Genomes and Genes
Summary: Behaviors associated with the ingesting of alcoholic beverages, including social drinking.
- Makelarski J, Romitti P, Sun L, Burns T, Druschel C, Suarez L, et al. Periconceptional maternal alcohol consumption and neural tube defects. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2013;97:152-60 pubmed publisher..Using data from the National Birth Defects Prevention Study, associations between maternal reports of periconceptional (1 month prior through 2 months postconception) alcohol consumption and NTDs were examined...
- McCambridge J, Kypri K, Bendtsen P, Porter J. The use of deception in public health behavioral intervention trials: a case study of three online alcohol trials. Am J Bioeth. 2013;13:39-47 pubmed publisher..We discuss the value of the approach of pragmatism for examining these kinds of ethical issues that can arise in research on public health interventions. ..
- Diepeveen S, Ling T, Suhrcke M, Roland M, Marteau T. Public acceptability of government intervention to change health-related behaviours: a systematic review and narrative synthesis. BMC Public Health. 2013;13:756 pubmed publisher..Experimental studies are needed to assess how the presentation of the problem and the benefits of intervention might increase acceptability for those interventions which are more effective but currently less acceptable. ..
- Malaju M, Asale G. Association of Khat and alcohol use with HIV infection and age at first sexual initiation among youths visiting HIV testing and counseling centers in Gamo-Gofa Zone, South West Ethiopia. BMC Int Health Hum Rights. 2013;13:10 pubmed publisher..070)] and khat use [Adj. HR & (95% CI) = 7.241 (1.871, 28.016)]. Strategies should be designed to control the use of alcohol and khat which were found to be predictors of HIV infection and early sexual initiation in this study. ..
- Schofield T, Denson T. Alcohol outlet business hours and violent crime in New York state. Alcohol Alcohol. 2013;48:363-9 pubmed publisher..m. was $194 million in 2009. The findings suggest that alcohol outlet business hours affect the incidence of reported violence even in regions that would not be considered to have severe problems with alcohol-fueled violence. ..
- Au Yeung S, Jiang C, Cheng K, Liu B, Zhang W, Lam T, et al. Is aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 a credible genetic instrument for alcohol use in Mendelian randomization analysis in Southern Chinese men?. Int J Epidemiol. 2013;42:318-28 pubmed publisher..ALDH2 variants are a credible genetic instrument for Mendelian randomization studies of alcohol use and many attributes of health in Southern Chinese men. ..
- Matsuo K, Oze I, Hosono S, Ito H, Watanabe M, Ishioka K, et al. The aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) Glu504Lys polymorphism interacts with alcohol drinking in the risk of stomach cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2013;34:1510-5 pubmed publisher..effect on acetaldehyde metabolism, little is known about its impact on stomach cancer risk when combined with alcohol drinking. This case-control study included a total of 697 incident stomach cancer case subjects and 1372 non-cancer ..
- McCambridge J, Hawkins B, Holden C. Industry use of evidence to influence alcohol policy: a case study of submissions to the 2008 Scottish government consultation. PLoS Med. 2013;10:e1001431 pubmed publisher..Jim McCambridge and colleagues analyze industry submissions to a Scottish Government consultation on whole-population approaches to alcohol policy. ..
- Liu Y, Colditz G, Rosner B, Berkey C, Collins L, Schnitt S, et al. Alcohol intake between menarche and first pregnancy: a prospective study of breast cancer risk. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013;105:1571-8 pubmed publisher..Alcohol consumption before first pregnancy was consistently associated with increased risks of proliferative BBD and breast cancer. ..
- Giliberti D, MOHAN S, Brown L, Gauthier T. Perinatal exposure to alcohol: implications for lung development and disease. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2013;14:17-21 pubmed publisher..Continued investigations into the identification and understanding of the mechanisms of alcohol-induced alterations in the premature lung will advance the care of this vulnerable patient population. ..
- Ahacic K, Kåreholt I, Helgason A, Allebeck P. Non-response bias and hazardous alcohol use in relation to previous alcohol-related hospitalization: comparing survey responses with population data. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy. 2013;8:10 pubmed publisher..While people with severe alcohol problems--i.e. a history of alcohol-related hospitalizations--are less likely to respond to population surveys, this particular bias is not likely to alter prevalence estimates of hazardous use. ..
