Genomes and Genes
gram positive bacteria
Summary: Bacteria which retain the crystal violet stain when treated by Gram's method.
Publications172 found, 100 shown here
- Baymann F, Nitschke W. Heliobacterial Rieske/cytb complex. Photosynth Res. 2010;104:177-87 pubmed publisher..Functional studies are favored by the absence of antennae and the simple photosynthetic reaction chain but are hampered by the high oxygen sensitivity of the organism, its chlorophyll, and lipids. ..
- Lenhart J, Pillon M, GuarnÃ© A, Biteen J, Simmons L. Mismatch repair in Gram-positive bacteria. Res Microbiol. 2016;167:4-12 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss current advances in understanding how MMR functions in bacteria lacking the MutH and Dam methylase-dependent MMR pathway. ..
- Jiang S, Qin Y, Yang J, Li M, Xiong L, Sun Q. Enhanced antibacterial activity of lysozyme immobilized on chitin nanowhiskers. Food Chem. 2017;221:1507-1513 pubmed publisher..This research provides a facile and promising approach for increasing the application of chitin-derived and enhancing the antibacterial efficiency on preservation. ..
- Tan T, Wu D, Li W, Zheng X, Li W, Shan A. High Specific Selectivity and Membrane-Active Mechanism of Synthetic Cationic Hybrid Antimicrobial Peptides Based on the Peptide FV7. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Synthetic cationic hybrid peptides based on FV7 could provide new models for combining different functional domains and demonstrate effective avenues to screen for novel antimicrobial agents. ..
- Hou S, Dong X, Zhu J, Zheng J, Bi W, Li S, et al. Preparation and characterization of an antibacterial ultrafiltration membrane with N-chloramine functional groups. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2017;496:391-400 pubmed publisher..coli solution and incubation on LB nutrient agar plate, indicating that the PEK-N-Cl membrane enhibits antifouling. Furthermore, the PEK-N-Cl membrane is recyclable via subsequent exposure to a sodium hypochlorite solution. ..
- Hamdani A, Wani I, Bhat N, Siddiqi R. Effect of guar gum conjugation on functional, antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of egg white lysozyme. Food Chem. 2018;240:1201-1209 pubmed publisher..Its antibacterial activity is limited to gram positive bacteria. Conjugation with polysaccharides like guar gum may broaden its activity against gram negatives...
- TeKippe M, Aballay A. C. elegans germline-deficient mutants respond to pathogen infection using shared and distinct mechanisms. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11777 pubmed publisher..Our studies indicate that germline-deficient mutants glp-1 and glp-4 respond to pathogen infection using common and different mechanisms that involve the activation of DAF-16. ..
- Adoga A, Ma an E, Malu D, Badung B, Obiesie I, Nwaorgu O. Swab and aspiration specimen collection methods and antibiogram in chronic suppurative otitis media at Jos University Teaching Hospital: Which is superior?. Ann Afr Med. 2010;9:230-4 pubmed publisher..The organisms isolated are the same as those obtained in other places. Contaminants found were few and occurred in equal amount in the same patients in the two methods. ..
- Banerjee S, Khamrai M, Sarkar K, Singha N, Kundu P. Modified chitosan encapsulated core-shell Ag Nps for superior antimicrobial and anticancer activity. Int J Biol Macromol. 2016;85:157-67 pubmed publisher..The prepared Ag Nps exhibited strong antimicrobial activity against different gram positive bacteria (Alkaliphilus, Bascillus substillis, Lysinibascillus) and gram negative bacteria (Enterobacter aerogenus, ..
- Li D, Hu X, Han T, Xu S, Zhou T, Wang Z, et al. Synthesis, Biological Activity, and Apoptotic Properties of NO-Donor/Enmein-Type ent-Kauranoid Hybrids. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17: pubmed publisher..These findings might be important to explore new chemical entities for the main causes of in-hospital mortality of S. aureus infection, combined with a solid tumor. ..
