tobacco use cessation
Summary: Ending the TOBACCO habits of smoking, chewing, or snuff use.
- Hudmon K, Prokhorov A, Corelli R. Tobacco cessation counseling: pharmacists' opinions and practices. Patient Educ Couns. 2006;61:152-60 pubmed..Provision of comprehensive training that focuses on promoting self-efficacy for counseling likely will increase pharmacists' tobacco cessation counseling activities. ..
- Gordon J, Istvan J, Haas M. Tobacco cessation via doctors of chiropractic: results of a feasibility study. Nicotine Tob Res. 2010;12:305-8 pubmed publisher..The results of this study were promising and will lead to a randomized clinical trial. If found to be effective, this model could be disseminated to chiropractic practitioners throughout the United States. ..
- Land T, Warner D, Paskowsky M, Cammaerts A, Wetherell L, Kaufmann R, et al. Medicaid coverage for tobacco dependence treatments in Massachusetts and associated decreases in smoking prevalence. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9770 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that a tobacco cessation benefit that includes coverage for medications and behavioral treatments, has few barriers to access, and involves broad promotion can significantly reduce smoking prevalence. ..
- Sarna L, Bialous S, RICE V, Wewers M. Promoting tobacco dependence treatment in nursing education. Drug Alcohol Rev. 2009;28:507-16 pubmed publisher..Efforts are needed to promote curriculum that ensures that all nursing students and practicing nurses receive tobacco control content and are competent in the delivery of interventions; and to disseminate resources to nursing educators ..
- Sorensen G, Stoddard A, Quintiliani L, EBBELING C, Nagler E, Yang M, et al. Tobacco use cessation and weight management among motor freight workers: results of the gear up for health study. Cancer Causes Control. 2010;21:2113-22 pubmed publisherTo present the results of a study of a worksite-based intervention to promote tobacco use cessation and improve weight management among motor freight workers...
- Murphy Hoefer R, Griffith R, Pederson L, Crossett L, Iyer S, Hiller M. A review of interventions to reduce tobacco use in colleges and universities. Am J Prev Med. 2005;28:188-200 pubmed..While some promising results have been noted, rigorous evaluations of a wider range of programs are needed, along with studies that address cultural and ethnic diversity on campuses. ..
- Danaher B, Boles S, Akers L, Gordon J, Severson H. Defining participant exposure measures in Web-based health behavior change programs. J Med Internet Res. 2006;8:e15 pubmed
- Studts J, Burris J, Kearns D, Worth C, Sorrell C. Evidence-based tobacco cessation treatment by dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg. 2011;85:13-21 pubmed..Among dental hygienists, the current study investigated tobacco-related knowledge and attitudes, as well as clinical practices consistent with evidence-based guidelines for tobacco cessation...
- Dwoskin L, Rauhut A, King Pospisil K, Bardo M. Review of the pharmacology and clinical profile of bupropion, an antidepressant and tobacco use cessation agent. CNS Drug Rev. 2006;12:178-207 pubmed..a treatment for two indications, as an antidepressant, the indication for which it was developed, and as a tobacco use cessation agent...
- Petersen P. World Health Organization global policy for improvement of oral health--World Health Assembly 2007. Int Dent J. 2008;58:115-21 pubmed..The policy forms the basis for future development or adjustment of oral health programmes at national level. ..
- Severson H. What have we learned from 20 years of research on smokeless tobacco cessation?. Am J Med Sci. 2003;326:206-11 pubmed..This article will review some unique issues of SLT use that affect cessation and the empirical research on interventions. ..
- Ramseier C, Needleman I, Gallagher J, Lahtinen A, Ainamo A, Alajbeg I, et al. Consensus Report: 2nd European Workshop on Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation for Oral Health Professionals. Int Dent J. 2010;60:3-6 pubmed..b>Tobacco use cessation (TUC) is associated with the potential for reversal of precancer, enhanced outcomes following periodontal ..
- Shelley D, Anno J, Tseng T, Calip G, Wedeles J, Lloyd M, et al. Implementing tobacco use treatment guidelines in public health dental clinics in New York City. J Dent Educ. 2011;75:527-33 pubmed..The results of this study suggest the feasibility and effectiveness of using a tailored multicomponent approach to implement tobacco use treatment guidelines in dental clinics. ..
