Genomes and Genes
Summary: Membranous appendage of fish and other aquatic organisms used for locomotion or balance.
- Hasegawa T, Hall C, Crosier P, Abe G, Kawakami K, Kudo A, et al. Transient inflammatory response mediated by interleukin-1? is required for proper regeneration in zebrafish fin fold. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..Our study reveals that proper levels of Il1b signaling and tissue inflammation, which are tuned by macrophages, play a crucial role in tissue regeneration. ..
- Andrade M, Machado V, Jegu M, Farias I, Giarrizzo T. A new species of Tometes Valenciennes 1850 (Characiformes: Serrasalmidae) from Tocantins-Araguaia River Basin based on integrative analysis of molecular and morphological data. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0170053 pubmed publisher..These findings increase the number of formally described species of Tometes to seven. A key to the Tometes species is provided. ..
- Shih A, Mendelson L, Techet A. Archer fish jumping prey capture: kinematics and hydrodynamics. J Exp Biol. 2017;220:1411-1422 pubmed publisher..During jump initiation, these fins were used to produce as much vertical acceleration as possible given the spatial constraint of starting directly at the water's surface to aim. ..
- Jelcic M, Enyedi B, Xavier J, Niethammer P. Image-Based Measurement of H2O2 Reaction-Diffusion in Wounded Zebrafish Larvae. Biophys J. 2017;112:2011-2018 pubmed publisher..Thus, Duox-mediated long-range signaling may require other spatial relay mechanisms besides extracellular H2O2 diffusion. ..
- Eskova A, Chauvigné F, Maischein H, Ammelburg M, Cerdà J, NUSSLEIN VOLHARD C, et al. Gain-of-function mutations in Aqp3a influence zebrafish pigment pattern formation through the tissue environment. Development. 2017;144:2059-2069 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate an important effect of the tissue environment on pigment cell behaviour and, thereby, on pattern formation. ..
- Kara N, Wei C, Commanday A, Patton J. miR-27 regulates chondrogenesis by suppressing focal adhesion kinase during pharyngeal arch development. Dev Biol. 2017;429:321-334 pubmed publisher..These data support a crucial role for miR-27 in promoting chondrogenic differentiation in the pharyngeal arches through regulation of FAK. ..
- Lalonde R, Akimenko M. Effects of fin fold mesenchyme ablation on fin development in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2018;13:e0192500 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, due to their fate as fin ray osteoblasts, we propose their initial ablation, and subsequent disorganization produces truncated fin dermal bone elements during late larval stages. ..
- Minchin J, Rawls J. A classification system for zebrafish adipose tissues. Dis Model Mech. 2017;10:797-809 pubmed publisher..Altogether, this resource provides foundational information on the identity, dynamics and expected quantities of zebrafish ATs for use as a reference for future studies. ..
- Killen S, Glazier D, Rezende E, Clark T, Atkinson D, Willener A, et al. Ecological Influences and Morphological Correlates of Resting and Maximal Metabolic Rates across Teleost Fish Species. Am Nat. 2016;187:592-606 pubmed publisher..These results support the aerobic capacity model of the evolution of endothermy, suggesting elevated body temperatures evolved as correlated responses to selection for high activity levels. ..
- Faircloth B, Sorenson L, Santini F, Alfaro M. A Phylogenomic Perspective on the Radiation of Ray-Finned Fishes Based upon Targeted Sequencing of Ultraconserved Elements (UCEs). PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e65923 pubmed publisher..Our approach additionally reveals that sequence capture of UCE regions and their flanking sequence offers enormous potential for resolving phylogenetic relationships within ray-finned fishes. ..