- Qayyum S, Khan A. Biofabrication of broad range antibacterial and antibiofilm silver nanoparticles. IET Nanobiotechnol. 2016;10:349-357 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the effect was more prominent on Gram negative bacteria then Gram positive bacteria and fungus. AgNPs inhibited various classes of microbes with different concentration...
- Yoon H, Kim G, Ju Y, Cheon I, Hong S, Kim D, et al. Distinct pattern of immune tolerance in dendritic cells treated with lipopolysaccharide or lipoteichoic acid. Mol Immunol. 2017;91:57-64 pubmed publisher..Collectively, a distinct immune regulation appeared to be responsible for the LPS- and LTA-induced tolerance on cytokine production, expression of surface markers and intracellular proteins. ..
- Zheng X, Wang X, Teng D, Mao R, Hao Y, Yang N, et al. Mode of action of plectasin-derived peptides against gas gangrene-associated Clostridium perfringens type A. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185215 pubmed publisher..These data indicated that both NZ2114 and MP1102 have potential as new antimicrobial agents for gas gangrene infection resulting from resistant C. perfringens...
- Mavrova A, Yancheva D, Anastassova N, Anichina K, Zvezdanovic J, Djordjevic A, et al. Synthesis, electronic properties, antioxidant and antibacterial activity of some new benzimidazoles. Bioorg Med Chem. 2015;23:6317-26 pubmed publisher..subtilis, S. aureus, S. abony and E. coli (with MIC values of 0.125, 0.016, 0.50 and 0.50mg/mL, respectively). The group of thiazolobenzimidazolones did not reveal antibacterial activity against the tested strains. ..
- Krátký M, Stepánková S, Vorčáková K, Navrátilová L, Trejtnar F, Stolarikova J, et al. Synthesis of readily available fluorophenylalanine derivatives and investigation of their biological activity. Bioorg Chem. 2017;71:244-256 pubmed publisher..The highest susceptibility was recorded for Trichophyton mentagrophytes fungus. ..
- Nyangacha R, Odongo D, Oyieke F, Ochwoto M, Korir R, Ngetich R, et al. Secondary bacterial infections and antibiotic resistance among tungiasis patients in Western, Kenya. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005901 pubmed publisher..From these, 10 different strains of bacteria were isolated. Two were Gram positive bacteria and they were, Staphylococcus epidermidis (38.3%) and Staphylococcus aureus (21.3%)...
- Arutchelvi J, Doble M. Characterization of glycolipid biosurfactant from Pseudomonas aeruginosa CPCL isolated from petroleum-contaminated soil. Lett Appl Microbiol. 2010;51:75-82 pubmed publisher..This study provides a biosurfactant, which can be used as a biocontrol agent against phytopathogens (Fusarium proliferatum NCIM 1105 and Aspergillus niger NCIM 596) and exploited for biomedical applications. ..
- Sutcliffe I. A phylum level perspective on bacterial cell envelope architecture. Trends Microbiol. 2010;18:464-70 pubmed publisher..This analysis and a critical review of the literature also suggest that members of the phylum Chloroflexi are typically monoderm. ..
- Garrett T. Major roles for minor bacterial lipids identified by mass spectrometry. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids. 2017;1862:1319-1324 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled: Bacterial Lipids edited by Russell E. Bishop. ..
- Hu Z, Zhang S, Zhou W, Ma X, Xiang G. Synthesis and antibacterial activity of 3-benzylamide derivatives as FtsZ inhibitors. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2017;27:1854-1858 pubmed publisher..44. The results from this study indicate that based on the unique 3-methoxybenzamide pharmacophore, compound 9 may represent a promising lead candidate against Gram-positive bacteria that are worthy of further investigation. ..
- Angthong P, Roytrakul S, Jarayabhand P, Jiravanichpaisal P. Characterization and function of a tachylectin 5-like immune molecule in Penaeus monodon. Dev Comp Immunol. 2017;76:120-131 pubmed publisher..activity on human erythrocyte and bacterial agglutination activity to both Gram negative and Gram positive bacteria. Possible binding sites of PL5-2 to bacteria could be at the N-acetyl moiety of the GlcNAc-MurNAc cell ..
