Summary: Familiarity and comfort in using computers efficiently.
- Stellefson M, Hanik B, Chaney B, Chaney D, Tennant B, Chavarria E. eHealth literacy among college students: a systematic review with implications for eHealth education. J Med Internet Res. 2011;13:e102 pubmed publisher..College students, especially in the health and medical professions, would be well served to receive more customized college-level instruction that improves general eHealth literacy. ..
- Robinson C, Graham J. Perceived Internet health literacy of HIV-positive people through the provision of a computer and Internet health education intervention. Health Info Libr J. 2010;27:295-303 pubmed publisher..Studies with larger numbers of participants should be undertaken to determine if brief interventions improve self-care, patient outcomes and use of emergency services. ..
- Lin T. A computer literacy scale for newly enrolled nursing college students: development and validation. J Nurs Res. 2011;19:305-17 pubmed publisher..b>Computer literacy is defined as basic computer skills, whereas computer competency is defined as the computer skills necessary ..
- Bers M. Beyond computer literacy: supporting youth's positive development through technology. New Dir Youth Dev. 2010;2010:13-23 pubmed publisher..The Positive Technological Development framework (PTD), a natural extension of the computer literacy and the technological fluency movements that have influenced the world of educational technology, adds ..
- Mohammed E, Andargie G, Meseret S, Girma E. Knowledge and utilization of computer among health workers in Addis Ababa hospitals, Ethiopia: computer literacy in the health sector. BMC Res Notes. 2013;6:106 pubmed publisher..Hence, programs targeted at enhancing knowledge and skill of computer use and increasing access to computer should be designed. The association between computer knowledge/skill and health care delivery competence should be studied. ..
- Bodie G, Dutta M. Understanding health literacy for strategic health marketing: eHealth literacy, health disparities, and the digital divide. Health Mark Q. 2008;25:175-203 pubmed publisher..We conclude the article by suggesting pragmatic implications of our analysis. ..
- Gilmour J. Reducing disparities in the access and use of Internet health information. a discussion paper. Int J Nurs Stud. 2007;44:1270-8 pubmed..The challenge for nurses and other health professionals is directing that knowledge to the groups most disadvantaged in the current health care systems, with an agenda of reducing inequalities in access to health information. ..
- Xie B. Effects of an eHealth literacy intervention for older adults. J Med Internet Res. 2011;13:e90 pubmed publisher..Further research is necessary before a more firm conclusion can be drawn. These findings contribute to the literatures on adult learning, social interdependence theory, and health literacy. ..
- Gathoni N. Enhancing access to health information in Africa: a librarian's perspective. J Health Commun. 2012;17 Suppl 2:18-22 pubmed publisher..These groups can provide assistance through training, dissemination, information repackaging, and other approaches known to improve information literacy. ..
- Dumitru R, Bürkle T, Potapov S, Lausen B, Wiese B, Prokosch H. Use and perception of internet for health related purposes in Germany: results of a national survey. Int J Public Health. 2007;52:275-85 pubmed..Despite booming of Internet use in Germany, consumers still value and use more the traditional sources of health information/communication with their doctors. Followup studies with a subsequent survey in 2007 will be pursued. ..
- Ameh N, Kene T, Ameh E. Computer knowledge amongst clinical year medical students in a resource poor setting. Afr Health Sci. 2008;8:40-3 pubmed..It is important that computer education be taught to the students to enhance their ability to use electronic information and communicate more effectively using computer resources. ..
- Casebeer L, Bennett N, Kristofco R, Carillo A, Centor R. Physician Internet medical information seeking and on-line continuing education use patterns. J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2002;22:33-42 pubmed..A sense of high utility demands content that is focused and well indexed. The roles of the CE provider must be reshaped to include helping physicians seek and construct the kind of knowledge they need to improve patient care. ..
- Zarcadoolas C, Blanco M, Boyer J, Pleasant A. Unweaving the Web: an exploratory study of low-literate adults' navigation skills on the World Wide Web. J Health Commun. 2002;7:309-24 pubmed..We discuss preliminary assumptions that can be used to inform the development of Web tools for this target audience, and directions for future applied research. ..
