Genomes and Genes
statistics as topic
Summary: Works about the science and art of collecting, summarizing, and analyzing data that are subject to random variation.
- Mangnus L, van Steenbergen H, Reijnierse M, Kälvesten J, van der Helm Van Mil A. Bone mineral density loss in clinically suspect arthralgia is associated with subclinical inflammation and progression to clinical arthritis. Scand J Rheumatol. 2017;46:364-368 pubmed publisher..1, 95% CI 1.1 to 1.2, and HR = 4.6, 95% CI 1.2 to 17.2, respectively). In CSA patients, severe BMD loss is associated with MRI-detectable subclinical inflammation and with progression to clinical arthritis. ..
- Mu F, Rich Edwards J, Rimm E, Spiegelman D, Forman J, Missmer S. Association Between Endometriosis and Hypercholesterolemia or Hypertension. Hypertension. 2017;70:59-65 pubmed publisher..Conversely, hypercholesterolemia and hypertension were prospectively associated with higher risk of laparoscopically confirmed endometriosis. ..
- Jung J, Lee B. Use of residue pairs in protein sequence-sequence and sequence-structure alignments. Protein Sci. 2000;9:1576-88 pubmed..However, when the sequence identity was below 30%, a similar structure could be found for more sequences using PASSC than using any other procedure. PASH and PSI-BLAST gave the next best results. ..
- Guo Z, Xie C, Yang J, Li J, Yang J, Zheng L. MtiBase: a database for decoding microRNA target sites located within CDS and 5'UTR regions from CLIP-Seq and expression profile datasets. Database (Oxford). 2015;2015: pubmed publisher..Our study provides a useful tool for functional studies of miRNAs in regulating physiology and pathology. Database URL: http://mtibase.sysu.edu.cn. ..
- Sherbourne C, Stewart A. The MOS social support survey. Soc Sci Med. 1991;32:705-14 pubmed..They are reliable (all Alphas greater than 0.91), and are fairly stable over time. Selected construct validity hypotheses were supported. ..
- Zhou J, Liu D, Sa Z, Huang W, Zou Y, Gu X. Effective estimation of the minimum number of amino acid residues required for functional divergence between duplicate genes. Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2017;113:126-138 pubmed publisher..Finally, we established a database, DIVERGE-D, as a public resource for the predicted NE sites between two paralogs in this study, which can be used as candidates for further biological engineering and experimentation. ..
- Dipla K, Triantafyllou A, Koletsos N, Papadopoulos S, Sachpekidis V, Vrabas I, et al. Impaired Muscle Oxygenation and Elevated Exercise Blood Pressure in Hypertensive Patients: Links With Vascular Stiffness. Hypertension. 2017;70:444-451 pubmed publisher..Dysregulations in muscle oxygen delivery/utilization and microvascular stiffness, in hypertensive patients, partially contribute to their exaggerated BP during exercise. ..
- Newcombe R. Two-sided confidence intervals for the single proportion: comparison of seven methods. Stat Med. 1998;17:857-72 pubmed..Intervals based on tail areas and the simpler score methods are recommended for use. In each case, methods are available that aim to align either the minimum or the mean coverage with the nominal 1 -alpha. ..
- Hall P, Nah G, Howard B, Lewis C, Allison M, Sarto G, et al. Reproductive Factors and Incidence of Heart Failure Hospitalization in the Women's Health Initiative. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:2517-2526 pubmed publisher..Whether exposure to endogenous sex hormones underlies this relationship should be investigated in future studies. ..
- Teh L, Teh L, Sumaila U. A Global Estimate of the Number of Coral Reef Fishers. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e65397 pubmed publisher..By quantifying the number of people who are employed as reef fishers, we provide decision-makers with an important input into planning for sustainable coral reef fisheries at the appropriate scale. ..
- Li Shuai Q, Yu Yan C, Hai Feng Z, Jin Xia L, Cui Hua L. Pre-S deletions of hepatitis B virus predict recurrence of hepatocellular carcinoma after curative resection. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8311 pubmed publisher..Our cohort showed that pre-S deletions at the time of resection could predict tumor recurrence in HCC patients after curative resection...
- Sun G, Zhang C, Feng M, Liu W, Xie H, Qin Q, et al. Methylation analysis of p16, SLIT2, SCARA5, and Runx3 genes in hepatocellular carcinoma. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8279 pubmed publisher..05).The methylation status of SCARA5 and Runx3 genes are abnormal in HCC patients, which may further be used as molecular markers for early auxiliary diagnosis of liver cancer. ..
