Summary: Investigative techniques which measure the topological, geometric, and or geographic properties of the entities studied.
- McKinney J, Hoffmayer E, Holmberg J, Graham R, Driggers W, de la Parra Venegas R, et al. Long-term assessment of whale shark population demography and connectivity using photo-identification in the Western Atlantic Ocean. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180495 pubmed publisher..At a global level, rapidly growing photographic databases are allowing for researchers to look beyond the description of single aggregation sites and into the ocean-scale ecology of this pelagic species. ..
- Yeh H, Hsu S, Chang Y, Chan T, Tsou H, Chang Y, et al. Spatial Analysis of Ambient PM2.5 Exposure and Bladder Cancer Mortality in Taiwan. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..This is the first time PM2.5 has been identified as a risk factor for bladder cancer based on the statistical evidence provided by GWR analysis. ..
- Kapwata T, Morris N, Campbell A, Mthiyane T, Mpangase P, Nelson K, et al. Spatial distribution of extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR TB) patients in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181797 pubmed publisher..We sought to determine the geographic distribution of XDR TB patients and proximity to health facilities in KwaZulu-Natal...
- Xu C, Xiao G. Spatiotemporal risk mapping of hand, foot and mouth disease and its association with meteorological variables in children under 5 years. Epidemiol Infect. 2017;145:2912-2920 pubmed publisher..High-risk areas were mainly large cities, such as Beijing, Tianjin, Shijiazhuang and their neighbouring areas. These findings can contribute to risk control and implementation of disease-prevention policies. ..
- Ayubi E, Mansournia M, Motlagh A, Mosavi Jarrahi A, Hosseini A, Yazdani K. Exploring neighborhood inequality in female breast cancer incidence in Tehran using Bayesian spatial models and a spatial scan statistic. Epidemiol Health. 2017;39:e2017021 pubmed publisher..05 (p<0.001). Neighborhood-level inequality in the incidence of BC exists in Tehran. These findings can serve as a basis for resource allocation and preventive strategies in at-risk areas. ..
- Psoter K, Rosenfeld M, De Roos A, Mayer J, Wakefield J. Differential geographical risk of initial Pseudomonas aeruginosa acquisition in young US children with cystic fibrosis. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;179:1503-13 pubmed publisher..The fact that risk for P. aeruginosa acquisition displayed spatial dependence suggests that regional factors, such as climate, may play an important role in P. aeruginosa acquisition. ..
- Kajita E, Luarca M, Wu H, Hwang B, Mascola L. Harnessing Syndromic Surveillance Emergency Department Data to Monitor Health Impacts During the 2015 Special Olympics World Games. Public Health Rep. 2017;132:99S-105S pubmed publisher..Syndromic surveillance has the potential to enhance ED patient polling and reporting of exposure, symptom, and other epidemiologic case definition criteria to public health agencies in near-real time. ..
- Li F, Wang L, Zhao Y. Evolvement rules of basin flood risk under low-carbon mode. Part I: response of soil organic carbon to land use change and its influence on land use planning in the Haihe basin. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:377 pubmed publisher..5 Tg in 2020. The changing trend is conducive to reducing atmospheric concentrations. Therefore, land use planning in Haihe basin is reasonable and can provide the underlying surface condition for flood risk assessment. ..
- Kimball H, Selmants P, Moreno A, Running S, Giardina C. Evaluating the role of land cover and climate uncertainties in computing gross primary production in Hawaiian Island ecosystems. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184466 pubmed publisher..Our sensitivity analyses within a heterogeneous tropical landscape suggest that refined global land cover and climate data sets may contribute to an enhanced MOD17 product at a variety of spatial scales. ..
- Yeşilkanat C, Kobya Y, Taskin H, Cevik U. Spatial interpolation and radiological mapping of ambient gamma dose rate by using artificial neural networks and fuzzy logic methods. J Environ Radioact. 2017;175-176:78-93 pubmed publisher..92 for MLP, RBFNN, QRNN, JN, EN and FL, respectively. In addition, spatial risk maps showing distributions of AGDR of the study area were created by all models and results were compared with geological, topological and soil structure. ..