- Guo Y, Rogelj S, Zhang P. Rose Bengal-decorated silica nanoparticles as photosensitizers for inactivation of gram-positive bacteria. Nanotechnology. 2010;21:065102 pubmed publisher..Photosensitizers of such design should have good potential as antibacterial agents through a photodynamic mechanism. ..
- Clancy K, Melvin J, McCafferty D. Sortase transpeptidases: insights into mechanism, substrate specificity, and inhibition. Biopolymers. 2010;94:385-96 pubmed publisher..This review covers the current knowledge of the mechanism, substrate specificity, and inhibitory studies of the Gram-positive bacterial [corrected] enzyme sortase. ..
- Gang A, Arpi M, Gang U, Vangsted A. Early infections in patients undergoing high-dose treatment with stem cell support: a comparison of patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma and multiple myeloma. Hematology. 2010;15:222-9 pubmed publisher..A safe outpatient setting with prophylactic antibiotic treatment is dependent on continuous collection and registration of microbiological findings. ..
- Wisniewski J, Rood J. The Tcp conjugation system of Clostridium perfringens. Plasmid. 2017;91:28-36 pubmed publisher..This review summarises our current understanding of the Tcp conjugation system, which is now one of the best-characterized conjugation systems in Gram-positive bacteria. ..
- Myszka H, Sokołowska P, Cieślińska A, Nowacki A, Jaśkiewicz M, Kamysz W, et al. Diosgenyl 2-amino-2-deoxy-?-D-galactopyranoside: synthesis, derivatives and antimicrobial activity. Beilstein J Org Chem. 2017;13:2310-2315 pubmed publisher..Antifungal and antibacterial studies show that some of the obtained compounds are active against Gram-positive bacteria and Candida type fungi...
- Nisnevitch M, Nakonechny F, Nitzan Y. Photodynamic antimicrobial chemotherapy by liposome-encapsulated water-soluble photosensitizers. Bioorg Khim. 2010;36:396-402 pubmed..We suggest that encapsulation of PhS can increase the photoinactivation of bacteria...
- ARMSTRONG R, Adams K, Zilisch J, Bretl D, Sato H, Anderson D, et al. Rv2744c Is a PspA Ortholog That Regulates Lipid Droplet Homeostasis and Nonreplicating Persistence in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Bacteriol. 2016;198:1645-1661 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis This function of PspA in M. tuberculosis is novel and suggests that PspA may represent a unique bacterial target upon which to base therapeutic interventions against this organism. ..
- Dragoš A, Kovács Á, Claessen D. The Role of Functional Amyloids in Multicellular Growth and Development of Gram-Positive Bacteria. Biomolecules. 2017;7: pubmed publisher..Despite this variety of tasks, we know surprisingly little about how their assembly is organized to fulfill all these roles. ..
- Wang H, Ren D. Controlling Streptococcus mutans and Staphylococcus aureus biofilms with direct current and chlorhexidine. AMB Express. 2017;7:204 pubmed publisher..mutans and S. aureus, respectively. These results are useful for developing more effective approaches to control pathogenic biofilms. ..
- Pan C, Rajanbabu V, Chen J, Her G, Nan F. Evaluation of the epinecidin-1 peptide as an active ingredient in cleaning solutions against pathogens. Peptides. 2010;31:1449-58 pubmed publisher..Given its simple structure and antimicrobial activity, epinecidin-1 may be a useful component of microbicides designed to prevent pathogen infections and/or remediate abnormal vaginal or skin flora...
- Corrigan R, Bellows L, Wood A, GrÃ¼ndling A. ppGpp negatively impacts ribosome assembly affecting growth and antimicrobial tolerance in Gram-positive bacteria. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E1710-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study reveals ribosome inactivation as a previously unidentified mechanism through which the stringent response functions in Gram-positive bacteria. ..
