Genomes and Genes
Summary: Method for obtaining information through verbal responses, written or oral, from subjects.
- Brice J, Gregg D, Sawyer D, Cyr J. Survey of Hospital Employees' Personal Preparedness and Willingness to Work Following a Disaster. South Med J. 2017;110:516-522 pubmed publisher..Hospitals should promote personal disaster preparedness for staff and explore staffing models with an understanding of reduced staff availability during disasters. ..
- Erku D, Mersha A. Involvement of community pharmacists in public health priorities: A multi-center descriptive survey in Ethiopia. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180943 pubmed publisher..In order to better integrate community pharmacies into future public health programs and optimize the contribution of community pharmacy professionals, interventions should focus on overcoming the identified barriers. ..
- Selem S, Castro M, Cesar C, Marchioni D, Fisberg R. Associations between dietary patterns and self-reported hypertension among Brazilian adults: a cross-sectional population-based study. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2014;114:1216-22 pubmed publisher..These results suggest the existence of a target audience for planning and executing public policies of food and nutrition to prevent and control hypertension. ..
- Burgard S, Castiglione D, Lin K, Nobre A, Aquino E, Pereira A, et al. Differential reporting of discriminatory experiences in Brazil and the United States. Cad Saude Publica. 2017;33Suppl 1:e00110516 pubmed publisher..These findings have implications for social and public health surveillance and intervention to address the harmful consequences of discrimination. ..
- Adjei N, Brand T, Zeeb H. Gender inequality in self-reported health among the elderly in contemporary welfare countries: A cross-country analysis of time use activities, socioeconomic positions and family characteristics. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184676 pubmed publisher..The results, therefore, demonstrate the need of using an integrated framework of social factors in analyzing and explaining the gender and cross-national differences in the health of the elderly population. ..
- Dittner A, Rimes K, Russell A, Chalder T. Protocol for a proof of concept randomized controlled trial of cognitive-behavioural therapy for adult ADHD as a supplement to treatment as usual, compared with treatment as usual alone. BMC Psychiatry. 2014;14:248 pubmed publisher..Current Controlled Trials ISRCTN03732556, assigned 04/11/2010. ..
- Zheng Y, Jit M, Wu J, Yang J, Leung K, Liao Q, et al. Economic costs and health-related quality of life for hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) patients in China. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184266 pubmed publisher..Hand, foot and mouth disease (HFMD) is a common illness in China that mainly affects infants and children. The objective of this study is to assess the economic cost and health-related quality of life associated with HFMD in China...
- Wallace J, Covassin T, Nogle S, Gould D, Kovan J. Knowledge of Concussion and Reporting Behaviors in High School Athletes With or Without Access to an Athletic Trainer. J Athl Train. 2017;52:228-235 pubmed publisher..High school athletes with access to an AT had more concussion knowledge, but they did not report suspected concussions to an authority figure more frequently than athletes without access to an AT. ..
- Herghelegiu A, Moser A, Prada G, Born S, Wilhelm M, Stuck A. Effects of health risk assessment and counselling on physical activity in older people: A pragmatic randomised trial. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181371 pubmed publisher..International Standard Randomized Controlled Trial Number: ISRCTN11166046. ..
- Jordan C, Korley F, Stolbach A. Self-reported cocaine use is not associated with elevations in high-sensitivity troponin I. Clin Toxicol (Phila). 2017;55:332-337 pubmed publisher..In this first investigation of hsTn in patients with self-reported recent cocaine use, we have determined that hsTn does not lead to an increase in the prevalence of troponin elevation in cocaine users. ..
- Carubbi F, Cipriani P, Marrelli A, Benedetto P, Ruscitti P, Berardicurti O, et al. Efficacy and safety of rituximab treatment in early primary Sjögren's syndrome: a prospective, multi-center, follow-up study. Arthritis Res Ther. 2013;15:R172 pubmed publisher..We showed that RTX is a safe and effective agent to be employed in pSS patients with systemic, extra-glandular involvement. Furthermore, our data on pSS-MSGs provide additional biological basis to employ RTX in this disease. ..
- Murdoch Kinch C, Duff R, Ramaswamy V, Ester T, Sponseller S, Seeley J. Climate Study of the Learning Environment for Faculty, Staff, and Students at a U.S. Dental School: Foundation for Culture Change. J Dent Educ. 2017;81:1153-1163 pubmed publisher..In this study, a utilization-focused PPE process using mixed methods was effective for evaluating the dental school's climate for diversity and inclusion, as well as the learning environment for faculty, staff, and students...
- . Adult participation in aerobic and muscle-strengthening physical activities--United States, 2011. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013;62:326-30 pubmed
- Patel D, Myers J, Lenherr S. How to Measure Quality-of-Life Concerns in Patients with Neurogenic Lower Urinary Tract Dysfunction. Urol Clin North Am. 2017;44:345-353 pubmed publisher..Emphasizing patient-reported outcomes in neurogenic bladder research will guide clinicians and other stakeholders to improve quality of life in this patient population. ..
