Genomes and Genes
outcome assessment health care
Summary: Research aimed at assessing the quality and effectiveness of health care as measured by the attainment of a specified end result or outcome. Measures include parameters such as improved health, lowered morbidity or mortality, and improvement of abnormal states (such as elevated blood pressure).
- Pfeffer G, Majamaa K, Turnbull D, Thorburn D, Chinnery P. Treatment for mitochondrial disorders. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012;:CD004426 pubmed publisher..We suggest further research should identify novel agents to be tested in homogeneous study populations with clinically relevant primary endpoints. ..
- Larun L, Brurberg K, Odgaard Jensen J, Price J. Exercise therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;:CD003200 pubmed publisher..Randomised trials with low risk of bias are needed to investigate the type, duration and intensity of the most beneficial exercise intervention. ..
- Tyndall A, van Laar J. Stem cell transplantation and mesenchymal cells to treat autoimmune diseases. Presse Med. 2016;45:e159-69 pubmed publisher..The possible reasons for this apparent mismatch between expectation and clinical reality will be discussed. ..
- Moran L, Fraser L, Sundernathan T, Deussen A, Louise J, Yelland L, et al. The effect of an antenatal lifestyle intervention in overweight and obese women on circulating cardiometabolic and inflammatory biomarkers: secondary analyses from the LIMIT randomised trial. BMC Med. 2017;15:32 pubmed publisher..Australian and New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry ( ACTRN12607000161426 ; Date Registered 09/03/2007). ..
- Snow Lisy D, Yerkes E, Cheng E. Update on Urological Management of Spina Bifida from Prenatal Diagnosis to Adulthood. J Urol. 2015;194:288-96 pubmed publisher..Transition of urological care to adulthood remains a major avenue for improvement in disease management. ..
- Ding M, Lei J, Han H, Li W, Qu Y, Fu E, et al. SIRT1 protects against myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury via activating eNOS in diabetic rats. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2015;14:143 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of SIRT1 reduces diabetes-exacerbated MI/R injury and oxidative stress via activating eNOS in diabetic rats. The findings suggest SIRT1 may be a promising novel therapeutic target for diabetic cardiac complications. ..
- Visavadiya N, Keasey M, Razskazovskiy V, Banerjee K, Jia C, Lovins C, et al. Integrin-FAK signaling rapidly and potently promotes mitochondrial function through STAT3. Cell Commun Signal. 2016;14:32 pubmed..We furthermore show a new treatment strategy for cell survival using S727-STAT3 activators. ..
- Venkatesh P, Gogia V, Shah B, Gupta S, Sagar P, Garg S. Patterns of uveitis at the Apex Institute for Eye Care in India: Results from a prospectively enrolled patient data base (2011-2013). Int Ophthalmol. 2016;36:365-72 pubmed publisher..Multicentric, collaborative efforts are required to improve levels of clinical evidence and evolve consensus in establishing stringent guidelines for labelling uveitis as being of infectious etiology. ..
- Liu Y, Zhao P, Cheng M, Yu L, Cheng Z, Fan L, et al. AST to ALT ratio and arterial stiffness in non-fatty liver Japanese population:a secondary analysis based on a cross-sectional study. Lipids Health Dis. 2018;17:275 pubmed publisher..05. The relationship between AST/ALT and baPWV is non-linear. AST/ALT was positively correlated with baPWV when AST/ALT was less than 5.6. In addition, the trend was the opposite in subjects who consumed excessive amounts of alcohol. ..
- Maulik S, Wilson V, Seth S, Bhargava B, Dua P, Ramakrishnan S, et al. Clinical efficacy of water extract of stem bark of Terminalia arjuna (Roxb. ex DC.) Wight & Arn. in patients of chronic heart failure: a double-blind, randomized controlled trial. Phytomedicine. 2016;23:1211-9 pubmed publisher..Arjuna extract did not improve LVEF in CHF patients over 12 weeks, although there was improvement in functional capacity, antioxidant reserves and symptom-related QoL domains in some patients. ..
