Genomes and Genes
Summary: Ongoing scrutiny of a population (general population, study population, target population, etc.), generally using methods distinguished by their practicability, uniformity, and frequently their rapidity, rather than by complete accuracy.
- Bloom Feshbach K, Alonso W, Charu V, Tamerius J, Simonsen L, Miller M, et al. Latitudinal variations in seasonal activity of influenza and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV): a global comparative review. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54445 pubmed publisher..Future studies should attempt to link the observed latitudinal gradients in seasonality of viral epidemics with climatic and population factors, and explore regional differences in disease transmission dynamics and attack rates. ..
- Cooper G, Kou T, Barnholtz Sloan J, Koroukian S, Schluchter M. Use of colonoscopy for polyp surveillance in Medicare beneficiaries. Cancer. 2013;119:1800-7 pubmed publisher..Coupled with other data indicating the overuse of follow-up colonoscopy in patients without polyps, there appeared to be significant discordance between guidelines and actual practice. ..
- Wolfe F, Brahler E, Hinz A, Häuser W. Fibromyalgia prevalence, somatic symptom reporting, and the dimensionality of polysymptomatic distress: results from a survey of the general population. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2013;65:777-85 pubmed publisher..To evaluate fibromyalgia in the general population with emphasis on prevalence, dimensionality, and somatic symptom severity...
- Hay S, George D, Moyes C, Brownstein J. Big data opportunities for global infectious disease surveillance. PLoS Med. 2013;10:e1001413 pubmed publisher..Simon Hay and colleagues discuss the potential and challenges of producing continually updated infectious disease risk maps using diverse and large volume data sources such as social media. ..
- Laytin A, Dicker R, Gerdin M, Roy N, Sarang B, Kumar V, et al. Comparing traditional and novel injury scoring systems in a US level-I trauma center: an opportunity for improved injury surveillance in low- and middle-income countries. J Surg Res. 2017;215:60-66 pubmed publisher..Implementation of these resource-appropriate tools in LMICs can improve injury surveillance, guiding quality improvement efforts, and supporting advocacy for resource allocation commensurate with the volume and severity of trauma. ..
- Wang A, Chughtai A, Lui K, Sullivan E. Morbidity and mortality among very preterm singletons following fertility treatment in Australia and New Zealand, a population cohort study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017;17:50 pubmed publisher..Preconception planning should include comprehensive information about the benefits and risks of fertility treatment on the neonatal outcomes. ..
- Amin R, Decesare J, Hans J, Roussos Ross K. Epidemiologic Surveillance of Teenage Birth Rates in the United States, 2006-2012. Obstet Gynecol. 2017;129:1068-1077 pubmed publisher..These clusters are not random and remain higher than expected when adjusted for poverty and education. This data set provides a framework to focus targeted interventions to reduce teenage birth rates in this high-risk population. ..
- Shim J, Song B, Lee J, Lee S, Park J, Choi D, et al. Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases Etiology Research Center (CMERC) cohort: study protocol and results of the first 3 years of enrollment. Epidemiol Health. 2017;39:e2017016 pubmed publisher..The data have been uploaded to iCReaT, the clinical research information management system of the Korea National Institute of Health. ..
- Yaghjyan L, Arao R, Brokamp C, O Meara E, Sprague B, Ghita G, et al. Association between air pollution and mammographic breast density in the Breast Cancer Surveilance Consortium. Breast Cancer Res. 2017;19:36 pubmed publisher..80, 95% CI 0.73-0.87). Exposure to PM2.5 and O3 may in part explain geographical variation in mammographic density. Further studies are warranted to determine the causal nature of these associations. ..
- Ly K, Jiles R, Teshale E, Foster M, Pesano R, Holmberg S. Hepatitis C Virus Infection Among Reproductive-Aged Women and Children in the United States, 2006 to 2014. Ann Intern Med. 2017;166:775-782 pubmed publisher..These data suggest a recent increase in HCV infection among reproductive-aged women and may inform deliberations regarding a role for routine HCV screening during pregnancy. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. ..
- Caruana M, Grech V. Long-term outcomes after aortic coarctation repair in Maltese patients: A population-based study. Congenit Heart Dis. 2017;12:588-595 pubmed publisher..An important proportion require repair site reintervention. Specialist follow-up and aggressive cardiovascular risk factor management are mandatory to improve long-term outcomes. ..
- Wolters F, Zonneveld H, Hofman A, van der Lugt A, Koudstaal P, Vernooij M, et al. Cerebral Perfusion and the Risk of Dementia: A Population-Based Study. Circulation. 2017;136:719-728 pubmed publisher..019). Cerebral hypoperfusion is associated with accelerated cognitive decline and an increased risk of dementia in the general population. ..