- Descamps T, De Smet L, de Vos P, de Graaf D. Unbiased random mutagenesis contributes to a better understanding of the virulent behaviour of Paenibacillus larvae. J Appl Microbiol. 2018;124:28-41 pubmed publisher..The study identified new possible virulence factors for P. larvae genotype ERIC I in an unbiased way. This contributes to the knowledge and understanding of the possible mechanisms used by this pathogen to colonize and kill its host. ..
- Chi H, Holo H. Synergistic Antimicrobial Activity Between the Broad Spectrum Bacteriocin Garvicin KS and Nisin, Farnesol and Polymyxin B Against Gram-Positive and Gram-Negative Bacteria. Curr Microbiol. 2018;75:272-277 pubmed publisher..aureus strains tested. Its broad inhibitory spectrum, rapid killing, and synergy with other antimicrobials makes garvicin KS a promising antimicrobial. ..
- LÃ¼bbert C, Rodloff A, Hamed K. Real-World Treatment of Enterococcal Infections with Daptomycin: Insights from a Large European Registry (EU-CORE). Infect Dis Ther. 2015;4:259-71 pubmed publisher..8%), which are regarded as non-susceptible. For enterococcal infections, daptomycin appears to be an effective and well-tolerated treatment option, exhibiting highest clinical success rates at higher doses. ..
- Avitabile C, D Andrea L, Saviano M, Olivieri M, Cimmino A, Romanelli A. Binding studies of antimicrobial peptides to Escherichia coli cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016;478:149-153 pubmed publisher..Temporin B is a natural peptide active against Gram positive bacteria but inactive against Gram negative bacteria, TB_KKG6A is an analogue of temporin B showing activity ..
- Toda H, Koyanagi T, Enomoto T, Itoh N. Characterization of two cryptic plasmids from Kocuria palustris IPUFS-1 and construction of novel Escherichia coli-Kocuria shuttle vector for biocatalysis. J Biosci Bioeng. 2017;124:255-262 pubmed publisher..Herein, we demonstrate that the novel shuttle vector is a useful tool for developing biocatalysts based on organic solvent-tolerant Kocuria cells. ..
- Rai S, Pant N, Bhandari R, Giri A, Parajuli R, Aryal M, et al. AmpC and extended spectrum beta-lactamases production among urinary isolates from a tertiary care hospital in Lalitpur, Nepal. BMC Res Notes. 2017;10:467 pubmed publisher..E. coli (76.1%) was the most common bacteria isolated. Staphylococcus aureus (6.7%) was the predominant gram positive bacteria isolated. 35 (6.8%) of the 514 gram negative bacilli were ESBL producers. Similarly, 14 (2...
- Augustin R, Schröder K, Murillo Rincón A, Fraune S, Anton Erxleben F, Herbst E, et al. A secreted antibacterial neuropeptide shapes the microbiome of Hydra. Nat Commun. 2017;8:698 pubmed publisher..Here, the authors show that a secreted neuropeptide modulates the distribution of bacterial communities on the body surface during development of the model organism Hydra. ..
- Babiceanu C, Voroneanu M. [Microbial involvement in oral abscesses: update]. Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi. 2009;113:1249-52 pubmed..The fact that this "explosive army" is not in sight, this not mean that it doesn't exist, so we believe that the holding of general notions of microbiological culture is necessary for prevention and treatment measures. ..
- Huang Y, Choi H, Kushida Y, Bhayana B, Wang Y, Hamblin M. Broad-Spectrum Antimicrobial Effects of Photocatalysis Using Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles Are Strongly Potentiated by Addition of Potassium Iodide. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:5445-53 pubmed publisher..We conclude that UVA-excited TiO2 in the presence of iodide produces reactive iodine intermediates during illumination that kill microbial cells and long-lived oxidized iodine products that kill after light has ended. ..
- Wang D, Lin Z, Ding X, Hu J, Liu Y. The Comparison of the Combined Toxicity between Gram-negative and Gram-positive Bacteria: a Case Study of Antibiotics and Quorum-sensing Inhibitors. Mol Inform. 2016;35:54-61 pubmed publisher..This study also offers a valuable reference for the risk assessment of the antibiotics and QSIs in the real environment. ..