- Al Jawabreh A, Ereqat S, Dumaidi K, Nasereddin A, Al Jawabreh H, Azmi K, et al. The clinical burden of human cystic echinococcosis in Palestine, 2010-2015. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005717 pubmed publisher..CE cases were map-spotted and statistically significant foci identified by spatial analysis. A total of 353 CE patients were identified in 108 localities from the West Bank and Gaza Strip...
- Berrozpe P, Lamattina D, Santini M, Araujo A, Utgés M, Salomón O. Environmental suitability for Lutzomyia longipalpis in a subtropical city with a recently established visceral leishmaniasis transmission cycle, Argentina. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2017;112:674-680 pubmed publisher..The results contribute to the identification of variables that can be used to establish priority areas for entomological surveillance and provide an efficient transfer tool for the control and prevention of vector-borne diseases. ..
- Khormi H, Kumar L. Climate change and the potential global distribution of Aedes aegypti: spatial modelling using GIS and CLIMEX. Geospat Health. 2014;8:405-15 pubmed
- Nascimento R, Costa M, Braga J, Natividade M. Spatial patterns of preventable perinatal mortality in Salvador, Bahia, Brazil. Rev Saude Publica. 2017;51:73 pubmed publisher..The characteristics of the process of urban development of Salvador, which has inadequate prenatal care, possibly influenced the magnitude and spatial distribution pattern of this mortality. ..
- Walsh M, Willem de Smalen A, Mor S. Wetlands, wild Bovidae species richness and sheep density delineate risk of Rift Valley fever outbreaks in the African continent and Arabian Peninsula. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005756 pubmed publisher..These results await validation by studies employing a deeper, field-based interrogation of potential wildlife hosts within high risk taxa. ..
- Montenegro D, Cunha A, Ladeia Andrade S, Vera M, Pedroso M, Junqueira A. Multi-criteria decision analysis and spatial statistic: an approach to determining human vulnerability to vector transmission of Trypanosoma cruzi. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2017;112:709-718 pubmed publisher..The study model proposed here is flexible and can be adapted to various eco-epidemiological profiles and is suitable for focusing anti-T. cruzi serological surveillance programs in vulnerable human populations. ..
- Czolowski E, Santoro R, Srebotnjak T, Shonkoff S. Toward Consistent Methodology to Quantify Populations in Proximity to Oil and Gas Development: A National Spatial Analysis and Review. Environ Health Perspect. 2017;125:086004 pubmed publisher..g., oil, wet gas, dry gas) and developmental stages of wells. https://doi.org/10.1289/EHP1535. ..
- . Evaluation of geospatial methods to generate subnational HIV prevalence estimates for local level planning. AIDS. 2016;30:1467-74 pubmed publisher..Therefore, spatial analysis methods that leverage available data to provide local estimates of HIV prevalence may be useful...
- Possas C, Brasil P, Marzochi M, Tanuri A, Martins R, Marques E, et al. Zika puzzle in Brazil: peculiar conditions of viral introduction and dissemination - A Review. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2017;112:319-327 pubmed publisher..Responses to the Zika outbreak and the development of new products are also discussed. ..
- Duncan D, Kawachi I, Subramanian S, Aldstadt J, Melly S, Williams D. Examination of how neighborhood definition influences measurements of youths' access to tobacco retailers: a methodological note on spatial misclassification. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;179:373-81 pubmed publisher..These analyses suggest that, whenever possible, egocentric neighborhood definitions should be used. The use of larger administrative neighborhood definitions can bias exposure estimates for proximity measures. ..
- Hauri D, Spycher B, Huss A, Zimmermann F, Grotzer M, von der Weid N, et al. Exposure to radio-frequency electromagnetic fields from broadcast transmitters and risk of childhood cancer: a census-based cohort study. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;179:843-51 pubmed publisher..Results for CNS tumors were less consistent, but the most comprehensive analysis did not suggest an association. ..
- Melo H, Rossoni D, Teodoro U. Spatial distribution of cutaneous leishmaniasis in the state of Paraná, Brazil. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185401 pubmed publisher..The state of Paraná should keep a constant surveillance over CL due to the prominent presence of socioeconomic and environmental factors such as the favorable circumstances for the vectors present in peri-urban and agriculture áreas...
