Genomes and Genes
Summary: Persistent, unwanted idea or impulse which is considered normal when it does not markedly interfere with mental processes or emotional adjustment.
- Russell A, Mataix Cols D, Anson M, Murphy D. Obsessions and compulsions in Asperger syndrome and high-functioning autism. Br J Psychiatry. 2005;186:525-8 pubmed..Obsessions and compulsions are both common in adults with high-functioning ASD and are associated with significant levels of distress. ..
- Sanders J, Whitty P, Murray D, Devitt P. Delusions or obsessions: the same only different? A case report. Psychopathology. 2006;39:45-8 pubmed
- Summerfeldt L, Richter M, Antony M, Swinson R. Symptom structure in obsessive-compulsive disorder: a confirmatory factor-analytic study. Behav Res Ther. 1999;37:297-311 pubmed..They also point to the inadequacy of groupings based solely upon overt behavioural similarities (e.g., 'checking'). Recommendations are made for future research. ..
- Kluger J. When gambling becomes obsessive. Time. 2005;166:52-4 pubmed
- Blom R, Hagestein de Bruijn C, de Graaf R, Ten Have M, Denys D. Obsessions in normality and psychopathology. Depress Anxiety. 2011;28:870-5 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, they occur frequently in the presence of various psychiatric disorders. Obsessions should be perceived, similar to delusions, as a distinct dimension across psychiatric disorders rather than a mere symptom of OCD. ..
- O Toole S, Weinborn M, Fox A. Performance monitoring among non-patients with obsessive-compulsive symptoms: ERP evidence of aberrant feedback monitoring. Biol Psychol. 2012;91:221-8 pubmed publisher..This pattern of results may be indicative of a cognitive bias in outcome prediction associated with obsessive-compulsive symptomatology. ..
- Shimizu M, Furui H. [Relationship between self-oriented perfectionism and depressive mood in the industrial society]. Sangyo Eiseigaku Zasshi. 2004;46:173-80 pubmed..We considered that the background for depressive mood differs in different age groups. ..
- Stryjer R, Dambinsky Y, Timinsky I, Green T, Kotler M, Weizman A, et al. Escitalopram in the treatment of patients with schizophrenia and obsessive-compulsive disorder: an open-label, prospective study. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2013;28:96-8 pubmed publisher..Our preliminary results are encouraging and a double-blind randomized study is required to confirm our results. ..
- Dye M, Davis K. Stalking and psychological abuse: common factors and relationship-specific characteristics. Violence Vict. 2003;18:163-80 pubmed..Degree of anger-jealousy was influenced by being the recipient of a breakup and the level of passion. ..
- Sonneville K, Rifas Shiman S, Haines J, Gortmaker S, Mitchell K, Gillman M, et al. Associations of parental control of feeding with eating in the absence of hunger and food sneaking, hiding, and hoarding. Child Obes. 2013;9:346-9 pubmed publisher..87, 2.36). Disturbances in eating behaviors are common among overweight children. Future research should be dedicated to identifying strategies that normalize eating behaviors and prevent excess weight gain among overweight children. ..
- Lyndon A, Bonds Raacke J, Cratty A. College students' Facebook stalking of ex-partners. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw. 2011;14:711-6 pubmed publisher..Implications for social networking site usage and stalking laws are discussed. There is a kernel of truth to the popular term "Facebook stalking." ..
- Kumbhani S, Roth R, Kruck C, Flashman L, McAllister T. Nonclinical obsessive-compulsive symptoms and executive functions in schizophrenia. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2010;22:304-12 pubmed publisher..Performance-based scores showed few correlations with OCS. Findings indicate that severity of nonclinical OCS subtypes contributes to the heterogeneity of executive functions in schizophrenia. ..
- Gonda X, Jekkel E, Varga A, Miklósi M, Forintos D. [Advantage of obsessive-compulsive symptoms from the aspect of individual selection and group selection: an evolutionary psychological approach to obsessive-compulsive disorder]. Neuropsychopharmacol Hung. 2008;10:225-32 pubmed..The evolutionary approach to OCD is important in understanding the background factors, development and symptoms of OCD, which mean new tools in the prevention and treatment of this disorder. ..
- Lansky M. Unbearable shame, splitting, and forgiveness in the resolution of vengefulness. J Am Psychoanal Assoc. 2007;55:571-93 pubmed..Forgiveness is seen as the working through of that splitting and as an important feature in the working through of vengefulness. ..
- Oner O. Pontine mass presenting as anxiety, obsessions, and severe eating problems: a case report. J Child Neurol. 2007;22:471-3 pubmed..The possible explanations for the relationship between the pontine mass and the psychiatric symptoms are discussed. ..
- Marilov V, Danilin I, Minakova L. [Borderline mental disorders in patients with prostate cancer]. Zh Nevrol Psikhiatr Im S S Korsakova. 2003;103:40-2 pubmed..3%) and astheno-depressive (24.6%) syndromes were observed. Astheno-hypochondriacal and dysphoric syndromes were detected less frequently (in 15.4% and 7.7% of the cases, respectively). ..