- Ema R, Wakahara T, Hirayama K, Kawakami Y. Effect of knee alignment on the quadriceps femoris muscularity: Cross-sectional comparison of trained versus untrained individuals in both sexes. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183148 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that Q-angle is not a major determinant of the quadriceps femoris muscularity in either well-trained or untrained individuals. ..
- Genant H, Engelke K, Fuerst T, Gluer C, Grampp S, Harris S, et al. Noninvasive assessment of bone mineral and structure: state of the art. J Bone Miner Res. 1996;11:707-30 pubmed
- Binczyk F, Tarnawski R, Polanska J. Strategies for optimizing the phase correction algorithms in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance spectroscopy. Biomed Eng Online. 2015;14 Suppl 2:S5 pubmed publisher..5%. The proposed strategies for optimizing the phase correction algorithms significantly improve the accuracy of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance spectroscopy signal analysis. ..
- Freedman L. The use of a Kolmogorov--Smirnov type statistic in testing hypotheses about seasonal variation. J Epidemiol Community Health. 1979;33:223-8 pubmed..A simulation study shows it to be much more powerful than other non-parametric alternatives and nearly as powerful as Edwards's test in detecting sinusoidal departures. ..
- Arzamastsev D, Karpenko A, Kostiuchenko G. [Inflammation of the vascular wall and hyperhomocysteinemia in patients with atherosclerosis obliterans of lower limb arteries]. Angiol Sosud Khir. 2012;18:27-30 pubmed
- ..Collectively, these data represent the largest resource describing the abundance and variety of the human microbiome, while providing a framework for current and future studies. ..
- Serfling R, Sherman I, Houseworth W. Excess pneumonia-influenza mortality by age and sex in three major influenza A2 epidemics, United States, 1957-58, 1960 and 1963. Am J Epidemiol. 1967;86:433-41 pubmed
- Sterne J, Gavaghan D, Egger M. Publication and related bias in meta-analysis: power of statistical tests and prevalence in the literature. J Clin Epidemiol. 2000;53:1119-29 pubmed..When evidence of small-study effects is found, careful consideration should be given to possible explanations for these in the reporting of the meta-analysis. ..
- Boyages J, Delaney G, Taylor R. Predictors of local recurrence after treatment of ductal carcinoma in situ: a meta-analysis. Cancer. 1999;85:616-28 pubmed..Use of the summary statistics when discussing outcomes with patients may help the patient make treatment decisions. ..
- Reverter F, Vegas E, Oller J. Kernel-PCA data integration with enhanced interpretability. BMC Syst Biol. 2014;8 Suppl 2:S6 pubmed publisher..The integration of different datasets and the simultaneous representation of samples and variables together give us a better understanding of biological knowledge. ..
- Yang J, Zeng J, Goddard M, Wray N, Visscher P. Concepts, estimation and interpretation of SNP-based heritability. Nat Genet. 2017;49:1304-1310 pubmed publisher..We discuss issues that could influence the accuracy of , definitions, assumptions and interpretations of the models, and pitfalls of misusing the methods and misinterpreting the models and results. ..
- Oller A, Rastogi P, Morgenthaler S, Thilly W. A statistical model to estimate variance in long term-low dose mutation assays: testing of the model in a human lymphoblastoid mutation assay. Mutat Res. 1989;216:149-61 pubmed..This model is adequate to predict the variance of the mutant fraction and should be useful in experimental design and objective evaluation of long term-low dose mutation assays. ..
- Penn M, Mausner Fainberg K, Golan M, Karni A. High serum levels of BMP-2 correlate with BMP-4 and BMP-5 levels and induce reduced neuronal phenotype in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. J Neuroimmunol. 2017;310:120-128 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that BMP-2 sera levels may play a role in the failure of remyelination and neuro-regeneration in RR-MS. ..
- Mitchell C, McLanahan S, Schneper L, Garfinkel I, Brooks Gunn J, Notterman D. Father Loss and Child Telomere Length. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..This underscores the important role of fathers in the care and development of children and supplements evidence of the strong negative effects of parental incarceration. ..
- Bridel C, Hoffmann T, Meyer A, Durieux S, Koel Simmelink M, Orth M, et al. Glutaminyl cyclase activity correlates with levels of A? peptides and mediators of angiogenesis in cerebrospinal fluid of Alzheimer's disease patients. Alzheimers Res Ther. 2017;9:38 pubmed publisher..The addition of QC activity to core diagnostic CSF biomarkers may be of specific interest in clinical cases with discordant imaging and biochemical biomarker results. ..
- Whitlock E, Diaz Ramirez L, Glymour M, Boscardin W, Covinsky K, Smith A. Association Between Persistent Pain and Memory Decline and Dementia in a Longitudinal Cohort of Elders. JAMA Intern Med. 2017;177:1146-1153 pubmed publisher..55%-14.2%); after 10 years, this translates to an absolute 2.2% increase in dementia probability for those with persistent pain. Persistent pain was associated with accelerated memory decline and increased probability of dementia. ..
