Genomes and Genes
Summary: Infections with bacteria of the genus LISTERIA.
- . Incidence and trends of infection with pathogens transmitted commonly through food - foodborne diseases active surveillance network, 10 U.S. sites, 1996-2012. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013;62:283-7 pubmed..These findings highlight the need for targeted action to address food safety gaps. ..
- Wilkins P, Marsh P, Acland H, del Piero F. Listeria monocytogenes septicemia in a Thoroughbred foal. J Vet Diagn Invest. 2000;12:173-6 pubmed..Immunohistochemical examination of formalin-fixed tissues revealed abundant intra- and extracellular L. monocytogenes antigen within the lung and intravascularly in multiple organs. ..
- Eshleman E, Delgado C, Kearney S, Friedman R, Lenz L. Down regulation of macrophage IFNGR1 exacerbates systemic L. monocytogenes infection. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006388 pubmed publisher..These results argue that down regulation of myeloid cell IFNGR1 is an important mechanism by which type I IFNs suppress inflammatory and anti-bacterial functions of macrophages. ..
- Klein Hessling S, Muhammad K, Klein M, Pusch T, Rudolf R, Flöter J, et al. NFATc1 controls the cytotoxicity of CD8+ T cells. Nat Commun. 2017;8:511 pubmed publisher..Here the authors show NFATc1 controls the cytotoxicity and metabolic switching of activated CD8+ T cells required for optimal response to bacteria and tumor cells. ..
- Hasebe R, Nakao R, Ohnuma A, Yamasaki T, Sawa H, Takai S, et al. Listeria monocytogenes serotype 4b strains replicate in monocytes/macrophages more than the other serotypes. J Vet Med Sci. 2017;79:962-969 pubmed publisher..monocytogenes through the host body. ..
- Becattini S, Littmann E, Carter R, Kim S, Morjaria S, Ling L, et al. Commensal microbes provide first line defense against Listeria monocytogenes infection. J Exp Med. 2017;214:1973-1989 pubmed publisher..Thus, we demonstrate a defensive role of the gut microbiota against Listeria monocytogenes infection and identify intestinal commensal species that, by enhancing resistance against this pathogen, represent potential probiotics. ..
- Ochsenbein A, Fehr T, Lutz C, Suter M, Brombacher F, Hengartner H, et al. Control of early viral and bacterial distribution and disease by natural antibodies. Science. 1999;286:2156-9 pubmed..Thus, natural antibodies play a crucial role by preventing pathogen dissemination to vital organs and by improving immunogenicity through enhanced antigen-trapping in secondary lymphoid organs. ..
- Lang K, Hall A, Merrikh C, Ragheb M, Tabakh H, Pollock A, et al. Replication-Transcription Conflicts Generate R-Loops that Orchestrate Bacterial Stress Survival and Pathogenesis. Cell. 2017;170:787-799.e18 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the detrimental effects of head-on collisions stem primarily from excessive R-loop formation and that the resolution of these structures is critical for bacterial stress survival and pathogenesis. ..
- Li S, Liu L, Guo X, Zhang Y, Xiang Y, Wang Q, et al. Host Pore-Forming Protein Complex Neutralizes the Acidification of Endocytic Organelles to Counteract Intracellular Pathogens. J Infect Dis. 2017;215:1753-1763 pubmed publisher..Finally, ??-CAT attenuated the dissemination of L. monocytogenes in vivo. These findings reveal a novel host strategy and effectors that combat pathogen adaptation to acidic conditions along the endocytic pathway. ..
- How J, Azar M, Meyer J. Are Nectarines to Blame? A Case Report and Literature Review of Spontaneous Bacterial Peritonitis Due to Listeria monocytogenes. Conn Med. 2015;79:31-6 pubmed
- Burall L, Grim C, Datta A. A clade of Listeria monocytogenes serotype 4b variant strains linked to recent listeriosis outbreaks associated with produce from a defined geographic region in the US. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176912 pubmed publisherFour listeriosis incidences/outbreaks, spanning 19 months, have been linked to Listeria monocytogenes serotype 4b variant (4bV) strains...