- Li S, Zhan S, Li S, Peng X, Hu J, Law H, et al. Laser-assisted subepithelial keratectomy (LASEK) versus photorefractive keratectomy (PRK) for correction of myopia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016;2:CD009799 pubmed publisher..Trial investigators should expand enrollment criteria to include participants with high myopia and should evaluate visual acuity, refraction, epithelial healing time, pain scores, and adverse events. ..
- Gormack A, Peek J, Derraik J, Gluckman P, Young N, Cutfield W. Many women undergoing fertility treatment make poor lifestyle choices that may affect treatment outcome. Hum Reprod. 2015;30:1617-24 pubmed publisher..G. received financial support from Abbott Nutrition Research & Development Asia-Pacific Center; J.C.P. is a shareholder of Fertility Associates; the other authors have no financial or non-financial conflicts of interest to disclose. ..
- Paternina Caicedo A, Miranda J, Bourjeily G, Levinson A, Duenas C, Bello Muñoz C, et al. Performance of the Obstetric Early Warning Score in critically ill patients for the prediction of maternal death. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017;216:58.e1-58.e8 pubmed publisher..The use of early warning scores in obstetrics may be a highly useful approach in the early identification of women at an increased risk of dying. ..
- Ranasinghe P, Galappaththy P, Constantine G, Jayawardena R, Weeratunga H, Premakumara S, et al. Cinnamomum zeylanicum (Ceylon cinnamon) as a potential pharmaceutical agent for type-2 diabetes mellitus: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2017;18:446 pubmed publisher..Sri Lanka Clinical Trials Registry (SLCTR), identifier: SLCTR/2017/010 ( http://slctr.lk/trials/714 ). Registered on 5 April 2017; study protocol version 3.1 21 March 2017. ..
- Ong B, Aziz Z. Efficacy of Cordyceps sinensis as an adjunctive treatment in kidney transplant patients: A systematic-review and meta-analysis. Complement Ther Med. 2017;30:84-92 pubmed publisher..Current evidence shows that cordyceps as an adjuvant to routine immunosuppressant therapy may benefit kidney transplant patient, however, better quality evidence is still required. ..
- Kolacinska A. How Can We Improve Education of Breast Surgeons Across Europe?. Chirurgia (Bucur). 2017;112:365-366 pubmed publisher..Applications for the European Examination in Breast Surgery (EBSQBS) continue to increase. ..
- David S, Lancaster T, Stead L, Evins A, Prochaska J. Opioid antagonists for smoking cessation. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;:CD003086 pubmed publisher..Although further trials might narrow the confidence intervals they are unlikely to be a good use of resources. ..
- Schenck C, Montplaisir J, Frauscher B, Hogl B, Gagnon J, Postuma R, et al. Rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder: devising controlled active treatment studies for symptomatic and neuroprotective therapy--a consensus statement from the International Rapid Eye Movement Sleep Behavior Disorder Study Group. Sleep Med. 2013;14:795-806 pubmed publisher
- Penninga L, Penninga E, Møller C, Iversen M, Steinbruchel D, Gluud C. Tacrolimus versus cyclosporin as primary immunosuppression for lung transplant recipients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;:CD008817 pubmed publisher..Hence, more RCTs are needed to assess the results of the present review. Such studies ought to be conducted with low risks of systematic errors (bias) and of random errors (play of chance). ..
- Liu X, Zhang N, Chen R, Zhao J, Yu P. Efficacy and safety of sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitors in type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials for 1 to 2years. J Diabetes Complications. 2015;29:1295-303 pubmed publisher..967 to 1.679; I(2)=0.0%). SGLT2 inhibitors have favorable effects on combating hyperglycemia for mid long-term; likewise, they have additional benefits beyond glycemic control such as reducing body weight and lowering blood pressure. ..