Summary: Paired sense organs connected to the anterior segments of ARTHROPODS that help them navigate through the environment.
- Azevedo A, Wilson R. Active Mechanisms of Vibration Encoding and Frequency Filtering in Central Mechanosensory Neurons. Neuron. 2017;96:446-460.e9 pubmed publisher..These results illustrate how membrane properties and voltage-gated conductances can extract distinct stimulus features into parallel channels. ..
- Chandler J, Fitzgibbon Q, Smith G, Elizur A, Ventura T. Y-linked iDmrt1 paralogue (iDMY) in the Eastern spiny lobster, Sagmariasus verreauxi: The first invertebrate sex-linked Dmrt. Dev Biol. 2017;430:337-345 pubmed publisher..Indeed, these features may underpin the plasticity facilitating the convergent emergence of these three sporadic sex-linked master-Dmrts. ..
- Oliveira D, Brito N, Nogueira F, Moreira M, Leal W, Soares M, et al. Proteomic analysis of the kissing bug Rhodnius prolixus antenna. J Insect Physiol. 2017;100:108-118 pubmed publisher..These findings not only increase our understanding of the olfactory process in triatomine species, but also identify potential molecular targets to be explored for population control of such insect vectors. ..
- Strauch M, Müthing C, Broeg M, Szyszka P, Münch D, Laudes T, et al. The looks of an odour--visualising neural odour response patterns in real time. BMC Bioinformatics. 2013;14 Suppl 19:S6 pubmed publisher..Apart from supporting neurobiology, the software allows for utilising the insect antenna as a chemosensor, e.g. to detect or to classify odours. ..
- Ku H, Sun Y. Notch-dependent epithelial fold determines boundary formation between developmental fields in the Drosophila antenna. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006898 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a new mechanism of boundary formation by actomyosin-dependent tissue folding, which provides a physical barrier to prevent mixing of cells from adjacent developmental fields. ..
- Chen Q, Pei D, Li J, Jing C, Wu W, Man Y. The antenna transcriptome changes in mosquito Anopheles sinensis, pre- and post- blood meal. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181399 pubmed publisher..This study provides a first global view in the changes of transcript accumulation elicited by blood meal in An. sinensis female antennae. ..
- Quero C, Vidal B, Guerrero A. EAG responses increase of Spodoptera littoralis antennae after a single pheromone pulse. Nat Prod Commun. 2014;9:1099-101 pubmed..Our results suggest that the olfactory receptor neurons, and not only the neurons in the antennal lobe, may be involved in the increased antennal response after a single pheromone pulse. ..
- Yan H, Opachaloemphan C, Mancini G, Yang H, Gallitto M, Mlejnek J, et al. An Engineered orco Mutation Produces Aberrant Social Behavior and Defective Neural Development in Ants. Cell. 2017;170:736-747.e9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the development of genetics in Harpegnathos establishes this ant species as a model organism to study the complexity of eusociality. ..
- Trible W, Olivos Cisneros L, McKenzie S, Saragosti J, Chang N, Matthews B, et al. orco Mutagenesis Causes Loss of Antennal Lobe Glomeruli and Impaired Social Behavior in Ants. Cell. 2017;170:727-735.e10 pubmed publisher..video abstract. ..
- Wasser H, Biller A, Antonopoulos G, Meyer H, Bicker G, Stern M. Regeneration of axotomized olfactory neurons in young and adult locusts quantified by fasciclin I immunofluorescence. Cell Tissue Res. 2017;368:1-12 pubmed publisher..Immunofluorescence was measured in the AL during de- and regeneration in adults and 5th instar nymphs: after a rapid but transient, decrease, it reappeared. Both processes happen faster in 5th instar nymphs than in adults. ..
- Kendra P, Owens D, Montgomery W, Narvaez T, Bauchan G, Schnell E, et al. ?-Copaene is an attractant, synergistic with quercivorol, for improved detection of Euwallacea nr. fornicatus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae). PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179416 pubmed publisher..Results indicate that detection of pest E. nr. fornicatus in Florida can be improved by using a two-component lure consisting of p-menth-2-en-1-ol and (-)-?-copaene. ..
- Feng B, Guo Q, Zheng K, Qin Y, Du Y. Antennal transcriptome analysis of the piercing moth Oraesia emarginata (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179433 pubmed publisher..The findings of the present study may help explain the molecular mechanism underlying olfaction and the evolution of olfactory genes encoding sex pheromones in O. emarginata. ..
- Jayaweera A, Barry K. Male antenna morphology and its effect on scramble competition in false garden mantids. Naturwissenschaften. 2017;104:75 pubmed publisher..Results of the current study suggest that antenna morphology plays a significant role in mate location and hence scramble competition in the P. albofimbriata mating system. ..
- Lin X, Zhang L, Jiang Y. Characterization of Spodoptera litura (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) Takeout Genes and Their Differential Responses to Insecticides and Sex Pheromone. J Insect Sci. 2017;17: pubmed publisher..Our results lay a foundation for studying the role of TO genes in the interaction between insecticides and sex pheromone...
- Wang S, Shan S, Zheng Y, Peng Y, Lu Z, Yang Y, et al. Gene structure and expression characteristic of a novel odorant receptor gene cluster in the parasitoid wasp Microplitis mediator (Hymenoptera: Braconidae). Insect Mol Biol. 2017;26:420-431 pubmed publisher..Overall, there were distinct expression profiles of closely related MmedOR genes from the same cluster in M. mediator. These data provide a basic understanding of the olfactory coding in parasitoid wasps. ..