- Gordon J, Akers L, Severson H, Danaher B, Boles S. Successful participant recruitment strategies for an online smokeless tobacco cessation program. Nicotine Tob Res. 2006;8 Suppl 1:S35-41 pubmed..The use of thematic mailings is novel in research settings. Recruitment of study participants went quickly and smoothly. Google ads and mailings to media outlets were the methods that recruited the highest number of participants. ..
- Fagerström K, Gilljam H, Metcalfe M, Tonstad S, Messig M. Stopping smokeless tobacco with varenicline: randomised double blind placebo controlled trial. BMJ. 2010;341:c6549 pubmed publisher..Varenicline can help people to give up smokeless tobacco and has an acceptable safety profile. The response rate in the placebo group in this study was high, suggesting a population less resistant to treatment than smokers. NCT00717093. ..
- Gordon J, Andrews J, Crews K, Payne T, Severson H, Lichtenstein E. Do faxed quitline referrals add value to dental office-based tobacco-use cessation interventions?. J Am Dent Assoc. 2010;141:1000-7 pubmed
- Davis J, Koerber A. Assessment of tobacco dependence curricula in U.S. dental hygiene programs. J Dent Educ. 2010;74:1066-73 pubmed..Though there is a clear commitment to TDE among dental hygiene programs in the United States, we recommend training to a more intensive level of TDE in order to facilitate broader adoption of comprehensive, evidence-based guidelines. ..
- Hughes J, Rennard S, Fingar J, Talbot S, Callas P, Fagerstrom K. Efficacy of varenicline to prompt quit attempts in smokers not currently trying to quit: a randomized placebo-controlled trial. Nicotine Tob Res. 2011;13:955-64 pubmed publisher..This appeared to be due to decreasing cigarettes/day and level of dependence. ..
- Davis J, Ramseier C, Mattheos N, Schoonheim Klein M, Compton S, Al Hazmi N, et al. Education of tobacco use prevention and cessation for dental professionals--a paradigm shift. Int Dent J. 2010;60:60-72 pubmed
- Zapka J, White M, Reed G, Ockene J, List E, Pbert L, et al. Organizational systems to support publicly funded tobacco treatment services. Am J Prev Med. 2005;28:338-45 pubmed..A major challenge is to develop systems capable of providing population-based feedback to, and between, providers, which will enable further quality improvement efforts. ..
- Wray R, Jupka K, Berman S, Zellin S, Vijaykumar S. Young adults' perceptions about established and emerging tobacco products: results from eight focus groups. Nicotine Tob Res. 2012;14:184-90 pubmed publisher..Mindful of industry innovation, tobacco control advocates must continuously update prevention efforts, seeking new strategies to limit promotion, marketing, and use of new and conventional products. ..
- Nezami E, Sussman S, Pentz M. Motivation in tobacco use cessation research. Subst Use Misuse. 2003;38:25-50 pubmed..Constituents of each of these models are suggested. Implications of these theories of motivation for an integrative model of smoking cessation are discussed. ..
- Levy D, Friend K. A simulation model of policies directed at treating tobacco use and dependence. Med Decis Making. 2002;22:6-17 pubmed..However, further research is needed on the effect of payment policies on the use and effectiveness of tobacco treatments. ..
- Dongre A, Deshmukh P, Murali N, Garg B. Tobacco consumption among adolescents in rural Wardha: where and how tobacco control should focus its attention?. Indian J Cancer. 2008;45:100-6 pubmed..The current consumption of any tobacco products among rural adolescents was found very high. Hence, the multi-pronged intervention strategy is needed to tackle the problem. ..
- Leibel K, Lee J, Goldstein A, Ranney L. Barring intervention? Lesbian and gay bars as an underutilized venue for tobacco interventions. Nicotine Tob Res. 2011;13:507-11 pubmed publisher..Researchers and communities should continue to recognize the importance of clean indoor air laws covering bars and develop additional strategies for reaching LGBT populations with disparities. ..
