Genomes and Genes
Summary: An act which constitutes the termination of a given instinctive behavior pattern or sequence.
- Travers J, Yoo J, Chandran R, Herman K, Travers S. Neurotransmitter phenotypes of intermediate zone reticular formation projections to the motor trigeminal and hypoglossal nuclei in the rat. J Comp Neurol. 2005;488:28-47 pubmed..The IRt also contained a high proportion of neurons that projected to both mV and MXII. These different classes of premotor neurons in the IRt and PCRt provide a substrate for the rhythmic activation of lingual and masticatory muscles. ..
- Bisaga A, Danysz W, Foltin R. Antagonism of glutamatergic NMDA and mGluR5 receptors decreases consumption of food in baboon model of binge-eating disorder. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2008;18:794-802 pubmed publisher..At the same time, dexfenfluramine and memantine, but not MTEP, produced a decrease in seeking and consumption of standard chow pellets. Both memantine and MTEP are promising agents for the treatment of obesity...
- Baldo B, Kelley A. Discrete neurochemical coding of distinguishable motivational processes: insights from nucleus accumbens control of feeding. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2007;191:439-59 pubmed..The heuristic framework outlined above may help explain why dopamine-compromising manipulations that strongly diminish instrumental goal-seeking behaviors leave consummatory activity relatively unaffected. ..
- Foltin R. Effects of sibutramine on the appetitive and consummatory aspects of feeding in non-human primates. Physiol Behav. 2006;87:280-6 pubmed..Sibutramine increased the latency to the first meal of the session in females, and decreased consummatory behavior without affecting other appetitive behavior in males and females...
- Taziaux M, Cornil C, Balthazart J. Aromatase inhibition blocks the expression of sexually-motivated cloacal gland movements in male quail. Behav Processes. 2004;67:461-9 pubmed..It is therefore, likely that both responses are controlled, like copulation, by aromatase-containing neurons of the preoptic area. ..
- Beserra E, Fernandes C, Sousa J, Freitas E, Santos K. [The effect of water quality in the life cycle and in the attraction for the egg oviposition of Aedes aegypti (L.) (Diptera: Culicidae)]. Neotrop Entomol. 2010;39:1016-23 pubmed..This has serious implications for developing strategies to manage populations of this important vector in urban areas as it was shown to lay eggs and successfully develop on several different sources of water. ..
- Ford M, Fretwell A, Mark G, Finn D. Influence of reinforcement schedule on ethanol consumption patterns in non-food restricted male C57BL/6J mice. Alcohol. 2007;41:21-9 pubmed..These results suggest that the separation of appetitive and consummatory phases of ethanol self-administration may prove useful in future evaluations of the pharmacological and genetic bases of ethanol reinforcement in mice. ..
- Gamble George J, Conger J, Hartley N, Gupta P, Sumislawski J, Patel S. Dissociable effects of CB1 receptor blockade on anxiety-like and consummatory behaviors in the novelty-induced hypophagia test in mice. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2013;228:401-9 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that rimonabant modulates distinct and dissociable neural processes regulating anxiety and consummatory behavior to sculpt complex and context-dependent behavioral repertories.
- Xie J, Kuenzel W, Sharp P, Jurkevich A. Appetitive and consummatory sexual and agonistic behaviour elicits FOS expression in aromatase and vasotocin neurones within the preoptic area and bed nucleus of the stria terminalis of male domestic chickens. J Neuroendocrinol. 2011;23:232-43 pubmed publisher
- Freedland C, Sharpe A, Samson H, Porrino L. Effects of SR141716A on ethanol and sucrose self-administration. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2001;25:277-82 pubmed..These data indicate that CB1 receptors are involved in mediating both appetitive and consummatory aspects of ingestive behaviors related to sucrose and ethanol. ..
- Sharpe A, Samson H. Effect of naloxone on appetitive and consummatory phases of ethanol self-administration. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2001;25:1006-11 pubmed..This model provides a new method for examining the effects of potential pharmacotherapeutics on alcohol self-administration behavior. ..
