public health surveillance
Summary: The ongoing, systematic collection, analysis, and interpretation of health-related data with the purpose of preventing or controlling disease or injury, or of identifying unusual events of public health importance, followed by the dissemination and use of information for public health action. (From Am J Prev Med 2011;41(6):636)
- Poy A, van den Ent M, Sosler S, Hinman A, Brown S, Sodha S, et al. Monitoring Results in Routine Immunization: Development of Routine Immunization Dashboard in Selected African Countries in the Context of the Polio Eradication Endgame Strategic Plan. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S226-S236 pubmed publisher..When measuring progress toward improving immunization systems, it is helpful to use a comprehensive approach that allows for measuring multiple dimensions of the system. ..
- Nuti S, Wang Y, Masoudi F, Nunez Smith M, Normand S, Murugiah K, et al. Quality of Care in the United States Territories, 1999-2012. Med Care. 2017;55:886-892 pubmed publisher..Improvement of health care and policies in the territories is critical to ensure health equity for all Americans. ..
- Frimpong J, Park M, Amo Addae M, Adewuyi P, Nagbe T. Detecting, reporting, and analysis of priority diseases for routine public health surveillance in Liberia. Pan Afr Med J. 2017;27:9 pubmed publisherAn essential component of a public health surveillance system is its ability to detect priority diseases which fall within the mandate of public health officials at all levels...
- Frimpong J, Amo Addae M, Adewuyi P, Hall C, Park M, Nagbe T. Detecting, reporting, and analysis of priority diseases for routine public health surveillance in Liberia. Pan Afr Med J. 2017;27:10 pubmed publisher..It is suited to enforce theoretical lectures in surveillance data quality and auditing. The target group is public health trainees, who should be able to complete this exercise in approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes. ..
- Nhantumbo A, Weldegebriel G, Katsande R, de Gouveia L, Comé C, Cuco A, et al. Surveillance of impact of PCV-10 vaccine on pneumococcal meningitis in Mozambique, 2013 - 2015. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177746 pubmed publisher..This decline was accompanied by substantial changes in the pattern of circulating pneumococcal serotypes. ..
- VraukÃ³ K, JancsÃ³ Z, Kalabay L, LukÃ¡cs A, MarÃ¡czi G, Mester L, et al. An appraisal: how notifiable infectious diseases are reported by Hungarian family physicians. BMC Infect Dis. 2018;18:45 pubmed publisher..There is a need to develope the electronic infrastructure of primary care. More and regular control is also expected by the health care authorities, beside the synthesis of professional and governmental expectations and regulations. ..
- Izawa K, Shibata A, Ishii K, Miyawaki R, Oka K. Associations of low-intensity light physical activity with physical performance in community-dwelling elderly Japanese: A cross-sectional study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178654 pubmed publisher..The present study findings provide novel epidemiological evidence for the potential benefits of HLPA in women and also reinforce the potential benefits of MPA in both sexes, which is the mainstay of public health recommendations. ..
- Walter J, Noll I, Feig M, Weiss B, Claus H, Werner G, et al. Decline in the proportion of methicillin resistance among Staphylococcus aureus isolates from non-invasive samples and in outpatient settings, and changes in the co-resistance profiles: an analysis of data collected within the Antimicrobial Resistanc. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:169 pubmed publisher..This analysis indicates that the incidence of MRSA infections declined in a variety of settings in Germany between 2010 and 2015 and that the co-resistance profiles of MRSA isolates changed markedly. ..
- Bédubourg G, Le Strat Y. Evaluation and comparison of statistical methods for early temporal detection of outbreaks: A simulation-based study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181227 pubmed publisher..5% to 68.4%. Multivariate Poisson regression models showed that performance measures were strongly influenced by the characteristics of time series. Past or current outbreak size and duration strongly influenced detection performances. ..
- Sofianopoulou E, Pless Mulloli T, Rushton S, Diggle P. Modeling Seasonal and Spatiotemporal Variation: The Example of Respiratory Prescribing. Am J Epidemiol. 2017;186:101-108 pubmed publisher..The diagnostic procedures indicated that there was no need to model any remaining correlation explicitly. ..