- Borysowski J, Gorski A. Fusion to cell-penetrating peptides will enable lytic enzymes to kill intracellular bacteria. Med Hypotheses. 2010;74:164-6 pubmed publisher..We also discuss potential medical applications of intracellularly active lytic enzymes. ..
- Kosmidis C, Levine D. Daptomycin: pharmacology and clinical use. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2010;11:615-25 pubmed publisher..Resistance is currently uncommon in clinical isolates. However, emergence of resistance during therapy is a concern. This may be prevented by use of higher doses. ..
- Liu F, Wang D, Du L, Zhu Y, Xu W. Diversity of the predominant spoilage bacteria in water-boiled salted duck during storage. J Food Sci. 2010;75:M317-21 pubmed publisher..The identification of the spoilage-related microbiota is helpful to better understand the bacteria ecology in water-boiled salted duck and may lead to the discovery of appropriate preservation strategies. ..
- Luginbühl M, Weinmann W, Al Ahmad A. Introduction of sample tubes with sodium azide as a preservative for ethyl glucuronide in urine. Int J Legal Med. 2017;131:1283-1289 pubmed publisher..As a conclusion, sodium azide is useful to reduce bacterial growth of gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria. It inhibits the degradation of EtG by E. coli and can be used for the stabilization of EtG in urine samples. ..
- Yoo S, Kim M, Cho J. Syk and Src-targeted anti-inflammatory activity of aripiprazole, an atypical antipsychotic. Biochem Pharmacol. 2018;148:1-12 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that ARP can suppress inflammatory responses triggered by Gram positive bacteria through suppression of both AP-1 and NF-κB pathways.
- Ma Y, Liu C, Liu X, Wu J, Yang H, Wang Y, et al. Peptidomics and genomics analysis of novel antimicrobial peptides from the frog, Rana nigrovittata. Genomics. 2010;95:66-71 pubmed publisher..Some AMPs reported here will provide leading molecules for designing novel antimicrobial agents. ..
- Yoon J, Park J, Kim K, Kim Y, Min J. Antimicrobial activity of the cell organelles, lysosomes isolated from egg white. J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2009;19:1364-8 pubmed..These highly effective lysosomes have a bright future in the application of novel antimicrobial sources as a cell organelle type. ..
- Woting A, Clavel T, Loh G, Blaut M. Bacterial transformation of dietary lignans in gnotobiotic rats. FEMS Microbiol Ecol. 2010;72:507-14 pubmed publisher..Their urine was devoid of lignans. Hence, the presence of enterolignans in the ALB rats, but not in the germ-free rats, demonstrates that this defined microbial community is capable of transforming plant lignans into EL in vivo. ..
- Joshi S, Bisht G, Rawat D, Kumar A, Kumar R, Maiti S, et al. Interaction studies of novel cell selective antimicrobial peptides with model membranes and E. coli ATCC 11775. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1798:1864-75 pubmed publisher..Establishment of a non specific membrane lytic mode of action of these peptides makes them suitable candidates for drug development. ..
- Kale A, McGlinchey R, Moore B. Characterization of 5-chloro-5-deoxy-D-ribose 1-dehydrogenase in chloroethylmalonyl coenzyme A biosynthesis: substrate and reaction profiling. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:33710-7 pubmed publisher..Oxidative activity was also measured with the alternative substrates D-erythrose and D-ribose, making SalM the first reported stereospecific non-phosphorylative ribose 1-dehydrogenase. ..
- Lindholm D, Murray C, Akers K, O Brien S, Alderete J, Vento T. Novel Pseudomonas fluorescens septic sacroiliitis in a healthy soldier. Mil Med. 2013;178:e963-6 pubmed publisher..Although optimal antimicrobial treatment duration for infectious sacroiliitis is not well established, this case shows the early efficacy of oral antibiotics. ..