- Thornton Jones Z, Vickers S, Clifton P. The cannabinoid CB1 receptor antagonist SR141716A reduces appetitive and consummatory responses for food. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2005;179:452-60 pubmed..SR141716A and pre-feeding had no effect on responding in the Pavlovian autoshaping paradigm. SR141716A impacts on motivational processes in both the appetitive and consummatory phases of feeding behaviour. ..
- Barr A, Phillips A. Increased successive negative contrast in rats withdrawn from an escalating-dose schedule of D-amphetamine. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2002;71:293-9 pubmed..This effect is interpreted as a consequence of the increased emotionality of withdrawn animals, and may be related to disruption of normal search behaviors. ..
- Filip M, Alenina N, Bader M, Przegalinski E. Behavioral evidence for the significance of serotoninergic (5-HT) receptors in cocaine addiction. Addict Biol. 2010;15:227-49 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the consequences of chronic cocaine exposure on particular 5-HT receptor-assigned functions in pre-clinical studies are presented. ..
- Pecoraro N, Timberlake W, Tinsley M. Incentive downshifts evoke search repertoires in rats. J Exp Psychol Anim Behav Process. 1999;25:153-67 pubmed..Increased search occurred whether or not alternative reward locations were available. Together the evidence suggests that NCEs are related to evoked search modes supporting a repertoire of functional behaviors related to finding food. ..
- Schweizer M, Henniger M, Sillaber I. Chronic mild stress (CMS) in mice: of anhedonia, 'anomalous anxiolysis' and activity. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4326 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that a shift in the pattern of circadian activity has a particular high impact on the anhedonic profile. Changes in activity in response to novelty seem to drive the 'anomalous' behavioural alterations as well. ..
- Olmstead M, Inglis W, Bordeaux C, Clarke E, Wallum N, Everitt B, et al. Lesions of the pedunculopontine tegmental nucleus increase sucrose consumption but do not affect discrimination or contrast effects. Behav Neurosci. 1999;113:732-43 pubmed..Somewhat surprisingly, lesions increased sucrose intake when rats were food-restricted. These results suggest that PPTg lesions do not disrupt primary motivation or the ability to evaluate and respond to changes in reward strength. ..
- Fadda F, Cocco S, Rossetti Z, Melis G, Stancampiano R. A tryptophan-free diet markedly reduces frontocortical 5-HT release, but fails to modify ethanol preference in alcohol-preferring (sP) and non-preferring (sNP) rats. Behav Brain Res. 2000;108:127-32 pubmed..The TRP-supplemented diet also failed to alter the intake of alcohol in either group of rats. Therefore, these results do not support a specific role of 5-HT transmission in ethanol intake and preference in sP and sNP rats. ..
- Agmo A. On the concept of sexual arousal: a simpler alternative. Horm Behav. 2008;53:312-4; author reply 319-22 pubmed
- Liang J, Abata K, Bachelder E, Bartley B, Bozadjieva N, Caskey V, et al. Original research in the classroom: why do zebrafish spawn in the morning?. Zebrafish. 2011;8:191-202 pubmed publisher..Our successes and failures carrying out original research as part of an undergraduate course should contribute to the growing approaches for using zebrafish to bring the excitement of experimental science to the classroom. ..
- Haino T, Hironaka S, Ooka T, Tokita K, Kubota Y, Boughter J, et al. Orosensory deprivation alters taste-elicited c-Fos expression in the parabrachial nucleus of neonatal rats. Neurosci Res. 2010;67:228-35 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest a substantial alteration in orosensory-evoked neuronal response in this nucleus, due to sensory or motor deprivation during a critical developmental stage. ..
- Cornil C, Taziaux M, Baillien M, Ball G, Balthazart J. Rapid effects of aromatase inhibition on male reproductive behaviors in Japanese quail. Horm Behav. 2006;49:45-67 pubmed..Together, these data demonstrate that aromatase inhibition rapidly decreases both consummatory and appetitive aspects of male sexual behavior...