- Buckingham Jeffery E, Morbey R, House T, Elliot A, Harcourt S, Smith G. Correcting for day of the week and public holiday effects: improving a national daily syndromic surveillance service for detecting public health threats. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:477 pubmed publisherAs service provision and patient behaviour varies by day, healthcare data used for public health surveillance can exhibit large day of the week effects. These regular effects are further complicated by the impact of public holidays...
- Li S, Li S, Wang X, Kang M, Liu L, Li H, et al. Distribution and associations of intraocular pressure in 7- and 12-year-old Chinese children: The Anyang Childhood Eye Study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181922 pubmed publisher..Higher body mass index, younger age at commencement of reading and being born of a caesarean section was also associated with higher IOP in adolescence. ..
- Modig K, Berglund A, Talbäck M, Ljung R, Ahlbom A. Estimating incidence and prevalence from population registers: example from myocardial infarction. Scand J Public Health. 2017;45:5-13 pubmed publisher..Different measures of disease occurrence contribute with different aspects of the disease panorama and a joint interpretation contributes to a thorough understanding of the disease development in a population. ..
- Cohen C, Moyes J, Tempia S, Groom M, Walaza S, Pretorius M, et al. Severe influenza-associated respiratory infection in high HIV prevalence setting, South Africa, 2009-2011. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:1766-74 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that HIV-infected persons are at greater risk for severe illnesses related to influenza and thus should be prioritized for influenza vaccination. ..
- Robinson T, Scheftel J, Smith K. Raw milk consumption among patients with non-outbreak-related enteric infections, Minnesota, USA, 2001-2010. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:38-44 pubmed publisher..Raw milk consumers, potential consumers, and policy makers who might consider relaxing regulations regarding raw milk sales should be educated regarding illnesses associated with raw milk consumption. ..
- Papapanou P. The prevalence of periodontitis in the US: forget what you were told. J Dent Res. 2012;91:907-8 pubmed
- Gould D, Walker D, Yoon P. The Evolution of BioSense: Lessons Learned and Future Directions. Public Health Rep. 2017;132:7S-11S pubmed publisherThe BioSense program was launched in 2003 with the aim of establishing a nationwide integrated public health surveillance system for early detection and assessment of potential bioterrorism-related illness...
- Chea N, Bulens S, Kongphet Tran T, Lynfield R, Shaw K, Vagnone P, et al. Improved Phenotype-Based Definition for Identifying Carbapenemase Producers among Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21:1611-6 pubmed publisher..This definition should be considered for use in carbapenemase-producing CRE surveillance and prevention. ..
- Ke C, Lu J, Wu J, Guan D, Zou L, Song T, et al. Circulation of reassortant influenza A(H7N9) viruses in poultry and humans, Guangdong Province, China, 2013. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:2034-40 pubmed publisher..Co-circulation of multiple avian influenza viruses that can infect humans highlights the need for increased surveillance of poultry and potential environmental sources. ..
- Barroso D, Castiñeiras T, Freitas F, Marsh J, Krauland M, Tulenko M, et al. Three outbreak-causing Neisseria meningitidis serogroup C clones, Brazil(1.). Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:1847-50 pubmed publisher..The isolates were assigned to 3 clonal complexes (cc): cc11, cc32, and cc103. These hyperinvasive disease lineages were associated with endemic disease, outbreaks, and high case-fatality rates. ..
- Huong V, Hoa N, Horby P, Bryant J, Van Kinh N, Toan T, et al. Raw pig blood consumption and potential risk for Streptococcus suis infection, Vietnam. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1895-8 pubmed publisher..Factors associated with consumption included rural residency, age, sex, occupation, income, and marital status. We identified risk groups and practices and perceptions that should be targeted by communication programs. ..
- Byass P. The global burden of liver disease: a challenge for methods and for public health. BMC Med. 2014;12:159 pubmed publisher..But more complete civil registration globally is needed to fully understand the burden of liver disease.Please see related article: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/12/145/abstract. ..