- Han J, Gao P, Zhao S, Bie X, Lu Z, Zhang C, et al. iTRAQ-based proteomic analysis of LI-F type peptides produced by Paenibacillus polymyxa JSa-9 mode of action against Bacillus cereus. J Proteomics. 2017;150:130-140 pubmed publisher..These results are helpful in understanding the mechanism of LI-F type peptides and in providing the theoretical base for applying AMP-jsa9 or its analogs to combat Gram-positive pathogenic bacteria in the food and feed industries. ..
- Tadesse B, Ashley E, Ongarello S, Havumaki J, Wijegoonewardena M, GonzÃ¡lez I, et al. Antimicrobial resistance in Africa: a systematic review. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:616 pubmed publisher..A total of 144 articles were included in the final analysis. 13 Gram negative and 5 Gram positive bacteria were tested against 37 different antibiotics...
- Basta A, El Saied H, Hasanin M, El Deftar M. Green carboxymethyl cellulose-silver complex versus cellulose origins in biological activity applications. Int J Biol Macromol. 2018;107:1364-1372 pubmed publisher..These complexes have anti-biological especially towards gram positive bacteria (B.subtilis, NCID-3610), and uni- and multi cellular fungi...
- Varshney V, Mishra N, Shukla P, Sahu D. Novel 4-N-substituted aryl but-3-ene-1,2-dione derivatives of piperazinyloxazolidinones as antibacterial agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2009;19:6810-2 pubmed publisher..Most of the compounds of series showed superior in vitro activity against Gram-positive resistant strains than linezolid. Compound 3f is the most potent compound in the series with 0.04-0.39 microg/mL MIC. ..
- Mkaddem M, Bouajila J, Ennajar M, Lebrihi A, Mathieu F, Romdhane M. Chemical composition and antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of Mentha (longifolia L. and viridis) essential oils. J Food Sci. 2009;74:M358-63 pubmed publisher..Carvone, thymol, and piperitone oxide have not been detected in Tunisian M. longifolia. Camphor is reported for the 1st time for M. viridis. Antioxidant and antibacterial activities were correlated to chemical composition...
- de Boer R, Peters R, Gierveld S, Schuurman T, Kooistra Smid M, Savelkoul P. Improved detection of microbial DNA after bead-beating before DNA isolation. J Microbiol Methods. 2010;80:209-11 pubmed publisher..1mm beads in combination with MagNA Pure DNA III extraction enhances microbial lysis of diverse Gram-positive microorganisms and may be used to optimize DNA extraction protocols in routine clinical diagnostics. ..
- Santo C, Morais P, Grass G. Isolation and characterization of bacteria resistant to metallic copper surfaces. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2010;76:1341-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, staphylococci on coins did not exhibit increased levels of resistance to antibiotics, arguing against coselection with copper surface resistance traits. ..
- Cueva C, Moreno Arribas M, Martin Alvarez P, Bills G, Vicente M, Basilio A, et al. Antimicrobial activity of phenolic acids against commensal, probiotic and pathogenic bacteria. Res Microbiol. 2010;161:372-82 pubmed publisher..The antimicrobial properties of phenolic acids reported in this paper might be relevant in vivo. ..
- Kragelund C, Nilsson B, Eskilsson K, Bøgh A, Nielsen P. Full-scale control of Mycolata foam by FEX-120 addition. Water Sci Technol. 2010;61:2443-50 pubmed publisher..10 weeks. In two WWTPs with unknown Mycolata organisms, no reduction was observed. ..
- Hou Z, Wang Y, Hui K, Fang W, Zhao S, Zhang J, et al. A novel anti-lipopolysaccharide factor SpALF6 in mud crab Scylla paramamosain exhibiting different antimicrobial activity from its single amino acid mutant. Dev Comp Immunol. 2017;72:44-56 pubmed publisher..This study provided a new insight into the mechanisms of how ALF amino acid sequence diversity resulted in their functional divergence. ..
