organ dysfunction scores
Summary: Ratings that express in numerical values the degree of impairment or abnormality in the function of specific organs.
- Brain M, Winson E, Roodenburg O, McNeil J. Non anti-coagulant factors associated with filter life in continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT): a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Nephrol. 2017;18:69 pubmed publisher..There remains an absence of robust evidence outside of anti-coagulation strategies despite over 20 years of therapy delivery however trends favour CVVHD-F over CVVH. ..
- Donnelly J, Safford M, Shapiro N, Baddley J, Wang H. Application of the Third International Consensus Definitions for Sepsis (Sepsis-3) Classification: a retrospective population-based cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017;17:661-670 pubmed publisher..National Institute for Nursing Research, National Center for Research Resources, and National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. ..
- Kruser J, Rakhra S, Sacotte R, Wehbe F, Rademaker A, Wunderink R, et al. Intensive Care Unit Outcomes Among Patients With Cancer After Palliative Radiation Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;99:854-858 pubmed publisher..Palliative RT referral may represent an opportunity to discuss end-of-life treatment preferences with patients and families. ..
- Peigne V, Azoulay E, Coquet I, Mariotte E, Darmon M, Legendre P, et al. The prognostic value of ADAMTS13 (a disintegrin and metalloprotease with thrombospondin type 1 repeats, member 13) deficiency in septic shock patients involves interleukin-6 and is not dependent on disseminated intravascular coagulation. Crit Care. 2013;17:R273 pubmed publisher..0003). Septic shock was associated with a functional deficiency of ADAMTS13, independently of DIC. ADAMTS13 functional deficiency is then a prognostic factor for mortality in septic shock patients, independently of DIC. ..
- Chang C, Chen S, Fan P, Lee C, Yang H, Chang S, et al. Sequential organ failure assessment score predicts mortality after coronary artery bypass grafting. BMC Surg. 2017;17:22 pubmed publisher..Multivariate analysis identified only the SOFA score as being an independent risk factor for mortality. In summary, the SOFA score can be used to accurately identify mortality after isolated CABG. ..
- Matics T, Sanchez Pinto L. Adaptation and Validation of a Pediatric Sequential Organ Failure Assessment Score and Evaluation of the Sepsis-3 Definitions in Critically Ill Children. JAMA Pediatr. 2017;171:e172352 pubmed publisher..Three additional pediatric organ dysfunction scores were calculated for comparison...
- Schilder L, Nurmohamed S, Bosch F, Purmer I, den Boer S, Kleppe C, et al. Citrate anticoagulation versus systemic heparinisation in continuous venovenous hemofiltration in critically ill patients with acute kidney injury: a multi-center randomized clinical trial. Crit Care. 2014;18:472 pubmed publisher..However, citrate was superior in terms of safety, efficacy and costs. Clinicaltrials.gov NCT00209378. Registered 13th September 2005. ..
- Metkus T, Guallar E, Sokoll L, Morrow D, Tomaselli G, Brower R, et al. Prevalence and Prognostic Association of Circulating Troponin in the Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. Crit Care Med. 2017;45:1709-1717 pubmed publisher..64-1.39; p = 0.93). Circulating troponin is detectable in over 90% of patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome and is associated with degree of critical illness. The magnitude of myocardial injury correlated with mortality. ..
- Chang T, Tu Y, Lee C, Chao A, Huang C, Wang M, et al. Effects of Polymyxin B Hemoperfusion on Mortality in Patients With Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock: A Systemic Review, Meta-Analysis Update, and Disease Severity Subgroup Meta-Analysis. Crit Care Med. 2017;45:e858-e864 pubmed publisher..The present study demonstrated that polymyxin B hemoperfusion treatment may reduce mortality in patients with severe sepsis and septic shock in specific disease severity subgroups. ..
- Jonsson N, Nilsen T, Gille Johnson P, Bell M, Martling C, Larsson A, et al. Calprotectin as an early biomarker of bacterial infections in critically ill patients: an exploratory cohort assessment. Crit Care Resusc. 2017;19:205-213 pubmed..71; 95% CI, 0.68-0.89). Plasma calprotectin appears to be a useful early marker of bacterial infections in critically ill patients, with better predictive characteristics than WBC and PCT. ..
