Summary: The application of technology to the solution of medical problems.
- Frønsdal K, Facey K, Klemp M, Norderhaug I, Mørland B, Røttingen J. Health technology assessment to optimize health technology utilization: using implementation initiatives and monitoring processes. Int J Technol Assess Health Care. 2010;26:309-16 pubmed publisher..Evidence-based implementation initiatives should be developed for HTA, to better inform decision makers at all levels in a health system about the optimal use of technology. ..
- Caplan A, Elliott C. Is it ethical to use enhancement technologies to make us better than well?. PLoS Med. 2004;1:e52 pubmed..quot; While these technologies can help people adapt to their rapidly changing lifestyles, their use raises important ethical issues. ..
- Metzler I, Webster A. Bio-objects and their boundaries: governing matters at the intersection of society, politics, and science. Croat Med J. 2011;52:648-50 pubmed
- Menon D, Stafinski T. Role of patient and public participation in health technology assessment and coverage decisions. Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2011;11:75-89 pubmed publisher..Nonetheless, many of the HTA agencies in developed countries have established some mechanism for seeking input from patients or the public in their processes. ..
- Gauvin F, Abelson J, Giacomini M, Eyles J, Lavis J. "It all depends": conceptualizing public involvement in the context of health technology assessment agencies. Soc Sci Med. 2010;70:1518-26 pubmed publisher..We offer a conceptual tool for analyzing the nature of public involvement across agencies, characterizing different domains, levels of involvement, and types of publics. ..
- Wallner P, Konski A. A changing paradigm in the study and adoption of emerging health care technologies: coverage with evidence development. J Am Coll Radiol. 2008;5:1125-9 pubmed publisher..This discussion focuses on the emergence of a reimbursement methodology termed "coverage with evidence development" and how the radiation oncology and general oncology communities may participate. ..
- Hanney S, Buxton M, Green C, Coulson D, Raftery J. An assessment of the impact of the NHS Health Technology Assessment Programme. Health Technol Assess. 2007;11:iii-iv, ix-xi, 1-180 pubmed..A project that collated health research impact studies in an ongoing manner and analysed them in a consistent fashion would also be valuable. ..
- Faulkner A, Kent J, Geesink I, Fitzpatrick D. Purity and the dangers of regenerative medicine: regulatory innovation of human tissue-engineered technology. Soc Sci Med. 2006;63:2277-88 pubmed..We conclude that pollution ideas and partitioning processes are useful in understanding regulatory ordering and innovation in the emerging technological zone of human tissue engineering. ..
- Glukhova X, Prusakova O, Trizna J, Zaripov M, Afanas eva G, Glukhov A, et al. Updates on the Production of Therapeutic Antibodies Using Human Hybridoma Technique. Curr Pharm Des. 2016;22:870-8 pubmed..In this review, we describe new advances in all components of human hybridoma technology and discuss challenges in generating novel therapeutic mABs based on hybridoma technologies. ..
- Guan R, Cipriano A, Zhao Z, Lock J, Tie D, Zhao T, et al. Development and evaluation of a magnesium-zinc-strontium alloy for biomedical applications--alloy processing, microstructure, mechanical properties, and biodegradation. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl. 2013;33:3661-9 pubmed publisher..The superior mechanical properties and corrosion resistance of the new ZSr41 alloy make it a promising alloy for next-generation implant applications...
- Malhotra A, Zhang X, Turkson J, Santra S. Buffer-stable chitosan-polyglutamic acid hybrid nanoparticles for biomedical applications. Macromol Biosci. 2013;13:603-13 pubmed publisher..Successful demonstration of buffer stability and cancer cell targeting by HNPs achieves important milestones for chitosan-based nanoparticle technology. ..
- Workman A, Gupta S. A plastic surgeon's guide to applying smartphone technology in patient care. Aesthet Surg J. 2013;33:275-80 pubmed publisher..The role of smartphone apps is important to the future of plastic surgery as long as plastic surgeons maintain an active role in the development of these apps to ensure their value. ..
- de Meijer C, O Donnell O, Koopmanschap M, van Doorslaer E. Health expenditure growth: looking beyond the average through decomposition of the full distribution. J Health Econ. 2013;32:88-105 pubmed publisher..Changes in hospital practice styles make the largest contribution of all determinants to increased spending not only on hospital care but also on pharmaceuticals, suggesting important spill over effects. ..
- Allen L, Christie G. The Emergence of Personalized Health Technology. J Med Internet Res. 2016;18:e99 pubmed publisher..Frugal innovation and public-private partnership are discussed as the major means for reaching this end. ..
- Kaltenthaler E, Papaioannou D, Boland A, Dickson R. The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence Single Technology Appraisal process: lessons from the first 4 years. Value Health. 2011;14:1158-65 pubmed publisher..One-third of the referred topics were suspended or terminated. The NICE STA process is slower than initially anticipated and this is primarily due to events outside of NICE's direct control. ..