- Cornil C, Ball G. Effects of social experience on subsequent sexual performance in naïve male Japanese quail (Coturnix japonica). Horm Behav. 2010;57:515-22 pubmed publisher..This experience effect is independent of any hormonal effect (such as one resulting from changes in secretion following different social interactions) given that the subjects were castrates chronically treated with testosterone. ..
- Aldrich J, Patkar K, McLaughlin J. Zyklophin, a systemically active selective kappa opioid receptor peptide antagonist with short duration of action. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:18396-401 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, the peptide zyklophin is a KOR-selective antagonist that exhibits the desired shorter duration of action, and represents a significant advance in the development of KOR-selective antagonists. ..
- Elliott C, Susswein A. Comparative neuroethology of feeding control in molluscs. J Exp Biol. 2002;205:877-96 pubmed..iv) Systems such as gastropod feeding may provide a model for understanding the functional properties of more complex systems. ..
- Huang A, Shyu B, Hsiao S. Dose-dependent dissociable effects of haloperidol on locomotion, appetitive responses, and consummatory behavior in water-deprived rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2010;95:285-91 pubmed publisher..dose affected appetitive behavior (increased latency to contact the water tube) during session 2 and consummatory behavior during all five water sessions. The 0...
- Verplaetse T, Rasmussen D, Froehlich J, Czachowski C. Effects of prazosin, an ?1-adrenergic receptor antagonist, on the seeking and intake of alcohol and sucrose in alcohol-preferring (P) rats. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2012;36:881-6 pubmed publisher..Together with previous findings, these data suggest that prazosin may be an effective pharmacotherapy, with specific application in people that drink excessively or have a genetic predisposition to alcohol abuse. ..
- Weller A, Gispan I. A cholecystokinin receptor antagonist blocks milk-induced but not maternal-contact-induced decrease of ultrasonic vocalization in rat pups. Dev Psychobiol. 2000;37:35-43 pubmed..The results, however, are not incompatible with the possibility that CCK and opioids are part of multiple, redundant pathways that mediate the quieting of USV by the dam. ..
- Kearns D, Weiss S. Sign-tracking (autoshaping) in rats: a comparison of cocaine and food as unconditioned stimuli. Learn Behav. 2004;32:463-76 pubmed..It appears that cocaine is different from other positive reinforcers (e.g., food, water, warmth, or intracranial stimulation) in that it will not produce sign-tracking in rats. ..
- Nicola S, Yun I, Wakabayashi K, Fields H. Firing of nucleus accumbens neurons during the consummatory phase of a discriminative stimulus task depends on previous reward predictive cues. J Neurophysiol. 2004;91:1866-82 pubmedThe nucleus accumbens (NAc) plays an important role in both appetitive and consummatory behavior. To examine how NAc neurons encode information during reward consumption, we recorded the firing activity of rat NAc neurons during the ..
- Pietropaolo S, Feldon J, Yee B. Nonphysical contact between cagemates alleviates the social isolation syndrome in C57BL/6 male mice. Behav Neurosci. 2008;122:505-15 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrated for the first time the relevance of nonphysical contact including its ability to undermine the emergence of the isolation syndrome in mice. ..
- Barbano M, Cador M. Opioids for hedonic experience and dopamine to get ready for it. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2007;191:497-506 pubmed..As a consequence, opioids are involved in those aspects of motivation driven by food palatability rather than by food homeostatic need. ..
- Weatherly J, Lang K, King B, Beste R, Grove C. Induction when rats lick for 1% liquid-sucrose reinforcement. Q J Exp Psychol (Hove). 2006;59:654-66 pubmed..The results also indicate that associative processes underlie the appearance of induction in responding for 1% sucrose. ..
- Genn R, Ahn S, Phillips A. Attenuated dopamine efflux in the rat nucleus accumbens during successive negative contrast. Behav Neurosci. 2004;118:869-73 pubmed..These data are consistent with the hypothesis that DA efflux in the NAc reflects the current incentive valence of sucrose reward and its influence on initiation of individual bouts of sucrose consumption. ..