- Nurjahan M, Lim T, Yeong S, Foong A, Ware J. Utilization of information technology in medical education: a questionnaire survey of students in a Malaysian institution. Med J Malaysia. 2002;57 Suppl E:58-66 pubmed..The results suggests that in order to increase the level of computer literacy among medical students, positive steps would need to be taken, for example the formal inclusion of ICT ..
- Hansen D, Derry H, Resnick P, Richardson C. Adolescents searching for health information on the Internet: an observational study. J Med Internet Res. 2003;5:e25 pubmed..Adolescents may have unique health and computer literacy needs...
- Bello I, Arogundade F, Sanusi A, Ezeoma I, Abioye Kuteyi E, Akinsola A. Knowledge and utilization of Information Technology among health care professionals and students in Ile-Ife, Nigeria: a case study of a university teaching hospital. J Med Internet Res. 2004;6:e45 pubmed..This would likely have more impact on the target population than ad hoc arrangements. ..
- Mansoor I. Computer skills among medical learners: a survey at King Abdul Aziz University, Jeddah. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2002;14:13-5 pubmed..Expansion of computer-assisted learning requires careful strategic planning, resource sharing, staff incentives, and active promotion of multidisciplinary working and effective quality control. ..
- Bleakley A, Merzel C, Vandevanter N, Messeri P. Computer access and Internet use among urban youths. Am J Public Health. 2004;94:744-6 pubmed..Fifty-five percent of the sample reported seeking health information on the Internet, which was associated with positive beliefs about getting a health checkup and frequent Internet use. ..
- Seago B, Schlesinger J, Hampton C. Using a decade of data on medical student computer literacy for strategic planning. J Med Libr Assoc. 2002;90:202-9 pubmed..of Medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University have been surveyed with a written questionnaire on their computer literacy. The survey's purpose is to learn the students' levels of knowledge, skill, and experience with computer ..
- Eysenbach G, Kohler C. How do consumers search for and appraise health information on the world wide web? Qualitative study using focus groups, usability tests, and in-depth interviews. BMJ. 2002;324:573-7 pubmed..Further observational studies are needed to design and evaluate educational and technological innovations for guiding consumers to high quality health information on the web. ..
- Mattheos N, Nattestad A, Schittek M, Attstrom R. Computer literacy and attitudes among students in 16 European dental schools: current aspects, regional differences and future trends. Eur J Dent Educ. 2002;6:30-5 pubmed..Less than half the students have been exposed to some form of computer literacy education in their universities, with the great majority acquiring their competence in other ways...
- Jerant A, Lloyd A. Applied medical informatics and computing skills of students, residents, and faculty. Fam Med. 2000;32:267-72 pubmed..While upcoming medical students and interns will demand more advanced training, faculty may not have the skills to provide it. ..
- Howatson Jones L. Designing web-based education courses for nurses. Nurs Stand. 2004;19:41-4 pubmed..It concludes that further research into what nurses want from web-based learning may better inform course design and the development of other web-based educational resources. ..
- Graveley E, Lust B, Fullerton J. Undergraduate computer literacy. Evaluation and intervention. Comput Nurs. 1999;17:166-70 pubmed..After the sessions students again rated their skill levels. An analysis of the before and after data showed a mean gain score of 5.5 points, with each skill showing a significant increase from the before to the after assessment. ..
- Lai C, Arthur D, Chau W. Implication of Internet growth on enhancing health of disadvantaged groups in China: a global perspective. J Clin Nurs. 2004;13:68-73 pubmed..However, it is suggested that this will become a growth area as older people and their caregivers may well bypass traditional care for telehealth care and Internet information-based systems. ..