- Silva M. [Health technology assessment: experience in the Ministry of Health of Brazil]. Rev Peru Med Exp Salud Publica. 2011;28:548-51 pubmed..However, challenges remain to achieve a more effective structure for HTA in Brazil, like the creation of a government institution with greater administrative flexibility, among others. ..
- Law M, Orlando E, Baker G. Organizational interventions in response to duty hour reforms. BMC Med Educ. 2014;14 Suppl 1:S4 pubmed publisher..g., use of technology, shift changes, staff mix) and macro (e.g., culture, leadership support) organizational aspects to aid in our understanding of how best to respond to these duty hour reforms. ..
- Martinez Licona F, Azpiroz Leehan J, Méndez M, Sacristan Rock E. Analysis of the impact of medical technology assessment subjects on BME curricula. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2012;2012:5066-9 pubmed publisher..Also, several elements and factors pertaining to the teaching-learning process are discussed. Future perspectives for the students that follow this sub-specialty branch of the BME curriculum are presented. ..
- Lal J, Schulte In den Bäumen T, Morre S, Brand A. Public health and valorization of genome-based technologies: a new model. J Transl Med. 2011;9:207 pubmed publisher..It also helps industry and researchers to come to a strategic decision at an early stage, about technology being developed thus, saving on resources, hence minimizing failures. ..
- Yang B. Interview: Health technology assessment in Asia: an emerging trend. J Comp Eff Res. 2012;1:221-4 pubmed publisher..He is currently serving as Chair of the International Society of Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research-Asia Consortium, and a member of the Board of Directors of the International Society of Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research. ..
- Akhmediev N, Rottwitt K. Focus issue introduction: nonlinear photonics. Opt Express. 2012;20:27212-20 pubmed publisher..It is also worthy to mention here that the next meeting "Nonlinear Photonics" is planned to be held in Barcelona - one of the main European centers on this subject. ..
- Reichwaldt N, Maslak S, Wolf K, Haux R. A literature overview and comparison of driving impairing condition assessment approaches by health enabling technologies. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2012;180:1123-5 pubmed..A comparison of the approaches to detect these conditions suggests that a combination of approaches is the most feasible method. However, there are still few systems that focus on the elderly. ..
- Spratling R, Weaver S. Theoretical perspective: resilience in medically fragile adolescents. Res Theory Nurs Pract. 2012;26:54-68 pubmed..Further study is needed to test this model in medically fragile adolescents with hopes to foster positive outcomes for these adolescents. ..
- Oh D, Cha Y, Nguyen H, Je H, Jho Y, Hwang D, et al. Chiral nematic self-assembly of minimally surface damaged chitin nanofibrils and its load bearing functions. Sci Rep. 2016;6:23245 pubmed publisher..This chiral chitin nanostructure exceptionally toughens the composite. Our resultant chiral nematic phase of chitin materials can contribute to the understanding and use of the reinforcing strategy in nature. ..
- Dammacco F. [Internal medicine and the holistic approach to the patient between globalization and advanced technologies]. Recenti Prog Med. 2012;103:248-55 pubmed publisher..Indeed, familism, nepotism, unfairness, inefficiency and comparative evaluations marked by an excess of local factors have inevitably caused merciless and often deserved criticism that has been extensively debated in several monographs. ..
- Squires D. Explaining high health care spending in the United States: an international comparison of supply, utilization, prices, and quality. Issue Brief (Commonw Fund). 2012;10:1-14 pubmed..S. varies and is not notably superior to the far less expensive systems in the other study countries. Of the countries studied, Japan has the lowest health spending, which it achieves primarily through aggressive price regulation. ..
- Montague E, Asan O. Trust in technology-mediated collaborative health encounters: constructing trust in passive user interactions with technologies. Ergonomics. 2012;55:752-61 pubmed publisher..Study findings have implications for how trust is conceptualised and measured in interpersonal relationships and in technologies. ..
- Leventhal A, Chen G, Negro A, Boehm M. The benefits and risks of stem cell technology. Oral Dis. 2012;18:217-22 pubmed publisher..Therefore, an understanding of stem cell technology will be necessary for clinicians in the future. Herein, we give a basic overview of stem cell biology and therapeutics for the practicing clinician. ..
- Schmidt S, Verweij M. The PHM-Ethics methodology: interdisciplinary technology assessment of personal health monitoring. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013;187:13-20 pubmed..An overview on this interdisciplinary methodology and its comprising modules is provided, areas of application and intended target groups are indicated. ..
- Mulvany M. Biomedical PhD education--an international perspective. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2013;112:289-95 pubmed publisher..The article is based on the author's experience as Head of Aarhus Graduate School of Health Sciences 2002-2011 and his work with graduate schools across Europe and internationally through the organization ORPHEUS. ..