- Redish A, Johnson A. A computational model of craving and obsession. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007;1104:324-39 pubmed..This theory can explain why opioid antagonists reduce both hedonic responses and craving. ..
- Parnas J, Møller P, Kircher T, Thalbitzer J, Jansson L, Handest P, et al. EASE: Examination of Anomalous Self-Experience. Psychopathology. 2005;38:236-58 pubmed
- Ruck C, Bergstrom J. Is the Y-BOCS discriminatory against gays and lesbians?. Am J Psychiatry. 2006;163:1449 pubmed
- Veale D. Over-valued ideas: a conceptual analysis. Behav Res Ther. 2002;40:383-400 pubmed..This analysis leads to a discussion of predictions that can be tested and various strategies that can be used in cognitive behaviour therapy...
- Besharat M, Kamali Z. Predicting obsessions and compulsions according to superego and ego characteristics: A comparison between scrupulosity and non-religious obsessive-compulsive symptoms. Asian J Psychiatr. 2016;19:73-8 pubmed publisher..Regression analysis indicated that among these variables, anger was the best predictor of non-religious obsessive-compulsive symptoms, while perfectionism and ego control were the best predictors of scrupulosity. ..
- Figee M, Wielaard I, Mazaheri A, Denys D. Neurosurgical targets for compulsivity: what can we learn from acquired brain lesions?. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2013;37:328-39 pubmed publisher..These case reports provide strong evidence supporting the rationale for DBS in the ventral striatum and internal capsule for treatment of compulsivity and reveal the putamen and fronto-parietal cortex as promising new targets. ..
- Berglas S. Chronic time abuse. Harv Bus Rev. 2004;82:90-7, 137 pubmed..In fact, some time abusers, like the perfectionist, may need professional treatment. This article will give you insight into why they are the way they are--and what can be done to help them manage their problems. ..
- McKay D, Piacentini J, Greisberg S, Graae F, Jaffer M, Miller J. The structure of childhood obsessions and compulsions: dimensions in an outpatient sample. Behav Res Ther. 2006;44:137-46 pubmed..The dimensions examined may be useful in future treatment studies using pharmacological and/or behavioral interventions. ..
- Hormes J, Coffey S, Drobes D, Saladin M. The Obsessive Compulsive Cocaine Use Scale: development and initial validation of a self-rated instrument for the quantification of thoughts about cocaine use. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2012;120:250-4 pubmed publisher..The proposed measure is a promising step towards the successful capture of the long-term cognitive features of craving for cocaine via self-report, and should represent a useful tool for clinical and research use. ..
- Jardin B, LaRowe S, Hall B, Malcolm R. The Obsessive Compulsive Cocaine Scale: assessment of factor structure, reliability, and validity. Addict Behav. 2011;36:1223-7 pubmed publisher..Overall, the data provide support for the psychometric strength of a modified version of the OCDS specifically designed to assess obsessive and compulsive cocaine use among those with cocaine dependence. ..
- Mongini F, Fassino S, Rota E, Deregibus A, Levi M, Monticone D, et al. The temperament and character inventory in women with migraine. J Headache Pain. 2005;6:247-9 pubmed..Our results show that in migraine the higher HA score could be partly associated to comorbid depression while the high P dimension seems to be solely related to the presence of migraine. ..
- Schmidt P, Helten C, Soyka M. Predictive value of obsessive-compulsive drinking scale (OCDS) for outcome in alcohol-dependent inpatients: results of a 24-month follow-up study. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy. 2011;6:14 pubmed publisher..Hence, decisions over the use of resources can be made on the basis of objectified parameters to develop a personalized treatment concept. Consequently, economic considerations can induce a reduction of high medical costs. ..
- Dressing H, Gass P, Kuhner C, Habermeyer E. [Psychiatric significance of stalking]. Gesundheitswesen. 2005;67:869-71 pubmed..Stalking is a widespread phenomenon and can result in significant health care problems. In the future physicians will have to deal with this problem in a professional manner. ..
- Abdel Khalek A, Al Arja N, Abdalla T. Death obsession in Palestinians. Death Stud. 2006;30:203-15 pubmed..The low DOS scores of Palestinians, in proportion to other Arab samples, may reflect their adaptation to strife and violence. ..
- Hillemacher T, Frieling H, Hartl T, Wilhelm J, Kornhuber J, Bleich S. Promoter specific methylation of the dopamine transporter gene is altered in alcohol dependence and associated with craving. J Psychiatr Res. 2009;43:388-92 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, hypermethylation of the DAT-promoter may play an important role in dopaminergic neurotransmission and is associated with decreased alcohol craving. ..
- Tomás Sábado J, Limonero J. Death depression and death obsession: are they different constructs?. Psychol Rep. 2007;100:755-8 pubmed..The distribution of the factor loadings for the items of both scales supported discriminant validity and capacity to evaluate aspects of human reactions to death. ..