- Samuel M, Coombes J, Miranda J, Melvin R, Young E, Azarmina P. Assessing computer skills in Tanzanian medical students: an elective experience. BMC Public Health. 2004;4:37 pubmed..A pilot scheme utilising UK elective students to tutor basic skills showed potential. Attention is required to develop interventions that can improve ICT skills, as well as computer access, in order to bridge the digital divide. ..
- Inamdar S, Rotti S. Computer use among medical students in an institution in southern India. Natl Med J India. 2004;17:8-10 pubmed..This study revealed high computer use among medical students in an institution with good computer facilities. The majority expressed their willingness to undergo further training. ..
- Peterson M, Rowat J, Kreiter C, Mandel J. Medical students' use of information resources: is the digital age dawning?. Acad Med. 2004;79:89-95 pubmed..The current generation of students may be the leaders in a medical culture shift from paper to electronic resources. ..
- Hollander S. Assessing and enhancing medical students' computer skills: a two-year experience. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1999;87:67-73 pubmed..Results contributed to an increased effort to integrate computer applications into the medical curriculum and to use computers as a means of communicating with students. ..
- Cline R, Haynes K. Consumer health information seeking on the Internet: the state of the art. Health Educ Res. 2001;16:671-92 pubmed..Both interpersonal and mass communication concepts open avenues for investigation and understanding the influence of the Internet on health beliefs and behaviors, health care, medical outcomes, and the health care system. ..
- Virtanen J, Nieminen P. Information and communication technology among undergraduate dental students in Finland. Eur J Dent Educ. 2002;6:147-52 pubmed..The younger students have more interest in ICT and better skills, which presents a challenge for dental education in the future. ..
- Debourgh G. Predictors of student satisfaction in distance-delivered graduate nursing courses: what matters most?. J Prof Nurs. 2003;19:149-63 pubmed..The findings of this study provide essential information to faculty responsible for the design and delivery of effective instruction and to students pursuing flexible and convenient options for advanced education. ..
- Matney S, Brewster P, Sward K, Cloyes K, Staggers N. Philosophical approaches to the nursing informatics data-information-knowledge-wisdom framework. ANS Adv Nurs Sci. 2011;34:6-18 pubmed publisher..Computer systems can support wisdom development. Wisdom is an important element of the DIKW framework and adds value to the role of nursing informaticists and nursing science. ..
- Chu A, Mastel Smith B. The outcomes of anxiety, confidence, and self-efficacy with Internet health information retrieval in older adults: a pilot study. Comput Inform Nurs. 2010;28:222-8 pubmed publisher..The study demonstrated that a computer course can help reduce anxiety and increase confidence and self-efficacy in online health searches in older adults. ..
- Holmstrom I. Decision aid software programs in telenursing: not used as intended? Experiences of Swedish telenurses. Nurs Health Sci. 2007;9:23-8 pubmed..They were not fully adapted to current clinical practice, focusing mainly on acute conditions. Nurses worked to a large extent with self-care advice, often over-riding the recommendations made. ..
- Koivunen M, Valimaki M, Pitkanen A, Kuosmanen L. A preliminary usability evaluation of Web-based portal application for patients with schizophrenia. J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs. 2007;14:462-9 pubmed..Emphasis should be put on nurses' motivation and concerns regarding possible negative effects of the portal, which may influence the future implementation of eHealth applications in clinical practice. ..
- Jones S, Murphy F, Edwards M, James J. Doing things differently: advantages and disadvantages of Web questionnaires. Nurse Res. 2008;15:15-26 pubmed..Although they encountered problems, this approach to data collection appears to have potential. ..
- Malinowsky C, Almkvist O, Nygård L, Kottorp A. Individual variability and environmental characteristics influence older adults' abilities to manage everyday technology. Int Psychogeriatr. 2012;24:484-95 pubmed publisher..Additionally, adaptations in environmental characteristics could simplify the management of ET to support older adults as technology users. ..
- Tanabe L, Kobayashi R. [Profile, competencies and digital fluency of nurses in the Professional Improvement Program]. Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2013;47:943-9 pubmed publisher..Professional competencies required for technology management referred to knowing how to be innovative, creative, and updated to identify and manage software and to use technological resources. ..