- Lee G, Lee J, Wang X, Lee S. Bottom-Up Engineering of Well-Defined 3D Microtissues Using Microplatforms and Biomedical Applications. Adv Healthc Mater. 2016;5:56-74 pubmed publisher..Applications of 3D microtissues in biomedical fields are described, and the future direction of microplatform-based engineering of 3D micro-tissues is discussed. ..
- Biesiekierski A, Lin J, Li Y, Ping D, Yamabe Mitarai Y, Wen C. Investigations into Ti-(Nb,Ta)-Fe alloys for biomedical applications. Acta Biomater. 2016;32:336-347 pubmed publisher..That this is achieved in the absence of thermomechanical processing represents a significant and novel outcome of substantial benefit for application as a porous biomaterial. ..
- Goodman A. Analysis, biomedicine, collaboration, and determinism challenges and guidance: wish list for biopharmaceuticals on the interface of computing and statistics. J Biopharm Stat. 2011;21:1140-57 pubmed publisher..From any sample of diseased people, we may more successfully infer gene probability distributions than genes themselves, and it poses an issue to resolve. My position is supported by 2-3 articles a week in ScienceDaily, 2011. ..
- Bogen E, Aarsæther E, Augestad K, Lindsetmo R, Patel H. Telemedical technologies in urological cancer care: past, present and future applications. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2013;13:795-809 pubmed publisher..The arrival of wireless connections has further enhanced the possibilities for all clinical work with focus on diagnosis, treatment and management of urological cancers, as highlighted in this article. ..
- Li Y, Rodrigues J, Tomás H. Injectable and biodegradable hydrogels: gelation, biodegradation and biomedical applications. Chem Soc Rev. 2012;41:2193-221 pubmed publisher..The gelation and biodegradation which are two key factors to affect the cell fate or drug delivery are highlighted. A brief outlook on the future of injectable and biodegradable hydrogels is also presented (326 references). ..
- Holland S, Hope T. The ethics of attaching research conditions to access to new health technologies. J Med Ethics. 2012;38:366-71 pubmed publisher..However, there are important features of these distinctive judgements that must be taken into account by resource allocation decision-making bodies and research ethics committees, and that require new sorts of empirical data. ..
- Jumutc V, Zayakin P, Borisov A. Ranking-based kernels in applied biomedical diagnostics using a support vector machine. Int J Neural Syst. 2011;21:459-73 pubmed..Our experimental results and theoretical generalization bounds imply that ranking-based kernels outperform other traditionally employed SVM kernels on high dimensional biomedical and microarray data. ..
- Silva H, Petramale C, Elias F. [Advances and challenges to the Brazilian policy of health technology management]. Rev Saude Publica. 2012;46 Suppl 1:83-90 pubmed
- Schiel R, Kaps A, Bieber G. Electronic health technology for the assessment of physical activity and eating habits in children and adolescents with overweight and obesity IDA. Appetite. 2012;58:432-7 pubmed publisher..45, p<0.01) and body shape (?=-0.25, p=0.01). The innovative mobile movement detection system is highly accepted by children and adolescents. The system is able to augment existing weight reduction and stabilization strategies. ..
- Stevens A, Doyle N, Littlejohns P, Docherty M. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence appraisal and ageism. J Med Ethics. 2012;38:258-62 pubmed publisher..This paper argues that NICE has established rigorous systems to protect against ageist decisions, has no track record of ageism and is well placed to meet the requirements of new UK equality legislation. ..
- An H, Jin B. Prospects of nanoparticle-DNA binding and its implications in medical biotechnology. Biotechnol Adv. 2012;30:1721-32 pubmed publisher..The information presented in this review can provide useful references for further studies on biomedical science and technology. ..
- Jeon M, Lee S, Lee K, Tan A, Kang J. BEReX: Biomedical Entity-Relationship eXplorer. Bioinformatics. 2014;30:135-6 pubmed publisher..BEReX is implemented as a standalone Java application. BEReX and a detailed user guide are available for download at our project Web site (http://infos.korea.ac.kr/berex). ..
- Karlin Zysman C, Zeitoun N, Belletti L, McCullagh L, McGinn T. Struggling to bring clinical prediction rules to the point of care: missed opportunities to impact patient care. J Comp Eff Res. 2012;1:421-9 pubmed publisher..Recommendations include emphasis on a collaborative framework, using existing technologies, and utilization of usability and workflow integration methodology. ..
- Abdul Karim R, Zakaria N, Zulkifley M, Mustafa M, Sagap I, Md Latar N. Telepointer technology in telemedicine: a review. Biomed Eng Online. 2013;12:21 pubmed publisher..More results from actual test (real patient) need to be reported. We believe that by addressing these two issues, telepointer technology will be embraced widely by researchers and practitioners. ..
- Warren V. Understanding regenerative medicine: a commissioner's viewpoint. Regen Med. 2013;8:227-32 pubmed publisher..This article is potentially useful to developers of RM products as well as to commissioners of care, as it demonstrates what information will be required for a key step towards the adoption of their product. ..