- Zhang W, Danzeng Q, Feng X, Cao X, Chen W, Kang Y. Sequential Organ Failure Assessment predicts outcomes of pulse indicator contour continuous cardiac output-directed goal therapy: A prospective study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e8111 pubmed publisher..6, 1.2 to 2.1, and <.001, respectively.The predictive model of the SOFA score is able to accurately predict the outcomes of critically ill patients with septic shock undergoing PDGT. ..
- Jawa R, Vosswinkel J, McCormack J, Huang E, Thode H, Shapiro M, et al. Risk assessment of the blunt trauma victim: The role of the quick Sequential Organ Failure Assessment Score (qSOFA). Am J Surg. 2017;214:397-401 pubmed publisher..4% with qSOFA = 2; 23.1% with qSOFA = 3; p < 0.001). On multivariate analysis, qSOFA score was an independent predictor of mortality. qSOFA scores are directly associated with adverse outcomes in blunt trauma victims. ..
- Marzorati C, Mokart D, Pène F, Lemiale V, Kouatchet A, Mayaux J, et al. Neurological failure in ICU patients with hematological malignancies: A prospective cohort study. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178824 pubmed publisher..Knowledge of these risk factors might help to optimize management strategies. ..
- Khanna A, English S, Wang X, Ham K, Tumlin J, Szerlip H, et al. Angiotensin II for the Treatment of Vasodilatory Shock. N Engl J Med. 2017;377:419-430 pubmed publisher..Vasodilatory shock that does not respond to high-dose vasopressors is associated with high mortality. We investigated the effectiveness of angiotensin II for the treatment of patients with this condition...
- Churpek M, Snyder A, Sokol S, Pettit N, Edelson D. Investigating the Impact of Different Suspicion of Infection Criteria on the Accuracy of Quick Sepsis-Related Organ Failure Assessment, Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome, and Early Warning Scores. Crit Care Med. 2017;45:1805-1812 pubmed publisher..Systemic inflammatory response syndrome was the least predictive and electronic Cardiac Arrest Risk Triage the most predictive regardless of how infection was defined. ..
- Wong M, Chen M, Chen H, Kuo Y, Lin I, Wu C, et al. Application of chronic liver failure-sequential organ failure assessment score for the predication of mortality after esophageal variceal hemorrhage post endoscopic ligation. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182529 pubmed publisher..For patients with hepatocellular carcinoma, CLIF-SOFA score ?7 suggests higher 6-week and hospital mortality. ..
- Yang Y, Guo F, Kang Y, Zang B, Cui W, Qin B, et al. Epidemiology, clinical characteristics, and risk factors for mortality of early- and late-onset invasive candidiasis in intensive care units in China. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7830 pubmed publisher..SOFA score at ICI diagnosis in the EOIC group and interval from ICU admission to ICI occurrence in the LOIC group were identified as risk factors for mortality...
- Yu S, Leung S, Heo M, Soto G, Shah R, Gunda S, et al. Comparison of risk prediction scoring systems for ward patients: a retrospective nested case-control study. Crit Care. 2014;18:R132 pubmed publisher..In addition, scoring models that take advantage of a score's change over time may have increased prognostic value over models that use only a single set of physiologic measurements. ..
- Shankar Hari M, Singer M, Spencer J. Can Concurrent Abnormalities in Free Light Chains and Immunoglobulin Concentrations Identify a Target Population for Immunoglobulin Trials in Sepsis?. Crit Care Med. 2017;45:1829-1836 pubmed publisher..The additional prognostic value of free light chain ? and the significance of allelic inclusion in B cells in sepsis require further investigation. ..
- Sekhon M, McLean N, Henderson W, Chittock D, Griesdale D. Association of hemoglobin concentration and mortality in critically ill patients with severe traumatic brain injury. Crit Care. 2012;16:R128 pubmed publisher..A mean 7-day hemoglobin concentration of < 90g/L is associated with increased hospital mortality in patients with severe traumatic brain injury. ..
- Dangers L, Bréchot N, Schmidt M, Lebreton G, Hekimian G, Nieszkowska A, et al. Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation for Acute Decompensated Heart Failure. Crit Care Med. 2017;45:1359-1366 pubmed publisher..Venoarterial-extracorporeal membrane oxygenation should be considered for patients with acute decompensated heart failure, but timing of implantation is crucial. ..