- Musinguzi G, Nuwaha F. Prevalence, awareness and control of hypertension in Uganda. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62236 pubmed publisher..2%) compared to males (2.5%). More than a quarter of the adult population had hypertension but awareness and control was very low. Measures are needed to enhance control, awareness and prevention of hypertension. ..
- Seif T, Chang S, Simms J, Gibb S, Dadgar J, Chen B, et al. Cortical activation of accumbens hyperpolarization-active NMDARs mediates aversion-resistant alcohol intake. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:1094-100 pubmed publisher..Our results identify a mechanism by which hyperpolarization-active NMDA receptors under mPFC- and insula-to-NAcore inputs sustain aversion-resistant alcohol intake. ..
- Reine I, Novo M, Hammarstrom A. Unemployment and ill health--a gender analysis: results from a 14-year follow-up of the Northern Swedish Cohort. Public Health. 2013;127:214-22 pubmed publisher..At present, the mechanisms behind the health consequences are better understood among women. Research would benefit from developing theories in order to explain how youth unemployment leads to gendered health consequences. ..
- Meier P, Meng Y, Holmes J, Baumberg B, Purshouse R, Hill McManus D, et al. Adjusting for unrecorded consumption in survey and per capita sales data: quantification of impact on gender- and age-specific alcohol-attributable fractions for oral and pharyngeal cancers in Great Britain. Alcohol Alcohol. 2013;48:241-9 pubmed publisher..These revisions lead to markedly higher estimated levels of alcohol-attributable harm. ..
- Neufeld M, Rehm J. Alcohol consumption and mortality in Russia since 2000: are there any changes following the alcohol policy changes starting in 2006?. Alcohol Alcohol. 2013;48:222-30 pubmed publisher..The regulations introduced since 2006 seem to have positive effects on both drinking behavior and health outcomes. However, there is an urgent need for further alcohol-control strategies to reduce alcohol-related harm. ..
- Jayalekshmi P, Nandakumar A, Akiba S, Gangadharan P, Koriyama C. Associations of tobacco use and alcohol drinking with laryngeal and hypopharyngeal cancer risks among men in Karunagappally, Kerala, India -Karunagappally cohort study. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e73716 pubmed publisher..Tobacco chewing was found not related to the risk of hypopharynx or larynx cancer. ..
- Donovan J, Molina B. Types of alcohol use experience from childhood through adolescence. J Adolesc Health. 2013;53:453-9 pubmed publisher..A quarter of the sample drank before age 15 years. Experience of intoxication increased throughout adolescence, even among those who had ever consumed just three to four drinks on an occasion. ..
- Froehlich J, Hausauer B, Federoff D, Fischer S, Rasmussen D. Prazosin reduces alcohol drinking throughout prolonged treatment and blocks the initiation of drinking in rats selectively bred for high alcohol intake. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013;37:1552-60 pubmed publisherThis study examined whether prazosin reduces alcohol drinking over the course of prolonged treatment and whether it blocks the initiation of alcohol drinking in rats with a genetic predisposition toward high alcohol drinking, that is ..
- Nan H, Lee J, Rimm E, Fuchs C, Giovannucci E, Cho E. Prospective study of alcohol consumption and the risk of colorectal cancer before and after folic acid fortification in the United States. Ann Epidemiol. 2013;23:558-63 pubmed publisher..10) in the prefortification period and 1.07 (95% CI, 0.69-1.65; P for trend, 0.67) in the postfortification period. Folic acid fortification may attenuate the adverse effect of high alcohol consumption on the risk of colorectal cancer. ..
- Gao C, Ding J, Li S, Liu Y, Qian Y, Chang J, et al. Active and passive smoking, and alcohol drinking and breast cancer risk in chinese women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2013;14:993-6 pubmedTo evaluate the relation between smoking, alcohol drinking and risk of breast cancer in Chinese women, we conducted a case-control study with 669 cases and 682 population-based controls in Jiangsu Province of China...
- Froehlich J, Hausauer B, Rasmussen D. Combining naltrexone and prazosin in a single oral medication decreases alcohol drinking more effectively than does either drug alone. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013;37:1763-70 pubmed publisher..Given that NTX and prazosin can each reduce alcohol drinking in rats selectively bred for alcohol preference and high voluntary alcohol drinking (alcohol-preferring "..