- Wang C, Khoo A, Liu W, Divaharan S. Passion and intrinsic motivation in digital gaming. Cyberpsychol Behav. 2008;11:39-45 pubmed publisher..Cluster analysis, as this study shows, is useful in identifying groups of gamers with different passion profiles. It has helped us gain a deeper understanding of motivation in digital gaming. ..
- Rosenfeld B. Recidivism in stalking and obsessional harassment. Law Hum Behav. 2003;27:251-65 pubmed..Surprisingly, the presence of a delusional disorder (e.g., erotomania) was associated with a lower risk of reoffender. The findings are discussed in terms of the legal system and treatment implications. ..
- Morillo C, Belloch A, García Soriano G. Clinical obsessions in obsessive-compulsive patients and obsession-relevant intrusive thoughts in non-clinical, depressed and anxious subjects: where are the differences?. Behav Res Ther. 2007;45:1319-33 pubmed..The OCD patients showed an increased use of thought control strategies, with overt neutralizing, thought suppression, and searching for reassurance being highly specific to this group. ..
- Halberstadt C. [Obsessions and early dementia. 1928]. Encephale. 2005;31 Pt 3:7-11 pubmed
- Englebrecht C, Reyns B. Gender differences in acknowledgment of stalking victimization: results from the NCVS stalking supplement. Violence Vict. 2011;26:560-79 pubmed..e., being spied on) that were shown to increase acknowledgment for victims of stalking. Results also described gender based correlates of victimization acknowledgment. ..
- Bradbury C, Cassin S, Rector N. Obsessive beliefs and neurocognitive flexibility in obsessive-compulsive disorder. Psychiatry Res. 2011;187:160-5 pubmed publisher..The Low Beliefs OCD subgroup performed similar to the anxiety disorder control groups. The results suggest a potential interplay between heightened obsessive beliefs and neurocognitive inflexibility. ..
- Holt D, Phillips K, Shapiro E, Becker A. "My Face Is My Fate": biological and psychosocial approaches to the treatment of a woman with obsessions and delusions. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2003;11:142-54 pubmed
- Forrest D. Afterword to "neuronal metaphors": the obsessive self membrane. J Am Acad Psychoanal Dyn Psychiatry. 2004;32:661-7 pubmed
- Nolfe G, Milano W, Zontini G, Petrella C, De Rosa M, Rundle Smith S, et al. Obsessive-compulsive symptoms in schizophrenia: their relationship with clinical features and pharmacological treatment. J Psychiatr Pract. 2010;16:235-42 pubmed publisher..The presence of OCS seems to have the potential to affect clinical outcomes in schizophrenia and treatment with conventional antipsychotics appears to be correlated with the presence of OCS. ..
- Dressing H, Foerster K, Gass P. Are stalkers disordered or criminal? Thoughts on the psychopathology of stalking. Psychopathology. 2011;44:277-82 pubmed publisher..In some cases, the differentiation between mentally sane and mentally disturbed stalkers is difficult. This paper focuses on the psychopathology of such 'borderline cases', using the example of a court decision in Germany. ..
- Abdel Khalek A, Maltby J. The comparison of predictors of death obsession within two cultures. Death Stud. 2008;32:366-77 pubmed publisher..K. sample, might provide a good theoretical and empirical context with which to better understand the causes and consequences of death obsession. ..
- Meeten F, Davey G. Mood as input and perseverative worrying following the induction of discrete negative moods. Behav Ther. 2012;43:393-406 pubmed publisher..These findings support a view of mood-as-input effects where overall valency is the important factor in determining perseveration. ..
- Thomas A, Burant A, Bui N, Graham D, Yuva Paylor L, Paylor R. Marble burying reflects a repetitive and perseverative behavior more than novelty-induced anxiety. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2009;204:361-73 pubmed publisher..Marble burying is related to digging behavior and may in fact be more appropriately considered as an indicative measure of repetitive digging. ..
- Hillemacher T, Bleich S, Frieling H, Schanze A, Wilhelm J, Sperling W, et al. Evidence of an association of leptin serum levels and craving in alcohol dependence. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2007;32:87-90 pubmed..160, t=5.793, p<0.001) with a power of 1.00. In contrast to previous results describing an association only in female patients, this power-based analysis shows that leptin is associated with alcohol craving in both genders. ..
- Cavanna A, Robertson M, Critchley H. Schizotypal personality traits in Gilles de la Tourette syndrome. Acta Neurol Scand. 2007;116:385-91 pubmed..In particular, our preliminary results are consistent with a shared neurochemical substrate for the mechanisms underpinning tic expression, obsessionality and specific schizotypal traits. ..
- Taylor S, Jang K. Biopsychosocial etiology of obsessions and compulsions: an integrated behavioral-genetic and cognitive-behavioral analysis. J Abnorm Psychol. 2011;120:174-86 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that further biopsychosocial investigations may be fruitful for unraveling the etiology of obsessions and compulsions. ..