- Okonta P, Rossouw T. Prevalence of scientific misconduct among a group of researchers in Nigeria. Dev World Bioeth. 2013;13:149-57 pubmed publisher..Penalties against acts of scientific misconduct should be enforced at institutional and national levels. ..
- Tikanmäki M, Kaseva N, Tammelin T, Sipola Leppänen M, Matinolli H, Eriksson J, et al. Leisure Time Physical Activity in Young Adults Born Preterm. J Pediatr. 2017;189:135-142.e2 pubmed publisher..Low physical activity is a risk factor for several noncommunicable diseases and amenable to prevention. ..
- Lofters A, Schuler A, Slater M, Baxter N, Persaud N, Pinto A, et al. Using self-reported data on the social determinants of health in primary care to identify cancer screening disparities: opportunities and challenges. BMC Fam Pract. 2017;18:31 pubmed publisher..Future work in this area should target the income disparity in cancer screening and simultaneously explore how best to collect measures of poverty. ..
- Iordens G, den Hartog D, Tuinebreijer W, Eygendaal D, Schep N, Verhofstad M, et al. Minimal important change and other measurement properties of the Oxford Elbow Score and the Quick Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder, and Hand in patients with a simple elbow dislocation; validation study alongside the multicenter FuncSiE trial. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182557 pubmed publisher..7 and 25.0, respectively. OES and Quick-DASH are reliable, valid, and responsive instruments for evaluating elbow-related quality of life. The anchor-based MIC was 8.2 points for OES and 11.7 for Quick-DASH. ..
- Jones C, Paulozzi L, Mack K. Sources of prescription opioid pain relievers by frequency of past-year nonmedical use United States, 2008-2011. JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174:802-3 pubmed
- Pellowski J, Price D, Allen A, Eaton L, Kalichman S. The differences between medical trust and mistrust and their respective influences on medication beliefs and ART adherence among African-Americans living with HIV. Psychol Health. 2017;32:1127-1139 pubmed publisher..Trust and mistrust are not simply opposites of one another. These findings provide evidence for the complexity of understanding the relationship between health care trust, mistrust and patient-related health beliefs and behaviours. ..
- Davids J, Scully R, Melnitchouk N. Impact of Procedural Training on Pregnancy Outcomes and Career Satisfaction in Female Postgraduate Medical Trainees in the United States. J Am Coll Surg. 2017;225:411-418.e2 pubmed publisher..These findings illustrate the need for adequate support for trainee mothers, particularly in procedural specialties. ..
- Quittner A, Marciel K, SALATHE M, O Donnell A, Gotfried M, Ilowite J, et al. A preliminary quality of life questionnaire-bronchiectasis: a patient-reported outcome measure for bronchiectasis. Chest. 2014;146:437-448 pubmed publisher..A final psychometric validation study is needed and is forthcoming. ClinicalTrials.gov; No.: NCT00805025; URL: www.clinicaltrials.gov. ..
- Hamama Raz Y, Palgi Y, Leshem E, Ben Ezra M, Lavenda O. Typhoon survivors' subjective wellbeing-A different view of responses to natural disaster. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184327 pubmed publisher..The results imply the important role individual's resources (i.e. objects, personal characteristics, conditions, and energies) might play in promoting subjective well-being, following natural disaster. ..
- Hajek A, Bock J, Konig H. Association of general psychological factors with frequent attendance in primary care: a population-based cross-sectional observational study. BMC Fam Pract. 2017;18:48 pubmed publisher..As frequent GP visits produce high health care costs and are potentially associated with increased referrals and use of secondary health care services, this knowledge might help to address these individuals with high needs. ..
- López López D, Vilar Fernandez J, Calvo Lobo C, Losa Iglesias M, Rodríguez Sanz D, Becerro de Bengoa Vallejo R. Evaluation of Depression in Subacute Low Back Pain: A Case Control Study. Pain Physician. 2017;20:E499-E505 pubmed..The study was not a randomized controlled trial. Although primary outcome data were self-reported, the assessor was not blinded. People with SLBP also have a significant increase in depression based on BDI scores, regardless of gender. ..
- Carter A, de Pokomandy A, Loutfy M, Ding E, Sereda P, Webster K, et al. Validating a self-report measure of HIV viral suppression: an analysis of linked questionnaire and clinical data from the Canadian HIV Women's Sexual and Reproductive Health Cohort Study. BMC Res Notes. 2017;10:138 pubmed publisher..This measure can be used in research settings without laboratory data in regions with high rates of VL testing and suppression. ..
- Harding R, Simms V, Penfold S, Downing J, Namisango E, Powell R, et al. Quality of life and wellbeing among HIV outpatients in East Africa: a multicentre observational study. BMC Infect Dis. 2014;14:613 pubmed publisher..Assessment and management of self-reported wellbeing must form part of HIV care and treatment services to ensure maximum benefit from ART investment. ..
