controlled clinical trials as topic
Summary: Works about clinical trials involving one or more test treatments, at least one control treatment, specified outcome measures for evaluating the studied intervention, and a bias-free method for assigning patients to the test treatment. The treatment may be drugs, devices, or procedures studied for diagnostic, therapeutic, or prophylactic effectiveness. Control measures include placebos, active medicines, no-treatment, dosage forms and regimens, historical comparisons, etc. When randomization using mathematical techniques, such as the use of a random numbers table, is employed to assign patients to test or control treatments, the trials are characterized as RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED TRIALS AS TOPIC.
- Hlavin G, Hampson L, Koenig F. Many-to-one comparisons after safety selection in multi-arm clinical trials. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180131 pubmed publisher..The operating characteristics of the proposed procedures are assessed via simulation. ..
- Perry C, Wagstaff A. Famciclovir. A review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic efficacy in herpesvirus infections. Drugs. 1995;50:396-415 pubmed
- Shorvon S. Safety of topiramate: adverse events and relationships to dosing. Epilepsia. 1996;37 Suppl 2:S18-S22 pubmed..No clinically significant treatment-related abnormalities were observed in clinical laboratory parameters or in neurologic, electrocardiographic, ophthalmologic, or audiologic tests. ..
- Dowell S, Schwartz B, Phillips W. Appropriate use of antibiotics for URIs in children: Part II. Cough, pharyngitis and the common cold. The Pediatric URI Consensus Team. Am Fam Physician. 1998;58:1335-42, 1345 pubmed
- Bocchi E, Marcondes Braga F, Bacal F, Ferraz A, Albuquerque D, Rodrigues D, et al. [Updating of the Brazilian guideline for chronic heart failure - 2012]. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2012;98:1-33 pubmed
- Karlawish J, Whitehouse P. Is the placebo control obsolete in a world after donepezil and vitamin E?. Arch Neurol. 1998;55:1420-4 pubmed..Community dialogue should be the norm for the design and review of AD clinical trials. We conclude with suggestions to foster this dialogue and issues that should be addressed. ..
- Yurdaydin C, Idilman R. Therapy of Delta Hepatitis. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2015;5: pubmed publisher..New treatment strategies targeting different steps of the HDV life cycle, such as hepatocyte entry inhibitors or prenylation inhibitors, are emerging and provide hope for the future. ..
- Ruan S, Lin H, Huang C, Kuo P, Wu H, Yu C. Exploring the heterogeneity of effects of corticosteroids on acute respiratory distress syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Crit Care. 2014;18:R63 pubmed publisher..Current data do not support routine use of corticosteroids in ARDS. More clinical trials are needed to specify the favorable and unfavorable subgroups for corticosteroid therapy. ..
- Hosein F, Bobrovitz N, Berthelot S, Zygun D, Ghali W, Stelfox H. A systematic review of tools for predicting severe adverse events following patient discharge from intensive care units. Crit Care. 2013;17:R102 pubmed publisher..Although risk stratification tools may help clinician decision-making, further evaluation of the existing tools' effects on care is required prior to clinical implementation. ..
- Fox W, Ellard G, Mitchison D. Studies on the treatment of tuberculosis undertaken by the British Medical Research Council tuberculosis units, 1946-1986, with relevant subsequent publications. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 1999;3:S231-79 pubmed
- Hemilä H. Vitamin C supplementation and common cold symptoms: factors affecting the magnitude of the benefit. Med Hypotheses. 1999;52:171-8 pubmed..Since few trials have examined the effects of therapeutic supplementation and their results have been variable, further therapeutic trials are required to examine the role of vitamin C in the treatment of colds. ..
- Masiye F, Mayosi B, de Vries J. "I passed the test!" Evidence of diagnostic misconception in the recruitment of population controls for an H3Africa genomic study in Cape Town, South Africa. BMC Med Ethics. 2017;18:12 pubmed publisher..In this study, the main challenges were diagnostic misconception among RHDGen controls and therapeutic misconception among RHDGen cases. ..
- Cuijpers P. Bibliotherapy in unipolar depression: a meta-analysis. J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry. 1997;28:139-47 pubmed..No traditional relationship between therapist and patient is developed. In this article the relevance of bibliotherapy for the clinical practice is presented and a meta-analysis of the research into bibliotherapy is described. ..
- Dinicolantonio J, O Keefe J. The History of the Salt Wars. Am J Med. 2017;130:1011-1014 pubmed publisher..The overall evidence in the first half of the 1900s suggests that a low-salt diet was not a reasonable strategy for treating hypertension. ..
- Keefe R, Davis V, Harvey P, Atkins A, Haig G, Hagino O, et al. Placebo Response and Practice Effects in Schizophrenia Cognition Trials. JAMA Psychiatry. 2017;74:807-814 pubmed publisher..Placebo-controlled trials for cognitive impairment associated with schizophrenia are at risk for these practice effects, which can be difficult to distinguish from placebo effects...