- Valencia Martín J, Galán I, Guallar Castillon P, Rodriguez Artalejo F. Alcohol drinking patterns and health-related quality of life reported in the Spanish adult population. Prev Med. 2013;57:703-7 pubmed publisherTo examine the association between alcohol drinking patterns and health-related quality of life (HRQL). Population-based cross-sectional study was conducted in 2008-2010 among 12,715 adult individuals in Spain...
- Petti S, Masood M, Scully C. The magnitude of tobacco smoking-betel quid chewing-alcohol drinking interaction effect on oral cancer in South-East Asia. A meta-analysis of observational studies. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e78999 pubmed publisherTobacco smoking, betel quid chewing and alcohol drinking are oral cancer risk factors. Observational studies unanimously report that oral cancer risk in smoking-drinking-chewing exposed subjects is exceptionally high...
- Kontis V, Mathers C, Rehm J, Stevens G, Shield K, Bonita R, et al. Contribution of six risk factors to achieving the 25×25 non-communicable disease mortality reduction target: a modelling study. Lancet. 2014;384:427-37 pubmed publisher..On the basis of mortality benefits and feasibility, a more ambitious target than currently agreed should be adopted for tobacco use. UK MRC. ..
- Guo S, Huang T, Huang J, Lin M, Hong R, Chang C, et al. Alcohol, betel-nut and cigarette consumption are negatively associated with health promoting behaviors in Taiwan: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2013;13:257 pubmed publisher..Further research is required to understand the reasons why the subjects consume ABC, and explore ways to prevent initiation and enhance cessation of ABC habits in this population. ..
- Studer J, Baggio S, Mohler Kuo M, Dermota P, Gaume J, Bertholet N, et al. Examining non-response bias in substance use research--are late respondents proxies for non-respondents?. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013;132:316-23 pubmed publisher..However, converted late respondents cannot be seen as proxies of non-respondents, and are at best only indicative of existing response bias due to persistent non-respondents. ..
- Klop B, do Rego A, Cabezas M. Alcohol and plasma triglycerides. Curr Opin Lipidol. 2013;24:321-6 pubmed publisher..Nevertheless, patients should be advised to reduce or stop alcohol consumption in case of hypertriglyceridemia. ..
- Lawlor D, Nordestgaard B, Benn M, Zuccolo L, Tybjaerg Hansen A, Davey Smith G. Exploring causal associations between alcohol and coronary heart disease risk factors: findings from a Mendelian randomization study in the Copenhagen General Population Study. Eur Heart J. 2013;34:2519-28 pubmed publisher..Our results show adverse effects of long-term alcohol consumption on BP and BMI. We also found novel evidence for a potentially beneficial effect on triglyceride levels, which needs further replication. ..
- Sawada N, Inoue M, Iwasaki M, Sasazuki S, Yamaji T, Shimazu T, et al. Alcohol and smoking and subsequent risk of prostate cancer in Japanese men: the Japan Public Health Center-based prospective study. Int J Cancer. 2014;134:971-8 pubmed publisher..Here, we investigated the association of alcohol drinking and smoking and prostate cancer according to stage, as well as prostate cancer detected by subjective ..
- Emslie C, Hunt K, Lyons A. The role of alcohol in forging and maintaining friendships amongst Scottish men in midlife. Health Psychol. 2013;32:33-41 pubmed publisher..Health promotion experts need to be sensitive to cultural constructions of gender to address the high rates of drinking in this age group. ..
- Grant W. Trends in diet and Alzheimer's disease during the nutrition transition in Japan and developing countries. J Alzheimers Dis. 2014;38:611-20 pubmed publisher..Evidently AD rates will continue rising in non-Western countries for some time unless we address major risk factors involving diet, obesity, and smoking. ..
- Voogt C, Poelen E, Kleinjan M, Lemmers L, Engels R. The effectiveness of the 'what do you drink' web-based brief alcohol intervention in reducing heavy drinking among students: a two-arm parallel group randomized controlled trial. Alcohol Alcohol. 2013;48:312-21 pubmed publisher..However, there is preliminary evidence that the WDYD intervention is effective in lowering drinking levels for subgroups of heavy drinking students in the short term. ..
- Sayal K, Draper E, Fraser R, Barrow M, Davey Smith G, Gray R. Light drinking in pregnancy and mid-childhood mental health and learning outcomes. Arch Dis Child. 2013;98:107-11 pubmed publisher..Light drinking in pregnancy does not appear to be associated with clinically important adverse effects for mental health and academic outcomes at the age of 11 years. ..