- Seubert J, Laukka E, Rizzuto D, Hummel T, Fratiglioni L, BÃ¤ckman L, et al. Prevalence and Correlates of Olfactory Dysfunction in Old Age: A Population-Based Study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2017;72:1072-1079 pubmed publisher..Demographic and genetic factors, but also prior and current health insults, are linked to OD in old age. Modulatory effects of behavioral factors highlight their value as possible prevention targets. ..
- Maude G, Hayes R, Serjeant G. The haematology of steady state homozygous sickle cell disease: interrelationships between haematological indices. Br J Haematol. 1987;66:549-58 pubmed..The third component weighted almost exclusively on MCHC and may relate to the degree of intracellular polymerization of HbS. These three components accounted for approximately 75% of the total variation in the haematological data. ..
- O Grady J, Alexander G, Hayllar K, Williams R. Early indicators of prognosis in fulminant hepatic failure. Gastroenterology. 1989;97:439-45 pubmed..The value of these indicators in determining outcome was tested retrospectively in a further 175 patients admitted during 1986-1987, leading to the construction of models for the selection of patients for liver transplantation. ..
- . Intersalt: an international study of electrolyte excretion and blood pressure. Results for 24 hour urinary sodium and potassium excretion. Intersalt Cooperative Research Group. BMJ. 1988;297:319-28 pubmed..The relation of sodium to potassium ratio to blood pressure followed a pattern similar to that of sodium. Body mass index and heavy alcohol intake had strong, significant independent relations with blood pressure in individual subjects. ..
- Wahid A, Khan D, Hussain I. Robust Adaptive Lasso method for parameter's estimation and variable selection in high-dimensional sparse models. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183518 pubmed publisher..We also discuss the model selection oracle property and the asymptotic normality of the RAL. Simulations findings and real data examples also demonstrate the better performance of the proposed penalized regression approach. ..
- Batinić B, Opacić G, Ignjatov T, Baldwin D. Comorbidity and Suicidality in Patients Diagnosed with Panic Disorder/Agoraphobia and Major Depression. Psychiatr Danub. 2017;29:186-194 pubmed..Patients with PD/A or MD show high rates of current comorbidity. The effect of depression on suicidality was significant, but a non-trivial impact was also mediated by obsessive-compulsive symptomatology. ..
- JEFFREYS H. An invariant form for the prior probability in estimation problems. Proc R Soc Lond A Math Phys Sci. 1946;186:453-61 pubmed
- Man K, Coghill D, Chan E, Lau W, Hollis C, Liddle E, et al. Association of Risk of Suicide Attempts With Methylphenidate Treatment. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017;74:1048-1055 pubmed publisher..Stimulants, such as methylphenidate hydrochloride, are the most common treatment for ADHD, but the association between their therapeutic use and suicide is unclear...
- Freire G, dos Santos J, Rolon P, Pinheiro G, Sampaio A. Peritonsillar abscess: epidemiology and relationship with climate variations. J Laryngol Otol. 2017;131:627-630 pubmed publisher..The findings corroborate the theory that peritonsillar abscess is not a direct complication of acute tonsillitis and may improve understanding of peritonsillar abscess aetiology. ..
- Gasser T, Bacher P, Möcks J. Transformations towards the normal distribution of broad band spectral parameters of the EEG. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol. 1982;53:119-24 pubmed..For relative power the transformation log(x/(1-x)) was excellent in all regards, whereas the best transformation for absolute power--log(x)--was not fully satisfactory for all bands. ..
- Viktorin A, Uher R, Kolevzon A, Reichenberg A, Levine S, Sandin S. Association of Antidepressant Medication Use During Pregnancy With Intellectual Disability in Offspring. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017;74:1031-1038 pubmed publisher..Maternal antidepressant medication use during pregnancy has previously been associated with adverse outcomes in offspring, but to our knowledge, the association with intellectual disability (ID) has not been investigated...
- Andersen L, Gogenur I, Torup H, Rosenberg J, Werner M. Assessment of Postoperative Analgesic Drug Efficacy: Method of Data Analysis Is Critical. Anesth Analg. 2017;125:1008-1013 pubmed publisher..The method combines two interdependent analgesic outcomes, lowers the risk of mass significance, and provides more accurate representation of the dynamic nature of postoperative pain and analgesic drug efficacy. ..
- Walters A, Rye D. Evidence continues to mount on the relationship of restless legs syndrome/ periodic limb movements in sleep to hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and stroke. Sleep. 2010;33:287 pubmed