- Link M, Lücke K, Schmid J, Schumacher V, Eden T, Rose John S, et al. The role of ADAM17 in the T-cell response against bacterial pathogens. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184320 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our study indicates that ADAM17 is either not required in T cells under homoeostatic conditions and for control of listeria infection or can be effectively compensated by other mechanisms. ..
- Pearson L, Marth E. Listeria monocytogenes--threat to a safe food supply: a review. J Dairy Sci. 1990;73:912-28 pubmed..Consumption of foods containing L. monocytogenes can lead to listeriosis in susceptible humans (adults with a compromised immune system), pregnant women, and infants)...
- Mayer H, Kinzler M, Sickel E. [Listeriosis in a riding-horse stock]. Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr. 1976;89:209-11 pubmed
- Rizzuto G, Tagliani E, Manandhar P, Erlebacher A, Bakardjiev A. Limited Colonization Undermined by Inadequate Early Immune Responses Defines the Dynamics of Decidual Listeriosis. Infect Immun. 2017;85: pubmed publisher..monocytogenes to the gestational uterus but rather is due to compromised local innate cellular immune responses. ..
- Kuang L, Gong Y, Su M, Jiang Y. [Clinical analysis of 19 pregnancies complicated listeriosis]. Zhonghua Fu Chan Ke Za Zhi. 2017;52:657-661 pubmed publisherb>Objective: To analyze the clinical characteristics and perinatal outcomes of listeriosis during pregnancy. Methods: From July 2010 to April 2017, 70 131 women delivered in West China Second University Hospital...
- Welsh R. Equine abortion caused by Listeria monocytogenes serotype 4. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1983;182:291 pubmed
- Duch S, Quintana M, Pujol O. Listeria monocytogenes endophthalmitis. Acta Ophthalmol (Copenh). 1991;69:108-10 pubmed..Early identification of the microorganism after anterior chamber paracentesis and aggressive treatment with specific antibiotics through the intravitreal route resulted in complete recovery of visual acuity. ..
- Walker J, Morgan J. Ovine ophthalmitis associated with Listeria monocytogenes. Vet Rec. 1993;132:636 pubmed
- Uchiyama R, Yonehara S, Taniguchi S, Ishido S, Ishii K, Tsutsui H. Inflammasome and Fas-Mediated IL-1? Contributes to Th17/Th1 Cell Induction in Pathogenic Bacterial Infection In Vivo. J Immunol. 2017;199:1122-1130 pubmed publisher..This study provides a deeper understanding of the molecular mechanisms underlying Th17/Th1 induction during pathogenic microbial infections in vivo. ..
- Jackson B, Salter M, Tarr C, Conrad A, Harvey E, Steinbock L, et al. Notes from the field: listeriosis associated with stone fruit--United States, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015;64:282-3 pubmed..and local health departments, CDC, and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) received many inquiries about listeriosis from concerned consumers, many of whom had received automated telephone calls informing them that they had ..
- Najjar Z, Gupta L, Sintchenko V, Shadbolt C, Wang Q, Bansal N. Listeriosis cluster in Sydney linked to hospital food. Med J Aust. 2015;202:448-9 pubmed
- Wallace N, Newton E, ABRAMS E, Zani A, Sun Y. Metabolic determinants in Listeria monocytogenes anaerobic listeriolysin O production. Arch Microbiol. 2017;199:827-837 pubmed publisher..These results highlight the regulatory role of central carbon metabolism in L. monocytogenes pathogenesis under anaerobic conditions. ..
- Chen Y, Luo Y, Curry P, Timme R, Melka D, Doyle M, et al. Assessing the genome level diversity of Listeria monocytogenes from contaminated ice cream and environmental samples linked to a listeriosis outbreak in the United States. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0171389 pubmed publisherA listeriosis outbreak in the United States implicated contaminated ice cream produced by one company, which operated 3 facilities...