- Rossheim M, Stephenson C. Parkour injuries presenting to United States emergency departments, 2009-2015. Am J Emerg Med. 2017;35:1503-1505 pubmed publisher..Understanding the nature of parkour-related injuries may help inform prevention efforts. However, more systematic monitoring of participation in parkour and related injuries is needed. ..
- Wang L, Cao W. [Surveillance as an effective approach to infectious diseases control and prevention]. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2017;38:417-418 pubmed publisher..quot;?????"?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????. ..
- Cardona Grau D, Chiang G. Evaluation and Lifetime Management of the Urinary Tract in Patients with Myelomeningocele. Urol Clin North Am. 2017;44:391-401 pubmed publisher..These complex medical needs become more challenging as patients age and need to transition to adult providers. ..
- Wei P, Cai Z, Hua J, Yu W, Chen J, Kang K, et al. Pains and Gains from China's Experiences with Emerging Epidemics: From SARS to H7N9. Biomed Res Int. 2016;2016:5717108 pubmed publisher..China is now using its hard-gained experience to support the fight against Ebola in Africa and the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome in its own country. ..
- Tefferi A, Betti S, Barraco D, Mudireddy M, Shah S, Hanson C, et al. Gender and survival in essential thrombocythemia: A two-center study of 1,494 patients. Am J Hematol. 2017;92:1193-1197 pubmed publisher..The observations from the current study suggest that women with ET live longer than their male counterparts and that gender might supersede thrombosis history as a risk variable for overall survival. ..
- Kaewpitoon S, Rujirakul R, Loyd R, Panpimanmas S, Matrakool L, Tongtawee T, et al. Surveillance of Populations at Risk of Cholangiocarcinoma Development in Rural Communities of Thailand Using the Korat-CCA Verbal Screening Test. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2016;17:2205-9 pubmed..This study indicates that KCVST is a potential useful too which decrease the cost of large scale CCA screening. ..
- Shi Q, Ma J. [Big data analysis of flow of tuberculosis cases in China, 2014]. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2016;37:668-72 pubmed publisher..It is necessary to strengthen the research on influence of TB case flow for seeking medical care on the spread of TB to provide evidence for better TB prevention and control. ..
- Harduar Morano L, Waller A. Evaluation of the Components of the North Carolina Syndromic Surveillance System Heat Syndrome Case Definition. Public Health Rep. 2017;132:40S-47S pubmed publisher..Other jurisdictions may benefit from refining their heat syndrome case definition. ..
- Bugeza J, Kankya C, Muleme J, Akandinda A, Sserugga J, Nantima N, et al. Participatory evaluation of delivery of animal health care services by community animal health workers in Karamoja region of Uganda. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179110 pubmed publisher..For sustainability of animal health care services in the region continuous training and strategic deployment of paraprofessionals that are formally recognised by the traditional civil service to gradually replace CAHWs is recommended. ..
- Cavalcanti L, Freitas A, Brasil P, Cunha R. Surveillance of deaths caused by arboviruses in Brazil: from dengue to chikungunya. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz. 2017;112:583-585 pubmed publisher..The major challenge ahead is to investigate deaths suspected of occurring due to arbovirus infections and to understand the role of each infection in the unfavourable outcome. ..
- Coly S, Vincent N, Vaissière E, Charras Garrido M, Gallay A, Ducrot C, et al. Waterborne disease outbreak detection: an integrated approach using health administrative databases. J Water Health. 2017;15:475-489 pubmed publisher..For ten of them, additional environmental investigations identified at least one event that could have caused microbiological contamination of DWN in the days previous to the occurrence of a reported WBDO. ..
- Ampt F, El Hayek C, Agius P, Bowring A, Bartnik N, van Gemert C, et al. Anorectal swabs as a marker of male-to-male sexual exposure in STI surveillance systems. Epidemiol Infect. 2017;145:2530-2535 pubmed publisher..Anorectal swabs are a valid marker of MSM behaviour in surveillance data from sexual health clinics, and they are likely to be particularly useful for monitoring STI trends among MSM with higher risk behaviour...
- Chen Y, Sheu S, Hu H, Chu D, Chou P. Association between retinal vein occlusion and an increased risk of acute myocardial infarction: A nationwide population-based follow-up study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184016 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the CRVO group had a significantly higher risk of AMI than the BRVO group. People with RVO are at significantly greater risk of developing AMI than individuals without RVO. ..
- Fabiani M, Ferrante G, Minardi V, Giambi C, Riccardo F, Declich S, et al. Comparison of rubella immunization rates in immigrant and Italian women of childbearing age: Results from the Italian behavioral surveillance system PASSI (2011-2015). PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178122 pubmed publisher..We evaluated differences in rubella immunization rate (RIR) between immigrant and Italian women of childbearing age and tried to identify the driving factors causing them...