- Boente C, Matanzas N, Garcia Gonzalez N, Rodríguez Valdés E, Gallego J. Trace elements of concern affecting urban agriculture in industrialized areas: A multivariate approach. Chemosphere. 2017;183:546-556 pubmed publisher..On the whole, the combination of a multivariate (geo) statistic approach and a bioavailability assessment allowed us to efficiently identify sources of contamination and potential risks. ..
- Huang Y, Liu A, Lafon B, Friedman D, Dayan M, Wang X, et al. Measurements and models of electric fields in the in vivo human brain during transcranial electric stimulation. elife. 2017;6: pubmed publisher..This is the first study to validate and calibrate current-flow models with in vivo intracranial recordings in humans, providing a solid foundation to target stimulation and interpret clinical trials...
- Salam N, Azam S. Prevalence and distribution of soil-transmitted helminth infections in India. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:201 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to comprehensively review the literature associated with soil-transmitted helminth infections from India giving a clear idea of its prevalence, distribution and high endemic areas. ..
- Dogru A, David R, Ulugtekin N, Goksel C, Seker D, Sozen S. GIS based spatial pattern analysis: Children with Hepatitis A in Turkey. Environ Res. 2017;156:349-357 pubmed publisher..The majority of clusters and hot spots were detected to be agglomerated in the Eastern Mediterranean and South-Eastern Anatolian Regions and Ceyhan, Asi and Southeast part of Firat-Dicle river basins in Turkey. ..
- Nagara Y, Takada T, Nagata Y, Kado S, Kushiro A. Microscale spatial analysis provides evidence for adhesive monopolization of dietary nutrients by specific intestinal bacteria. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175497 pubmed publisher..We believe that our analytical approach could possibly be applied to other nutritional factors, and can be a powerful tool to investigate in vivo relationships between bacteria and environmental factors in the intestine...
- Antonio F, Itami A, de Picoli S, Teixeira J, Mendes R. Spatial patterns of dengue cases in Brazil. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180715 pubmed publisher..This regime leads to a typical dengue traveling distance. Finally, we considered modeling this last behaviour within the framework of a Edwards-Wilkinson equation with a fractional derivative on space. ..
- Anderson D, Rojas L, Watson S, Knelson L, Pruitt S, Lewis S, et al. Identification of novel risk factors for community-acquired Clostridium difficile infection using spatial statistics and geographic information system analyses. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176285 pubmed publisher..difficile and adds to the growing evidence that farm practices may put patients at risk for important drug-resistant infections. ..
- Silva T, Coura Vital W, Barbosa D, Oiko C, Morais M, Tourinho B, et al. Spatial and temporal trends of visceral leishmaniasis by mesoregion in a southeastern state of Brazil, 2002-2013. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005950 pubmed publisher..This study analyzes the spatial and temporal distribution of VL in the Brazilian state of Minas Gerais and identifies the areas with higher risks of transmission...
- Bull J, Gordon A, Law E, Suttle K, Milner Gulland E. Importance of baseline specification in evaluating conservation interventions and achieving no net loss of biodiversity. Conserv Biol. 2014;28:799-809 pubmed..We argue the choice is thus of fundamental importance for conservation policy. Our results shed light on situations in which biodiversity offsets may be an inappropriate policy instrument. ..
- Mathes R, Lall R, Levin Rector A, Sell J, Paladini M, Konty K, et al. Evaluating and implementing temporal, spatial, and spatio-temporal methods for outbreak detection in a local syndromic surveillance system. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184419 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we found the scan statistics, as applied in the SaTScan software package, to be the easiest to program and implement for daily data analysis. ..
- Katano I, Harada K, Doi H, Souma R, Minamoto T. Environmental DNA method for estimating salamander distribution in headwater streams, and a comparison of water sampling methods. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176541 pubmed publisher..We, therefore, conclude that eDNA methods could be used to determine the distribution of macroorganisms inhabiting headwater systems by using samples collected from the surface of the water. ..
- Jung W, Lee S, Lee Y, Chae Y. Exploring spatial patterns of acupoint indications from clinical data: A STROBE-compliant article. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e6768 pubmed publisher..Future studies should include more meaningful clinical data with larger sample sizes. ..
