uropathogenic escherichia coli
Summary: Strains of Escherichia coli that preferentially grow and persist within the urinary tract. They exhibit certain virulence factors and infection pathways that cause URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS.
- Spaulding C, Klein R, Ruer S, Kau A, Schreiber H, Cusumano Z, et al. Selective depletion of uropathogenic E. coli from the gut by a FimH antagonist. Nature. 2017;546:528-532 pubmed publisherUrinary tract infections (UTIs) caused by uropathogenic Escherichia coli (UPEC) affect 150 million people annually. Despite effective antibiotic therapy, 30-50% of patients experience recurrent UTIs...
- Sahlberg Bang C, Demirel I, Kruse R, Persson K. Global gene expression profiling and antibiotic susceptibility after repeated exposure to the carbon monoxide-releasing molecule-2 (CORM-2) in multidrug-resistant ESBL-producing uropathogenic Escherichia coli. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178541 pubmed publisher..infections is today a challenge due to the increasing prevalence of multidrug-resistant ESBL-producing uropathogenic Escherichia coli (UPEC)...
- Madelung M, Kronborg T, Doktor T, Struve C, Krogfelt K, Møller Jensen J. DFI-seq identification of environment-specific gene expression in uropathogenic Escherichia coli. BMC Microbiol. 2017;17:99 pubmed publisherDuring infection of the urinary tract, uropathogenic Escherichia coli (UPEC) are exposed to different environments, such as human urine and the intracellular environments of bladder epithelial cells...
- Da Silva L, de Mello Santos A, Silva R. Uropathogenic Escherichia coli pathogenicity islands and other ExPEC virulence genes may contribute to the genome variability of enteroinvasive E. coli. BMC Microbiol. 2017;17:68 pubmed publisher..The presence of phylogroups B2 and E strains allied to the presence of UPEC virulence-associated genes may underscore the ongoing evolution of EIEC towards a hypervirulent pathotype. ..
- MITTAL S, Sharma M, Chaudhary U. Biofilm and multidrug resistance in uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Pathog Glob Health. 2015;109:26-9 pubmed publisher..These isolates were found to be resistant to antibiotics common in use and were 100% MDR. Biofilm production makes the organism to be more resistant to antibiotics and virulent as compared to non-biofilm producers. ..
- Heitmueller M, Billion A, Dobrindt U, Vilcinskas A, Mukherjee K. Epigenetic Mechanisms Regulate Innate Immunity against Uropathogenic and Commensal-Like Escherichia coli in the Surrogate Insect Model Galleria mellonella. Infect Immun. 2017;85: pubmed publisher..coli in G. mellonella larvae, which may be relevant to understanding the different behaviors of these bacterial strains in the human urinary tract. ..
- Ohlemacher S, Giblin D, d Avignon D, Stapleton A, Trautner B, Henderson J. Enterobacteria secrete an inhibitor of Pseudomonas virulence during clinical bacteriuria. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:4018-4030 pubmed publisher..Future UTI-preventive probiotic strains may benefit by retaining the escherichelin biosynthetic capacity of the Yersinia HPI while eliminating the Ybt biosynthetic capacity. ..
- Sarshar S, Brandt S, Asadi Karam M, Habibi M, Bouzari S, Lechtenberg M, et al. Aqueous extract from Orthosiphon stamineus leaves prevents bladder and kidney infection in mice. Phytomedicine. 2017;28:1-9 pubmed publisher..Evaluation of an aqueous extract against infection with uropathogenic Escherichia coli in vivo; investigation of underlying microbiological mechanisms...
- Ernstsen C, Login F, Jensen H, Nørregaard R, Møller Jensen J, Nejsum L. Detection and quantification of intracellular bacterial colonies by automated, high-throughput microscopy. J Microbiol Methods. 2017;139:37-44 pubmed publisher..As a model we quantified intracellular bacterial colonies formed by uropathogenic Escherichia coli (UPEC) during infection of human kidney cells (HKC-8)...
- Howell A, Souza D, Roller M, Fromentin E. Comparison of the Anti-Adhesion Activity of Three Different Cranberry Extracts on Uropathogenic P-fimbriated Escherichia coli: a Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo Controlled, Ex Vivo, Acute Study. Nat Prod Commun. 2015;10:1215-8 pubmed..All three cranberry extracts significantly increased anti-adhesion activity in urine. from 6 to 12 hours after intake of a single dose standardized to deliver 36 mg of PACs (as measured by the BL-DMAC method), versus placebo. ..
- Peron G, Pellizzaro A, Brun P, Schievano E, Mammi S, Sut S, et al. Antiadhesive Activity and Metabolomics Analysis of Rat Urine after Cranberry (Vaccinium macrocarpon Aiton) Administration. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65:5657-5667 pubmed publisher..at 2, 4, 8, and 24 h after cranberry intake and their antiadhesive properties were tested against uropathogenic Escherichia coli. The 8 h samples showed the highest activity...