- Enger T, Philipp A, Lubnow M, Fischer M, Camboni D, Lunz D, et al. Long-Term Survival in Adult Patients With Severe Acute Lung Failure Receiving Veno-Venous Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation. Crit Care Med. 2017;45:1718-1725 pubmed publisher..Preexisting morbidity and functional ability at hospital discharge may be important determinants of long-term survival in veno-venous extracorporeal membrane oxygenation patients. ..
- Sun J, Yuan S, Mu X, Zhang W, Liu Y, Zou L, et al. Effects of early enteral nutrition on T helper lymphocytes of surgical septic patients: A retrospective observational study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7702 pubmed publisher..Compared with DEN, EEN could improve the disease severity and clinical outcomes, but not decrease the 28-day mortality of surgical septic patients. ..
- García de Acilu M, Marin Corral J, Vázquez A, Ruano L, Magret M, Ferrer R, et al. Hypoxemic Patients With Bilateral Infiltrates Treated With High-Flow Nasal Cannula Present a Similar Pattern of Biomarkers of Inflammation and Injury to Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Patients. Crit Care Med. 2017;45:1845-1853 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that these high-flow nasal cannula patients should be considered as acute respiratory distress syndrome patients. ..
- Adamzik M, Hamburger T, Petrat F, Peters J, de Groot H, Hartmann M. Free hemoglobin concentration in severe sepsis: methods of measurement and prediction of outcome. Crit Care. 2012;16:R125 pubmed publisher..Thus, free hemoglobin can not be used to diagnose severe sepsis in critical illness. Free hemoglobin is an important new predictor of survival in severe sepsis. ..
- Haydar S, Spanier M, Weems P, Wood S, Strout T. Comparison of QSOFA score and SIRS criteria as screening mechanisms for emergency department sepsis. Am J Emerg Med. 2017;35:1730-1733 pubmed publisher..As the time to meet qSOFA criteria was significantly longer than for SIRS, relying on qSOFA alone may delay initiation of evidence-based interventions known to improve sepsis-related outcomes. ..
- Sakr Y, Lobo S, Moreno R, Gerlach H, Ranieri V, Michalopoulos A, et al. Patterns and early evolution of organ failure in the intensive care unit and their relation to outcome. Crit Care. 2012;16:R222 pubmed publisher..In patients with single-organ failure, in-hospital mortality was higher in sepsis than in nonsepsis patients. However, in multiorgan failure, mortality rates were not influenced by the presence of sepsis. ..
- Chen Y, Li C. Risk stratification and prognostic performance of the predisposition, infection, response, and organ dysfunction (PIRO) scoring system in septic patients in the emergency department: a cohort study. Crit Care. 2014;18:R74 pubmed publisher..05) in predicting ICU admission and MOD. The study indicates that PIRO is helpful for risk stratification and prognostic determinations in septic patients in the ED. ..
- van Vught L, Scicluna B, Wiewel M, Hoogendijk A, Klein Klouwenberg P, Ong D, et al. Association of Gender With Outcome and Host Response in Critically Ill Sepsis Patients. Crit Care Med. 2017;45:1854-1862 pubmed publisher..More than 80% of the leukocyte blood gene expression response was similar in male and female patients. The host response and outcome in male and female sepsis patients requiring ICU admission are largely similar. ..
- Broman M, Wilsson A, Hansson F, Klarin B. Analysis of Hypo- and Hyperphosphatemia in an Intensive Care Unit Cohort. Anesth Analg. 2017;124:1897-1905 pubmed publisher..Many underlying pathophysiologic mechanisms may play a role. A rapidly changing phosphate level or isolated hypo or hyperphosphatemia should be urgently corrected. ..
- Bulger E, May A, Dankner W, Maislin G, Robinson B, Shirvan A. Validation of a clinical trial composite endpoint for patients with necrotizing soft tissue infections. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;83:622-627 pubmed publisher..NICCE offers an opportunity to demonstrate a clinically relevant treatment effect for patients enrolled in clinical trials for necrotizing soft tissue infection. Prognostic/Epidemiological, level III; Therapeutic, level IV. ..