- Heianza Y, Arase Y, Saito K, Tsuji H, Fujihara K, Hsieh S, et al. Role of alcohol drinking pattern in type 2 diabetes in Japanese men: the Toranomon Hospital Health Management Center Study 11 (TOPICS 11). Am J Clin Nutr. 2013;97:561-8 pubmed publisher..Usual quantity per drinking occasion was a more important determinant than was weekly drinking frequency in the association between alcohol consumption and risk of diabetes in Japanese men. ..
- Phillips C, Dillon C, Harrington J, McCarthy V, Kearney P, Fitzgerald A, et al. Defining metabolically healthy obesity: role of dietary and lifestyle factors. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e76188 pubmed publisher..Stratification of obese individuals based on their metabolic health phenotype may be important in ascertaining the appropriate therapeutic or intervention strategy. ..
- Kamsa ard S, Promthet S, Lewington S, Burrett J, Sherliker P, Kamsa Ard S, et al. Association between smoking and mortality: Khon Kaen cohort study, Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2013;14:2643-7 pubmed..model was used to analyse the association between smoking and death, controlling for age, education level and alcohol drinking, and confidence intervals were calculated using the floating risk method...
- Tapocik J, Barbier E, Flanigan M, Solomon M, Pincus A, Pilling A, et al. microRNA-206 in rat medial prefrontal cortex regulates BDNF expression and alcohol drinking. J Neurosci. 2014;34:4581-8 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, recruitment of miR-206 in the mPFC contributes to escalated alcohol consumption following a history of dependence, with BDNF as a possible mediator of its action...
- Catalá Miñana A, Lila M, Oliver A. [Alcohol consumption in men punished for intimate partner violence: individual and contextual factors]. Adicciones. 2013;25:19-28 pubmed..New tools for enhancing interventions in rehabilitation programs with men convicted for violence against women is provided. ..
- Bauer M, Delaney J, Mohlenkamp S, Jöckel K, Kronmal R, Lehmann N, et al. Comparison of factors associated with carotid intima-media thickness in the Multi-ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA) and the Heinz Nixdorf Recall Study (HNR). J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2013;26:667-73 pubmed publisher..A comparison of the associations between traditional cardiovascular risk factors and CIMT across two culturally diverse populations showed remarkable consistency. ..
- Fedirko V, Jenab M, Rinaldi S, Biessy C, Allen N, Dossus L, et al. Alcohol drinking and endometrial cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study. Ann Epidemiol. 2013;23:93-8 pubmed publisher..Null associations were also found between alcohol consumption at age 20 years, lifetime pattern of alcohol drinking, and baseline alcohol intake from specific alcoholic beverages and endometrial cancer risk...
- Sabia S, Elbaz A, Britton A, Bell S, Dugravot A, Shipley M, et al. Alcohol consumption and cognitive decline in early old age. Neurology. 2014;82:332-9 pubmed publisher..21 [-0.37, -0.04]) and executive function (-0.17 [-0.32, -0.01]). Excessive alcohol consumption in men (?36 g/d) was associated with faster cognitive decline compared with light to moderate alcohol consumption. ..
- Edwards S, Baynes B, Carmichael C, Zamora Martinez E, Barrus M, Koob G, et al. Traumatic stress reactivity promotes excessive alcohol drinking and alters the balance of prefrontal cortex-amygdala activity. Transl Psychiatry. 2013;3:e296 pubmed publisher..activation in subregions of the mPFC and the amygdala, which were correlated with changes in avoidance and alcohol drinking. Furthermore, activity of upstream regions was differentially predictive of downstream regional activity in ..
- May P, Blankenship J, Marais A, Gossage J, Kalberg W, Barnard R, et al. Approaching the prevalence of the full spectrum of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders in a South African population-based study. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013;37:818-30 pubmed publisher..FASD persists in this community. The data reflect an increased ability to provide accurate and discriminating diagnoses throughout the continuum of FASD. ..
- Ferreira Antunes J, Toporcov T, Biazevic M, Boing A, Scully C, Petti S. Joint and independent effects of alcohol drinking and tobacco smoking on oral cancer: a large case-control study. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e68132 pubmed publisherb>Alcohol drinking and tobacco smoking are assumed to have significant independent and joint effects on oral cancer (OC) development...