- Ho Y, Wang P, Lu M, Tseng S, Yang C, Yan Y. Associations of mid-pregnancy HbA1c with gestational diabetes and risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes in high-risk Taiwanese women. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177563 pubmed publisher..The current study comprised a single-center prospective study; thus, additional, randomized control design studies are required. ..
- van Sighem A, Pharris A, Quinten C, Noori T, Amato Gauci A, The Ecdc Hiv Aids Surveillance And Dublin Declaration Monitoring Networks -. Reduction in undiagnosed HIV infection in the European Union/European Economic Area, 2012 to 2016. Euro Surveill. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..9 years in 2016, with regional variation. Despite evidence of a decline in the number of people living with undiagnosed HIV in the EU/EEA, many remain undiagnosed, including 33% with more advanced HIV infection (CD4?<?350 cells/mm3)...
- Hurtado Villa P, Puerto A, Victoria S, Gracia G, Guasmayán L, Arce P, et al. Raised Frequency of Microcephaly Related to Zika Virus Infection in Two Birth Defects Surveillance Systems in Bogotá and Cali, Colombia. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2017;36:1017-1019 pubmed publisher..The occurrence of microcephaly appears to have increased nearly 4-fold in 2 large cities in Colombia, concurrently with the reported Zika virus epidemic in the country. ..
- Carmo L, Schüpbach Regula G, Müntener C, Chevance A, Moulin G, Magouras I. Approaches for quantifying antimicrobial consumption per animal species based on national sales data: a Swiss example, 2006 to 2013. Euro Surveill. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..These methods represent a valuable tool for improving the monitoring systems of veterinary antimicrobial consumption across Europe...
- Peters T, Bertrand S, Björkman J, Brandal L, Brown D, Erdősi T, et al. Multi-laboratory validation study of multilocus variable-number tandem repeat analysis (MLVA) for Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis, 2015. Euro Surveill. 2017;22: pubmed publisher..However, differences in assigned MLVA profiles remain between well-established protocols and should be taken into account when exchanging data. ..
- Diop O, Kew O, de Gourville E, Pallansch M. The Global Polio Laboratory Network as a Platform for the Viral Vaccine-Preventable and Emerging Diseases Laboratory Networks. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S299-S307 pubmed publisher..Leveraging lessons learned during past 27 years, the authors discuss options for transitioning GPLN assets to support control of other viral vaccine-preventable, emerging, and reemerging diseases. ..
- Fan M, Huang B, Wang A, Deng L, Wu D, Lu X, et al. Human influenza A(H7N9) virus infection associated with poultry farm, Northeastern China. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:1902-5 pubmed publisher..This case was associated with a poultry farm rather than a live bird market, which may point to a new focus for public health surveillance and interventions in this evolving outbreak.
- Deblina Datta S, Tangermann R, Reef S, William Schluter W, Adams A. National, Regional and Global Certification Bodies for Polio Eradication: A Framework for Verifying Measles Elimination. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S351-S354 pubmed publisher..These highly visible bodies provide a framework to be replicated to independently verify measles and rubella elimination in the regions and globally. ..
- Raffe S, Curtis H, Tookey P, Peters H, Freedman A, Gilleece Y. UK national clinical audit: management of pregnancies in women with HIV. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:158 pubmed publisher..Pregnant women in the UK are managed largely in accordance with BHIVA guidelines. Improvements are needed to ensure timely referral and ART initiation to ensure the best possible outcomes. ..
- Cowie G, Cowie B, Fielding J. Influenza testing trends in sentinel surveillance general practices in Victoria 2007 to 2014. Commun Dis Intell Q Rep. 2017;41:E4-E9 pubmed..There was no evidence for temporal sampling bias in these data despite testing not being performed on a systematic basis. This sampling regimen could also be considered in other similar surveillance systems. ..
- Bahri P, Fogd J, Morales D, Kurz X. Application of real-time global media monitoring and 'derived questions' for enhancing communication by regulatory bodies: the case of human papillomavirus vaccines. BMC Med. 2017;15:91 pubmed publisher..It is suggested that media monitoring could form part of regular surveillance for medicines of high public interest. Future work is recommended to develop efficient monitoring strategies for that purpose. ..