- Kumar R, Jangir P, Das J, Taneja B, Sharma R. Genome Analysis of Staphylococcus capitis TE8 Reveals Repertoire of Antimicrobial Peptides and Adaptation Strategies for Growth on Human Skin. Sci Rep. 2017;7:10447 pubmed publisher..capitis strains in comparison to Staphylococcus epidermidis and Staphylococcus caprae indicating towards their possible role in better adaptation and survival on human skin. ..
- Beitdaghar M, Ahmadrajabi R, Karmostaji A, Saffari F. In vitro activity of linezolid alone and combined with other antibiotics against clinical enterococcal isolates. Wien Med Wochenschr. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Antagonistic interactions in combinations containing LZD are rare. LZDÂ + DX and LZDÂ + CRO may be beneficial in the treatment of VREs. However, more time-kill studies as well as in vivo experiments are required. ..
- Chen X, Ku S, Weibel J, Ximenes E, Liu X, Ladisch M, et al. Enhanced Antimicrobial Efficacy of Bimetallic Porous CuO Microspheres Decorated with Ag Nanoparticles. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2017;9:39165-39173 pubmed publisher..Collectively, results from this work shed further light on possible mechanisms of antimicrobial action of micro-/nanoparticles and highlight the potential for bimetallic particle-based inhibition of microbial infections...
- Mazzoli S. [Biofilm and bacterial microrganisms in genito-urinary infections]. Infez Med. 2009;17 Suppl 1:3-9 pubmed
- Białecki J, Marczyński W, Milecki M, Obrebski M, Szyszka M. [Conduct and tactics of infections after hip arthroplasty]. Chir Narzadow Ruchu Ortop Pol. 2009;74:145-51 pubmed..Important within the post-surgery treatment is prolonged monitoring of the infective agents (CRP and SR). ..
- Citron D, Tyrrell K, Merriam C, Goldstein E. In vitro activity of ceftaroline against 623 diverse strains of anaerobic bacteria. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010;54:1627-32 pubmed publisher..Ceftaroline showed potent activity against a broad spectrum of anaerobes encountered in respiratory, skin, and soft tissue infections...
- De Martino L, De Feo V, Fratianni F, Nazzaro F. Chemistry, antioxidant, antibacterial and antifungal activities of volatile oils and their components. Nat Prod Commun. 2009;4:1741-50 pubmed..The oils proved inactive towards some Lactobacilli strains, whereas single components showed an appreciable activity. These results may be important for use of the essential oils as natural preservatives for food products. ..
- Silhavy T, Kahne D, Walker S. The bacterial cell envelope. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol. 2010;2:a000414 pubmed publisher..Threading through these layers of peptidoglycan are long anionic polymers, called teichoic acids. The composition and organization of these envelope layers and recent insights into the mechanisms of cell envelope assembly are discussed. ..
- Marchesi J. Prokaryotic and eukaryotic diversity of the human gut. Adv Appl Microbiol. 2010;72:43-62 pubmed publisher..Simply put, the Firmicutes and Bacteroidetes have made the gut their own, and the next stage in the study of this fascinating system will be to establish the roles they play in the host's health. ..
- Kocher S, Muller W, Resch B. Linezolid treatment of nosocomial bacterial infection with multiresistant Gram-positive pathogens in preterm infants: a systematic review. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2010;36:106-10 pubmed publisher..In summary, linezolid was shown to be a safe and effective alternative to vancomycin in the treatment of infections with multiresistant Gram-positive pathogens in preterm infants. ..
- Zander N, Gillan M, Sweetser D. Recycled PET Nanofibers for Water Filtration Applications. Materials (Basel). 2016;9: pubmed publisher..To reduce biofouling, the mats were functionalized with quaternary ammonium and biguanide biocides. The biguanide functionalized mats achieved 6 log reduction for both gram negative and gram positive bacteria.
- Jiang T, Zhu P, Du L, Li M. Identification of AI-2 Quorum Sensing Inhibitors in Vibrio harveyi Through Structure-Based Virtual Screening. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1673:353-362 pubmed publisher..Seven potent inhibitors with IC50 values in the micromolar range were selected with no effect or low effect on V. harveyi growth rate. ..