- Agius P, Taft A, Hemphill S, Toumbourou J, McMorris B. Excessive alcohol use and its association with risky sexual behaviour: a cross-sectional analysis of data from Victorian secondary school students. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2013;37:76-82 pubmed publisher..Excessive drinking was not associated with condom non-use. Risky sex - multiple sexual partners and regretted sex due to alcohol - and excessive drinking are highly prevalent and co-associated among Victorian late secondary students. ..
- Hsiao J, Ou C, Lo H, Huang C, Lee W, Huang J, et al. Allergies and risk of head and neck cancer: an original study plus meta-analysis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e55138 pubmed publisher..Understanding the relationship between allergies and HNC may help devise effective strategies to reduce and treat HNC. ..
- Abe S, Stickley A, Roberts B, Richardson E, Abbott P, Rotman D, et al. Changing patterns of fruit and vegetable intake in countries of the former Soviet Union. Public Health Nutr. 2013;16:1924-32 pubmed publisher..This highlights the urgent need for a greater focus to be placed on population nutrition policies to avoid nutrition-related diseases in the FSU countries. ..
- Shield K, Rylett M, Gmel G, Gmel G, Kehoe Chan T, Rehm J. Global alcohol exposure estimates by country, territory and region for 2005--a contribution to the Comparative Risk Assessment for the 2010 Global Burden of Disease Study. Addiction. 2013;108:912-22 pubmed publisher..1 litres per year. However, the prevalence of abstention, level of alcohol consumption and patterns of drinking vary widely across regions of the world. ..
- Touvier M, Druesne Pecollo N, Kesse Guyot E, Andreeva V, Galan P, Hercberg S, et al. Demographic, socioeconomic, disease history, dietary and lifestyle cancer risk factors associated with alcohol consumption. Int J Cancer. 2014;134:445-59 pubmed publisher..0001. The multiplicity of deleterious lifestyle behaviors combined with alcohol drinking must be taken into account in cancer prevention efforts...
- Zehe J, Colder C, Read J, Wieczorek W, Lengua L. Social and generalized anxiety symptoms and alcohol and cigarette use in early adolescence: the moderating role of perceived peer norms. Addict Behav. 2013;38:1931-9 pubmed publisher..Social context and sex are critical for understanding the role of different forms of anxiety in the etiology of adolescent alcohol and cigarette use. ..
- Kokaze A, Ishikawa M, Matsunaga N, Karita K, Yoshida M, Shimada N, et al. Combined effect of mitochondrial DNA 5178 C/A polymorphism and alcohol consumption on estimated glomerular filtration rate in male Japanese health check-up examinees: a cross-sectional study. BMC Nephrol. 2013;14:35 pubmed publisher..The present results suggest a joint effect of Mt5178 C/A polymorphism and alcohol consumption on eGFR and the risk of mildly decreased eGFR in male Japanese subjects. ..
- Hasin D, Aharonovich E, O LEARY A, Greenstein E, Pavlicova M, Arunajadai S, et al. Reducing heavy drinking in HIV primary care: a randomized trial of brief intervention, with and without technological enhancement. Addiction. 2013;108:1230-40 pubmed publisher..For alcohol-dependent HIV patients, enhancing MI with HealthCall may offer additional benefit, without extensive additional staff involvement. ..
- Boniface S, Shelton N. How is alcohol consumption affected if we account for under-reporting? A hypothetical scenario. Eur J Public Health. 2013;23:1076-81 pubmed publisher..It is crucial that further research explores the population distribution of under-reporting. ..
- Prabhu A, Obi K, Rubenstein J. The synergistic effects of alcohol and tobacco consumption on the risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma: a meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol. 2014;109:822-7 pubmed publisher..The observed combined effect of the two factors is almost double if there were no synergy. Efforts for controlling the burden of ESCC should focus on individuals who use both alcohol and tobacco. ..
- Ray L, Bujarski S, MacKillop J, Courtney K, Monti P, Miotto K. Subjective response to alcohol among alcohol-dependent individuals: effects of the ?-opioid receptor (OPRM1) gene and alcoholism severity. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013;37 Suppl 1:E116-24 pubmed publisher..A secondary aim of this study is to examine alcoholism severity as a predictor of subjective responses to alcohol...