- Zaidman G, Coudron P, Piros J. Listeria monocytogenes keratitis. Am J Ophthalmol. 1990;109:334-9 pubmed..The human and animal data indicate that L. monocytogenes can be a virulent corneal pathogen. Listeria corneal infections must be treated aggressively with both penicillin and gentamicin to prevent permanent visual loss. ..
- Zhang D, Kishihara K, Wang B, Mizobe K, Kubo C, Nomoto K. Restraint stress-induced immunosuppression by inhibiting leukocyte migration and Th1 cytokine expression during the intraperitoneal infection of Listeria monocytogenes. J Neuroimmunol. 1998;92:139-51 pubmed..monocytogenes infection. ..
- Kovarik J, Kernbauer E, Hölzl M, Hofer J, Gualdoni G, Schmetterer K, et al. Fasting metabolism modulates the interleukin-12/interleukin-10 cytokine axis. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180900 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we showed that fasting metabolism modulates the IL-12/IL-10 cytokine balance, establishing novel targets for metabolism-based immune-modulation. ..
- Honn M, Lindgren H, Bharath G, Sjostedt A. Lack of OxyR and KatG Results in Extreme Susceptibility of Francisella tularensis LVS to Oxidative Stress and Marked Attenuation In vivo. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2017;7:14 pubmed publisher..The lack of both functions render F. tularensis severely crippled to handle oxidative stress and also much attenuated for intracellular growth and virulence. ..
- Liu D, Wang Y, Wang Y, Zhang L, Luo L, Liu K, et al. Development of a Novel Listeria Enrichment Broth for the Isolation of Pathogenic Listeria. J Food Prot. 2017;80:1768-1776 pubmed publisherb>Listeriosis, the disease caused by pathogenic Listeria species, can present severe symptoms in susceptible people...
- Welchman D, Hooton J, Low J. Ocular disease associated with silage feeding and Listeria monocytogenes in fallow deer. Vet Rec. 1997;140:684-5 pubmed
- Oxaran V, Lee S, Chaul L, Corassin C, Barancelli G, Alves V, et al. Listeria monocytogenes incidence changes and diversity in some Brazilian dairy industries and retail products. Food Microbiol. 2017;68:16-23 pubmed publisherListeria monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, a severe foodborne disease. In Brazil, despite very few reported cases of listeriosis, the pathogen has been repeatedly isolated from dairies...
- Sharma P, Khairnar V, Madunić I, Singh Y, Pandyra A, Salker M, et al. SGLT1 Deficiency Turns Listeria Infection into a Lethal Disease in Mice. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2017;42:1358-1365 pubmed publisher..While all wild type mice survived, all SGLT1 deficient mice died from the infection. SGLT1 is required for bacterial clearance and host survival following murine Listeria infection. ..
- Moreira A, Neves J, Silva T, Oliveira P, Gomes M, Rodrigues P. Hepcidin-(In)dependent Mechanisms of Iron Metabolism Regulation during Infection by Listeria and Salmonella. Infect Immun. 2017;85: pubmed publisher..In this work, we compare several aspects of iron metabolism alterations induced by two different pathogens and suggest that hepcidin-(in)dependent mechanisms contribute to iron redistribution upon infection. ..
- Rakic Martinez M, Wiedmann M, Ferguson M, Datta A. Assessment of Listeria monocytogenes virulence in the Galleria mellonella insect larvae model. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184557 pubmed publisher..monocytogenes from 14 major listeriosis outbreaks occurred worldwide between 1980 and 2015...
- Amato E, Filipello V, Gori M, Lomonaco S, Losio M, Parisi A, et al. Identification of a major Listeria monocytogenes outbreak clone linked to soft cheese in Northern Italy - 2009-2011. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:342 pubmed publisherMolecular subtyping and enhanced surveillance in Lombardy region identified a cluster of possibly related listeriosis cases from 2006 to 2010...