- Baltazar C, Taibo C, Sacarlal J, Gujral L, Salomão C, Doyle T. Mozambique field epidemiology and laboratory training program: a pathway for strengthening human resources in applied epidemiology. Pan Afr Med J. 2017;27:233 pubmed publisher..New challenges have emerged, causing a need to expand the preparation and response to emerging disease threats and public health emergencies...
- Zhang Q, Zheng W, Li H, Gao J, Fang J, Gao L, et al. [The joint effects of major lifestyle factors on stomach cancer risk among Chinese men: a prospective cohort study]. Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2017;51:386-392 pubmed publisher..93?0.89~0.97?????0~3??????????8~11??????rr?95%ci???0.64?0.47~0.87?? ??? ?????????????5???????????????????????????????????????????????????????1/3?hli????????????. ..
- Mirzal A, Chaudhry S. Call for a Computer-Aided Cancer Detection and Classification Research Initiative in Oman. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2016;17:2375-82 pubmed..We also discuss future cancer research directions and benefits to Oman economy for entering the cancer research and treatment business as it is a multi-billion dollar industry worldwide. ..
- Diószegi J, Fiatal S, Toth R, Moravcsik Kornyicki Á, Kósa Z, Sandor J, et al. Distribution Characteristics and Combined Effect of Polymorphisms Affecting Alcohol Consumption Behaviour in the Hungarian General and Roma Populations. Alcohol Alcohol. 2017;52:104-111 pubmed publisher..Population-based measures to tackle the fundamental drivers of consumption, which take account of cultural acceptability, are needed to reduce harmful alcohol consumption in the Roma population. ..
- Baker S, McBeth J, Chew Graham C, Wilkie R. Musculoskeletal pain and co-morbid insomnia in adults; a population study of the prevalence and impact on restricted social participation. BMC Fam Pract. 2017;18:17 pubmed publisher..Clinicians should be aware of the common co-occurrence of insomnia symptoms, inquire about sleep in patients consulting with pain, and offer interventions that target both sleep and pain. ..
- Adams D, Thomas K, Jajosky R, Foster L, Sharp P, Onweh D, et al. Summary of Notifiable Infectious Diseases and Conditions - United States, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;63:1-152 pubmed publisher..This summary is available at http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/mmwr_nd/index.html. This site also includes summary publications from previous years. ..
- Leval A, Hergens M, Persson K, Ortqvist A. Real-time real-world analysis of seasonal influenza vaccine effectiveness: method development and assessment of a population-based cohort in Stockholm County, Sweden, seasons 2011/12 to 2014/15. Euro Surveill. 2016;21: pubmed publisher..With the use of population-based patient register data on influenza-specific outcomes it will be possible to obtain real-time estimates of seasonal influenza VE. ..
- Vial F, Wei W, Held L. Methodological challenges to multivariate syndromic surveillance: a case study using Swiss animal health data. BMC Vet Res. 2016;12:288 pubmed publisher..Deciding on the amount of corroboration among data streams that is required to escalate into an alert is not a trivial task given the sparse data on the events under consideration (e.g. disease outbreaks). ..
- Johansson H, Norlander K, Janson C, Malinovschi A, Nordang L, Emtner M. The relationship between exercise induced bronchial obstruction and health related quality of life in female and male adolescents from a general population. BMC Pulm Med. 2016;16:63 pubmed publisher..These differences were not observed in males. EIB does not appear to affect the level of daily physical activity neither in females nor males. ..
- Guhn M, Janus M, Enns J, Brownell M, Forer B, Duku E, et al. Examining the social determinants of children's developmental health: protocol for building a pan-Canadian population-based monitoring system for early childhood development. BMJ Open. 2016;6:e012020 pubmed publisher..The CanNECD Study will guide future early childhood development action and policies, using the database as a tool for formative programme and policy evaluation. ..
- Kelley W, Bradley K, Duncan A, Smith J. Blood Donor Screening for West NiIe Virus in Oklahoma and Its Contribution to Disease Surveillance, 2003 -2013. J Okla State Med Assoc. 2015;108:351-6 pubmed..A viremic blood donor was the seasonal index case of WNV transmission in Oklahoma during one year  of the study period. Blood donors remain an important surveillance component for epidemiologic monitoring of WNV in Oklahoma. ..
- Hénaux V, Calavas D. Evaluation of the cost-effectiveness of bovine brucellosis surveillance in a disease-free country using stochastic scenario tree modelling. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183037 pubmed publisher..e. 25-56% decrease). Besides, fostering the evolution of the surveillance system in one of these directions would be in agreement with the European regulations and farmers perceptions on brucellosis risk and surveillance. ..
- Yu S. [Schistosomiasis must be eradicated: a review of fighting schitosomiasis in Qingpu, Shanghai]. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2016;37:1044-6 pubmed publisher..In 1985, it was confirmed that schistosomiasis had been eradicated in Qingpu and other suburb areas of Shanghai. ..