- St Clair P, Gaudette É, Zhao H, Tysinger B, Seyedin R, Goldman D. Using Self-reports or Claims to Assess Disease Prevalence: It's Complicated. Med Care. 2017;55:782-788 pubmed publisher..Claims and self-reports both have strengths and weaknesses, which researchers need to consider when interpreting estimates of prevalence from these 2 sources. ..
- Brigham E, Matsui E, Appel L, Bull D, Curtin Brosnan J, Zhai S, et al. A pilot feeding study for adults with asthma: The healthy eating better breathing trial. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180068 pubmed publisher..Larger trials are needed to definitively assess the potential benefits of dietary interventions on pulmonary symptoms and function in patients with asthma. ..
- Rosen D, McCall J, Primack B. Telehealth Protocol to Prevent Readmission Among High-Risk Patients With Congestive Heart Failure. Am J Med. 2017;130:1326-1330 pubmed publisher..11). Adherence to this telehealth protocol was excellent and consistent, even among high-risk patients. Future research should test the protocol using a more rigorous randomized design. ..
- Jokela M. Are neighborhood health associations causal? A 10-year prospective cohort study with repeated measurements. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;180:776-84 pubmed publisher..These findings provide little support for social causation in neighborhood health associations and suggest that correlations between neighborhoods and health may develop via selective residential mobility. ..
- Jang Y, Yoon H, Park N, Chiriboga D. Oral Health and Dental Care in Older Asian Americans in Central Texas. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017;65:1554-1558 pubmed publisher..The odds of not using preventive dental care services were 6.4 times as great in those without dental health insurance. The overall findings call attention to efforts to promote oral health and dental care in older Asian Americans. ..
- Kazmi S, Krog A, Berge S, Sundhagen J, Sahba M, Falk R. Patient-perceived health-related quality of life before and after laparoscopic aortobifemoral bypass. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2017;13:169-176 pubmed publisher..LABFB leads to substantial and statistically significant improvement in the patients' HRQL, when examined with SF-36. These results need to be replicated by a randomized clinical trial. ..
- Winters Stone K, Horak F, Jacobs P, Trubowitz P, Dieckmann N, Stoyles S, et al. Falls, Functioning, and Disability Among Women With Persistent Symptoms of Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy. J Clin Oncol. 2017;35:2604-2612 pubmed publisher..CIPN must be assessed earlier in the clinical pathway, and strategies to limit symptom progression and to improve function must be included in clinical and survivorship care plans. ..
- Resnik L, Fantini C, Latlief G, Phillips S, Sasson N, Sepulveda E. Use of the DEKA Arm for amputees with brachial plexus injury: A case series. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178642 pubmed publisher..Use of both the HC and SC DEKA Arm for patients with TH amputation and brachial plexus injury was reported. Lessons learned may be instructive to clinicians considering prosthetic choices for future cases. ..
- Tran N, van Berkel S, van IJzendoorn M, Alink L. The association between child maltreatment and emotional, cognitive, and physical health functioning in Vietnam. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:332 pubmed publisher..Efficient and low-cost interventions on child maltreatment should be developed and conducted in Vietnam as well as other countries with similar contexts. ..
- Porter E, Chambless D. Social Anxiety and Social Support in Romantic Relationships. Behav Ther. 2017;48:335-348 pubmed publisher..Taken together, results suggest that social anxiety is associated with difficulties even in the context of established romantic relationships. Clinical implications are discussed. ..
- Bureau G, Lévesque B, Dubé M, Gauvin D, Lepine F, Laliberté D. Indoor swimming pool environments and self-reported irritative and respiratory symptoms among lifeguards. Int J Environ Health Res. 2017;27:306-322 pubmed publisher..74, IC95 % = 1.39-10.02) of suffering from asthma attack(s) than non-exposed asthmatic subjects. Exposure to indoor swimming pool environments is related to respiratory symptoms among lifeguards. ..
- Adjadj L, SidAhmed Mezi M, Mondoloni M, Meningaud J, Hersant B. Assessment of the Efficacy of Cryolipolysis on Saddlebags: A Prospective Study of 53 Patients. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140:50-57 pubmed publisher..Cryolipolysis is a good alternative to liposuction in women with moderate, well-localized saddlebags. Therapeutic, IV. ..
- Loas G, Verrier A, Monestes J. Relationship between anticipatory, consummatory anhedonia and disorganization in schizotypy. BMC Psychiatry. 2014;14:211 pubmed publisher..The results suggested firstly that ambivalence was not specific of disorganized schizotypy and secondly that anticipatory anhedonia was not specific of negative schizotypy. ..
- Zhang X, Holt J, Lu H, Wheaton A, Ford E, Greenlund K, et al. Multilevel regression and poststratification for small-area estimation of population health outcomes: a case study of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease prevalence using the behavioral risk factor surveillance system. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;179:1025-33 pubmed publisher