- Lyddiard D, Greatrex B. Serrulatic acid diastereomers identified from an antibacterial survey of Eremophila. Fitoterapia. 2018;126:29-34 pubmed publisher..nivea×E. drummondii as active against Gram positive bacteria. Thin layer chromatography with bioautography, flash chromatography and nuclear magnetic resonance led to ..
- Blumer J. Treatment of pediatric Gram-positive multidrug-resistant infections. J Infect. 2009;59 Suppl 1:S51-8 pubmed publisher..Utilizing carefully generated pharmacokinetic, pharmacodynamic, and pharmaceutical data, tools exist to select the appropriate antimicrobial agent for treatment of Gram-positive infections in pediatric patients. ..
- Kim B, Lee K, Kim M, Kim E, Rhee M, Kwon O, et al. Paenibacillus pinihumi sp. nov., a cellulolytic bacterium isolated from the rhizosphere of Pinus densiflora. J Microbiol. 2009;47:530-5 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the name, Paenibacillus pinihumi sp. nov., is proposed for the rhizosphere isolate; the type strain is S23(T) (=KCTC 13695(T) =KACC 14199(T) =JCM 16419(T)). ..
- Singh D, Kumar K, Sharma C, Aneja K. Template synthesis, spectroscopic, antibacterial, and antifungal studies of trivalent transition metal ion macrocyclic complexes. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem. 2010;25:544-50 pubmed publisher..Aspergillus niger, Aspergillus flavus. The MICs shown by the complexes against these microbial strains have been compared with MICs shown by standard antibiotic ciprofloxacin and the antifungal drug amphotericin-B. ..
- Ditu L, Mihăescu G, Chifiriuc C, Bleotu C, Morusciag L, Nitulescu G, et al. In vitro assessment of the antimicrobial activity of new N-acyl-thiourea derivatives. Roum Arch Microbiol Immunol. 2010;69:41-7 pubmed..The cytotoxicity was assessed microscopically, by observing the effect of the tested compounds on the cellular substratum integrity. ..
- McKelvey A, Lear T, Dunn S, Evankovich J, Londino J, Bednash J, et al. RING finger E3 ligase PPP1R11 regulates TLR2 signaling and innate immunity. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..These results suggest that PPP1R11 plays an important role in regulating innate immunity and gram-positive bacterial clearance by functioning, in part, through the ubiquitination and degradation of TLR2. ..
- Afonso A, Pereira O, Neto R, Silva A, Cardoso S. Health-Promoting Effects of Thymus herba-barona, Thymus pseudolanuginosus, and Thymus caespititius Decoctions. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Overall, this work is an important contribution for the phytochemical characterization and the potential antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial activities of these three Thymus species, which have been poorly explored. ..
- Liu M, Tung T, Chung F, Chuang L, Wan G. High total volatile organic compounds pollution in a hospital dental department. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:571 pubmed publisher..Micrococcus luteus and Bacillus cereus were the primary pathogens detected. The dental departments of the hospital had a serious TVOCs pollution. The air quality of dental departments deserves long-term surveillance and attention. ..
- Randall J, Hirst W, Simmons L. Substrate specificity for bacterial RNase HII and HIII is influenced by metal availability. J Bacteriol. 2017;: pubmed publisher..This work provides insight into how RNase HII and HIII repair the broad range of RNA:DNA hybrids that form in Gram-positive bacteria. ..
- Quezada M, Licona Cassani C, Cruz Morales P, Salim A, Marcellin E, Capon R, et al. Diverse Cone-Snail Species Harbor Closely Related Streptomyces Species with Conserved Chemical and Genetic Profiles, Including Polycyclic Tetramic Acid Macrolactams. Front Microbiol. 2017;8:2305 pubmed publisher..We provide an evolutionary framework to explain this relationship, driven by anti-fungal properties that protect Conus snails from fungal pathogens...