- Chaine M, Gubbels S, Voldstedlund M, Kristensen B, Nielsen J, Andersen L, et al. Description and validation of a new automated surveillance system for Clostridium difficile in Denmark. Epidemiol Infect. 2017;145:2594-2602 pubmed publisher..This nationwide electronic system can greatly strengthen surveillance and research in various applications...
- Olszewski A, Chen C, Gutman R, Treon S, Castillo J. Comparative outcomes of immunochemotherapy regimens in Waldenström macroglobulinaemia. Br J Haematol. 2017;179:106-115 pubmed publisher..The survival advantage strongly supports rituximab as part of upfront therapy for WM/LPL, whereas regimens with either purine analogues or alkylating agents result in similar outcomes. ..
- Johnson N, Johnson B, Denning G, Jennissen C. Pediatric moped-related injuries in the United States from 2002 to 2014: Age-related comparisons of mechanisms and outcomes. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;83:S201-S209 pubmed publisher..This would include improved operator training and standardized, evidence-based, well-enforced safety legislation. Epidemiologic study, level III. ..
- Karampoor S, Zahednasab H, Ramagopalan S, Mehrpour M, Etemadifar M, Alsahebfosoul F, et al. Cytomegalovirus and varicella zoster virus seropositivity of Iranian patients with multiple sclerosis: A population-based study. J Neuroimmunol. 2017;309:4-6 pubmed publisher..Our results showed significant higher titers of anti-CMV and anti-VZV IgG titers in serum of MS patients with respect to healthy individuals (for both p<0.001). It seems that CMV and VZV play a key role in MS pathogenesis. ..
- Wolf I, Du Y, Knopf H. Changes in prevalence of psychotropic drug use and alcohol consumption among the elderly in Germany: results of two National Health Interview and Examination Surveys 1997-99 and 2008-11. BMC Psychiatry. 2017;17:90 pubmed publisher..Further studies are required to investigate resulting health consequences and public health relevance of those outcomes. ..
- Richardson M, Van Den Eeden S, Roberts E, Ferrara A, Paulukonis S, English P. Evaluating the Use of Electronic Health Records for Type 2 Diabetes Surveillance in 2 California Counties, 2010-2014. Public Health Rep. 2017;132:463-470 pubmed publisher..ELR data may be easier to access than a patient's entire EHR, but outcome metric validation with diabetes diagnoses would need to be ongoing. Future research should validate ELR and EHR data across multiple providers. ..
- Solon J, O Neill M, Chang K, Deady S, Cahill R, Moran B, et al. An 18 year population-based study on site of origin and outcome of patients with peritoneal malignancy in Ireland. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2017;43:1924-1931 pubmed publisher..PM is more common than previously reported and survival remains poor. These findings highlight the need for greater clinician awareness and the need to focus on new therapeutic approaches to improve patient outcomes. ..
- Revere D, Hills R, Dixon B, Gibson P, Grannis S. Notifiable condition reporting practices: implications for public health agency participation in a health information exchange. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:247 pubmed publisher..In particular, communicating the benefits of public health's use of the data may reduce a perceived lack of information reciprocity between clinical and public health organizations. ..
- Li M, Tse L, Chan W, Kwok C, Leung S, Wu C, et al. Nighttime eating and breast cancer among Chinese women in Hong Kong. Breast Cancer Res. 2017;19:31 pubmed publisher..48-3.52, P < 0.001) but not among women with BMI ≥25. Results from this study suggest a possible association between nighttime eating behavior and breast cancer. These findings need to be confirmed by independent large studies. ..
- Maes E, Diop O, Jorba J, Chavan S, Tangermann R, Wassilak S. Surveillance Systems to Track Progress Toward Polio Eradication - Worldwide, 2015-2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017;66:359-365 pubmed publisher..To complete and certify polio eradication, surveillance gaps must be identified and surveillance activities, including supervision, monitoring, and specimen collection and handling, further strengthened. ..
- Cowger T, Burns C, Sharif S, Gary H, Iber J, Henderson E, et al. The role of supplementary environmental surveillance to complement acute flaccid paralysis surveillance for wild poliovirus in Pakistan - 2011-2013. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180608 pubmed publisher..Overall, targeted ES through strategic selection of sites has important implications in the eradication endgame strategy. ..
- Bastawrous A, Mathenge W, Wing K, Bastawrous M, Rono H, Weiss H, et al. The incidence of diabetes mellitus and diabetic retinopathy in a population-based cohort study of people age 50Â years and over in Nakuru, Kenya. BMC Endocr Disord. 2017;17:19 pubmed publisher..Strengthening of health systems is necessary to reduce incident diabetes and its complications in this and similar settings. ..