- Bou Ghanem E, Myers Morales T, Jones G, D Orazio S. Oral transmission of Listeria monocytogenes in mice via ingestion of contaminated food. J Vis Exp. 2013;:e50381 pubmed publisher..Very little is known about the gastrointestinal phase of listeriosis due to the lack of a small animal model that closely mimics human disease...
- Bécavin C, Bouchier C, Lechat P, Archambaud C, Creno S, Gouin E, et al. Comparison of widely used Listeria monocytogenes strains EGD, 10403S, and EGD-e highlights genomic variations underlying differences in pathogenicity. MBio. 2014;5:e00969-14 pubmed publisher..Our findings will be of critical relevance to listeriologists and immunologists who have used or may use Listeria as a tool to study the pathophysiology of listeriosis and immune responses.
- Pupo I, Lepe J, Smani Y, Aznar J. Comparison of the in vitro activity of ampicillin and moxifloxacin against Listeria monocytogenes at achievable concentrations in the central nervous system. J Med Microbiol. 2017;66:713-720 pubmed publisher..The results of this study demonstrated the faster bactericidal activity of moxifloxacin at achievable central nervous system concentrations against intra- and extracellular forms of L. monocytogenes in comparison with ampicillin. ..
- . Outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes infections associated with pasteurized milk from a local dairy--Massachusetts, 2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008;57:1097-100 pubmed..officer in central Massachusetts contacted the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH) to report listeriosis in a man aged 87 years...
- Costard S, Espejo L, Groenendaal H, Zagmutt F. Outbreak-Related Disease Burden Associated with Consumption of Unpasteurized Cow's Milk and Cheese, United States, 2009-2014. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017;23:957-964 pubmed publisher..As consumption of unpasteurized dairy products grows, illnesses will increase steadily; a doubling in the consumption of unpasteurized milk or cheese could increase outbreak-related illnesses by 96%. ..
- Taylor C, Lough F, Stanforth S, Schwalbe E, Fowlis I, Dean J. Analysis of Listeria using exogenous volatile organic compound metabolites and their detection by static headspace-multi-capillary column-gas chromatography-ion mobility spectrometry (SHS-MCC-GC-IMS). Anal Bioanal Chem. 2017;409:4247-4256 pubmed publisher..The results found that it was possible to differentiate between L. monocytogenes and L. ivanovii, based on their VOC response from Î±-mannosidase activity. ..
- Fan W, Zhou Y, Li H. Pathway Interaction Network Analysis Identifies Dysregulated Pathways in Human Monocytes Infected by Listeria monocytogenes. Comput Math Methods Med. 2017;2017:3195348 pubmed publisher..These dysregulated pathways work together to influence the progression of LM infection, and they will be available as biomarkers to diagnose LM infection. ..
- Lenz L, Butz E, Bevan M. Requirements for bone marrow-derived antigen-presenting cells in priming cytotoxic T cell responses to intracellular pathogens. J Exp Med. 2000;192:1135-42 pubmed..These findings indicate that in vivo priming of CTL responses to LCMV is remarkably insensitive to deficiencies in antigen presentation by professional BM-derived APCs. ..
- Wang J, Liu B, Teng Z, Zhou X, Wang X, Zhang B, et al. Phloretin Attenuates Listeria monocytogenes Virulence Both In vitro and In vivo by Simultaneously Targeting Listeriolysin O and Sortase A. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2017;7:9 pubmed publisher..monocytogenes due to its simultaneous targeting of SrtA and LLO, which may result in fewer side effects than those caused by other antibiotics. ..
- Chau M, Aung K, Hapuarachchi H, Lee P, Lim P, Kang J, et al. Microbial survey of ready-to-eat salad ingredients sold at retail reveals the occurrence and the persistence of Listeria monocytogenes Sequence Types 2 and 87 in pre-packed smoked salmon. BMC Microbiol. 2017;17:46 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlighted a need to improve manufacturing and retail hygiene processes as well as to educate vulnerable populations to avoid consuming food prone to L. monocytogenes contamination. ..