amalakuhan B, Echevarria K, Restrepo M. Managing community acquired pneumonia in the elderly - the next generation of pharmacotherapy on the horizon. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2017;18:1039-1048 pubmed publisher..The goal of this model is to reorganize a clinician's focus on antibiotic choices in the elderly and bring attention to a seldom discussed topic that may potentially become a health-care crisis in the next decade. ..
- Iqbal Q, Bashir S, Iqbal J, Iftikhar S, Godman B. Assessment of medication adherence among type 2 diabetic patients in Quetta city, Pakistan. Postgrad Med. 2017;129:637-643 pubmed publisherType 2 diabetes (T2DM) is a growing burden among all countries including Pakistan, with medication adherence very important to improve care...
- Rantanen P, Parkkari T, Leikola S, Airaksinen M, Lyles A. An In-home Advanced Robotic System to Manage Elderly Home-care Patients' Medications: A Pilot Safety and Usability Study. Clin Ther. 2017;39:1054-1061 pubmed publisher..the safety profile and usability of an integrated advanced robotic device and telecare system to promote medication adherence for elderly home-care patients. There were two phases...
- Kew K, Carr R, Crossingham I. Lay-led and peer support interventions for adolescents with asthma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;4:CD012331 pubmed publisher..in asthma-related quality of life for adolescents, benefits for asthma control, exacerbations and medication adherence remain unproven...
- Shahady E. Addressing Unmet Needs With Injectable Medications in Type 2 Diabetes Treatment: Medications for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Work in Progress. J Fam Pract. 2017;66:S2-S3 pubmed..Many factors contribute to poor adherence to medications. Some involve the patient, others the health care provider, while others concern limitations with the medications themselves...
- PFEIFFER J, Napúa M, Wagenaar B, Chale F, Hoek R, Micek M, et al. Stepped-Wedge Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial to Promote Option B+ Retention in Central Mozambique. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017;76:273-280 pubmed publisher..The intervention was effective at 30 and 60 days, but not at 90 days. Combined 90-day retention (40%) and adherence (22.5%) were low. Efforts to improve retention are particularly important for women giving birth before ARV refills. ..
- Wittig Wells D, Shapiro S, Higgins M, Samms McPherson J, Winterboer D, Johnson I, et al. Self-Reported Rates of Adherence to Aspirin Prescribed as an Antithrombotic Therapy Following Postoperative Total Joint Replacement. Orthop Nurs. 2017;36:287-292 pubmed publisherPatients may not understand the importance of medication adherence when discharged with aspirin (ASA) as an anticoagulant for venous thromboembolism (VTE) prophylaxis after joint replacement surgery.
- Qato D, Zenk S, Wilder J, Harrington R, Gaskin D, Alexander G. The availability of pharmacies in the United States: 2007-2015. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183172 pubmed publisher..Policy efforts aimed at improving access to prescription medications should ensure the availability of pharmacies and their accommodations align with local population needs. ..
- Paquette M, Riou Franca L, Teutsch C, Diener H, Lu S, Dubner S, et al. Persistence With Dabigatran Therapy at 2 Years in Patients With Atrial Fibrillation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;70:1573-1583 pubmed publisher..Patients from North America, and those with paroxysmal, persistent, or symptomatic AF, may be at a higher risk for discontinuing dabigatran. ..
- Gesesew H, Ward P, Woldemichael K, Mwanri L. Prevalence, trend and risk factors for antiretroviral therapy discontinuation among HIV-infected adults in Ethiopia in 2003-2015. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179533 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it is vital to implement effective programs such as community ART distribution and linkage-case-management to enhance ART linkage and retention. ..
- Freese T, Padwa H, Oeser B, Rutkowski B, Schulte M. Real-World Strategies to Engage and Retain Racial-Ethnic Minority Young Men Who Have Sex with Men in HIV Prevention Services. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2017;31:275-281 pubmed publisher..Examples of programs that utilize these strategies and implications of these findings for policy and practice are discussed. ..
- Aye W, Puckpinyo A, Peltzer K. Non-adherence to anti-retroviral therapy among HIV infected adults in Mon State of Myanmar. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:391 pubmed publisher..Priority measures such as addressing risk behaviour and behavioural change communication tailored to individual patients' lifestyles requires comprehensive interventions to improve adherence. ..