- Rosewell A, Ropa B, Randall H, Dagina R, Hurim S, Bieb S, et al. Mobile phone-based syndromic surveillance system, Papua New Guinea. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:1811-8 pubmed publisher..Feedback and provincial involvement require improvement. Use of mobile phone technology might improve the timeliness and efficiency of public health surveillance.
- Vandenbroucke J, Pearce N. Point: incident exposures, prevalent exposures, and causal inference: does limiting studies to persons who are followed from first exposure onward damage epidemiology?. Am J Epidemiol. 2015;182:826-33 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this paper is to restore the balance between the emphasis on first exposure cohorts and the richness of epidemiologic information obtained when studying prevalent exposures. ..
- Granich R, Gupta S, Hall I, Aberle Grasse J, Hader S, Mermin J. Status and methodology of publicly available national HIV care continua and 90-90-90 targets: A systematic review. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002253 pubmed publisher..A standardized monitoring and evaluation approach could improve the use of scarce resources to achieve 90-90-90 through improved transparency, accountability, and efficiency. ..
- Lim L, McStea M, Chung W, Nor Azmi N, Abdul Aziz S, Alwi S, et al. Prevalence, risk factors and health outcomes associated with polypharmacy among urban community-dwelling older adults in multi-ethnic Malaysia. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0173466 pubmed publisher..Medication reviews are warranted to reduce significant polypharmacy related issues in the older population. ..
- Tohme R, Francois J, Wannemuehler K, Iyengar P, Dismer A, Adrien P, et al. Oral Cholera Vaccine Coverage, Barriers to Vaccination, and Adverse Events following Vaccination, Haiti, 2013. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21:984-91 pubmed publisher..Future campaigns should be tailored to reach adults who are not available during daytime hours. ..
- Moxon T, Reed P, Jelleyman T, Anderson P, Leversha A, Jackson C, et al. Is a rheumatic fever register the best surveillance tool to evaluate rheumatic fever control in the Auckland region?. N Z Med J. 2017;130:48-62 pubmed..This was significantly more accurate than medical officer of health notification and hospitalisation data. ..
- Matsushita K, Kwak L, Hyun N, Bessel M, Agarwal S, Loehr L, et al. Community burden and prognostic impact of reduced kidney function among patients hospitalized with acute decompensated heart failure: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study Community Surveillance. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181373 pubmed publisher..However, most previous reports were from a single hospital, limiting their generalizability. Also, contemporary data using new equation for estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) are needed...
- Jennings M, Tilley D, Ballard S, Villanueva M, Costa F, Lopez M, et al. Case-Case Analysis Using 7 Years of Travelers' Diarrhea Surveillance Data: Preventive and Travel Medicine Applications in Cusco, Peru. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;96:1097-1106 pubmed publisher..Preventive interventions, such as vaccines, directed against these pathogens could significantly reduce the burden of TD. ..
- Beltrán Aguilar E, Eke P, Thornton Evans G, Petersen P. Recording and surveillance systems for periodontal diseases. Periodontol 2000. 2012;60:40-53 pubmed publisher..Finally, we review current case-definitions proposed for surveillance of periodontal disease severity. ..
- White M, Babcock F, Hayes N, Mariotto A, Wong F, Kohler B, et al. The history and use of cancer registry data by public health cancer control programs in the United States. Cancer. 2017;123 Suppl 24:4969-4976 pubmed publisher..Cancer 2017;123:4969-76. Published 2017. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA...
- Wallace R, Etheart M, Ludder F, Augustin P, Fenelon N, Franka R, et al. The Health Impact of Rabies in Haiti and Recent Developments on the Path Toward Elimination, 2010-2015. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:76-83 pubmed publisher..Haiti is well situated to eliminate canine-mediated human rabies deaths in the near future and should serve as a great example to many developing countries struggling with similar barriers and limitations...