- Hamson D, Watson N. Regional brainstem expression of Fos associated with sexual behavior in male rats. Brain Res. 2004;1006:233-40 pubmed..Overall, the data suggest that processing by brainstem nuclei directly contributes to the regulation of mating behavior in male rats. ..
- Ferguson G, Ter Maat A, Parsons D, Pinsker H. Egg laying in Aplysia. I. Behavioral patterns and muscle activity of freely behaving animals after selectively elicited bag cell discharges. J Comp Physiol A. 1989;164:835-47 pubmed..These EJP patterns were characteristic for specific head and neck movements used in appetitive and consummatory egg laying behaviors. ..
- Been L, Petrulis A. The role of the medial preoptic area in appetitive and consummatory reproductive behaviors depends on sexual experience and odor volatility in male Syrian hamsters. Neuroscience. 2010;170:1120-32 pubmed publisher..Together, these results demonstrate that the role of MPOA in appetitive and consummatory aspects of reproductive behavior varies with the volatility of the sexual odors and the sexual experience of the male. ..
- Naneix F, Marchand A, Di Scala G, Pape J, Coutureau E. A role for medial prefrontal dopaminergic innervation in instrumental conditioning. J Neurosci. 2009;29:6599-606 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that dissociable neurobiological mechanisms support action-outcome relationships and goal representation, dopamine signaling in the prelimbic cortex being necessary for the former but not the latter. ..
- Bassareo V, Di Chiara G. Differential responsiveness of dopamine transmission to food-stimuli in nucleus accumbens shell/core compartments. Neuroscience. 1999;89:637-41 pubmed..These clear-cut differences between nucleus accumbens shell and core suggest that phasic dopamine transmission in each compartment of the nucleus accumbens subserves different roles in motivated behaviour. ..
- Venugopal S, Boulant J, Chen Z, Travers J. Intrinsic membrane properties of pre-oromotor neurons in the intermediate zone of the medullary reticular formation. Neuroscience. 2010;168:31-47 pubmed publisherNeurons in the lower brainstem that control consummatory behavior are widely distributed in the reticular formation (RF) of the pons and medulla...
- Miller N, Katzoff A, Susswein A. Nitric oxide induces aspects of egg-laying behavior in Aplysia. J Exp Biol. 2008;211:2388-96 pubmed publisher..NO also acts at a second site, independent of the effect on the accessory genital mass. A NO donor activates appetitive behaviors that normally precede egg laying even in A. californica that are unable to lay eggs. ..
- Di Chiara G. Dopamine in disturbances of food and drug motivated behavior: a case of homology?. Physiol Behav. 2005;86:9-10 pubmed..It is speculated that disturbances of feeding behavior are related to loss of adaptive regulation of food-stimulated release of dopamine in the shell of the accumbens. ..
- Shen X, Sun Y, Wang N. Recommendations from friends anytime and anywhere: toward a model of contextual offer and consumption values. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw. 2013;16:349-56 pubmed publisher..This study is also believed to provide some useful insights to both research and practice. ..
- Ball G, Balthazart J. How useful is the appetitive and consummatory distinction for our understanding of the neuroendocrine control of sexual behavior?. Horm Behav. 2008;53:307-11; author reply 315-8 pubmed
- Galarce E, Crombag H, Holland P. Reinforcer-specificity of appetitive and consummatory behavior of rats after Pavlovian conditioning with food reinforcers. Physiol Behav. 2007;91:95-105 pubmed..The closer an action comes to ingestion, the more it is controlled by sensory properties conveyed by learned cues. These data are discussed in the context of allostatic regulation of food foraging and intake. ..
- O HARE E, Tierney K, Shephard R. Cyclic-ratio schedule analysis of a serotonin agonist and depletor on consummatory behaviour. Physiol Behav. 1991;49:331-4 pubmed..This finding was interpreted as an increase in the perceived palatability of the reinforcer, coupled with a decrease in motivation at higher schedule conditions, possibly due to peripheral effects of pCPA. ..