- Adler A, Martin N, Mariani J, Tajer C, Owolabi O, Free C, et al. Mobile phone text messaging to improve medication adherence in secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;4:CD011851 pubmed publisher..Six out of seven trials showed a beneficial effect of mobile phone text messaging for medication adherence. Dale 2015a, reported significantly greater medication adherence score in the intervention group (Mean ..
- Murphy M, Somerville E, Keglovits M, Hu Y, Stark S. In-Home Medication Management Performance Evaluation (HOME-Rx): A Validity Study. Am J Occup Ther. 2017;71:7104190020p1-7104190020p7 pubmed publisher..Older adult participants (n = 5) reported the instrument was relevant, acceptable, and easy to understand. The HOME-Rx appears to be a relevant and valid method to assess performance barriers to medication management in the home. ..
- Albert N. Improving medication adherence in chronic cardiovascular disease. Crit Care Nurse. 2008;28:54-64; quiz 65 pubmed
- Allen J, Curtiss F, Fairman K. Nonadherence, clinical inertia, or therapeutic inertia?. J Manag Care Pharm. 2009;15:690-5 pubmed
- Alsabbagh M, Eurich D, Lix L, Wilson T, Blackburn D. Does the association between adherence to statin medications and mortality depend on measurement approach? A retrospective cohort study. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2017;17:66 pubmed publisher..Our findings clearly demonstrate the need to undertake (and report) multiple approaches when assessing the benefits of medication adherence.
- dos Reis H, Cavalcante F, dos Santos K, Passos M, Ferreira D. Herpes zoster as a sign of AIDS and nonadherence to antiretroviral therapy: a case report. Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2011;66:2179-81 pubmed
- Hatch A, Docherty J, Carpenter D, Ross R, Weiden P. Expert Consensus Survey on Medication Adherence in Psychiatric Patients and Use of a Digital Medicine System. J Clin Psychiatry. 2017;78:e803-e812 pubmed publisher..The results provide a guide to clinicians on the evaluation of suboptimal outcomes, when and how to use the DMS, and the most appropriate interventions to address detected adherence problems. ..
- El Sadr W, Donnell D, Beauchamp G, Hall H, Torian L, ZINGMAN B, et al. Financial Incentives for Linkage to Care and Viral Suppression Among HIV-Positive Patients: A Randomized Clinical Trial (HPTN 065). JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177:1083-1092 pubmed publisher..Achieving linkage to care and viral suppression in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-positive patients improves their well-being and prevents new infections. Current gaps in the HIV care continuum substantially limit such benefits...
- Sexson K, Lindauer A, Harvath T. Discharge Planning and Teaching. Am J Nurs. 2017;117:58-60 pubmed publisher..Each article explains the principles nurses should consider and reinforce with caregivers and is accompanied by a video for the caregiver to watch. The fifth video can be accessed at http://links.lww.com/AJN/A79. ..
- Ransome Y, Dean L, Crawford N, Metzger D, Blank M, Nunn A. How Do Social Capital and HIV/AIDS Outcomes Geographically Cluster and Which Sociocontextual Mechanisms Predict Differences Across Clusters?. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017;76:13-22 pubmed publisher..HIV prevention interventions should account for this phenomenon. Reducing geographic disparities will require interventions tailored to each continuum step and that address socioeconomic factors such as neighborhood median income. ..
- Sabidó Espin M, Munschauer R. Reasons for discontinuation of subcutaneous interferon ?-1a three times a week among patients with multiple sclerosis: a real-world cohort study. BMC Neurol. 2017;17:57 pubmed publisher..60, 1.11-2.30; 3 years 2.31, 1.27-4.22). Potential drivers of discontinuation change over time. Improved awareness of the drivers of discontinuation could lead to targeted interventions to improve adherence. ..
- Puskas C, Kaida A, Miller C, Zhang W, Yip B, Pick N, et al. The adherence gap: a longitudinal examination of men's and women's antiretroviral therapy adherence in British Columbia, 2000-2014. AIDS. 2017;31:827-833 pubmed publisher..Targeted research is required to identify barriers to adherence among women living with HIV to tailor women-centered HIV care and treatment support services. ..