- Olson L, Squires J, Oakleaf R, Wallace Z, Kennedy P. Predicting above-ground density and distribution of small mammal prey species at large spatial scales. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177165 pubmed publisher..Spatial predictions from our models provide a landscape-scale metric of above-ground prey density, which will facilitate the development of conservation plans for these taxa and their predators at spatial scales relevant to management. ..
- Stewart M, Vercellotti G. Application of geographic information systems to investigating associations between social status and burial location in medieval Trino Vercellese (Piedmont, Italy). Am J Phys Anthropol. 2017;164:11-29 pubmed publisher..This research exemplifies the advantages of integrating bioarchaeology and spatial analysis to examine mortuary behavior and health outcomes in highly stratified societies where access to resources is ..
- Nagata T, Abe T, Takamori A, Kimura Y, Hagihara A. Factors associated with the occurrence of injuries requiring hospital transfer among older and working-age pedestrians in Kurume, Japan. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:537 pubmed publisher..To reduce severe pedestrian injuries among older people, improvement of road infrastructure in areas with wider roads, higher socioeconomic status and higher aging rates is required. ..
- Santos FrancÃ©s F, MartÃnez GraÃ±a A, Zarza C, SÃ¡nchez A, Rojo P. Spatial Distribution of Heavy Metals and the Environmental Quality of Soil in the Northern Plateau of Spain by Geostatistical Methods. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..Other soil parameters, such as the organic matter content, pH, clay content and cation exchange capacity, was measured to determine their influence on and correlation with the heavy metal contents. ..
- Li Y, Wang J, Gao M, Fang L, Liu C, Lyu X, et al. Geographical Environment Factors and Risk Assessment of Tick-Borne Encephalitis in Hulunbuir, Northeastern China. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..The TBE risk distribution revealed that the impact of the geographic factors changed depending on the heterogeneity. ..
- Raknes G, Hansen E, Hunskaar S. Distance and utilisation of out-of-hours services in a Norwegian urban/rural district: an ecological study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2013;13:222 pubmed publisher..Extremely long distances might compromise patient safety. This must be taken into consideration when organising future out-of-hours districts. ..
- Wang L, Qian C, Kats P, Kontokosta C, Sobolevsky S. Structure of 311 service requests as a signature of urban location. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0186314 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate 311 Service Requests data can be used to monitor and predict socioeconomic performance of urban neighborhoods, allowing urban stakeholders to quantify the impacts of their interventions...
- Mobley L, Kuo T, Scott L, Rutherford Y, Bose S. Modeling Geospatial Patterns of Late-Stage Diagnosis of Breast Cancer in the US. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..The USCS database is expanding to cover more states and is expected to be a valuable resource for ongoing and future place-based cancer outcomes research. ..
- Wardrop N, Kuo C, Wang H, Clements A, Lee P, Atkinson P. Bayesian spatial modelling and the significance of agricultural land use to scrub typhus infection in Taiwan. Geospat Health. 2013;8:229-39 pubmed..Future land use policy decision-making should ensure that potential public health outcomes, such as modified risk of scrub typhus, are considered. ..
- Mulvey C, Breckels L, Geladaki A, Britovsek N, Nightingale D, Christoforou A, et al. Using hyperLOPIT to perform high-resolution mapping of the spatial proteome. Nat Protoc. 2017;12:1110-1135 pubmed publisher..The procedure we outline here is applicable to any cell culture system and requires ?1 week to complete sample preparation steps, ?2 d for mass spectrometry data acquisition and 1-2 d for data analysis and downstream informatics. ..
- Opiro R, Saarman N, Echodu R, Opiyo E, Dion K, Halyard A, et al. Genetic diversity and population structure of the tsetse fly Glossina fuscipes fuscipes (Diptera: Glossinidae) in Northern Uganda: Implications for vector control. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005485 pubmed publisher..Additionally, our findings highlight the need for continuing tsetse monitoring efforts during and after control...