- Zubairi A, Nizami S, Raza A, Mehraj V, Rasheed A, Ghanchi N, et al. Severe Plasmodium vivax malaria in Pakistan. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:1851-4 pubmed publisher..P. vivax and P. falciparum accounted for 83% and 13% of cases, respectively; 79.9% of patients with severe malaria were infected with P. vivax. ..
- Bull A, Worth L, Spelman T, Richards M. Antibiotic Prescribing Practices for Prevention of Surgical Site Infections in Australia: Increased Uptake of National Guidelines after Surveillance and Reporting and Impact on Infection Rates. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2017;18:834-840 pubmed publisher..Non-compliance with SAP guidelines is associated with an increased risk for SSI. Quality improvement programs must focus on uptake and implementation of evidence-based guidelines. ..
- Mujuru H, Yen C, Nathoo K, Gonah N, Ticklay I, Mukaratirwa A, et al. Reduction in Diarrhea- and Rotavirus-related Healthcare Visits Among Children <5 Years of Age After National Rotavirus Vaccine Introduction in Zimbabwe. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2017;36:995-999 pubmed publisher..These early results provide evidence to support continued rotavirus vaccination and rotavirus surveillance in Zimbabwe. ..
- Mulders M, Serhan F, Goodson J, Icenogle J, Johnson B, Rota P. Expansion of Surveillance for Vaccine-preventable Diseases: Building on the Global Polio Laboratory Network and the Global Measles and Rubella Laboratory Network Platforms. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:S324-S330 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe the WHO-coordinated laboratory networks supporting VPD surveillance and present a plan for the further development of these networks. ..
- Patterson Lomba O, van Noort S, Cowling B, Wallinga J, Gomes M, Lipsitch M, et al. Utilizing syndromic surveillance data for estimating levels of influenza circulation. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;179:1394-401 pubmed publisher..Estimates of influenza attack rates can be obtained in other settings using analogous, multiseason surveillance data on self-reported ILI together with separate, context-specific estimates of P(ILI | Flu). ..
- Polednak A. Recent improvement in completeness of incidence data on acute myeloid leukemia in US cancer registries. J Registry Manag. 2014;41:77-84 pubmed..Continued surveillance is needed to address the eventual impact of delayed reporting of diagnoses in 2010 on estimates and projections of AML incidence in the US population. ..
- Roth A, Mercier A, Lepers C, Hoy D, Duituturaga S, Benyon E, et al. Concurrent outbreaks of dengue, chikungunya and Zika virus infections - an unprecedented epidemic wave of mosquito-borne viruses in the Pacific 2012-2014. Euro Surveill. 2014;19: pubmed
- Sane J, Reimerink J, Harms M, Bakker J, Mughini Gras L, Schimmer B, et al. Human hantavirus infections in the Netherlands. Emerg Infect Dis. 2014;20:2107-10 pubmed publisher..The estimated seroprevalence in the screened municipalities in 2006-2007 was 1.7% (95% CI 1.3%-2.3%). Findings suggest that hantavirus infections are underdiagnosed in the Netherlands. ..
- Rivera L, Li Y, Savage R, Crowcroft N, Bolotin S, Rosella L, et al. Evaluation of the ability of standardized supports to improve public health response to syndromic surveillance for respiratory diseases in Canada. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:199 pubmed publisher..It also raises questions about the minimum capacity of the agency and minimum population size that are required for an effective response. ..
- Xu Q, Gel Y, Ramirez Ramirez L, Nezafati K, Zhang Q, Tsui K. Forecasting influenza in Hong Kong with Google search queries and statistical model fusion. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176690 pubmed publisher..The proposed methodology is easily tractable and computationally efficient. ..
- Dhungana G, Sharma S, Khadga P, Verma S. Surveillance of tuberculosis among HIV infected persons in three different regions of Nepal. Nepal Med Coll J. 2013;15:113-6 pubmed..25). TB case detection rate by cultural technique was found to be twice as superior as direct microscopy. It can be concluded that smear negative TB constitute the significant proportion of TB cases in HIV infected persons. ..