- Candela L, Bowles C. Recent RN graduate perceptions of educational preparation. Nurs Educ Perspect. 2008;29:266-71 pubmed..In addition, respondents felt their programs prepared them more for success on the NCLEX-RN than for practice. Recommendations for addressing these issues are offered. ..
- Ronquillo C, Currie L, Rodney P. The Evolution of Data-Information-Knowledge-Wisdom in Nursing Informatics. ANS Adv Nurs Sci. 2016;39:E1-18 pubmed publisher..We offer that if the model is to continue to move forward, its role and functions must be explicitly addressed. ..
- Shaw B, Hawkins R, Arora N, McTavish F, Pingree S, Gustafson D. An exploratory study of predictors of participation in a computer support group for women with breast cancer. Comput Inform Nurs. 2006;24:18-27 pubmed..Implications for improving psychosocial interventions for women with breast cancer are discussed, and future research objectives are suggested. ..
- Jones E, Goldsmith M, Effken J, Button K, Crago M. Creating and testing a deaf-friendly, stop-smoking web site intervention. Am Ann Deaf. 2010;155:96-102 pubmed..Deaf community members participated in all phases of development and testing, and a Deaf former smoker served as the moderator for the site. Evaluations were positive, with emphasis on interactive and visual aspects of the site. ..
- Goldsworthy S, Goodman B, Muirhead B. Goal orientation and its relationship to academic success in a laptop-based BScN program. Int J Nurs Educ Scholarsh. 2005;2:Article 22 pubmed..Specific teaching interventions may be developed to accommodate varying learning and motivational styles in relation to comfort with technology. ..
- Kuiper R. Metacognitive factors that impact student nurse use of point of care technology in clinical settings. Int J Nurs Educ Scholarsh. 2010;7:Article5 pubmed publisher..Significant correlations between user perceptions and computer self-efficacy suggested greater confidence in abilities with technology resulting in increased self-awareness and achievement of learning outcomes. ..
- van den Brink J, Moorman P, de Boer M, Hop W, Pruyn J, Verwoerd C, et al. Impact on quality of life of a telemedicine system supporting head and neck cancer patients: a controlled trial during the postoperative period at home. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2007;14:198-205 pubmed..Only one of these five quality of life parameters remained significantly different at 12 weeks. This study adds to the sparse evidence that telemedicine may be beneficial for the quality of life of cancer patients. ..
- Zary N, Johnson G, Fors U. Web-based virtual patients in dentistry: factors influencing the use of cases in the Web-SP system. Eur J Dent Educ. 2009;13:2-9 pubmed publisher..Teacher led seminars may still be of importance to provide credibility to the VPs by integrating them into the curriculum. ..
- Hwang J, Park H. Factors associated with nurses' informatics competency. Comput Inform Nurs. 2011;29:256-62 pubmed publisher..The study findings suggest that the enhancement of basic computer skills and incorporation of informatics into formal nursing curricula are needed to improve the nurses' competency in managing and using healthcare information. ..
- Phillips R, Bonsteel S. The faculty and information specialist partnership: stimulating student interest and experiential learning. Nurse Educ. 2010;35:136-8 pubmed publisher..The authors describe the development and implementation of simple research projects in an undergraduate nursing research course and the collaboration among course faculty, nursing students, and the information literacy specialist. ..
- Gibson J, Jack K, Rennie J. Computer literacy, skills and knowledge among dentists and dental care professionals (DCPs) within primary care in Scotland. Inform Prim Care. 2006;14:17-28 pubmed..The majority of IT competence was self-acquired. 'Upskilling' the dental team in IT may be required in order to take advantage of e-learning opportunities available now and in the future. ..
- Or C, Karsh B. A systematic review of patient acceptance of consumer health information technology. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2009;16:550-60 pubmed publisher..Future research guided by technology acceptance theories should fill those gaps to improve our understanding of patient CHIT acceptance, which in turn could lead to better CHIT design and implementation. ..