- Petersen P. Improvement of global oral health--the leadership role of the World Health Organization. Community Dent Health. 2010;27:194-8 pubmed
- Gordon J, Severson H, Seeley J, Christiansen S. Development and evaluation of an interactive tobacco cessation CD-ROM educational program for dental students. J Dent Educ. 2004;68:361-9 pubmed..An interactive educational program such as the one reported herein could be a useful tool for enabling dental professionals to obtain the skills necessary to help their patients quit using tobacco. ..
- Hurt R, Ebbert J, Hays J, McFadden D. Preventing lung cancer by treating tobacco dependence. Clin Chest Med. 2011;32:645-57 pubmed publisher..Treating tobacco dependence is one of the most cost-effective therapies in medicine and it deserves adequate reimbursement for it to be more widely available. ..
- Pendharkar B, Levy S, McQuistan M, Qian F, Squier C, Slach N, et al. Fourth-year dental students' perceived barriers to providing tobacco intervention services. J Dent Educ. 2010;74:1074-85 pubmed
- Pockey J, Song E, Sutfin E, Spangler J, Jones C, Helme D, et al. The need for tobacco cessation in a free clinic population. Addict Behav. 2012;37:1299-302 pubmed publisher..Free clinics present an untapped opportunity to reduce tobacco harm in a population at high risk for tobacco morbidity and mortality. ..
- Sarna L, Bialous S, Barbeau E, McLellan D. Strategies to implement tobacco control policy and advocacy initiatives. Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am. 2006;18:113-22, xiii pubmed..The involvement of the Association of Critical-Care Nurses and other nursing organizations in the Nursing Leadership in Tobacco Control Task Force is described. ..
- Rankin K, Jones D, Benton E. Smokeless tobacco: challenges, products and, cessation. Tex Dent J. 2010;127:589-94 pubmed..The most important motivator for quitting ST cessation remains in the hands of the dentist. ..
- O Donnell J, Hamilton M, Markovic N, Close J. Overcoming barriers to tobacco cessation counselling in dental students. Oral Health Prev Dent. 2010;8:117-24 pubmed..TCC training and practice opportunities for clinical application were effective in this pilot study in improving students' attitudes towards cited barriers. ..
- Curry S, Emery S, Sporer A, Mermelstein R, Flay B, Berbaum M, et al. A national survey of tobacco cessation programs for youths. Am J Public Health. 2007;97:171-7 pubmed..There is considerable homogeneity among community-based tobacco cessation programs for youths. Programs are least prevalent in the types of communities for which national data show increases in youths' smoking prevalence. ..
- Anderson C, Zhu S. Tobacco quitlines: looking back and looking ahead. Tob Control. 2007;16 Suppl 1:i81-6 pubmed..Early research findings were quickly adopted in quitline practice, and future research to answer questions that have arisen through the implementation of quitlines will probably also find quick adoption. ..
- Smith E, Jahnke S, Poston W, Williams L, Haddock C, Schroeder S, et al. Is it time for a tobacco-free military?. N Engl J Med. 2014;371:589-91 pubmed publisher..Prohibiting tobacco use would be entirely consistent with other military requirements regarding health. ..
- Deepak K, Daivadanam M, Pradeepkumar A, Mini G, Thankappan K, Nichter M. Smokeless tobacco use among patients with tuberculosis in Karnataka: the need for cessation services. Natl Med J India. 2012;25:142-5 pubmed..Patients with tuberculosis are advised by their doctors, at the time of diagnosis, to quit smoking. Several patients shift from smoking to smokeless tobacco use, which needs to be addressed while providing tobacco cessation services. ..
- Brame J, Martin R, Tavoc T, Stein M, Curran A. A randomized controlled trial of the effect of standardized patient scenarios on dental hygiene students' confidence in providing tobacco dependence counseling. J Dent Hyg. 2012;86:282-91 pubmed..Clinical experience alone increased confidence. Further studies may help determine how the initial confidence gained by SP training can be sustained and what the role of clinical experience plays in overall confidence in providing TDC. ..