- Zhao Z, Jiang Y, Li Q, Cai Y, Yin H, Zhang L, et al. Spatial correlation analysis of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and organochlorine pesticides (OCPs) in sediments between Taihu Lake and its tributary rivers. Ecotoxicol Environ Saf. 2017;142:117-128 pubmed publisher..Although no frequently adverse effects were observed, potential ecological risks induced by Ant, BaA, ?-HCH, dieldrin, p,p'-DDT and chlordanes should also be paid attention to considering the continuous inputs of such pollutants. ..
- Mielke H, Gonzales C, Powell E. Soil Lead and Children's Blood Lead Disparities in Pre- and Post-Hurricane Katrina New Orleans (USA). Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..Primary prevention of lead exposure can be accomplished by reducing soil lead in the urban environment. ..
- Roscani R, Bitencourt D, Maia P, Ruas A. [Risk of exposure to heatstroke in sugarcane workers in São Paulo State, Brazil]. Cad Saude Publica. 2017;33:e00211415 pubmed publisher..The limits were exceeded throughout the work shift on 7% of the days for heavy activity and on 3% of the days for moderate activity. In addition, the areas with the highest risk of heatstroke coincide with predominant cane-growing. ..
- Gleason B, Foster S, Wilt G, Miles B, Lewis B, Cauthen K, et al. Geospatial analysis of household spread of Ebola virus in a quarantined village - Sierra Leone, 2014. Epidemiol Infect. 2017;145:2921-2929 pubmed publisher..Using GIS with GEE can reveal complex spatial-temporal risk factors, which can inform prioritization of response activities in future outbreaks...
- Jang C, Huang H. Applying spatial analysis techniques to assess the suitability of multipurpose uses of spring water in the Jiaosi Hot Spring Region, Taiwan. Environ Monit Assess. 2017;189:328 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, current land use is almost ideal in the Jiaosi Hot Spring Region according to the estimated spatial pattern of spring water temperatures. ..
- Ratovonirina N, Rakotosamimanana N, Razafimahatratra S, Raherison M, Refregier G, Sola C, et al. Assessment of tuberculosis spatial hotspot areas in Antananarivo, Madagascar, by combining spatial analysis and genotyping. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:562 pubmed publisher..Our main objective was to develop a TB spatial hotspot identification method by combining spatial analysis and TB genotyping method in Antananarivo...
- Neitlich P, Ver Hoef J, Berryman S, Mines A, Geiser L, Hasselbach L, et al. Trends in spatial patterns of heavy metal deposition on national park service lands along the Red Dog Mine haul road, Alaska, 2001-2006. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177936 pubmed publisher..Zn and Pb levels were slightly above arctic baseline values in southern CAKR reference areas. ..
- Pedersen U, Midzi N, Mduluza T, Soko W, Stensgaard A, Vennervald B, et al. Modelling spatial distribution of snails transmitting parasitic worms with importance to human and animal health and analysis of distributional changes in relation to climate. Geospat Health. 2014;8:335-43 pubmed..It is further demonstrated that the spatial distribution of suitable habitats changes with variation in the climatic conditions, and that this parallels that of the predicted climate change. ..
- Angus C, Holmes J, Maheswaran R, Green M, Meier P, Brennan A. Mapping Patterns and Trends in the Spatial Availability of Alcohol Using Low-Level Geographic Data: A Case Study in England 2003-2013. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14: pubmed publisher..There are significant variations in these trends by outlet type and deprivation level which may have important implications for health inequalities and public health policy. ..
- Hudson T, Klekamp B, Matthews S. Local Public Health Surveillance of Heroin-Related Morbidity and Mortality, Orange County, Florida, 2010-2014. Public Health Rep. 2017;132:80S-87S pubmed publisher..ESSENCE-FL identified 140% more heroin-related visits than did AHCA. Spatial analysis found geographic clustering of heroin-related morbidity and mortality...
- Santos M, Santos A, Silva P, Barreto A, Santos E, França A, et al. Spatial analysis of viral hepatitis and schistosomiasis coinfection in an endemic area in Northeastern Brazil. Rev Soc Bras Med Trop. 2017;50:383-387 pubmed publisher..We identified clusters of risk located in the central region. Spatial analysis allowed visualization of high-risk areas, leading to a definition of priority areas to be targeted for ..