- Mohanty V, Rajesh G, Aruna D. Role of dental institutions in tobacco cessation in India: current status and future prospects. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2013;14:2673-80 pubmed..The present review paper explores the potential role of dental training institutions and recommends various approaches to counter public health jeopardy of tobacco related diseases. ..
- LeppÃ¤nen A, Biermann O, Sundberg C, Tomson T. Perceived feasibility of a primary care intervention for Tobacco Cessation on Prescription targeting disadvantaged groups in Sweden: a qualitative study. BMC Res Notes. 2016;9:151 pubmed publisher..More research is needed to develop the prescription and investigate its effectiveness and cost-effectiveness compared to current strategies for tobacco cessation in a PHC setting. ..
- Albert D. The tobacco-using patient and the dental office. Dent Today. 2004;23:134-9 pubmed
- Vijayan V, Kumar R. Tobacco cessation in India. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci. 2005;47:5-8 pubmed
- Lamarre M, Ratte S. The growing tobacco crisis of tobacco consumption in French-speaking Africa. Promot Educ. 2005;Suppl 4:5-6, 53-4, 64-5 pubmed
- Kochupillai V, Kumar P, Singh D, Aggarwal D, Bhardwaj N, Bhutani M, et al. Effect of rhythmic breathing (Sudarshan Kriya and Pranayam) on immune functions and tobacco addiction. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005;1056:242-52 pubmed..When confirmed in large and randomized studies, this result could mean that the regular practice of SK and P might reduce the incidence and progression of cancer. ..
- Gillman M. Tobacco cessation and new indications for N2O/O2 sedation. SADJ. 2008;63:066 pubmed
- Bialous S, Kaufman N, Sarna L. Tobacco control policies. Semin Oncol Nurs. 2003;19:291-300 pubmed..Nursing participation in the policy process can expand and strengthen these policies' activities. Involvement in tobacco control should be integral to oncology nursing efforts to prevent cancer, promote health, and quality of life. ..
- Sangthong R, Chongsuvivatwong V, Geater A, Jitpiboon W. Decreasing trends of smoking and smoking cessation in successive Thai birth cohorts: age-period-cohort analysis from 1991-2007 national surveys. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2011;12:3081-5 pubmed..Although newer cohorts had less susceptibility to smoking, smokers in newer cohorts had lower odds of smoking cessation. Effective smoking cessation methods should be promoted. ..
- Kerr S, Lawrence M, Darbyshire C, Middleton A, Fitzsimmons L. Tobacco and alcohol-related interventions for people with mild/moderate intellectual disabilities: a systematic review of the literature. J Intellect Disabil Res. 2013;57:393-408 pubmed publisher..In particular there is a need to test the effectiveness of interventions in large-scale, well-designed trials and to ensure that outcome measures are developed/tailored appropriately for this client group. ..
- Maziak W, Arora M, Reddy K, Mao Z. On the gains of seeding tobacco research in developing countries. Tob Control. 2006;15 Suppl 1:i3-4 pubmed
- Mishra G, Majmudar P, Gupta S, Rane P, Hardikar N, Shastri S. Call centre employees and tobacco dependence: making a difference. Indian J Cancer. 2010;47 Suppl 1:43-52 pubmed publisher..Tobacco cessation should be an integral activity in all BPOs, so that the employees receive this service continuously and millions of our youths are protected from the hazards of tobacco. ..
- Chaly P. Tobacco control in India. Indian J Dent Res. 2007;18:2-5 pubmed..Both policy makers and health professionals must work together for achieving a smoke free society for our coming generations. ..
- HIRATSUKA V, Avey J, Trinidad S, Beans J, Robinson R. Views on electronic cigarette use in tobacco screening and cessation in an Alaska Native healthcare setting. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2015;74:27794 pubmed publisher..Preventive screening for tobacco use and clinical cessation counseling should address e-cigarette use. Healthcare provider tobacco cessation messaging should similarly address e-cigarettes. ..
- Sonnenfeld N, Schappert S, Lin S. Racial and ethnic differences in delivery of tobacco-cessation services. Am J Prev Med. 2009;36:21-8 pubmed publisher..Traditional barriers to care among Hispanic patients, such as lack of insurance and more new-patient visits, did not explain the observed differences. ..